• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

General Anime Thread

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Sony "near aquisition" of Crunchyroll.

So if this deal goes through, in terms of anime catalogs we could go back in time couple of years to a 2016-2018 period when Funimation and Crunchyroll had a partnership deal where CR users could watch anime licensed by Funi.
Official:

AT&T to Sell Crunchyroll to Sony’s Funimation Global Group

press release:

Culver City, CA and Dallas, TX, December 9, 2020 — Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. and AT&T Inc.* (NYSE:T) today announced that AT&T agreed to sell its Crunchyroll anime business to Funimation Global Group, LLC. Funimation is a joint venture between Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. and Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc.’s subsidiary, Aniplex Inc.

Crunchyroll is a premier anime direct-to-consumer service within AT&T’s WarnerMedia segment with more than 3 million SVOD subscribers and growing. It serves 90 million registered users across more than 200 countries and territories offering AVOD, mobile games, manga, events merchandise and distribution. The combination of Crunchyroll and Funimation provides the opportunity to broaden distribution for their content partners and expand fan-centric offerings for consumers.

“The Crunchyroll team has done an extraordinary job of not only growing the Crunchyroll brand but also building a passionate community of anime fans. Crunchyroll’s success is a direct result of the company’s culture and commitment to their fans,” said Tony Goncalves, Chief Revenue Officer, WarnerMedia. “By combining with Funimation, they will continue to nurture a global community and bring more anime to more people. I’m incredibly proud of the Crunchyroll team and what they have been able to accomplish in the digital media space in such a short period of time. They’ve created an end-to-end global ecosystem for this incredible art form.”

“We are proud to bring Crunchyroll into the Sony family,” said Tony Vinciquerra, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment. “Through Funimation and our terrific partners at Aniplex and Sony Music Entertainment Japan, we have a deep understanding of this global artform and are well-positioned to deliver outstanding content to audiences around the world. Together with Crunchyroll, we will create the best possible experience for fans and greater opportunity for creators, producers and publishers in Japan and elsewhere. Funimation has been doing this for over 25 years and we look forward to continuing to leverage the power of creativity and technology to succeed in this rapidly growing segment of entertainment.”

The purchase price for the transaction is $1.175 billion subject to customary working capital and other adjustments, and the proceeds will be paid in cash at closing. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals.

----------

Don't you love monopoly !! /s

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
So this week I did the weirdest thing and watched this thing, the freaking Powerpuff Girls:wacky: anime. I knew it existed for a while but never gave it a watch until recently and...it's bizzarely interesting? If you liked the OG cartoon this anime is...something that you could give it a watch...maybe?

PPGZ_Vol_1.jpg

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
I've been having a friend over every friday night for the past few months to watch anime, and just saw this thread to figured I'd respond since we watched "mirai nikki" this week and last and it just reminded me that Yuno Gasai is just too under-appreciated as a character.

Honestly, I tend to see people look at her as just some crazy chick but I think she's genuinely one of the most interesting and best written characters I've ever seen. She's like Subaru, but done right, and yet people always dismiss her as just crazy. You'd be crazy too if you'd gone through the shit she's gone through.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
Anyone here watch Food Wars? Foodgasm the anime, not a joke :monster:
No, but I probably will soon, I know I should.
I did rewatch Keijo today with a friend, and after that I finally watched the quintessential quintuplets after seeing a thumbnail for a season 2 trailer.
And now I am sad because I just know my girl won't win (they never do), and for some illogical reason that bothers me more than it has any right to.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
started watching she the ultimate weapon on netflix jp since i remember knowing of it as a sad series and i am a sad person

my overwhelming initial thoughts is i feel like the setup would be better without the military project aspect or at least reworked somehow. each time it comes up i just think of how it doesn’t make sense

idk if i am explaining this well

the idea that for their top secret ultimate weapon they would choose a random girl (or maybe she’s not random, i am only about 5 episodes in), who cannot tell people about her secret. but they also just let her live at home with her parents and brother, let her go to school like normal, let her just walk around like normal. there’s the surveillance stuff but it seems kinda lax

i just keep getting hung up on this aspect of it

also the way all the character constantly look like they’re blushing with those pink lines, and if they want them to blush they have to add a reddish blur under them. a blush upon a blush

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
While the anime is okay, I felt the manga was fantastic. And by fantastic, I mean it punches your heart several times, non-stop.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i remember reading a scanlation of the first chapter years ago but maybe i should check it out again

looking up how many volumes there are, i'm finding out there are also two ovas and a live action film

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Any fans of Attack on Titan here? The manga will end next month. It's hard to talk about the ending since the fans are so divided elsewhere.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Any fans of Attack on Titan here? The manga will end next month. It's hard to talk about the ending since the fans are so divided elsewhere.

Loving it. I adore chapter 138.

It does feel like it needed ~10 more chapters to land gracefully, but it's hitting the right emotional notes.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Loving it. I adore chapter 138.

It does feel like it needed ~10 more chapters to land gracefully, but it's hitting the right emotional notes.
I missed your Avatar lol. Nice.
The last arc has felt rushed to me, but some people are treating it like the worst thing to ever exist which is frustrating.
I think the fight with all of the Ancient Titan shifters lacked tension, and Eren has been too absent for my liking (could still be resolved next chapter though) but overall I like it. 138 was a very good chapter, probably the best since Hange died. I've been speculating on the context for "See you later, Eren" for years now, so seeing it finally come around was great. I was afraid Isayama forgot lol.

Do you think Eren is dead? People have silly theories for how he could still win, but I feel like that would ruin the story.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i think i got up to volume 12 or 13, but now it's ending i should catch up just to see where it goes (i expect it to be ridiculous)

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I watched the first season, and it was kinda cool, but the pacing was so torturous I never continued with it

Last edited:

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
I missed your Avatar lol. Nice.
The last arc has felt rushed to me, but some people are treating it like the worst thing to ever exist which is frustrating.
I think the fight with all of the Ancient Titan shifters lacked tension, and Eren has been too absent for my liking (could still be resolved next chapter though) but overall I like it. 138 was a very good chapter, probably the best since Hange died. I've been speculating on the context for "See you later, Eren" for years now, so seeing it finally come around was great. I was afraid Isayama forgot lol.

Do you think Eren is dead? People have silly theories for how he could still win, but I feel like that would ruin the story.

Yeah there's legit criticism to be had, but too many people were overconfident in their predictions and their egos are showing.

I think Eren's physical body is dead and the fight is over. He might linger - via Paths fuckery - to deliver a final memory shard POV, but no way he transferred to his ass Reiner-style or is secretly connected to Paradis via the Warhammer. Between Ymir smiling and "to the boy who sought freedom... goodbye", it just doesn't feel like another cliffhanger. The end is supposed to be a cross between Jurassic Park (guess the titans aren't going anywhere) and Muv Luv, so I think we'll see Eren one more time in the High School AU.

Agreed the final battle has all the tension of Cloud vs Sephiroth. I was hoping for something like Survey Corps vs Beast Titan at a minimum. AoT is tripping over its own success in making previous battles feel like unwinnable suicide missions, yet having believable outcomes. Making the Founding Titan so overpowered was a mistake if he's gonna job like this.

Oh my god, the way Mikasa's arc wrapped was too perfect. It even explained the angle of Eren's original view of her face! Isayama once said he pities her for being so Eren-centric but that he can't invalidate her feelings, and this absolutely nailed that vision. It's just like Misato kissing Shinji, an absolutely beautifully written relationship closure with an unsettling flourish. Iconic *chef's kiss*

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
this is where never getting invested in theorising how stories will go pays off, head empty and just going along for the ride ?

also i am usually so late to things they’ve usually already ended years ago so i don’t need to make up my own proposals and speculation, why bother when the rest of it is already there waiting for me to get half the way through before never finding the time to finish it and never knowing how it will end

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Yeah there's legit criticism to be had, but too many people were overconfident in their predictions and their egos are showing.
It's just funny to me at this point, it's like the "Here's how Trump can still win" of Anime.
I think Eren's physical body is dead and the fight is over. He might linger - via Paths fuckery - to deliver a final memory shard POV, but no way he transferred to his ass Reiner-style or is secretly connected to Paradis via the Warhammer. Between Ymir smiling and "to the boy who sought freedom... goodbye", it just doesn't feel like another cliffhanger. The end is supposed to be a cross between Jurassic Park (guess the titans aren't going anywhere) and Muv Luv, so I think we'll see Eren one more time in the High School AU.
The 1000 foot long extension cord was such a funny theory. In a better world, that would have just been a meme to laugh at, but people got soooo insistent on it. I even saw a fan-drawn chapter of that actually playing out, and of course Eren was Mr. CHAD ABS FUCK YOU ARMEEN DIE about it. People really wanted Eren to kill everyone.

I feel like the fight has to be over now, the remaining 45 pages doesn't feel like enough to wrap up the dangling plot threads we do have, let alone another extension to the conflict. The current theory is that killing the worm will end the Titan curse, since it gave Ymir those powers in the first place. I don't know if I'd like that or not though.
Agreed the final battle has all the tension of Cloud vs Sephiroth. I was hoping for something like Survey Corps vs Beast Titan at a minimum. AoT is tripping over its own success in making previous battles feel like unwinnable suicide missions, yet having believable outcomes. Making the Founding Titan so overpowered was a mistake if he's gonna job like this.
I think part of the problem is that we ran out of expendable characters by this point. In chapter 50 or the fight with the beast titan, there were plenty of fodder or secondary characters to go around lol. I think even if Connie or Jean had died while fighting Eren, it would have just felt "eh." It's hard to make character deaths feel natural this late in the game I guess. Magath and Hange both died for reasons that felt like they only existed for the sake of a bit of added conflict. I think the worm turning everyone into titans at the last second had a bit more of that "cruel" factor to it, which is why it works better.
Oh my god, the way Mikasa's arc wrapped was too perfect. It even explained the angle of Eren's original view of her face! Isayama once said he pities her for being so Eren-centric but that he can't invalidate her feelings, and this absolutely nailed that vision. It's just like Misato kissing Shinji, an absolutely beautifully written relationship closure with an unsettling flourish. Iconic *chef's kiss*
I should really watch Eva some time lol. Yes, I think it was a nice conclusion for them too.

Top Bottom