Emiya Shirou, Oz Vessalius, LPod, Belldandy, L-Phone
A Walk to Remember

..OMG *sniff* why am i into drama movies? ;D

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
saw perfect blue last night

i am honestly surprised aronofsky has not publicly said he was inspired by this when he directed black swan, there's a lot of common themes and motifs between both movies. i liked it a lot <3

Wait wait wait. Perfect blue? the animu that was psychologically messed up in all aspects about an actress who was being stalked and shit kind of Perfect Blue? :awesome: That inspired Black Swan?

SOLDEDED! I beat the intelligence bureau the black swan!

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
I recently saw Black Swan myself as well as Perfect Blue and man, both of them blew me away! Totally agree Aki, they are rather similar in many ways and both are just straight-up awesome in their own rights :joy:. I highly recommend both :D!

~ Raz

Jocalyn

Pro Adventurer
I just saw Despicable Me. So cute :). I love kids movies, it makes you think back to when the worst thing that could happen to you is when its too rainy outside to go out and play...

Jaqen H'ghar

A man knows.
AKA
Sully, Nine, Huntress, Relm Arrowny, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, Jon Snow, Spider-Woman, Jessica Drew, Cissnei
just finished Ferris Bueller's Day Off which was playing on VH1

<3

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

I liked it for the most part, although it could've been better. Stone does a good job showing just how compromised pretty much everyone in society is, although he's subtle about it. He's less subtle with his take about what ruined the economy, and the film is better off for it. Since he had help from luminaries like Nouriel Roubini, it's not surprising that he gets the flaws with our economy pretty much right, and he even (correctly) implies that the 2008 bailout was just a band-aid put over a massive wound. The actors (Douglas, Brolin, Mulligan and LeBeouf in particular) give excellent performances and some of the little touches in it are great as well (I smiled to see the reference to Matt Taibbi's Rolling Stone article about Goldman Sachs). It's not an earth-shattering film, but it is entertaining and it has some important stuff to say about modern society.

I still haven't seen the original. I should remedy that.

a couple of other reviews which contain other information people might find interesting

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Exit Through the Gift Shop.

It's a documentary about a guy doing a documentary about street art, lulz :monster:. It's actually a good watch, imo.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Tangled. Just as sweet as the time I saw it.

urvzh7oyn.png

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Inception

Allow me the moment to gloat; once they got to the bit about
time dilation in dreams, I knew the story was gonna go moebius and link back to the beginning

I've also got some technical problems with
how easily they entered the dream state - dreams only occur in REM sleep, which generally doesn't start until at least an hour has passed of sleep. Also, people under sedatation are usually asleep too deep to experience REM sleep.

Other than that, bloody good film. :D Does problems didn't distract from my enjoyment of the film (unlike Pitch Black - "that planet is far too close... the gravitational forces would be too great... is it meant to be a moon of the planet that's causing the eclipse? That would make sense, but...").

Lelouch

--Tamashi no Rufuran
AKA
Emiya Shirou, Oz Vessalius, LPod, Belldandy, L-Phone
Hachiko (A Dog's Story)

Seriously, guys, I suggest watching this (if you haven't). It made me cry, but I don't know why..it's even featured on
but in a more disgusting way, but yeah.
I salute the dog in the story.. IDK about the japanese worshiping it. :awesome:

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
Prince of persia: Okay took me a long time to get around to this but im glad I didn't rush to the cinema in order to see it. The shitty english actors/voices thrown into a persian market just annoyed me. The entire plot was...well shit.
Other than the fact they had a dagger that could rewind time I can't see how the hell they expected to try and tie it in with the games. Even the story behind the dagger was warped to the point of shit!

Elisa Maza

Whomst
So, I finally arsed myself to watch The Black Swan.

Boy, oh boy... isn't Nina's character relating with mine... I can so totally see where she's coming from; all the little girls who are the perfectionists, so afraid to grow up, to be sexually active... That was totally me in age 18, five years ago. Thank the Lord for University days...

At any rate, I enjoyed this film a lot. The acting was gripping, the rhythm fast, the music fitting. Long story short, it was exciting. Maybe some things ruined the revelation in the end,
Nina's obvious schizophrenia, when in the first 15 minutes, we see another her walking down the corridor, a darker version of herself already surfacing. "Yeah, okay," I said. "She's so totally not crazy, right? >_> " That was too much exposition, I believe. Even though I do have to admit, Lily not being real (or being real, but Nina projecting on her) was a twist I didn't see coming.

Generally, I can see why people are so gaga over it and why Portman is going for the Oscar.

Finally got around to watching Buried.

Woo!! How the fuck he made a movie that takes place entirely in a coffin yet was still suspenseful as hell, sad, exciting, and just overall awesome is beyond me.

God daymn.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
I had a decision to make Friday evening, after seeing what films the local cinemas were showing yesterday. I could see Tangled, Gulliver's Travels, Black Swan or The King's Speech.

I had to regretably discount Tangled - I'm starting to get self-conscious of the looks people give me as a grown man going to see kids films alone. I discounted Gulliver's Travels as I was only mildly curious about it. Which left Black Swan and The King's Speech, both of which had their bad points (namely, Black Swan is advertised in such a way that there's a good chance that a vocal enough proportion of the audience will be shouting for it to get to the lesbian sex scenes from the beginning; and The King's Speech is so hyped it could have a horrendously large crowd).

I settled on The King's Speech, deciding to leave Black Swan until DVD release. My fears about the crowd were baseless (at least for this screening). (I will admit to my decision being partly influenced by the realisation that I usually only go to the cinema for genre pieces, so I need to broaden my horizons.)

The King's Speech was brilliant. It managed to show the parents of the current queen as being human, first and foremost. All too often, any film about royals will be about intrigues at court (which The King's Speech does admittedly deliver, with the relationship between Edward/David and Mrs Wallace Spencer), or a propaganda piece about a current and/or malaigned figure. The King's Speech dealt with the stutter of George/'Bertie' (reigning name/christian nickname) with sincerety (including the matters that caused him to develop a stammer).

I did tear up once; when Albert/Bertie had just been made George VI (but a few days before the coronation), he went to see his daughters (currently, Elizabeth II and the Princess Margret). He held his arms out to hug them, and they both curtsied to him and said "your majesty". He looked heartbroken (the film states that he never wanted to be king in the first place, due to his stammer. Also, Elizabeth - the late Queen Mother - had turned down his proposals for marriage twice as she didn't want the public life of a royal).

I'm afraid I don't know/recall the name of the actor who played George VI, but his performance was excellent, as were the performances of Geoffry Rush as his speech therapist Lionel Loghue (sp?), and Helena Bonham-Carter as Elizabeth. I am definitely buying this film when it is released on DVD/BluRay.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
The Last Exorcism & Grown Ups.

The Last Exorcism wasn't scary, but it was really interesting up until towards the end, then shit just got plain stupid. .___.

Grown Ups had some cute chuckle worthy moments and I enjoyed it, not the best, but not the worst. Plus, it had Adam Sandler and David Spade. AMAGUUUUUUUUUH. &#9829; especially David Spade

Hisako

&#28040;&#12360;&#12394;&#12356;&#12402;&#12373;&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Akira was on SBS2 last night.

I did enjoy it a helluva lot. It's a very neat balance between pure spectacle and some heavy-hitting ideas about the human race. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the other media of Akira's story to make a comparison with, but there's a fantastic sense of scale and enormity to what goes on in the second half of the movie, and size and scale is usually something I don't really take notice of in anime these days.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
The King's Speech

Le sigh.

Functional, tedious in parts, well acted throughout but completely unremarkable. Typical Oscar bait and about as memorable as a box of breadsticks. Its always nice to see Colin Firth though.

It was good, but a little bland. Not nearly as memorable (or good) as some of the films released this year.

If this beats out The Social Network for the best picture oscar then I'm completely giving up hope that the Academy will ever recognise progressive film-making.

Hisako

AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
New Police Story (probably for an nth time).

Goddamnit Charlene Choi is so fucking cute

Hisako

AKA
On-board in-flight entertainment ain't that bad at all

The A-Team

Such ridiculous lolz all around, also I think it was that guy from District 9 playing the nutjob and putting that into perspective is the most hilarious thing ever (esp. when he starts speaking Swahili for no reason

The Expendables

Eh not one I'd watch a 2nd time, esp. when I'd seen it already

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

Actually a pretty good film, it has some epic moments. Freakin' birds fighting each other and they end up turning fight scenes into carefully choreographed fights, although some poor camerawork kinda blehs it out a bit.

EDIT: Of course it had to be done by Zack Snyder, what a muppet

Toy Story 3

I was hesitant about rewatching it again. I shouldn't have been.

Last edited:

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
I saw The Last Rite.
For some reason I keep watching movies about exorcism lately... xD But anyway, it was actually pretty good. It wasn't scary, but not like the last one I saw either. (It didn't have a shit ending either >_>) It's more about having faith, fighting your inner demons so... pretty cool.

Jaqen H'ghar

A man knows.
AKA
Sully, Nine, Huntress, Relm Arrowny, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, Jon Snow, Spider-Woman, Jessica Drew, Cissnei
Sunshine again

ugh that movie JUST UGH I LOVE IT SO MUCH turns me into a mess but I don't even care because it's so good and Cillian Murphy looks pretty while Chris Evans looks foine.

So, I finally arsed myself to watch The Black Swan.

Boy, oh boy... isn't Nina's character relating with mine... I can so totally see where she's coming from; all the little girls who are the perfectionists, so afraid to grow up, to be sexually active... That was totally me in age 18, five years ago. Thank the Lord for University days...

At any rate, I enjoyed this film a lot. The acting was gripping, the rhythm fast, the music fitting. Long story short, it was exciting. Maybe some things ruined the revelation in the end,
Nina's obvious schizophrenia, when in the first 15 minutes, we see another her walking down the corridor, a darker version of herself already surfacing. "Yeah, okay," I said. "She's so totally not crazy, right? >_> " That was too much exposition, I believe. Even though I do have to admit, Lily not being real (or being real, but Nina projecting on her) was a twist I didn't see coming.

Generally, I can see why people are so gaga over it and why Portman is going for the Oscar.
It wasn't really supposed to be a twist or anything more as it's about her journey through it. And Aronofsky's not exactly known for subtlety.

As you probly guessed I finally got to see Black Swan. I fuckin loved it.

Top Bottom