Guardians of the Galaxy

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Same lol Only I dont think anyone else in my theatre got it, I was the only one laughing, and I laughed loud, something I don't do a whole lot.

Apparently that was supposed to be Nathan Fillian's cameo, but he passed it up in hopes he'd get an actual physical role in the marvel universe. Seth Green did his voice

Nathan Fillion does still has a cameo as the voice of the big alien inmate that Groot defeats.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Same lol Only I dont think anyone else in my theatre got it, I was the only one laughing, and I laughed loud, something I don't do a whole lot.

Apparently that was supposed to be Nathan Fillian's cameo, but he passed it up in hopes he'd get an actual physical role in the marvel universe. Seth Green did his voice

Mine was the perfect scenario. All the general audience left, and you could tell it was just little pockets of comic geeks left, because everybody remaining started shouting/laughing/omg-ing about it. I just didn't have the advantage of knowing what the Swedish subtitles said during the dialog. xD

Also, last day in Sweden & traveling tomorrow, so there's a POTENTIAL of writing a big tl;dr review on my transatlantic flight and posting whenever I get internet access, because I have so many things to say about this movie.

X :neo:

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
I haven't watched it yet but I might tomorrow or next week. I wasn't really interested but then my brother told us for him it's one of the top 3 Marvel films.

I still think Winter Soldier is probably my top film, but Guardians is in the top group of Iron Man, Avengers, and both Captains. I can't really rank them in any order.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I remember lurking on forums such as NeoGAF and people talking about how this is going to be a flop and all that.
Many crows are now being eaten. :P

"A talking raccoon and a giant tree in space? That seems stupid, the general public won't accept that."

It's like some people come from a place where Star Wars never happened.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
It's like some people come from a place where Star Wars never happened.
It's funny you make that comparison, because I was thinking how much this reminded me of Star Wars as I was watching this.

Anyway. So good. I'd probably rank this tied with The Winter Soldier as my favourite MCU film, which I was not expecting at all when I went to see it.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
So I knew I was going to love this movie but it ended up absolutely my fucking mind. It was this wonderful mix of Farscape and Firefly which made me so happy because Farscape in particular is one of my favorite series of all time.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
bzulraj.jpg

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
It's amazing how when this movie first was announced I was like "Eh...does anyone even remember Guardians of the Galaxy?"

Went to see it yesterday and it blew my fucking mind. Easily in the running for the best Marvel movie.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Saw it today. Loved it. A great mix of comedy and drama.

And Groot
"WE are Groot."

640px-Time_for_a_feel_trip.jpg

And I heard an interesting theory about Groot. I should probably google the comics and see if there is any credence to it.
That there are lots of tiny Groots now and saying, "We are Groot" was him being literal.
I've never read the comics so I have no idea. :monster:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Speaking of Star Wars, it would be a criminally missed opportunity if you don't meet Star-Lord's dick dad J-Son in the second film and have an, "I am your father." "No! That's not true! That's impossible!!!" quote reference. Seriously. It would be the best thing ever for a movie all about meta pop culture references.

Also, I don't believe that there's any comic precedent for that theory, Tenny. I think it was meant metaphorically and not literally.

X :neo:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Saw it, loved it. As a fan of the original Guardians of the Galaxy (Vance Astro, Martinex, a non-dickhead Yondu, Charlie 27, Nikki and Starhawk/Aleta; and, of course, later recruits Talon, Replica and Rita DeMara), I've always preferred them to the modern team, but adapting the modern team for the big screen was so obviously the right way to go.

Marvel did this thing smart by playing up the absurdity of the whole thing. It's a fucking raccoon with a machine gun. A walking, talking tree. And, of course, changing Star-Lord's personality from an overly serious douchebag killjoy with all the charm of one of Rocket's farts to a loveable douchebag of a grifter. There's no way they could have played this thing straight, and they knew that.

Had they gone for serious, it would have tanked with general audiences who would have said "'Star Wars' did it better," and even comic book fans would have probably only tolerated it at best.

As it is, this was brilliant and it deserves all the love it will get.

All the liberties taken with the source material immediately jump out at you (if you know the comics anyway), but I don't really care. These aren't iconic characters like Iron Man and Captain America, cornerstones of the tapestry who need their origins from the comics. Does it matter that
Drax is a random, muscular alien seeking vengeance against Ronan (and later Thanos) for his newly invented wife and daughter -- instead of a less random, muscular alien made from the soil of a distant planet for the specific purpose of killing Thanos, and whose soul came from an Earth man who had been killed by Thanos along with his wife while their daughter lived and went on to become a superhero (sort of)?

Not really.

Doesn't really matter that Nebula is presented here as Thanos's daughter rather than his (purported) granddaughter either. Even changing Gamora's backstory slightly from Thanos rescuing her a moment before she was to be killed along with her family to Thanos being the one who actually killed them doesn't affect a whole lot, and probably better serves the plot being followed here.

I will say that having Thanos father multiple known progeny is a disservice to the character's roots, though, as -- when he still had his nihilist personality (which appears to be the case for Thanos in the films) -- he took great personal offense to Nebula's claim of being descended from him, as his worship of Death had him claim that he would never sire children.

Obviously this was eventually ignored when the concept of Thane, a son of Thanos, was introduced last year, so it's not surprising to see the movie going a different route with that idea too -- but with Thanos being my favorite Marvel character, and especially as a fan of Jim Starlin's Thanos (i.e. Thanos done right), it does annoy.

But, shit, it's forgivable. I don't and never expected to get Jim Starlin's Thanos in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They aren't going to be able to have him obtain the Infinity Gauntlet, butcher half the universe, then go on a self-reflective journey in which he saves the universe multiple times from other tyrants and becomes a superhero. They just won't be able to do that.

He'll do the first two things on that list above, and that will be it. He's going to have to be terrible and utterly evil form start to finish for this thing, and that's fine.

If I can put up with that, I can certainly accept an altered detail like Thanos knocking up random space women.

Speaking of Thanos, I have to say I'm very pleased with his portrayal and Josh Brolin's performance. The voice isn't quite what I've had in my head all these years, but it's good, and he's every bit as menacing and shit-inducing as he should be.

Ronan, too (portrayed by Lee Pace) was excellent, and Karen Gillan brought an engaging intensity to Nebula.

That's the villains, but what about the heroes?

Chris Pratt does a great job playing Andy Dwyer in space, Zoe Saldana does a serviceable job as Gamora (there was only so much range really required for this role, though), Rocket is funny as shit, Groot is adorable and Drax is ... well, he gives us a fifth member. He does have some genuinely funny moments, though.

As an adaptation, I suppose the Nova Corps get shafted the worst of anybody in this whole thing, being they're pretty much nothing like what they were in the comics, where they're the Marvel equivalent of the Green Lantern Corps. I wasn't expecting Richard Rider (the real Nova Prime) to show up anyway, though.

Marvel never seemed particularly comfortable with his role as a cosmic character even after he took off in that big role during "Annihilation." They never seemed to know what they wanted to do with him, which is probably why he's been dead since 2010 even while Star-Lord and Thanos returned to comics, despite supposedly dying along with Rider.

Moving on, I'm very glad to see the Infinity Stones Gems lore getting some direct attention, as we know what's coming there. Thanos will end up getting all six and creating the Infinity Gauntlet.

So far, we've seen four of them presented on screen (Space Gem = Tessaract, Reality Gem = Aether, Mind Gem = Loki's staff, Power Gem = Orb of Morag), and I'm quite excited to see what we get for the last two. There's still plenty of time for Marvel to build up to that, so I imagine it will be a while before we see them -- a time of excitement yet to come.

Also, how exciting was it to see a Celestial blowing a planet up? Granted, they went with Eson the Searcher instead of Exitar the Exterminator (the Celestial whom you would expect to see blowing up planets), but he does have a more iconic (of the Celestials anyway) appearance, and it was a treat for fans of the cosmic corner of the Marvel Universe to see any glimpse at these great cosmic entities of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

All in all, I think I still loved "The Avengers" more than "Guardians of the Galaxy," but only just barely. Hard to say. I'm going to have to watch this new movie again to really make up my mind, being that I've seen the other three times.

"Guardians" may actually win out on the overall fun factor, but, again, I will need an additional viewing to make a final call.

In closing: Howard the Duck. What the fuck?

Last edited:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I definitely agree with the Farscape and Firefly comparisons as well.

Really can't say enough good things about this film. I kind of want to watch it again in theatres, which I rarely get the urge to do. I'll probably wait for Netflix though.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Also, I really like this comment from the io9 article X posted:
It's been said a lot but still must be repeated:

Warner Bros has said for years that Wonder Woman is too complex and difficult a property for movie-goers to get into.

Disney/Marvel just made nearly $100 million off a movie where a talking raccoon fires a machine gun while standing on the shoulders of a giant walking plant. In space.

Top Bottom