Last Film You've Seen

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
The Happening was on TV on Saturday night.

Really liked this film, thought the acting was top-notch. I find it hard to believe there wasn't someone behind the scenes smacking the actors over the head with a cricket bat before each scene to get that wonderful, slightly bemused and concussed look that so perfectly represents how people would react in that situation.

Also, thought the scientific explanation that the plants were killing us due to evolution, and it only lasted 24 hours as a warning, made perfekt sientifik sense, as did the fact that, even after the event, the main characters still kept plants in their house.

...It's wonderful to see a film so dreadful that parodying it makes you feel guilty. :D

Last edited:

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
The Happening was on TV on Saturday night.

Really liked this film, thought the acting was top-notch. I find it hard to believe there wasn't someone behind the scenes smacking the actors over the head with a cricket bat before each scene to get that wonderful, slightly bemused and concussed look that so perfectly represents how people would react in that situation.

Also, thought the scientific explanation that the plants were killing us due to evolution, and it only lasted 24 hours as a warning, made perfekt sientifik sense, as did the fact that, even after the event, the main characters still kept plants in their house.

...It's wonderful to see a film so dreadful that parodying it makes you feel guilty. :D
The Happening!

It has science on par with the Parasite Eve video game!

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Marvel Cinematic Universe marathon. Not a bad series altogether, considering its still just three films. :B

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Last night I watched Batman Begins for the first time. Loved it! <3

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
John Carpenter's "The Thing".

Great great movie. To this day I still have trouble watching a couple scenes.

Oh man I totally agree! That movie STILL creeps me out,
especially the dog kennel scene with the mutated alien absorbing the other dogs
*shudders* >_<. I actually hallucinated a few times after I saw it the first time.

Awesome movie to watch and rather disturbing.

~ Raz

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Coffee and Cigarettes

It's collection of short scenes, each having characters discussing various things while drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes. It's an independent film, but the cast has few well known personalities. Iggy Pop, Tom Waits, Cate Blanchett, Bill Murray , Alfred Molina, etc.

Loved it.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
Oh man I totally agree! That movie STILL creeps me out,
especially the dog kennel scene with the mutated alien absorbing the other dogs
*shudders* >_<. I actually hallucinated a few times after I saw it the first time.

Awesome movie to watch and rather disturbing.

~ Raz

The Thing is a great movie. One of the last great horror movies that DIDN'T use CGI, all the effects were real (well puppets/props/animatronics etc), but real physical things that existed.

Elisa Maza

Whomst
What? An adaptation of an anime in a live action Hollywood movie? *groans* Oh, not again! What? It's the Wachowski Brothers? Mmmmaybe. Cast from all over the world? Ooookay... Fine, let's see what this movie has to offer.

*after the movie*

GODDAMIT, that ROCKED.

speed_racer_movie_poster_new.jpg

As stated above, the history of anime adaptations into live action movies is a long and full of failures one. Dragon Ball: Evolution taught the anime fans the lesson to never trust Hollywood. And in many cases, it is a fair accusation of dishonor and disrespect of the original source.

However, the Wachowski brothers show us that yes, there is the way to respect the source and give the final product your own mark. It all has to do with vision and these two surely have it.

The plot is fairly simple and quite well-known to the fans of the anime series: Speed Racer (yes, that's his name) is a young race car driver, who is haunted by the past of his family. His idol and older brother, Rex Racer ended up being branded a dirty racer, destroying other racers' cars instead of competing them and died in one of the most dangerous races, leaving a bad name and a black spot in the history of racing. However, he also left an unbeatable world record, which Speed, although capable of surpassing it, never dares to do so. His talent draws in sponsors, but Speed always turns them down, since his family is well capable of providing him the car he needs. One sponsor, though, Royalton is more stubborn than the others and spits on Speed's ideas for racing, proclaiming that "all that matters is power and the unassailable might of money!&#8221; Speed, after being caught in a trap that momentarily excludes him from the Gran Pri, is determined to show him that winning fairly and squarely, with his family as a team is above anything.

This rather basic and cliche idea is narrated with talent, vision and a lot of humor and intelligence. The visuals are astounding, successfully giving the cartoon-ish atmosphere of the anime, but always enough down-to-earth to convince the audience that they are in this world. Colorful, flashy, shiny and polished, the environment will blow your mind away.

The pacing is also very good, with the exceedingly fast racing scenes mixing well with the dialog and more intimate scenes between the characters.

Which leads me to my next point: the characters. Fair enough, Emile Hirsch is bland and quite empty, but this is what Speed himself is: the typical shounen hero, with just a fighting spirit and some good looks to boot. But, we do not care much about him. Oh, no, the rest of the cast is damn enough to provoke emotions, make us sympathize with them and want them to either be happy or just fail, if they are the villains. John Goodman is a fitting Pops Racer, very convincing in his role. Roger Allam is another good choice. He pictures Royalton with the appropriate malice.

But, everyone pales before this guy.

snapshot20100418222537.jpg

Paulie Litt as Spritle is the God Almighty of this movie that no one can overthrow. It is rare to see a kid playing the kid so well. Even though he is the comic relief, he steals the attention and love of the audience without effort. The kid's a natural. His character is energetic, naughty, a little smoothie glutton with style and some of the best lines in the movie. Paulie can do it, because you know he has the talent and the emotional wealth to do it. He is Awesome, end of story.

The climax pays up for all the building up, serious bulding up, I must say. After all, how further you can get from having race cars running on one wheel and crushing in each other like plastic balls? Apparently, you can also make them riding mountains, jumping like grasshoppers and mimic hokey players. GOD, that movie was Awesome.

9/10 and I wish more people who want to adapt cartoon in live action movies would take notes from the Wachowski brothers. Show them the way!&#65279;

Last edited:

Glaurung

AKA
Mama Dragon
They were kinda annoying in the original, so if they are that way in the movie, it's a well done job.

By the way, thanks for the critique, Tea-chan, you picked my curiosity about this movie :D

ForceStealer

Double Growth
With some very minor exceptions, I wholeheartedly agree with everything Tea-chan said. That movie totally got a bad rap. A lot of it, I suspect, is because most critics had no idea of the source material and how well it stuck to that and color palette. The Mach 5 not being the main car was kind of interesting, but that race in the middle (don't remember the name) is definitely the best part (for me). Hearing that "chuck-chuck-chuck" noise of the jump jacks was enough for me, really :) Also, bonus points for the evil guy's truck looking like the Mammoth Car :monster:

I remember reading that the Wachowski Brothers didn't care that it didn't make money and were going to make another one anyway (having money's good like that, I guess), but I dunno if that's still the case.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
RED

Or, as I think of it, ESS - Elevated Scene Stealing. To wit, Bruce Willis dominates the beginning of the movie. However, John Malkovich turns up, and overshadows Bruce. Then Helen Mirren turns up and takes over.

Morgan Freeman, and the actors who play Cooper and Ivan are much more generous when they're on screen, though, and merely level themselves with the other actors.

Great, funny film, also shows how to mount a successful guerilla campaign. >:3

The only weak link for me was the character who was Frank Moses' love-interest. She seemed to be a cardboard cut-out. Whether this was due to the actress, or the script/direction, I don't know, but I was never really sold on her.

Lelouch

--Tamashi no Rufuran
AKA
Emiya Shirou, Oz Vessalius, LPod, Belldandy, L-Phone
Grave of the Fireflies

LOL, made me more depressed than ever. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. it's just sad T_T now I'm onto downloading The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and 5 Centimeters Per Second. AHAHAHA. Sad movies for me :awesome:

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
The A-Team

NOSTALGIA TRIP THEME
I loved it. It was totally ridiculous, over-the-top action from the very get-go and it didn't fuck it up by trying to take itself too seriously. Great movie to just sit back and enjoy.

Lelouch

--Tamashi no Rufuran
AKA
Movie Marathon eh~????

First watched Studio Ghibli: Whisper of the heart. Cute love story is cute :awesome: but kind of dull unlike the first two i watched. Then, re-watched Spirited Away. =/ Felt awkward since i first watched it in Japanese. Now, getting a new version of it- in Chinese language just messed my mind, since I still remember some japanese lines. . anyway, still all good~!!!!

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Demolition man -
Nostalgia at it's best. That and sandra bullock is fucking hot in that movie :P

This is possibly the definitive 'so bad that its good' movie. Pro shout.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Grave of the Fireflies

LOL, made me more depressed than ever. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. it's just sad T_T now I'm onto downloading The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and 5 Centimeters Per Second. AHAHAHA. Sad movies for me :awesome:
Personally, I don't think The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is that sad.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Tangled

Ah. So cute. I loved this movie from beginning to end. Most of the songs were cute, and those silly moments made for some good giggles. ^_^

Glaurung

AKA
Mama Dragon
"The Dark Knight"

Halfway through the movie I had to remind myself it was a Batman movie, instead of a Joker one. Heath Ledger knew how to steal the limelight.

Funny fanct: In the original version, Bale used an extremely husky voice (that sounded as if the poor man had pharyngitis). In the Spanish dub they used an effect that made him sound like he wore a voice-distorting device on his throat. Sounds better in Spanish. It also helps that Batman's voice actor also dubs Dean Winchester :awesome:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
"The Dark Knight"

Halfway through the movie I had to remind myself it was a Batman movie, instead of a Joker one. Heath Ledger knew how to steal the limelight.

Funny fanct: In the original version, Bale used an extremely husky voice (that sounded as if the poor man had pharyngitis). In the Spanish dub they used an effect that made him sound like he wore a voice-distorting device on his throat. Sounds better in Spanish. It also helps that Batman's voice actor also dubs Dean Winchester :awesome:

I... kinda want to go watch this movie is Spanish now....

X :neo:

Lelouch

--Tamashi no Rufuran
AKA
Personally, I don't think The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is that sad.

O.o just watched 5 Centimeters/S, i feel the same O.O

Anyway, now watching: Princess Mononoke. I can't believe this film is mostly hand-drawn O.O oh gawd, so much work~~ and spent US$23.5 million for this. FUUUUU, well, it's worth watching C:

Sheva Alomar

I'm Alive and on Fire
AKA
Adri, Sir Integra, Fiona, Sango
The Kids are All Right

Really impressed with this film. It's a nice view, a real view of a modern family. There's a lot to commend it on: raw emotion, family chemistry, etc. One aspect of the movie as a whole that really shined through was that EACH character had a solid story within the main plot and you REALLY got to know everyone. There was no specific focus on any one person so the film gives you room on who you like/side with the most overall and during the conflict that shows itself. Definitely worth at least one watch, regardless of what genres you are used to watching.

Top Bottom