Last Film You've Seen

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Mans Chest

giphy.gif

Best thing about it is Bill Nighy as Davey Jones.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
I watched the 3 hobbit movies back to back over two days. The extended versions.

I regret nothing! :monster:

Ghost X

They Live

Decided to watch this because apparently Anti-Semites have come to praise the film as some sort of allegory, and I wanted to see what all the fuss is about. Of course, Anti-Semites are idiots, but the film kept me entertained. Acting and over-all quality could have been a bit better. Most expensive thing in the film was probably the hiring of helicopters, so 3.5/5 stars.

I also understand what that OBEY brand thing is about now :monster:.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
• Rewatched Shin Godzilla on my flight out - still love it tons.
• Watched The Killing Joke on my flight back - it was ok even if it didn't feel significant more than any other TAS episode.
• Watched Secret Life of Pets on my flight back - it was fairly amusing.
• Watched Your Name on my flight back - it was absolutely fucking phenomenal.

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
The new xXx film. Typical of what you'd expect, though glad to see Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa and other more International cast members.

A shame about all that shakycam editing totally fucking up the action choreography though. (Great jokes poked at the Avengers though).

X :neo:

xXx

What X said. Tho Tony Jaa is barely in the movie. More a name than actually utilizing his talents.

Underworld: Blood Wars

It's another Underworld movie. Don't expect anything more, or less. Some fun kills tho.

Split

If you ever thought M.Night was a good director, go see it. That's all I'll say.
p.s. Except that there's something I was worried about after seeing the trailer.
I was worried that he'd turn into a monster-man, which is kinda bullshit. He handled it well tho, I've seen video of guys free hand climbing stuff MUCH more difficult than what he does in the movie, though the iron-like skin pushes it a bit too far for me.
Aside from that one aspect, it was ok for me to go with.
P.p.s. Actually, no. The very last scene nullifies that problem I had. Well done M.Night. Glad to see you back.

Last edited:

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
Sailor Moon R the Movie. Didn't think I'd see a Sailor Moon film in theaters, but it was pretty neat. English dub was good and they really cleaned it up. Like you could see the cel painted flaws and the little shadows from the layers. Original Japanese score and music were intact. I wish the Pokemon movies had this treatment.

Sapp

Rookie Adventurer
^ Wish they showed more anime films at any of my local theaters. Resurrection F was the last one I remember playing near me, but still a good hour drive to get there.

Watched Split last night. It delivered for me, and I shamelessly got excited after that ending. Watched Your Name before that, and on the subject of anime films it might be the best one I've ever seen.

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
The Return of Godzilla (Godzilla 1984).

The not-shitty Japanese version. The American version can go rot in a landfill with the Atari E.T. game.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Yu-Gi-Oh: The Dark Side of Dimensions
image002.jpg
It was surprisingly a good (YuGiOh) movie, really liked it.
Spoilers incoming:

The biggest triumph of the movie is its storytelling and plot compared to the its two predecesors, the movies shows that despite being just giant ad for a children card game, YuGiOh (anime) can have compelling characters and plot if put the effort (albeit a bit restraint by the format but still compelling storytellign nonetheless.)

In many ways you can say that this is Kaiba´s movie (I like to call it Kaiba´s Ego: The Movie), he takes most of the feature screentime, gets the best one-liners and has the most over the top and ridiculous (in a good way) moments of it. His obsetion in trying to bring back Atem was delightful to see and how eventually finds a way to challenge him (via some time travel shenanigan using high tech and egyptian magic with Aigami´s cube) fun to see (a true Bond Beyond Time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )) but probably the best aspect from said obsetion was seeing how over the course of the movie he comes to accept that Yugi is also a worthy rival for him.

Yugi got some good development despite not really being the main character here. As I said above, finally seeing him really embrace his title of #1 duelist and stand up to Kaiba to the point where Kaiba gives in to him was a huge moment for him, he is no longer lacking in confidence and is becoming more and more like Atem. Some of his speeches were also very well done in terms of countering Aigami’s ideals.

Aigami was a well done villain, they gave him a full backstory that linked into the already established lore very well, connecting him to the other 7 millennium items, having Shadi be his mentor and saviour and having his hatred stem from the incident where Bakura became the host for Yami Bakura/Zorc was well done while also completing Bakura’s arc explaining how he got his item from the original series. That said, there are some rough edges, his powers are not exactly well explain and his demonic transformation by the Millenium Ring (and some stuff involving said item), while easily explainable, came a bit forced to me.

It was a bummer not seeing Joe having a single duel :( .

The overall animation was visually appealing and crispped but the CGI for some monsters were a big jarring next to other hand drawn monsters. As ever the duels are very over the top, loud and dramatic as usual - children card games are serious bussiness- , the highlight being Yugi vs Kaiba as this matchup usually is.
The inclussion of Dimension Dueling can be seeing a simple gimmick with nothing particular interesting but I think it´s an acceptable excuse to streamline and make duels faster to keep them more or less up to pace with how fast current YuGiOh duels work so not problems from my end. The only problem that some duels migh have had would be the nature of the Cubic archetype not coming across very clearly and the unnecesary additions of more effects to other monsters, the would have worked perfectly fine the one they already had in the anime.

As a critic I´d probably give this movie a 7/10, as a fan I´d give it an 8/10 or even an 8.5/10 .... fuck it, let´s give it a 8.5/10 :D

This movie is highly recommended if you are fan of the Duel Monster anime.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Arrival. 8 thumbs up.

Won't go into plot details. But Amy Adams is a phenomenal actress. She literally disappears into her roles.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
John Wick chapter 2

Don't bother if you haven't watched 1. Don't bother if you're sober and point out all of the plot holes and shit either. Do watch if you like quality action scenes, mechanical murder, and video-game like games though. It feels in a way like video games, like idk, Hitman meets MGS involving preparation and mechanical execution and some weird illuminati shit involving a noble assassin network like thing fuck if I know.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Hacksaw Ridge, perfect Valentine's Day movie.

Very good film. Could have lost some of the 'heroically incinerating people' bits, but otherwise it's one of those films where you can't complain about the the main character being loved for being awesome because he is. I hear they actually toned down some of the crazier stuff he did.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
We watched Amelie tonight thinking it was suitable for the Mageling to sit in on and quickly realising there were more sexy scenes than we remembered. o.O
Still a fantastic film though.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Two Ghibli films in the last two days. First, Howl's Moving Castle, which I'd seen before, then My Neighbour Totoro, which I hadn't. It was fun but it felt like it was mainly aimed at children, unlike most other Ghibli films I've seen, which have contained a lot more darkness and conflict.

Ghost X

Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystal

Got around to seeing this film the other day.
Kind of lost me as a sequel to FFV with a weird robot alien antagonist, but I liked the quirky anime style, which seems Toriyama-esque (the colour palette, the curvy vehicles, and the designs of the chocobo and dragon). The movie lacked good pacing. First half was all right to watch, second half was fairly boring. Fairly forgettable as a whole, so can't give it anything better than a...
3/5 stars.

Ghost X

Jack Reacher 2

I only watch Tom Cruise movies when I can do so for free :P.
Nothing groundbreaking, but watchable. 3/5 stars.

The 9th life of Louie Drax

A movie that tried to be something different. I liked how it became increasingly warped from a fairly innocent beginning, but the way the figurative strings were tied together at the end just didn't sit well with me. 3/5 stars :P.

Last edited:

Anemone

Pro Adventurer
The Brave Little Toaster. >.> I found the DVD on sale the other day. It was one of my favourite movies as a kid (much to the chagrin of my Aunt, who threatened to burn it because of how often I watched it).

Ghost X

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

The marketing for this was pretty crap, because the film was a lot better than the impressions I got from the trailers. However, the very end (the happy ever after bit) drags out far too long, which had me thinking "hurry up already", otherwise 3.5/5 stars.

Ghost X

Logan

This movie was pretty much perfect up until Xavier died. Then it kind of lost me a little. I found myself conscious of all the little details the film makers did, especially at the beginning of the film (like cinematography, etc), that were just excellent. Also liked the dynamics between Xavier, Logan, and Caliban. That and how age affected Xavier and Logan. Especially Xavier. Interesting thing that few films explore.

The first fight where Laura reveals her powers, was the best bit of the film to me, at least action-wise. It is rare that I press myself against the cinema chair, feeling an uncontrollable urge to scream with excitement :P, and that bit did it for me. Fortunately/unfortunately the screaming never happens :awesome:. Maybe in the future :P.

What a wasted opportunity with Xavier dying though. He was probably my favourite character in the movie. I thought the seizures and the whole WMD thing was building up to something, but nope. DEAD.

Wasn't a huge fan that the bad guy's bulldog (so to speak) was basically a clone of Wolverine either... but tried my best to like what they did with him: The old-but-experienced Logan, fighting the young, powerful, but rather novice X-24. <-- Another trope that has been done to death, but liked it enough. I was hoping to be teary-eyed at the end, but the film failed in that department for me too.

Liked that the R rating was used properly, which no doubt helped the film. Practical effects too. CGI hidden well, not abused. Humour was just right. Was looking to be a 5-star rating up until Xavier died, but then became about a 3.5 star film after that. So I'll give it a...
3.9/5 stars.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Finally, finally saw the Imitation Game with Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley
and promptly wept over Alan Turing's fate. Ridiculous. We've come such a long way in terms of rights for the LGBTQIA community!

Top Bottom