SPOILERS Half a year later. What are your thoughts?

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Been thinking about Remake a bit lately. Thought I’d share my thoughts and see where everyone else is at. Consider this part 3 of my impression on the game, now half a year after release (here's part 1 and part 2).

Pretty much the only thing I wanted out of a FF7 re-release, whether it be a port or remake, was for it to be retranslated. To this day I'm disappointed the endearing, yet faulty script of the original PlayStation release has been carried through the generations. It's not that I hate everything about it. I actually think the original translation is worthy of academic analysis in how it's riddled with errors yet manages to resonant with millions of players. This is a topic I'd like to think more on later, but for now the key takeaway is that beside the translation, I love the OG as is. Everything from its snappy battle animations, vibrant color palette, and obtuse minigames. Can't get enough of it.

So how does a remake appeal to me? The answer is simple: I love any reason to think about FF7 more. And there was a lot to think about when the remake was announced at E3 2015. At the time we didn't know the project would be split into parts nor that it'd be an action RPG. The sky was the limit! However, when both aspects were revealed a few months later, I abandoned all expectations. The OG has a specific, brilliant pacing. I'd argue it's the best paced JRPG ever (again, topic for another time). Splitting the story into parts was inconceivable to me. From that moment the remake existed as its own beast in my mind. I knew it would never replace the OG, but I obviously still wanted it to be good.

Then the radio silence. Three and a half years and all we got were two screenshots, a concept gallery, and a key art. Amazing.

I can recite the May 2019 State of Play teaser by heart. Voice lines, music cues, all of it. But the more I saw from later trailers, the more I became pessimistic. FF7R was looking like a modern video game. And of course, visually, that's great! But I don't think all modern video game design decisions are winners. When I first saw the side quest menu I immediately complained to my brother in a lengthy text.

"FF7R is a big, dumb, beautiful AAA video game." That's the first thing I wrote about FF7R after my first session with it. And I still feel that way even approaching 200 hours. My biggest issue with AAA video games is inconsistent quality. FF7R is plagued with this. For example, the voice cast can nail some powerful emotions, yet they're also forced to do anime grunts. Why are anime grunts a thing? Before I die, I hope to make a "Remove Anime Grunts" mod for FF7R on PC. Also, why are the side quests so bad? The setting is Midgar. How can there be boring side quests when Midgar is the backdrop? Oh, and while the main characters look great, the NPCs look like they just walked out of The Sims. Can't complain about the cutscene quality either, but talk to an NPC and suddenly the camera can’t keep up with their over expressive animations. There's even a skill tree, the AAA video game equivalent of air, that’s so boring they included a way to automate it.

There’s a lot I don’t find ideal in a game with FF7 in the title and my first playthrough was dragged down because of it. But at the same time, I was excited. The Whispers were turning out to be everything I wanted them to be. I poured myself into inspecting their every action. After Chapter 2 I theorized that they were not aligned with Sephiroth. After Chapter 4 I theorized that they interfered to re-align the plot. I was in disbelief when the party started seeing visions of future events in Chapter 18. With the Whispers, wow, the sky was the limit again. I've read in many different ways how the Whispers are "meta-commentary drivel". That wasn't my experience with them. The Whispers opened discussions. When my brother and buddy beat FF7R, I received "can't wait to talk about this with you" texts. And the best part? We're all on even ground now. I'm no longer the "guy that can answer anything about FF7". When my buddy asks me a plot question, I don't have to be like "ohhoho just you wait and see haha". Their guess is as good mine as to the future of FF7. I love this.

There's a lot of arguments against the Whispers and I guess I want to feature a few rebuttals here. I know we're all pretty solid on our impressions of them, but I just gotta write these down somewhere.

People say the fate and time elements are out of place. The OG features mythological creatures, dieselpunk automobiles and airships, an alien, spellcasting, and surf boards. SURF BOARDS. The Compilation added VR. To me, FF7 has always been a hodgepodge of genres, fate and time elements don’t seem out of place when I list them with everything else. People say the Whispers and the ending are tonally dissonant. In the OG, Cloud goes snowboarding within an hour of playtime after Aerith's death, the most monumental death in video game history. The party has a mini vacation at Costa del Sol immediately after the cargo ship crew is brutally murdered. To me, FF7 has always been a weird adventure with almost comical tone shifts. People say the Whispers are a nonsensical plot device. In the OG, Cloud, a SOLDIER 1st Class, needs help from Shera to move a chunk of metal that's trapped Cid. Rufus personally visits Rocket Town to take the Tiny Bronco so that his manufacturing company can cross the ocean. An amusement park has its own prison, and after being accused of murdering the park staff, the party is told they can have freedom by *checks notes* ...winning a chocobo race.

I hope I don't sound super defensive. I don't want to be seen as "that Whisper fan" around here. Like, I get the jokes around them. My brother was mid-conversation on his FF4 remake playthrough and I was like "that's great but when do the plot ghosts come in?" It's fun, though I'm also genuine when I say that I enjoy their addition and don't find them obtrusive in FF7 at all.

Circling this back around, without the Whispers, FF7R would've been a steaming hot pile of AAA madness to me. With the Whispers, FF7R says something interesting. Without the Whispers, FF7R would've been an attempt to replace the OG, but with issues that would've made it an inferior experience to me. With the Whispers, FF7R has its own identity. The inconsistent quality is still there of course, but I'm much more tolerable of it in a new game versus a game trying to fill the OG's shoes.

It's strange, but it feels accurate to write that I'm proud of FF7R. I enjoy its bold message and the resulting discussions. Reading reactions and thinking about the OG has made one thing clear to me: Final Fantasy VII is a game that lives larger in people's minds than how it was ever rendered on-screen. I'm not sure what to call this quality, but it's part of what drove Remake to existence. I can't think of a more requested remake in media.

I walk an hour a day as part of my daily commute to and from work. Lots of thinking time. It could be considered boring, but I make do. Pondering FF7R, its message, its details, its future, never fails to capture my imagination. It's a game I play even when I'm not actually playing it. A hallmark of all my favorite games.

Last edited:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Largely the same,

Game is solid but it didn't cause a lasting impact on the industry like the original did (I would even say it didn't even try). The last two chapters are a joke story-wise, It still feels like a bad twist from a trashy B or C TV series.

The passage of time only confirms how my heart is irreversibly broken. Most of the time it's just a feeling of apathy, though sometimes it's bitterness.

Square made me believe that they had changed. Like an old flame coming back after many years, you have the best of times together for a while only to realize that the person indeed has not changed and so you break up again.

Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever even bother buying part 2 when it comes out. I might watch the cutscenes on YouTube and that'll be that.

All because of that stupid ending.

Rankles

Pro Adventurer
Not a fan of the side quests, and I hate Chadley, but other than that I really enjoyed the Remake’s take on things. It could obviously never live up to the original, which for me will never be surpassed, but it definitely lived up to my expectations and I’m excited to see which direction they go in now that Cloud and co have changed fate.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I went from hating Chadley to loving him, I lost my affection for Jessie due to a certain someone, and Wedge is the best character now.
I got around to beating hard mode a month ago, which gave me a real appreciation for how tight this game's combat mechanics are, I now really think it's one of the most intuitive RPG systems I've ever played. The materia system may have been scaled down, but there's still a lot of milage you can get out of it by being creative.

I still think the story is fine, I've probably come to like it more than I did before, and I'll freely admit that I think a lot of you have been incredibly, ridiculously melodramatic about the whole thing, but that's just my opinion. It's become more and more solidified for me that this game was never really trying to do what the original did and that's just fine, I much prefer a new experience.

All in all, I like it a lot still and I'm looking forward to the next one. I wanna see Yuffie and Vincent and maybe Cid if it goes that far, and I eagerly await the next wacky plot developments.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
I went from hating Chadley to loving him, I lost my affection for Jessie due to a certain someone, and Wedge is the best character now.
I got around to beating hard mode a month ago, which gave me a real appreciation for how tight this game's combat mechanics are, I now really think it's one of the most intuitive RPG systems I've ever played. The materia system may have been scaled down, but there's still a lot of milage you can get out of it by being creative.

I still think the story is fine, I've probably come to like it more than I did before, and I'll freely admit that I think a lot of you have been incredibly, ridiculously melodramatic about the whole thing, but that's just my opinion. It's become more and more solidified for me that this game was never really trying to do what the original did and that's just fine, I much prefer a new experience.

All in all, I like it a lot still and I'm looking forward to the next one. I wanna see Yuffie and Vincent and maybe Cid if it goes that far, and I eagerly await the next wacky plot developments.
I also like new experiences... when they're good.

Saven

Pro Adventurer
I have felt pretty much the same about it since which is great because I think this game was special. I'm still blown away by what a great job Square-Enix did. I thought deep down this game was going to suck on the inside, but SE blew my expectations away. It helped that I threw any previous expectations about OG FFVII out the window once I saw Kitase name in the credits when the flower hits Aerith's palms. They knew going in what they needed to do with this game for it to be considered successful, he signed off on it, so I went in thinking of it as a brand new game as it panned out to see the rest of Midgar. I could say it was disappointing in that I don't think it was the best game this generation (whereas I believe that with OG FFVII with the PS1/N64/Saturn era), but it's still my second favorite game this generation (BOTW was truly a special game) and it's still not over. If this is what we can expect quality-wise going forward, Square-Enix still has a very good chance to add "Quite possibly the greatest Trilogy/Quadrilogy ever made" to the back of their eventual FFVIIRT re-release once it's all said and done.

kathy202

Pro Adventurer
I still like it as much as before, and I would still say that if I had to invest 30-40 hours of my life replaying the remake vs the OG, I would pick the remake.

I think all the criticisms about the game are valid, but they nailed many parts that I care a lot about, namely combat, cutscene quality, voice acting, localization, soundtrack, characters. That's good enough for me. It's a huge project and some aspects of it just won't receive enough attention to be as good as we want it to be.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I unironically thought the ending was good and that some people are a bit too uptight about it, hell, I like the ending even more now than I did when I played it even after reading essay after essay about how it’s the worst ending in the world and it’s disrespectful to the OG and so on and so forth. I think expecting this game to have the same impact as the OG is unrealistic, as are most people’s expectations when a remake or a sequel is compared to the original. We tend to downplay how much the context of time and culture shapes how something is received. I doubt the creators even realized how big the OG was going to be, so I wouldn’t expect them to be able to recreate or top that. I’m more than happy with what they delivered and I need to see where this goes before I can definitively compare it to the OG.

Not having long-term attachment to this series as a new fan probably helps in that regard, but I also think people overlook how insanely ridiculous the OG was. Whispers to me seemed pretty much up there with fighting a giant shirtless Sephiroth with wing-shaped tentacles (oh, Japan...) who destroys the solar system by throwing the sun at you. I’d give the remake an 8/10 if the OG’s a 9/10, though I have never personally given a game a 10/10 even though I’ve come to consider the OG my favorite game of all time, so most good games get an 8/10 for me.

I lost my affection for Jessie due to a certain someone
? “If someone said three years from now...
Jessie’s long gone...
I’d rant on my Twitter account
‘cause they’re all wrong...
I know...better...
Plot ghosts said whatever
Forever...who knew?” ?

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I feel like I'm the only one who found the bad textures endearing. :wacky:
IIRC that wasn't an issue with the game but rather the fact that it pushed the hardware to its limits. But perhaps there is a way to work with the hardware more efficiently?

Anyway, I haven't touched the game since I beat it in like April, but when I was listening to music one of the songs came on, and I immediately felt nostalgic. I knew when I started playing the game that it would be a very nostalgic experience, in its own right even if I didn't have nostalgia for thhe original. Everything was so uncertain, I was in lockdown, and my grandma literally died earlier that day. My roommate just moved out and I would sit in that empty room in my own little world playing the game for 8-12 hours a day like a little kid. It was a pivotal time in my life just like when I first played the OG, and helped me cope. I also deeply enjoyed the social aspect of sharing the experience with everyone on here. I don't really game anymore and I don't get gripped like that too often. As I think back, I think of the wonderful mechanics and all of the life that was breathed into Midgar. I definitely want to play it again.

I try not to think too much about the ending. :monster:

Last edited:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
It's undeniably a great game, which I will likely not replay for quite a while. I don't care about getting all the dresses or hard mode or whatever.

They did a fantastic job with bringing the slums and characters to life, but there are deep problems with the portrayal of Shinra Inc (and no, I don't think they're just my preferences). I have no problems with the Whispers as yet, I'm waiting to see where they go with it. I found them very funny, so that's enough for now.

Edit: Ryvius, is that a new sig or am I just unobservant?

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
It's undeniably a great game, which I will likely not replay for quite a while. I don't care about getting all the dresses or hard mode or whatever.

They did a fantastic job with bringing the slums and characters to life, but there are deep problems with the portrayal of Shinra Inc (and no, I don't think they're just my preferences). I have no problems with the Whispers as yet, I'm waiting to see where they go with it. I found them very funny, so that's enough for now.

Edit: Ryvius, is that a new sig or am I just unobservant?

It's a new sig :monster:

Well, the Remake made me a lot more interested in Cloud as a character, so there's that.
I'm on my fourth playthrough and still enjoying it.
There are aspects I prefer from the OG and aspects I like more in the Remake. Not gonna lie, I miss the scene in the Honeybee Inn with the company president from out of town, and I still mourn my Sector 7 train man.
You know Shinra middle manager's wife and child live in the S7 slums, right? But he's away from home when the plate falls, he's in Wall Market. Kinda hope they expand his role in Part 2.
I'm sad that the Remake took my favourite part of the slums and made it my least favourite part (the train graveyard).

Gazzdw

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Gaz
This is an opportunity for me to get a lot what I've been sitting on about this game. Over time I think on reflection I feel more unhappy with it than .say a few days after completion. When I finished it I thought it was a 8.5-9/10 for me. Now I would say maybe 8/10. Its easier for me to list my frustrations.

- They blew their load way too early on so many things; (playing the world theme in the slums, summons in Midgar and through shitty VR, introducing Chocobos early as a fast travel mechanic, a Sephiroth fight, making it too obvious that Cloud isnt a reliable narrator potentially ruining possibly the best twist in storytelling history).
- WAY too much materia, much of it fairly unexciting to use. Just the first few perfect of the story, how is the foundation materia going to progress when we are already hitting Firaga in Midgar?
- Unless it was an illusion caused by Jenova, how are they going to handle fighting basically a god in Midgar, to then have trouble fighting a
wolf or a sweeper just outside Midgar?
- The lack of exploration/level design - I just outright hate and disagree with Toriyamas vision of level designs and that damn red circle that stops you from going off the path. The times you could, you never got anything decent or were rewarded for it.
- Some of the FF13 style music, particularly the ruined expressway.
- Ruining the plate fall sequence/aftermath with everyone surviving and the Jenova prison blood trail.....I had been waiting 20 years to see these realised and now we will never see it done justice.
- The Whispers ruined EVERY scene they were in. The amount of times I was like "Oh amazing this is the scene from the OG where, oh, what the" *whispers interfere and ruin scene* and again therefore, lose the opportunity to see my favourite scenes realised. The time I felt the most angry was when they just pushed characters off screen and the screen just faded to black ARRRGGGHH.
- The ending.
- Most of the sidequests. I actually really enjoyed the Ch 14 and wall market side quests as they felt they tied in.
- That President Shinra and Barret scene was so poorly conceived.

I am one of the people that wanted a retelling of the original story that expanded in places. To be honest that is what the majority of the fans wanted when we have been signing petitions all these years, we all yearned for a remake and I do feel like we were misled on the marketing of this up until the last trailer.

However, the highs were so so high that for the most part it overshadowed the lows. But I look ahead with a great deal of concern.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I don't think I'll ever understand how people managed to have such strong feelings about Chadley. He simply wasn't around enough, or affect enough for me to feel anything about him. He was like the benches - a recurrent feature. It feels to me like getting pissed off about a save point, or an item shop.

I still really like the game, but the more time passes the more I dislike chapter 18. Hearing the character mumble about destiny in freaking ff7 still feels surreal. Fuck that shit

This basically sums it up for me. The ending was fucking stupid. The rest of it was fantastic and I loved it

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I think people tend to dislike him for a few reasons:

1) He feels strange and out of place. The way he looks and talks are pretty odd, and his attitude I assume can be grating for some people.

2) Many of the summons and good materia are tied to doing missions for him rather than being obtained organically in the world, which annoys people.

3) The hardest coliseum matches in the game are tied to getting the resolution to his story.

Personally I just find him funny. The fact he's so odd and out of place, and even vaguely creepy (I observe all of your battles, Cloud. All of them.) makes him endearing to me. I dunno, by the time I was replaying the game I was like "oh shit it's the chad lad." His name is "Chadley," fucking "Chadley." How can you not love him?

Last edited:
Top Bottom