Last Film You've Seen

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Not that I'm trying to force you to like the movie or anything! But I do think it's unfair to judge a work based on its film adaptation. It's a nice treat for fans, but I would definitely not try to pass it off as comparable to the original work.
If it makes you feel better, I felt that way about Watchmen before the film was released. :awesome: I haven't completely read it, but I've browsed at it in the library... and it wasn't my cup of tea. But like you said, to each their own. :)
and I loved the film adaptation of Coraline! I thought it was excellent. Deserved best animated feature Oscar IMO (Up was fantastic too, but I liked Coraline a smidge better). Granted, I haven't read the novel so I may have felt differently if I had.
It was a good film, but could have been better. There were places where it should have deviated from the book to be a better film, and others where it should have followed the book more closely.

I think Stardust (based on another Neil Gaiman book) is the best example of how to balance this.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
If it makes you feel better, I felt that way about Watchmen before the film was released. :awesome: I haven't completely read it, but I've browsed at it in the library... and it wasn't my cup of tea. But like you said, to each their own. :)

Fair enough :)

I think Stardust (based on another Neil Gaiman book) is the best example of how to balance this.

Oh yes, I loved Stardust (book was good, movie was really fun). I agree, Stardust was not only a great adaptation, but a great film in its own right. It's a shame that it didn't do as well as I thought it would.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Alice in Wonderland is supposed to be random as shit nonsense. The original story was like the definition of absurdist fiction. Doesn't mean its a great idea for a movie though, I haven't seen it so I say no more.

My most recent film? A Clockwork Orange. I'm siiiiinging in the rain, just siiiiinging in the rain... what a glorious feeling... I'm haaaapy again!

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
The biggest critcism I could give to the Alice movie is that it wasn't nonsensical enough. Still, when it comes to stories like this, the mythos gets so far removed from the original source material that is becomes ok if take A is totally different from take B.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Oh! The last movie I saw was Zombieland. As far asI can remember. It was on a Quantas airline more than 3 weeks ago.

That shit is going to be a zombie survival bible for me.

Also in the same sitting I saw half of Jennifer's Body, which despite the constant Megan Fox pandering, is still the biggest dump-load of garbage I've ever seen.
I think I will try and make it up to myself by looking for the sequel to Flying High!.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Not that I know of. Saw Death Proof a while ago too, but I got bored after watching half an hour of chicks chatting in a car or some shit like that.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Am I the only one that HASN'T seen Alice in Wonderland, and has no desire to? O_o;

What I did watch recently, was the syfy Alice. Now THAT was an awesome movie. :D

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Am I the only one that HASN'T seen Alice in Wonderland, and has no desire to? O_o;

No. Alice looks like Avatar in the sense of it having 3D as its main selling point, but then for kids.

Also, Sparrow Depp should get himself a role I can take seriously again for a change. You know, one that requires acting skills instead of being a weirdo.

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
Meh, I saw Alice. It was very very pretty. That's really about it.
It left me ~empty~ at the end. Hatter was the best part of the movie and it's obvious that they kinda built it around him. As always.
I seriously think Depp and Burton need a break from each other. And maybe Burton can stop hiring his wife to do everything. I think some space would do them all good.

Anyway, last one I actually saw was Precious. I cried ;__;

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Really? I didn't care much for Hatter in the film. I was all for Red Queen, White Queen and Cheshire :monster:

Precious is horribly depressing :( I have trouble watching that film...

Lat film I saw: Up in the Air. It was cute. A little bit funny, a little bit sad.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Also, Sparrow Depp should get himself a role I can take seriously again for a change. You know, one that requires acting skills instead of being a weirdo.
Does Sweeney Todd or Public Enemies count? :geek:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE.

Movie is amazing and Depp is at his hottest. <3

As for a movie I have seen, today I watched Project X (where Mathew Broderick and Helen Hunt save chimps from experimentation), and also the ending of Princess Bride. :)

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
Ugh, saw Final Destination 4.
Omg, it's so bad I want my my 1hr+ back ;__;
I was literally fastforwarding just to get to the deaths because I guess that was the whole point. Granted that is the whole point with all of them beyond the 1st, but this didn't even try.

If I had paid for this I'd have cried

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Serenity on Blu-ray. Shiny. :awesome:
:awesome: I love the new commentary on the BluRay. Nathan Fillion AND Summer Glau's commentary debut?

Pokemon 4Ever - yes, I know. I'll watch Mewtwo Strikes Back to see a better Pokemon film.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Tenny, go find that kid taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus, we need a hood ornament. :awesome:

(Lovin' the Firefly/Serenity love on the forums. :))

Watching Pokemon the First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back. A bit hard going, cos in my teens I watched it so much, I know most of the dialogue off by heart. :awesome:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Is this from a movie that I recently mentioned? Because I don't remember it. :/
:lol: Sorry. It's from a deleted scene the gag reel for Serenity.
When the crew start to Reaver up their ship after finding Haven destroyed. Only, Nathan Fillion, who plays Mal, decided to mess about... :awesome:

NATHAN: "Get these bodies together."
GINA TORRES (ZOE): "We got time for grave diggin'?"
NATHAN: "Zoe, you and Simon are gonna rope 'em together, 5 or 6 of 'em. I want them laid out on the nose of our ship."
SEAN MAHER (SIMON): "Are you insane?"
NATHAN: "Put Book front and centre. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's takin' a dirt-nap with baby Jesus, we need a hood ornament. Jayne, try not to steal too much of their shit! Wash..."

At which point Nathan walks off camera, everyone dissolves into a fit of giggles, and Nathan and Joss Whedon hug. Aww... :awesome:

Top Bottom