Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge's Roles in the Remake Thread

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
okay I guess here's something: Jessie is inevitably going to come up again at the gold saucer, how will they handle it?
Depends on whether or not she’s alive and she totally is because the furniture is clearly arranged to spell out the kanji for—okay, I’ll stop now.
It’s really hard to say since we don’t know exactly how the timeline stuff works in this universe just yet.

There’s the idea from Maximilian Dood I mentioned before about her performing at Gold Saucer and not recognizing Cloud and the gang when they arrive, but presumably something would have had to have changed in the past to keep Jessie from joining Avalanche.

According to FF7R, she played the princess and seeing as how that role is occupied by either Aerith, Tifa, or Yuffie during the date in the OG, I don’t know if she’d still be doing that role by the time Cloud and everybody arrives.

My biggest question is if they’d bring back Jessie AND Biggs, the latter of whom we know is alive now. Maybe they’ll keep Jessie dead but if not, something tells me her along with everybody else who appears to be alive will suffer even worse fates.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
The idea of Jessie being alive but having no memory of Avalanche is one I find interesting, but I feel like having that sort of concept going on along with having Biggs still being alive from the plate fall might overcomplicate things.

One thing you got me thinking of is that Dyne shooting up the GS staff might have more of an emotional impact if some of them are established as former coworkers of Jessie's or something

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
A thought: Jesse's folks lived on top of the plate in Sector 7 didn't they? How awkward if the TAT live and they don't, especially if Jessie never signed up. Sorry Biggs/Wedge, you're the Tragic Avalanche Twosome now and Jessie kinda hates you :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I linked that subreddit to specifically point to its description:

View attachment 8585

its basically an inceldom offshoot :/

I guess waifu culture doesn't take kindly to polyamory.

(also I really don't know if I want to deep dive into what "kidfu" is).

DazzlingPeriodicGnatcatcher-size_restricted.gif

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer
In FF7R Ultimania there was a picture of her in a stage outfit that I'd never seen before. I didn't even recognize her when I saw it. Can this image be found somewhere in her dad's room, or do you think it's a (yet) unused asset?

That photo was indeed amongst a couple of others in her dad's room. I believe there's an Ultimania page somewhere with more or less all of the photos from that room with her bio.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I think maybe we could see some sort of hologram with her in her stage outfit? But I don't think we'll see her alive at the GS. For this to happen, she should indeed have her father not have that accident, and it seems unlikely. I thought that by moving the day Cloud arrives in the city, there's some time-changing shenanigans going on there, and it may be not so innocent as it seems. But the rest is probably more for a theory thread :)

Reactions: LNK

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Wait, she was the princess who gets kidnapped by Valvados in the play?? So now that the actor’s dead, they just get some broad in the audience to stand in?

Also, insert something about the role being cursed, especially if the Aeris date becomes canon.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Wait, she was the princess who gets kidnapped by Valvados in the play?? So now that the actor’s dead, they just get some broad in the audience to stand in?

Also, insert something about the role being cursed, especially if the Aeris date becomes canon.
TIL that the role of "Princess" in the play is FFVII's version of defense against the dark arts.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Maaaaaan, I'm sure glad y'all couldn't hear my obnoxiously howling like a damn hyena while scrolling the latest pages of this thread, it probably would've made yours ears bleed. This rabbit hole truly knows no bounds.

Also that waifu reddit is perturbing on so many levels. I may not be the most well-adjusted person, but

Actually I'll just leave that one alone. :troll:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Edit because forgot to mention: Also reminded me how hot X is when he gets all authoritative.

:neom:

I have a friend who's been playing through Remake the last few days, and I really do have to say that I genuinely dig the way that the game portrays the trio. Also, the way that Jessie is very much the actress putting on a character in everything that she does aside from when she's struggling with personal accountability is a really interesting foil to Cloud's persona starting to get peeled back when they interact, since they're essentially just both offering each other not-quite-honest versions of themselves.

It's especially interesting since at the start of the game, Cloud knows Tifa but she doesn't quite recognize "this" Cloud, whereas Aerith recognizes "this" Cloud but doesn't know him. Jessie serves really well as a foil to both of those interactions to help give some hints earlier on about what's going on with Cloud.

It's why I really like how Biggs & Wedge have other complimentary parts in starting to crack away at pieces of that, especially in the Chapter 3 mission, since helping to set up that gradual shift in his character was done really brilliantly. My friend has never played the original and knows nothing, but is picking up a lot of really interesting "not quite right" things just based off of the characters' interactions and vocal performances, and a lot of that is down to how meticulously they're intentionally set up by things like these comparative interactions.

X:neo:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Tbh Cloud's interactions with the Trio might be some of the most well written in the entire game. Having "new" dynamics with the edgy Cloud of the midgar section rather than just the ones we were familiar with was a huge breath of fresh air, and they go a long way towards establishing Cloud's characterization and future development.

Also shout out to how that shitty mouse doodle I did two pages ago got more likes than most of my high effort art lol.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Yes, I really enjoyed how he started to soften and care about everyone there. It shows that Cloud is not an arsehole, and I quite like that. I think the most interesting thing to think about, is that Cloud arrived at Midgard but was very robot-like, in the way he's like "not interested" and trying to be cool and not caring. But this melts quite quickly, and he starts caring about everybody right away. And this is shown not only through Tifa and Aerith this time around, but also through the trio and Barret. As I see it, the sidequests can look not so interesting, but they force -Cloud- to get interested in what's going on around him, in people who are caring for him, etc. In that way, Remake is really very well-done.

It's like, he's becoming more humane as he deals with humans.

Top Bottom