Last Film You've Seen

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Mothra vs. Godzilla (Godzilla vs. the Thing)

#4 on my list going through my Godzilla films. Nostalgia city, since I hadn't seen it since I was a kid, and it was one of the first Godzilla films I ever saw. Still can't figure why they shoehorned the name "The Thing" in for Mothra constantly in the US version. Really confusing. I think I'll watch through the original Japanese Edit in a bit, since it's one of the Monster Editions that contains both edits.
Just as an FYI if you're interested: there's a fanfic out there that is actually Godzilla vs The Thing (John Carpenter film). It's set as a semi-sequel to Mothra vs. Godzilla, but also uses some background mythos from the Mothra films.

@ TOPIC: tried watching Beowulf again. Gave up after the tenth time Ray Winston out-hammed Brian Blessed (so, twenty mins into the film).

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Inglorious Basterds.

I like to dedicate this massive 'meh' to all Tarantino movies I've seen so far.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Daybreakers - Sam Neill and Willem Dafoe both excellent as ever. :D I have to say, I enjoyed this more than I suspected I would. Some bits were annoyingly vague, especially how the vampire "plague" worked, or where patient zero was from, or how the hell did some animals go vamp, not to mention why there were so many bats out during the day.

However, all in all, very enjoyable. The performances were enough to take my mind off of the plot holes most of the time, and the way news of the "cure" was handled (especially how
it was "dissipated" amongst the soldiers at the end
) rang true.

Only one last thing bothers me... how similar the logo to the pharmaceutical company was to the Cybus Corporation in Dr Who...

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Daybreakers - Sam Neill and Willem Dafoe both excellent as ever. :D I have to say, I enjoyed this more than I suspected I would. Some bits were annoyingly vague, especially how the vampire "plague" worked, or where patient zero was from, or how the hell did some animals go vamp, not to mention why there were so many bats out during the day.

However, all in all, very enjoyable. The performances were enough to take my mind off of the plot holes most of the time, and the way news of the "cure" was handled (especially how
it was "dissipated" amongst the soldiers at the end
) rang true.

Only one last thing bothers me... how similar the logo to the pharmaceutical company was to the Cybus Corporation in Dr Who...

Have you ever seen Undead? It's by the same directors, and pretty grand.

I saw The Kung-Fu Karate Kid.

I rather enjoyed it.

X :neo:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Avatar - not as bad as I feared, but could have been soo much better. Especially if it stopped trying to convince everyone it's better than it is.

Essenitally: sci-fi stock tech vs. stock fantasy world.
I haven't. I'll keep an eye out for it, thanks. :)

I saw The Kung-Fu Karate Kid.

I rather enjoyed it.

X :neo:
Yeah Undead is awesome. I dare you to find another movie where a australian redneck swings upside down from his spurs shooting zombies.

Really karate kid was good? I've been hearing the fight scenes are sweet, but that theres a whole lot of boredom in the middle, plus it's 2 1/2 hours long.

Dalik

Not Your World Anymore.
Toy Story 3.

Totally worth the 11 year wait since Toy Story 2. Not only did Pixar keep to the classic feel of the series, they also added a lot more depth to the story and characters. I think it has to be the best animated film I've seen this year, and I really doubt any of the others this year will be able to match the depth of Toy Story 3, while still keeping it funny. But yeah, if you liked the first two, this sequel is more aimed at the original audience from 11 years ago. So yeah, if you liked the older ones, go see it. :monster:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Sex and the City 2.

Oh god, the puns. They kill. This was actually significantly worse than the first one. At least with the first one you could get drunk and overly sentimental while yelling at the screen (oh no! Mr. Big has done something predictabley heinous Carrie! How are they going to get over this one while still keeping her ~female~ integrity?) Unfortunately, this one even lacked that quality.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Toy Story 3. I thought it was great, though it also made me a bit sad since I was suddenly concerned about my old toys since I also left for college.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Gah, I keep seeing buses go past my window with ads for the latest Twilight flick. So, I've decided to re-watch some films with proper vampires in them.

The first one I've watched is 30 Days of Night. I have to say, I prefer this to the comic (builds up more characterisation, introduces us to more characters than the comic, so we're more emotionally invested in their struggle when they triumph/die). The only downside to the film from the comic is that the vampires have their own language in the film version - in a way, it is an interesting notion, but you would expect them to speak English more, even if only to put the frighteners on their victims.

The vampires are properly vicious, not the suave creatures of the night that plague popular fiction. Admittedly, the majority seem borderline rabid zombie (a la 28 Days Later), with only a few showing any human traits and/or cunning, but it does make for a different take to the vampire myth than is usually seen. And, if I'm honest, one that's probably more in keeping with the original folklore.

As far as vampire flicks go, you could easily do worse (Twilight films, Queen of the Damned and Dracula 3000 spring to mind...), but due to how the popular perception of vampires is more debonair than these blood-thirsty monsters, don't expect 30 Days of Night to ever become more than a cult hit.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Toy Story 3

I WAS ACTUALLY LEGITIMATELY UPSET AT THE FATE OF BO PEEP IN THIS MOVIE. IN FACT IT'S STILL TEARING ME UP INSIDE. GODDAMN YOU PIXAR FOR BREAKING MY HEART.

By the end I was crying uncontrollably. I could barely watch during the part with the incinerator.

Also, that monkey was really, really scary.

I need to stop getting overly emotional at kids movies.

*sobs* ;_;

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Saw it. Looney was right, that scene is absolutely sickening. I could barely watch.

Fuck you Lotso Bear.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Null I don't think you're even the oldest person here. :/

Anyway, I think the last movie I saw was Smiley Face. Stars Anna Farris and has a lot of celebs you wouldn't expect. But damn she wastes so much weed. lol

Hilarious, though, but it's mostly a type of humor that is only funny the first time you watch it.

Last edited:

Ghost X

Saw Napoleon Dynamite. Maybe a tad bit over-rated, but certainly bizarre and funny. Saw Jennifer 8 as well. Slightly above average mystery film.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
To celebrate the long weekend, and reinforce a military history I'm reading, I've been watching the John Adams series. Each one is roughly as long as a feature length film.

It's good stuff. I was expecting Ye Olde Entourage (like most other HBO miniseries) but it turned out to be a sober and straightforward historical drama. The series portrays the human aspect of the Revolutionary War, following Adams behind the scenes as he interacts with the other Founding Fathers as well as the courts of Britain and France.

It's a sort of warts-and-all portrayal but without overt sensationalism: Adams as fiercely principled but vain and utterly lacking charisma; Franklin as a somewhat two-faced socialite given to debauchery; Jefferson aloof, quiet and stoic but radical even by today's standards; Washington as a perfect gentleman in a "get the fuck out of my personal space" sort of way.

And holy dog poo, King George the 3rd is a bad ass. Watch this if you have a few minutes. Dude could have ended the war by coming over and staring everyone down.

Instead of the usual "evil lobsterbacks" spin, the war itself is handled evenly. Both sides were right, and both sides were wrong, like a wayward son emancipating from his father over a vicious quarrel, but returning hat in hand as neighbor and equal.

Anyway, that's too much typing but it's already done so *thbpbtthpt*

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Finally got around to seeing Inglorious Basterds. It was ok, could have been much better IMO.

Also, does Brad Pitt EVER play a non-douche?

Top Bottom