General Anime Thread

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Oh my god I'm about to watch the very last Space Dandy episode and my body really isn't ready for something this important ;n;

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
OH MY GOD THIS IS ALMOST LITERALLY 20 MINUTES OF NON-STOP SAKUGA

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA

Based Watanabe, music director

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
Since I didn't post a synopsis. Here ya go via Wikipedia

Akame ga Kill! (Japanese: アカメが斬る! Hepburn: Akame ga Kiru!?, literally meaning "Akame Slashes!") is a Japanese shōnen manga series written by Takahiro and illustrated by Tetsuya Tashiro. It started serialization in Square Enix's Gangan Joker in March 2010. The story focuses on Tatsumi, a young villager who travels to the Capital to raise money for his home only to discover a strong corruption in the area. The assassin group Night Raid recruits the young man to help them in their fight against the Empire to end its corruption.

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
Oh my god I'm about to watch the very last Space Dandy episode and my body really isn't ready for something this important ;n;

pffffffffffffft bro please. the last episode of HXH was last week and its still painful to realize. my feels are stronger than yours, i bet.

at least Seven Deadly Sins will be an anime next month. my brother is freaking crazy about that manga and now he's getting an anime. i hope he doesnt die of a fanboy attack. >_>

btw would it be ok if we talked about manwah on here? i dont see any reason to make another thread on it when we could just add it to this.

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Yeah this is supposed to be a catchall thread :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Hopefully it's mixed in with another track, maybe? Kinda like the track with KenKen which I honestly thought was two separate tracks when I heard it in the show, but turns out it's mixed in :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Watched Gundam Reconguista in G on a whim

I had a good laugh with all the cheesy semi-freeze frames. The one that pops up in the title card is so blatant I can't help but chuckle every time I see it.

Well that was certainly a thing! It certainly felt like a throwback to the 80s, in more ways than one. janky animation style seemed intentional (for better or worse) and the head-scratchingly obtuse cheerleader roles could be done without, but nothing too offensive so far.

The behaviour of the Space Pirate chick was a little inconsistent, flipping between casual and acting as if she knew the colonists and then suddenly all antagonistic and broody. It was a really weird character dynamic.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
A lot of sequels and second seasons this, er, season. The only things that aren't sequels that interest me are Terra Formars and World Trigger. I didn't realize Toei got World Trigger, so as usual it's cheap animation (which is sad for a first episode) and 3-minute end episode recaps. But I'll still watch it because for some reason the manga's premise looks like it would be an offshoot of Advance Wars.

Also catching up on Sword Art Online's second season (I didn't make it through the summer episode, but I don't think I was missing much), but now it looks like we've gotten back to the light novel-type material anyways. I don't care for the romance in this show, but I nerd out when they talk about the technology.

So I'm also going to get back to finishing:

-Log Horizon
-Fate stuff (halfway done with Zero and haven't started the old FateStayNight at all yet)
-Psycho Pass

EDIT: Terraformars is great. It's like space turks.

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Terraformars is so batshit though

Never mind the whole paradigm the mangaka puts between black people and cockroaches :awesomonster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA

For the love of the medium

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
Terraformars is so batshit though

Never mind the whole paradigm the mangaka puts between black people and cockroaches :awesomonster:

my brother is freaking obsessed with that show now lol

also

this is supposed to be a catchall thread :monster:

sorry for my ignorance....but does that mean we can talk about manwah? :T

EDIT: NVM i get it :P

also did you hear of the psycho pass OVA/movie coming out early next year? i'll be pissing my pants waiting for it :rage:

Last edited:

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
my brother is freaking obsessed with that show now lol

I stopped at episode 3. It's so cheaply censored that it blots out half the screen, so I just restarted with the manga and went from there. I can see why they want to make an OVA because the anime jumped an arc ahead, and also left out quite a bit of the anime cast's backstories.

Last edited:

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
I stopped at episode 3. It's so cheaply censored that it blots out half the screen, so I just restarted with the manga and went from there. I can see why they want to make an OVA because the anime jumped an arc ahead, and also left out quite a bit of the anime cast's backstories.

yea that's what he complains of all the time too.

but that doesnt stop him from watching it :monster:

long (kinda) behind review of clannad part 1

Untitled-2_zpsi77aqrgw.gif

so, when i first came to it, it was in some anime group that posted some pic meme that had the Part 2 picture shown. i thought about whether i would look at it or not, but decided on doing it since i didnt have much to watch anyway at the moment. besides, i was interested by the cover; i wanted to know what it was about.

part 1 begins with the main character, the 16yr old Tomoya Okazaki, famous loafer at his school that always hangs out with his best friend, Youhei Sunohara (who is equally as as lazy). although they both go to school, they come late and simply sit (
ok_zps2d4c780b.png
) in the school classroom. their school life, to be frank, means less than nothing to them. back to the first scene in the first episode though, his voice narrates how much he hates the town he lives in, the school he goes to - basically he doesnt really like anything. on the way to school he meets Nagisa Furukawa (HOO-ROO-KA-WAH). they dont exactly become best friends, but later in school, he finds her eating alone and asks why this is so.

she replies she's been to this school last year, but was held back because she wasnt available to graduate. life went on, and so did everyone she knew (friends, classmates, maybe even crushes etc). after some more talking, tomoya also learns that she wants to start this theater club for her play, but is shyer than a mouse to ask anyone to join. tomoya votes to help her out, but soon trouble comes their way.
the school won't allow a club without a specific amout of people inside, and that's only when they consider allowing the club go on. so, with the help of tomoya, nagisa sets out to do the first step, confident her dream will be a reality.

its not usual i get interested by an anime in just one episode, and this wasnt an exception. but i did quickly become attached because of the characters. this was a double bonus for them to be placed in the school environment, because i was looking for a good school anime at the time.

(I WON'T BE NAMING EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER IN THE SHOW. JUST THE ONES THAT APPEAR MOST.)

pic_zpsdc7db0de.png
Tomoya Ozakazi - his character was likable off the start. he was a person that could speak frankly (something not everyone is blessed with), and his ability to be cool to hot headed to just being funny without knowing it happened a lot, but it wasnt exhausting to see. also, he had a drunkard father, something i could slightly relate with.

pic_zpsf7db8eef.png
Nagisa Furukawa - i looked at her - in the early episodes - as a bit strange ("ANPAN!"), but i found her ok. she's not one of my favorite characters but at least she wasnt draining to see on screen. i really liked her family (Akki and his wife) a lot more.

pic_zpsffd0bfca.png
Tomoyo Sakagami - a transferred girl from another county, she was a dutiful person that valued education. after meeting tomoya, she decide to make him the same (at least somewhat), so before she goes to school, she stops by his house to wake him up. tomoya doesnt want to be miserable alone, so he quickly suggests that if tomoyo wants to wake him up from being lazy, he should to the same for his best friend. the result is some pretty funny stuff.

pic_zpsa3ac1e74.png
The Fujibayashi twins - Kyou (long haired) is often intimidating tomoya and his buddy while the other (Ryou) is kind and silently crushes on tomoya. (both of them like him, but Kyou doesn't let her sister know this, and frequently find moments for Ryou to advance to tomoya.) Kyou can get a bit annoying when her violence gets in the way more than i would like, but i like both of the twins just as much a nagisa.

pic_zpsa06ed400.png
Kotomi Ichinose- she's my second favorite out of all the girls. she has a difficulty to come into the real world because she is always inside the library, reading books in all hours. while reading, it takes only a calling of her first name (along with chan) to snap into the real world - if not for this, she'll be as approachable as a stone is for a pet (oh wait - well, nevermind).
she appears slow and (very) socially awkward, but she is a genius. a FREAKING genius. her quiet, polite, soft demeanor along with her childhood innocence of real people and the real world was in the very least, entertaining to see. (spoiler, although it's tomoya that helps her into the real world, he doesn't realize that he is childhood friends with her! kotomi keeps this a secret until.....not saying :P)

pic_zpse92e8cf7.png
Mei Sunohara - the youngest member of the sunohara family. we don't see her a lot, though. this is because her older (and only) sibling had to move away from his home to live in an apartment closer to school. so, from time to time, she visits him to see if he's not doing anything stupid or harmful (obviously, she's more of the sibling that acts as the older one). there isnt much to say about her, since i did say she doesnt often appear, but at least she is a nice character.

pic_zpsab03a97e.png
Fuko (HOO-KOE) Ibuki - my favorite girl character, i always brightened whenever i saw her onscreen. she was an absolute adorable person to see, who frequently got on the nerves of tomoya. her weakness to have cuteness attacks (a state of when she sees or thinks of something cute, she squees and goes into this oblivious bliss shown here

fuko_zpsxo4fvj7c.gif
) and her love of starfish (????) would often make tomoya take advantage of her. usually she would end up doing (or looking) something stupid. when he wasnt doing that, he would take advantage of her small ability to cope with the real world just as kotomi does, but much harder. even though she has the mind and body of a child, she is the same age as tomoya, which makes this even siller, thus resulting in her and himself doing strange things (such a tongue twisters), making me laugh (very hard) outloud. needless to note, their chemistry is perfect.
but soon in the show, it appears that she is a spirit (or ghost) of her real self - the real fuko was hit by a car on the way to school and is in a coma for a very long time (maybe that explains her collasal immaturity).

there's one last character that i left out. thats because i want to talk about the start of the show, my favorite character, Youhei Sunohara.
sunohara2_zps9160e924.gif

this unluckly, softheaded (you could just use the word stupid if you wanted), comical character never really got things right and usually is treated that way, too. sunohara and his over-the-top ways to move just wouldnt fit in any other kind of animation. the stupider he acts, the siller and more exaggerated his movements get. Daisuke (V.A.) is the perfect fit to him; he makes this really goofy voice with his character and is just 100% fitting to his personality.
sunohara's chemistry worked with anyone. whether it was kyou, tomoyo, nagisa, kotomi, and (of course) his best friend, all of these would bring out another cover of funny that resided in him. it shouldn't be a surprise that a big wad of the show's funniest moments involve either fuko+tomoya, or youhei.

but even for his abundant provision of humor,he also holds a side of truly great character that is seen by the audience but apparently invisible and/or non-existent to the people inside the show (that is, besides nagisa's mother). what i mean is that, the thing about characters like sunohara, is that while they hold the golden medal of the show's funniest moments, they can also be the spotlight in a serious moment.

there was this climax in the show of when nagisa was about to give up on her dream of theater, but sunohara didnt take it and exploded.

pic_zps375156aa.png

pic_zps9556aa17.png

nagisa told him not to worry, but after that he stormed off.

now, youhei frequently yells. "frequently" may not even be word to describe it. but this time it was different. would it have been a serious moment if tomoya did this? well, yes, but this scene not only brings more drama, but a specific spotlight on sunohara, since he is - almost - always the clown (but not in an offensive way, goodness no) of the show.

so, soon after that, nagisa gains up some strength to keep striving for her play.

speaking of her, she will be the very character that will wrap up this review.

during her childhood, she became terribly sick for apparently no reason (this is a lifelong suffering) in the winter time. her parents, who had to do their jobs (they really had to), left her in as much comfort as possible before leaving.

pic_zps4fc3021e.png

coming back, they find their daughter lying faceground in the snow - she had been waiting for them to come back to say hello.

naturally, she had gotten even worse than her already horrible condition, and was nearly full enveloped in death's cold grasp.

since she in highschool she survived, of course, miraculously. her parents quit their jobs (akio did acting, his wife, teaching) and started baking (the bakery is in front, the house in back).

sanae had recorded this in her journal (plus pictures of their past jobs by their friends) and it was placed in a big box and shoved in a small storage house in the backyard, only to bring it out for who knows what or why.
nagisa had found out a few days before the play would go on stage (indeed, her tries suceeded) and fell into self-blame and depression.

this thoroughly annoyed me, maybe even got me mad. nagisa had 0 reasons to think this, unless she was responsible she was born. there was really nothing to blame herself for. this wasnt a sweet or cute thing that she cared about her parents that well, and if the writers wanted it, it failed. i checked with other people, and they also had this problem. i didnt want to feel like hugging her and telling her it was ok. what i really wanted was to pimp slap her.

anyway, her parents find out that she finds out and while nagisa is breaking down in tears of a live performance her father rushes in and explains (or yells) that true parents do have dreams - its to see their child(ren) accomplish theirs. her mother roots for her in the audience, and tomoya also puts in his part. it wasn't only her efforts into the play, it was their's also. sunohara had been in a soccer team dream he enjoyed at school, until he got into a huge fight and was kicked out. losing his dream, he became a person slump at school.

pic_zps37bb9767.png

tomoya already previously explained that is the very reason why youhei had gotten so mad at that time when nagisa was going to give up on hers. he also says that he never really had his own dreams of his own and this was the only real one he's ever had. both of them had seen too many failures in their life to their liking. it'll be downright selfish for her to drop something her friends had fought so hard and long for. nagisa had to go on. she represented all of them - not just herself. all of them wanted this very moment. she could do it.

meh, not a pimp slap, but ok.

so nagisa gets her act together and does the play with a real heart this time.
later, after the play, tomoya asks to date her, and she accepts.

and that wraps up part 1.

officially, anyway.

there's one last episode left, one of my favorite OVAs.

-----------

it opens with tomoya and tomoyo as a couple. they both like the relationship they are in, tomoya goes through some struggles. after being approached by a guy in school, he realizes that a lazy slump as himself hanging out with someone so intelligent and diligent at school would only drag her down. he tries to push it away, but soon comes to the decision - they must break up.

pic_zps605404c6.png

tomoyo acquiesces, but only that - she doesnt agree with his views at all. tomoya insists on her to live a full life on how a person like her should, instead of being hooked up to a delinquent.

life continues, and he graduates. on his way home from school, though, he sees tomoyo.

pic_zpscfccb955.png

in the end she reveals she wants to be with him, even after some serious thought, no matter what. love over education, i guess (a wrong choice if you ask me).

pic_zpsf7e7049e.png

tomoya still loves her after all. he broke up just for her - he simply didnt want to step on her toes. but in the end he gives in. tomoyo is left speechless and only sobs. tomoya runs over and hugs her, telling her to stop crying, while doing it himself.

pic_zps8d6bb60d.png

i am a person who hates - absolutely abhors - couples, but this wasnt so bad, honestly. in fact, its much better than the tomoya+nagisa mash up. no offense against those two, but i just wasnt feeling it.

end rating of part 1 - a healthy 8/10. the animation is great, the quality is even better, and its such a treat.

(*sneak peek of part 2 review*)

.....was it sad when fuko left? well, yes but not as they said it would be. so where were these feels?

...they told me just to wait until part 2.

Last edited:

Splintered

unsavory tart
Man I'm really loving the new Psycho Pass season, mostly because my favorite character is Akane. I wasn't sure at first because I heard the writer changed, but three episodes in and I'm hooked.

The other show that I really love is Muishishi, the show is always consistently beautiful but these last two episodes kind of knocked the wind out of me in a good way. I really, really love this show. I'm just sad it doesn't really have an audience.

The other two shows I have my eye on are Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, which is the teen drama, find yourself that has no business being as beautiful as it is (I friggin swear one episode blows more budget than some's entire season), and Shingeki no Bahamut - Genesis which is just good fun. I'm a manga reader of Akatsuki no Yona so I keep up with it, being one of the only bastions of decent shoujo amongst the sea of drivel, and it's okay, but someone needs to do something about the person in charge of the sound. Yeah I know the music is really good but they keep blaring it over all the scenes untouched.

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
so excited for the second season ;) its out of freaking no-where because its been 2yrs!

here's hoping it retains its great humor. ;P

someone plas halp and translate i'm so sad right now :'(

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
Man I'm really loving the new Psycho Pass season, mostly because my favorite character is Akane. I wasn't sure at first because I heard the writer changed, but three episodes in and I'm hooked.

The other show that I really love is Muishishi, the show is always consistently beautiful but these last two episodes kind of knocked the wind out of me in a good way. I really, really love this show. I'm just sad it doesn't really have an audience.

The other two shows I have my eye on are Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, which is the teen drama, find yourself that has no business being as beautiful as it is (I friggin swear one episode blows more budget than some's entire season), and Shingeki no Bahamut - Genesis which is just good fun. I'm a manga reader of Akatsuki no Yona so I keep up with it, being one of the only bastions of decent shoujo amongst the sea of drivel, and it's okay, but someone needs to do something about the person in charge of the sound. Yeah I know the music is really good but they keep blaring it over all the scenes untouched.

I just finished the first episode. Its interesting.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/473463284/cannon-busters-the-animated-series-pilot

5c17601d7f0e52e631efef41779d8052_large.jpg

From Crunchyroll:

TV animation Producer and Director, LeSean Thomas (Makestuff, LLC), whose work has been seen on The Boondocks, The Legend of Korra (Book 1), and more recently, Black Dynamite: The Animated Series, has launched a Kickstarter campaign to crowdfund the production of Cannon Busters: The Animated Series. The project brings together an impressive international team that includes Joe Madureira (Darksiders), Thomas Romain (Space Dandy), and Producer Tim Yoon (The Legend of Korra). The campaign also garners the support from animation studio, Satelight Inc. (Macross Frontier, Bodacious Space Pirates, AKB0048) in Japan, and retailer Animebooks.com.

Cannon Busters is an animated adventure story about the value of friendship and just how far one is willing to go to maintain it. “Think The Wizard of Oz meets Hidden Fortress with a dash of Escaflowne + Hip Hop and classic RPGS -- all rolled into one ride of fun, suspense, action & wackiness,” says Creator and Director of the Cannon Busters animated project, LeSean Thomas.

The story is a passion project that has been in development since 2005. It was Thomas’ first and last comic book, only producing one issue.

Thomas and his team are looking to raise the minimum of $120k for an 8-10 minute short, in hopes to stretch goals to a full 24-minute episode.

Looks like it has all the spirit and flair of a Kill la Kill with none of the bullshit! :monster:

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
what is this series called?

'kamisama hajimemashita'

(my net went out for a week JUST when you asked that. sorry dont take it as my ignoring you. so kudos to Strange for popping in.)

its shupa awesome though. never thought i'd like a rom-com of any kind, not even animu.

also another K season coming out :excited:

kcgez_zps867db249.jpg

i havent see the first one but i really wanna check it out.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-11-11/2015-k-anime-sequel-confirmed-as-new-season/.80921

Top Bottom