Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge's Roles in the Remake Thread

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I don't even need full-on romance to happen, I just don't want cloud to act like an aloof dick to her the entire time. I'd like to see him grow to care more, so her loss actually meaningfully effects him, even if he doesn't come out and say it.

I think you won't have to worry about that! Square did a good job with
showing that Cloud cares for them despite his hard exterior. They take the initiative but he responds well enough. :)

Also, I'm trying to be intentionally vague with my comments (most of the time anyway) so as to not spoil things too much. I'm also trying to choose my words well so that things are not misunderstood! :)

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Maybe she meant the FF-style bomb. You know, the one you fight until it blows itself up in your face. :mon:

Jairus

Anyway, back to what Alex was saying, as long as the remake allows room for the possibility that something could have developed between Cloud and Jessie if events had turned out differently, I'll be happy. I just didn't want it totally shut down, is all. But your responses have given me hope, Alex, so thanks!

Jairus

I intend to. :) I trust what you said, and that combined with what Eerie and a couple others in the Clessie thread have told me makes me hopeful. Sorry for all the venting, but I needed to get it out and didn't want to mess up another thread. I don't want to cause any more trouble, which is why I did my venting here. I do feel better now, thanks!

Jairus

One other thing about the dinner, though:
I hope that Jessie makes it up to Cloud somehow since he can't be there, and I hope he was at least interested in going until she asked him not to. I just want them to have a quiet scene together, just the two of them. Something comparable to him and Aerith in the park. Something new, other than the scenes on the train.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
Oh they have very cute scenes. Just the two of them too. I was actually quite surprised how much Jessie x Cloud the game was showing tbh

Jairus

Thanks, oty! That makes me really happy. You just made the wait a lot more bearable. :)

Reactions: oty

Jairus

This is just wishful thinking probably, but it would be nice if we were able to get like a key item or something from the trio or even just Jessie that could carry over from game to game in the series, just something to remember them/her by after they're gone. Not that they know that's going to happen, it could be given for another reason but end up being a memento of their/her friendship due to what happens in the story. SE probably didn't do anything like this, though, I just thought it would be a nice little in-game way of letting us remember them aside from any references Cloud and the others might make. Something we can see in the menu, like a picture the trio gives you of them or something.

Jairus

Haha, that would be epic if she did, especially since that's what she does in my mod - that's her token of affection key item! I intend for it to be able to net you a ribbon and a mystile late in the game. So being nice to her will really pay off. :D

Jairus

Been thinking some about
what Wedge said, and it still bothers me. It's like SE's saying, "Here's all these nice moments and scenes between Cloud and Jessie, but oh, they don't actually mean anything, they're just totally empty and she's just faking you out the whole time so all of your interaction with her is utterly pointless." I don't get why SE would go and nullify all those moments and scenes they created like that by having Wedge say what he does about her. They should've just left that line of his out completely. It's like he's saying that she's lying to Cloud the whole time and tricking him and leading him on. It also makes us question if anything she says and does is ever real or if everything is just pretend for her and we never see her real feelings or self at all. It makes us constantly wonder "Is she pretending or is this what she really thinks or feels?" about basically anything and everything she says and does, not just with Cloud but with everyone, since if she's willing to pretend and be deceptive with him then what's stopping her from doing it with everyone else? And we shouldn't have to do that. We should be able to know for certain, and those moments and scenes between her and Cloud shoudn't have been undercut and nullified like that.

Last edited:

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I think it's inteded to create
the trademark Square element of vagueness. "Does she? Doesn't she?". That's how I took it, at least. And lying is a big word for this. You know what they say about actors and actresses being affected by the "characters" they play? Just because you're "acting" something, it doesn't mean it can't become part of you. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Maybe he was wrong all along. Maybe Biggs is in love with Jessie and Wedge is trying to keep Cloud at bay to help his friend. Ah, options!

Jairus

I just wish SE would come out with a straight answer for once, but it seems like they can't do that to save their lives. They said there was less room for interpretation in the remake, but somehow they still find a way to make things almost unbearably vague? I guess I just don't see what the big deal is about confirming her flirting had something behind it, that she is attracted to him. I mean, asking him flat out about him and Tifa in the demo seems like an extremely clear indicator of interest.

Last edited:

Jairus

I had an idea about Wedge's comment and Jessie's actions and what it could all possibly mean:
This is just a thought, of course, since I haven't played the game yet, but I think it might be possible that Jessie's path with Cloud follows a similar approach to that of Zidane and Garnet. Both Jessie and Zidane are flirts, and like Zidane, Jessie may not have been thinking much of it at first when she started flirting with Cloud, liking him and thinking he's hot but believing it was just more of her usual game. But maybe, over time, she actually starts falling for him like Zidane fell for Garnet.

Jessie could be a flirt who, for once, lets her heart get away from her just as Zidane eventually did. So while what Wedge said could be true in this case, it would be true of who Jessie was and was used to being, but not necessarily of who she's becoming. He wouldn't have any way of knowing that in this case, she could actually be developing real feelings this time and that for maybe the first time, she's going beyond her game and starting to fall for the guy she's picked. In this case, Cloud.

Legend

Rookie Adventurer
What was it that Wedge said? I haven't been keeping up with the latest and don't intend to until the release but I'm curious.

Jairus

Well it's a little bit of a spoiler, so I'll put it in a tag:
He said that Jessie's flirtatiousness was just a game she liked to play. But that could just be his opinion. She seems genuinely interested in Cloud to me. Or maybe it is a game for her, normally, but in this case her heart may get the better of her and she actually starts to fall for him. I'm not sure, but the context of the scene where he says it, his body language, and tone of voice should help us understand better how to take it when we see it. Also, seeing how she is with Cloud.

Top Bottom