Last Film You've Seen

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Saw Dances With Wolves. I hadn't seen it in a long time and now all I keep thinking is "Oh look President Roslin is an indian and I saw her naked from the back".

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
First of all, anyone seeing this? Yes, you. Go eat before you see this because there's obviously a lot of cooking. I liked the premise of the story and there was a lot of comedy to keep me entertained. The relationship between Carl, his son and his friend was lovely. I imagine that there was a lot of food for the cast and crew to eat as well. Carl's rant at the food critic was pretty much the best scene ever. It might be a film about food, but it's got heart and even shows Carl having a lot of flaws. I like that.

Give me anything with Noel Clarke and I will be all over that, he's one of the rare talents from over here I love to see in everything. The story is confusing, but soon becomes evident: his character wakes up with no memory of where he is, what he's done, etc. And get this, he only has 9 minutes and 47 seconds exactly until he blacks out and then wakes up further down the future.

I even timed the scenes and they're definitely no longer than the time mentioned above. The futuristic world was quite visually impressive, too. Ian Somerhalder was another reason I wanted to see it because I rate him so highly as an actor. He seemed a bit stiff at first, but then realised why as his father is actually controlling Noel's character and it's why he keeps having blackouts. The race to rescue the boy called Alex is quite confusing, but thrilling.

Kudos to the American girl who played the prostitute that helped him out. I can't remember her name, though. I actually can't be bothered to look it up. :monster:

But yeah, I'd definitely recommend this film if you love a mysterious sci-fi thriller.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Just ugh. No. It was too long for one; 2 hours and 40 minutes. At least a third of the film could have been cut out, as it was unnecessary towards the story. A few of the action sequences were pretty good, since millions were put into them. It's certainly not an improvement over the previous installments, but Mark made a better lead for sure. The Irish guy also had nice eyes. I'd give it 4/10 and recommend everyone to avoid it like the plague.

There was no way I'd avoid this! Melissa is brilliant. It starts off a bit slow and predictable, but it does build up and the road trip is really insightful. It's resonating with a point in my life right now and hoping that I don't get to that age when I do something drastic. I don't get the negativity from the critics, it was hilarious.

Nope, not the second and new one. The first one. Yep, you heard right. It's four years old and I'm only just getting round to it. I really liked it. Hiccup's charm and humour was really nice, but Toothless is the real star of the show. He stole a lot of scenes with his facial expressions and I haven't laughed that hard in a while. The conclusion was quite predictable, but I still loved it. Can't wait to see the second one!

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Sword of the Stranger - I came across a random list of 'Japanese movies you haven't heard of but must watch' or some shit a while ago and downloaded a bunch of movies. IDK, this one was enjoyable enough, but probably mostly because it was foreign, :monster:. Quite tropey though.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Finally got around to watching Man of Steel.

There's 2 hours & 23 minutes of my life I'm not getting back... unless I could somehow fly around the Earth fast enough to reverse time.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is really, really good

9/10

Same one, it's quite awesome. I don't like the humans (of course), they're too stereotypical and TBH kinda dumb - but then, what else is new. If it was more realistic the humans would be much more level and have a bit of common sense and be like 'yo dawg, aight, 'sup dawg, we just need to fix this thing aight'. But then, common sense would probably make for a boring movie, :monster:.

What really stood out to me in the second half (we get breaks, don't hate) was the CGI; it struck me that the apes are rendered pretty damn close to realism; animations were awesome, details like fur were indistinguishable from reality, etc. Some of the environments were still pretty obviously CGI, but that's probably a matter of budget. The next step is to jump across the uncanny valley threshold and render people, I guess.

I also remembered a grumble I had a while ago about there not being any realistic animated movies, but TBH I lie because almost all major movies are at least 50% high-quality / realistic computer animation. Re: my previous paragraph, now I'm tempted to believe that once they got people CGI beyond the uncanny valley, they'll get rid of actors altogether, :monster:.

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
@ Cthulhu

I didn't mind the humans very much because a bulk of characterization is given to the apes and there's a good parallelism between Ceasar+Koba and Malcolm+Commision Gordon. They also balanced the morality with the apes instigating the conflict this time around (since the first film all evil is given to the humans.)True, about the CGI at the end of the film we were like "Ooooh they zoomed into his eyes how proud of them of their CGI."

That's being said, there's nothing offensive in the film but I felt it's too male-focused, but that's only a minor complaint.

Our major complaint is how Gordon never even tried to call Batman :awesome:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
TBH not enough supervillains to light the batsignal, :monster:. I mean it's apes on horses, not a clown with a machine gun, :monster:.

But yeah, thanks for that reminder; humans weren't portrayed as evil, just kinda dumb :monster:. And the apes were the focal point of the movie (with final battles and shit). And they avoided portraying them of being some pacifist hippie colony, too. [/ramble]

Cabaret

Donator
RE doing away with actors in favour of CGI:
I was listening to a radio show about that a long while ago and a lot of actors are anticipating it, but the conclusion at that time was it would be too expensive to do at that time but that some actors were broadening their CVs to inc theatre, directing voice over etc

I'd like to go see it but I don't know if I can justify a 60 off mile round trip just for a film. That's put me off the cinema of late.

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, about actors and CGI, actors are still more profitable because of all the media buzz. People are interested in their private lives and scandals and CGI characters don't have that. :monster:

But it also depends on the genre, maybe CGI won't replace actors but it would keep them perpetually young, making it cinematic universes lasting for decades possible.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Review — "Hercules" just short of divine
As you're probably aware, The Rock/Dwayne Johnson's "Hercules" was released to theatres Friday. I say it's The Rock's movie because, well, it's The Rock. Brett Ratner directed it, though, if you care (you don't).

Rather surprisingly, Ratner did a fine job and this movie is a lot of fun. The cast are all legitimately good actors, the unexpectedly large cast of characters is distinct and memorable, the humor is organic and the film balances funny stuff with some truly horrific shit without ever letting the tone slip too far in either direction.

There is an early battle sequence that comes off as very odd at the time (why lay a trap with a large host of unarmored assailants?), but will ultimately make sense in light of later information about the foe Hercules and his friends face. That army needed to appear as arcane or unnatural as possible, even if it made no practical sense.

The film never tries to be too clever even though it doesn't slide into not taking itself seriously enough either. A difficult balance to strike.

Another unexpected bit of equity comes in the film's use of its two female cast members. Though obviously neither get the exploration of the lead, nor would one expect them to in a movie called "Hercules," they are presented vividly and leave the viewer with a strong sense of who they are.

Both are individuals and people before anything else. Neither are played for gratuitous sex appeal or just around for decoration. There are also no romantic subplots, forced or otherwise, in which one or both are awarded to deserving males. Furthermore, though only one is a capable warrior, neither comes off as luggage. Even the princess has a strong will backed up with useful non-combative skills, and even when in danger, neither character fulfills the damsel-in-distress trope so much as just being characters on the screen in dangerous situations.

While on the subject of the characters, perhaps my favorite element of the filmmaking here is how it convinces you of the bonds between Hercules and his companions without resorting to melodrama. More than just caring for one another, there's such apparent respect and familiarity in their interactions -- both the things they do and don't say, behaviors both subtle and pronounced -- that you believe it when you see it.

One potential mark against this movie for a lot of viewers may end up being that it doesn't quite deliver what you think it's going to. Hercules is, of course, from Greek mythology, and you tend to expect certain elements to come along with that, which don't this time.

Honestly, that works in the movie's favor more than not. It doesn't entirely abandon those supernatural elements, but it does not want to be defined by them, so it doesn't allow itself to be. More attention is, thus, given to parts of the filmmaking that aren't CG, and that too works in its favor.

My only personal gripe with "Hercules" is that it could have stood to be longer at only 1 hour, 38 minutes. It packs a lot of content into that time span, though, and never wastes a minute of it.

Brett Ratner may have temporarily ruined the X-Men film franchise eight years ago, but he's proven here that he had a good one in him. Certainly this movie is a collaborative work, as movies tend to be, but if I have been giving Ratner the blame for "X-Men: The Last Stand" since 2006, I can also be humble enough to give him the lion's share of the credit for what we got here.

Don't go into this expecting "Clash of the Titans" (it's better for one thing) and you should like it. Stick with playing "God of War" or watching Kevin Sorbo and "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" if you do need heavy does of cinematic mythology, but I would argue that this iteration of the demigod shares a lot in common with the fun factor of both of those.

Brett Ratner and The Rock don't reinvent any wheels with "Hercules," but it's worth your time. Go see it.

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
I rewatched A Prairie Home Companion again last night, with tears in my eyes. A beautiful farewell film to a brilliant career by the late Robert Altman. Besides Renoir preceding him, I can't think of any director that gives so much love to every character, every single character really matters in his films. For me the most beautiful film from the last 10 or so years.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Jumanji, Mrs Doubtfire and Aladdin. All while I was waiting for a package to come yesterday. :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Iron Sky. I was entertained, :monster:. Gotta give it props though, by the looks of it they scrounged money together from dozens of sources to produce it, there seems to be a history behind it much bigger than hollywood movies.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Over the weekend, I saw "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" and "What If."

The "Sin City" sequel/prequel/whateverquel is more of what you loved in the first. It's not better, it's probably not quite as good, but it's more of that. Go see it.

"What If" is simply awesome. One of the best romantic-comedies you will ever see, it has some of the best on-screen chemistry you will ever see as well, and should firmly prove to the world that Daniel Radcliffe is more than the boy wizard we know him best as.

Great acting, great writing, and all the sensibilities of "(500) Days of Summer," even if it's opposite in tone. If you can only go to the movies for one film right now, pick this one.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Robocop (2014). It's... yeah, it's pretty bad. Half-arsed and unimpressive story, underwhelming action.

Robocop (2014). It's... yeah, it's pretty bad. Half-arsed and unimpressive story, underwhelming action.
To be fair, for every 10 ideas the director had the studio let one through, and it could have been alot worse. Still no reason for me to see it 3 times in theatres tho :sigh:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
The King's Speech, finally. A welcome change from the chain of formulaic / tropey Hollywood shit that dominates the movie scene.

Also Fantastic 4 silver surfer this afternoon, but TBPH it was shit. I liked the few episodes involving the silver dude back when they turned it into a cartoon, never did know how that developed / ended, which is a shame.

Saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and, aside from Andy Serkis's acting, I felt it dragged. The humans were awfully wooden.

Guardians of the Galaxy was a lot of fun, but I don't understand why either Groot or Rocky (or both) couldn't have been female.

I watched The Desolation of Smaug today. Definitely the most entertaining of the three.

Top Bottom