Last Film You've Seen

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I have a major issue with the US release of Ong Bak. There's an entire sub-plot with the main female character.
Her sister is working as a hooker. They get in a few arguments about it throughout the film. She's the one who gets killed being forced to OD. She left her sister an envelope full of all the money she earned, so that she could go back to college.

X :neo:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

Its taken me probably more time than it should have to organize my thoughts about this movie. I definitely enjoyed it, and I can definitely pin most of the reasons why this movie succeeds solely on the performance of Nicholas Cage. Oh yes, that's right, Nicholas Cage is the best thing about this movie. I should probably qualify that statement by saying that by no means is the rest of the movie bad, but this is easily one of the best performances of Nicholas Cage's career.

In most of his films, Nicholas Cage's particular breed of over the top eccentricity often undermine the tone or crediblity of the movie, making whatever he's in closer to a parody, this is something that nearly everyone can agree on. But here, that very style of acting is used to advantage, demonstrating a movie that has geared itself towards the peculiarities of its lead actor and perfectly utilises them to enhance the film. In the film, Cage plays a cop nearly constantly high on a variety of drugs, and watching this man's life as it gradually and inevitably spirals out of control is to watch Nicholas Cage's performance become more and more frighteningly unhinged without ever compromising the film as a whole because the part is so reliant on the kind of insanity that only Nicholas Cage can bring to a role.

The movie isn't without flaws though. Watching the ongoing story of Cage's police detective descend into the throes of addiction is definitely more interesting than the movie's actual plot - the police investigation that he's involved with, which can be kind of a problem sometimes. It also gets a bit weird, which never takes away from the overall flying high tone of the movie, but I would understand if some people couldn't quite bring themselves around to liking it because of these surreal asides.

Particular mention should be made of Xzibit showing up here as 'the bad guy' (a meaningless term in a film with an outright villain protagonist, but whatever) showing that he does have some potential as a credible actor.

Recommended if you want to see the perfect way in which to use Nicholas Cage in a film. But not one I'd re-watch in a hurry because of the fairly stodgy main plot.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Mars Attacks - played spot the actor most of the time. XD Also, as this is the first time for a while that I've seen this film, it's occured to me that the Martians are total trolls.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - still awesome. Also watched it with the actor's commentary on. Brandon Routh is awesome, Ellen Wong filmed somes scenes high on Smarties, and Michael Cera... likes Deal or No Deal. :huh:

WALL-E - first time I've seen this film. I think it's the sweetest thing I've seen in ages. If you don't tear-up a little when
Wall-E appears to have forgotten EVE
, you're inhuman. Also, probably a better eco-message than Cameron's Avatar. :P

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
Black Swan

Yeah, the trailer pretty much gives everything away and I was very hesitant going in because while I love Aronofsky, I'm tired of this sex=dark side fo humanity theme hollywood's got going.

Aaanywhoozle. I loved it.
It's beautiful, which is to expected as it's set in the world of ballet and based on Swan Lake. Can't wait to buy the DVD when it comes out :)

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Alex I take it you didn't like Face/Off or Lord of War? Or Matchstick Men?

Because I kinda thought Cage's personality fit perfectly in those :monster:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Haven't seen Matchstick Men, but Face/Off and Lord of War are great. Lord of War was actually one of my favourite movies of his (alongside Kick-Ass) because they all seriously played to his strengths. If you liked those, I highly recommend it mate :)

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
FACE/OFF I HAVEN'T SEEN IT IN AGES BUT SO GOOD OMG

Also, saw Tron tonight.

Wish I hadn't. =/

But the company was so very worth it :oscar:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Season of the Witch

Thoroughly enjoyed myself. If you want to see a movie with Ron Perelman and Nic Cage being Ron Perelman and Nic Cage, go see it.
Ron Perelman has one of the coolest deaths ever.
Really, this movie is only worth watching if you know what you're getting in to, and don't expect too much from it. I had an absolute blast.

X :neo:

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Toy Story 1 and 2, in preparation for finally seeing the 3rd one. So good. Also, watching it as an adult there's all these easter eggs and jokes you catch that you didn't get as a kid.
Rex in the side-mirror Jurassic Park-style, Hakuna Matata playing for a few seconds in the background, Buzz...showing his 'excitement' with his wings popping up, etc.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Toy Story 1 and 2, in preparation for finally seeing the 3rd one. So good. Also, watching it as an adult there's all these easter eggs and jokes you catch that you didn't get as a kid.
Rex in the side-mirror Jurassic Park-style, Hakuna Matata playing for a few seconds in the background, Buzz...showing his 'excitement' with his wings popping up, etc.

:monster: that is why kids' movies are fun for adults too. Well, sometimes, other times kids' movies just make grownups vomit.

@thread, The Imaginarium of dr. Parnassus. Mouthful, do not recommend pronouncing it.

And recommend watching movie when high on drugs. Fucking trippy an' shit, :monster:.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Up in The Air

due to my condition worsening, I couldn't go out for most if not all of this week, while I finished spartacus I came across this. The movie basically portrays my ideal 'dream' job if I can't afford to become a pilot, but make no mistake I don't like FIRING people, I merely like the idea of travelling 250 days a year as said by George Clooney. But as the old saying goes, becareful what you wish for. This movie plays the ups and downs of travelling constantly and the psychological strain of the job perfectly and shows how George Clooney warns about how technology ( Skype-like calls) of firing someone compared to the technique he posseses from experience alone. I also like how they delve into his personal life and his growing desires to finally settle down. It also is an excellent movie for a time where the economy is in total disarray and shows how difficult it is for some people to make it in today's world. A good watch.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Pride and Prejudice.

A great film, with an awesome (and sometimes funny) performance by Donald Sutherland. Knightley does her thing and settles right into the independent "I have dangerous woman thoughts what the hell do you expect" character role, Judi Dench plays an old bitch well, sounding dangerous without being irritating.

I don't know if it's intentional, but Mrs Bennet was the most annoying abomination I've ever seen in a movie like this. Every word coming out of her mouth involves something about marriage and inheritance and agreeability and 'handsomeness' and every time she flounces on the screen to say something about how all her daughters should be married to someone wealthy I just want to scream "SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU STUPID BINT YOU ARE SO FUCKING BACKWARDS AND I WANT YOUR HUSBAND TO CAVE YOUR FACE IN JUST TO SHOW THAT BLOOD COMING OUT YOUR HEAD IS BETTER THAN THE SHIT COMING FROM YOUR MOUTH"

Unfortunately being Donald Sutherland as Mr. Bennet, all he does is facepalm and doesn't give a shit about his wife's schemes.

Last edited:

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Legion.

It was entertaining enough, but not great by any means. I laughed really hard when
the cook whipped a frying pan at the demonic old lady's face.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion

Man, that was just bad. :(

It was okay/FUCKING AWESOME up to the part where Asuka/Unit 02 gets torn up, but after that, just...blergh.

And I don't think I've ever hated any character in any anime I've ever watched more than I hated Shinji in this movie.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
The Men Who Stare at Goats

Didn't tell me anything about the US military's investigation into psychic operations that I didn't already know. And yes, remote viewing is 'real'. A former remote viewer for the US military has released A LOT of books about it.

Still, it was fun enough.
Legion.

It was entertaining enough, but not great by any means. I laughed really hard when
the cook whipped a frying pan at the demonic old lady's face.
:lol: Did you recognise Doug Jones (Abe Sapien in the Hellboy films) as the demonic ice-cream man?? XD

Lelouch

--Tamashi no Rufuran
AKA
Emiya Shirou, Oz Vessalius, LPod, Belldandy, L-Phone
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion

Man, that was just bad. :(

It was okay/FUCKING AWESOME up to the part where Asuka/Unit 02 gets torn up, but after that, just...blergh.

And I don't think I've ever hated any character in any anime I've ever watched more than I hated Shinji in this movie.

I suppose, Shinji could be hatable. :) But hey, you can't blame him. He's responsible for the third impact, SEELE's Plan wouldn't fail/succeed it wasn't for him. At the same time, Asuka rejected him, depression could be a reason too. LOL, But one thing that i like about Shinji? HE GOT TO KISS MISATO, EMOTIONALLY MADE OUT WITH ASUKA..AND GRABBED REI'S BOOBY. :awesome:

anyway, i suggest watching Rebuild of Evangelion :awesome:

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
:lol: Did you recognise Doug Jones (Abe Sapien in the Hellboy films) as the demonic ice-cream man?? XD

Omg, totally missed that. Awesome. XD

I suppose, Shinji could be hatable. :) But hey, you can't blame him. He's responsible for the third impact, SEELE's Plan wouldn't fail/succeed it wasn't for him. At the same time, Asuka rejected him, depression could be a reason too. LOL, But one thing that i like about Shinji? HE GOT TO KISS MISATO, EMOTIONALLY MADE OUT WITH ASUKA..AND GRABBED REI'S BOOBY. :awesome:

anyway, i suggest watching Rebuild of Evangelion :awesome:

It's not that I blame him for having issues. I get that he's manic depressive and he's been dealt a lot of bad hands and there's a ridiculous amount of pressure on him. It's just that he's absolutely useless for the entire fucking movie until the last five seconds, and he pretty much got Misato and Asuka killed (did Asuka die and then come back after being turned into soup, or was she just horribly maimed? Either way, Shinji fail). I think part of the problem is I watched it right after finishing the anime, and the last two episodes of that was also nothing but Shinji feeling sorry for himself. It was incredibly repetitive and totally killed all sympathy I held for his character after the first 24 eps.

He totally does have a harem thing going on though XD.

Is Rebuild the same thing as You Can (Not) Advance 2.22? I'm downloading that as we speak, the trailer looked fucking sweet and it's apparently less wangsty :awesome:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Is Rebuild the same thing as You Can (Not) Advance 2.22? I'm downloading that as we speak, the trailer looked fucking sweet and it's apparently less wangsty :awesome:
It's less wangsty :awesome:

'Rebuild' in the new series as a whole, You Can (Not) Advance is the second film (You Are (Not) Alone being the first). Get the ones with the highest number at the end (like 2.22) since those should have extra scenes added.

Ghost X

I saw Babel on TV last night. I think it was well-directed, and quite tragic, AND manages to stereotype the various cultures included all at the same time!

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
TRON (Not Legacy, but the first one).

I grew up watching this movie when I was a kid and always loved it, even when I had no idea what was going on :monster:

And I can't wait to watch TRON: Legacy.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
It's less wangsty :awesome:

'Rebuild' in the new series as a whole, You Can (Not) Advance is the second film (You Are (Not) Alone being the first). Get the ones with the highest number at the end (like 2.22) since those should have extra scenes added.

:monster: Awesome. Watched You Can (Not) Advance and it's so much better. Downloading Alone now.

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
Went and seen "Season of the witch" all I can say regarding it is "meh" the entire plot was lacking in every aspect. the only redeeming feature was seeing Robert Sheehan in it. I mean even watching big nick did nothing for the plot.
They had a genuinely good idea that they could have done soooo much more with, the entire cast for the film could have been 30 people for all you would know.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
saw perfect blue last night

i am honestly surprised aronofsky has not publicly said he was inspired by this when he directed black swan, there's a lot of common themes and motifs between both movies. i liked it a lot <3

Top Bottom