SPOILERS INTERmission Chapter 2 Spoiler Discussion

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I do think that whatever timeline Biggs is, it’s the same as Zack and it’s how things are going to get in motion there (I had thought about it but not voiced it). However it could also be an AU timeline - people already wondered this when they saw him.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Rufus very much isn't a mole by now. He's been with the Turks for four years and has handidly earned their loyalty by now. The branch of AVALANCHE Rufus funded is also very much defunct as of October. Rufus' goals and priorites are different as they were as of the start of BC to put it simply. AVALANCHE is a threat to them in fact, so no. I don't think he's helping them out anymore.

I am so distrustful now of any plate analysis (which why I'll now do plate analysis :wacky:). Since Sector 5 is adjacent to Sector 6, which already has a partially missing plate, then the partially open sky seen in the Zack cutscene *could* be just Sector 6.

Comparing with gameplay screenshots won't work because the skybox in live gameplay is effed, misplacing the upper plates relative to the player's position.

But really, anything is possible at this stage.

The desire to understand art and to unravel its story truly is a fundamental human trait. Even when we *know* the effort is futile we will scratch that itch to analyse.

I am now listening to "Nero Battle Theme Phase 1" on repeat. The soundscape here is very Metroid-like so naturally this is my favorite Nero battle-phase track. Absolutely love the creepy piano in Phase 2 and the choir in Phase 3 though.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Even as somebody who tried making a case for the single timeline theory, I’m not willing to put THAT much thought into trying to figure out what the hell is going on, I’m just along for the ride…my default answer for anything involving skyboxes and pre-render cutscenes is “it’s just a technical thing” until proven otherwise lol

This is so precious

E4F_EkJXIAUWA8_

MelodicEnigma

Pro Adventurer
Watching you all trying to make sense of this farrago of nonsense is like watching mediaeval scholastics trying to figure out how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. I really admire the depth of your information and the sinuousness of your reasoning, though.

That's so sincere that I kind of feel bad that my reaction to this is about the same when the game first dropped and everyone lost their minds:
MJ Popcorn.gif

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
I've come to realise something...

Like many of you, I came to FF through the OG. I loved it and still do. Over the years, we got the compilation, most of which I ignored and separated in my head from the original game. For Nomura, Nojima, and Kitase, though...that separation never took place. This remake project was never going to be VII all over again, because that time has passed -- now it's the VII Universe, like the MCU, and this universe informs everything, even the original game. So of course Zack is going to be involved, considering his immense popularity after Crisis Core...of course Reno is going to have more playfulness, as in Advent Children...of course Sephiroth is going to pop up a million times, because that's all he has done for years, even in a darn Mickey Mouse game.

It's tme to put on compilation goggles when looking at remake, and our theories will be all the better for it. With compilation goggles on, suddenly Zack seems far more important and close to essential to this story. Minimising him doesn't make sense.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I've come to realise something...

Like many of you, I came to FF through the OG. I loved it and still do. Over the years, we got the compilation, most of which I ignored and separated in my head from the original game. For Nomura, Nojima, and Kitase, though...that separation never took place. This remake project was never going to be VII all over again, because that time has passed -- now it's the VII Universe, like the MCU, and this universe informs everything, even the original game. So of course Zack is going to be involved, considering his immense popularity after Crisis Core...of course Reno is going to have more playfulness, as in Advent Children...of course Sephiroth is going to pop up a million times, because that's all he has done for years, even in a darn Mickey Mouse game.

It's tme to put on compilation goggles when looking at remake, and our theories will be all the better for it. With compilation goggles on, suddenly Zack seems far more important and close to essential to this story. Minimising him doesn't make sense.

I think this is what Nojima means when he says he wants to encapsulate the OG and the Compilation in Remake. This is why the Compilation is never going to be non-canon anymore. This is why when the devs have Cloud, Tifa and Barret looking over Midgar and discussing how they'll rebuilt 7th Heaven, it's a huge nod to CoT. And yes, this is why Zack's role is going to be big. I still say that if someone can save Aerith, it's him. We'll see how this goes. I still think he can't meet up with Cloud prior to at the very least the Northern Crater... There is a reason why Jenova made Cloud black out when Aerith mentioned his name. So, in the timeline, this is going to be difficult. But maybe they'll find something. I kind of think that Nojima wants a Zerith reunion while they're alive. Might be totally wrong, but the way the last scene in Intergrade is done is actually upping the hopes of a reunion between the two - they keep missing each other, so people will want them to reunite.

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
I agree, the biggest issue to solve here is how to get Zack interaction with the main crew without disrupting Cloud's story arc. Honestly, I have no idea how that can be done, unless...

Zack, Aerith, and Tifa basically make an agreement between them to keep Zack's history a secret for the good of Cloud. There is a bit of a precedent, as Tifa evades Cloud's uncomfortable question at one point, and at another point Aerith brushes off Cloud freaking out in the Temple and acts as if nothing happened, because they are both clearly confused and concerned about whatever is going on with him. If confronting him could trigger an 'attack', I can absolutely see why they wouldn't say or do anything.

That's the only solution I can think of...anything outside of that means Zack has to be kept away from interacting with the team in any substantial way until Cloud is enlightened.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
What do you think the impetus for him even going to look for them would be. What happened to his Cloud? If Zack's name is enough to set Cloud off, what would seeing him in the flesh do? Would the second half of the game just not happen at all? If Zack is there to say "um... actually Sephiroth, Cloud WAS there." At the north crater, then everything that should happen after doesn't need to unless it's needlessly contrived. Wouldn't exactly be "following the original with a few surprises."

These things are why I think it's not going to be as simple as Zack joining them at some arbitrary point and everything is fine afterwards and things happen the same but Zack's there.

Top Bottom