Last Film You've Seen

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
That sounds just as fucking terrible as Bale.

You lied to me.

I never said it was perfect :sadpanda:

One can do so much while trying to be faithful to the source :awesome:. At least the voice distorter is a plausible excuse as why Batman sounds so weird in these movies. I prefer the explanation that "he's using a device so his voice sounds terrible" rather than "yes, that's his real voice, LOL!"

By the way, was it implied in any comic that Batman used something so people couldn't recognize his voice? Or did they just took for granted that readers would never think about it?

Midnight screening of Jurassic Park

Ohh it was awesome! First time I've seen it in a theatre (parents wouldnt let me see it when I was a kid) and there is nothing like hearing that t-rex roar in a theatre. Fuck yeah!

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Skyline

So if I were to take a shit, devour it, vomit it out, eat it again, and then shit it out the next day, it would still be more pleasant to smell than it would be to watch this movie again. Actually, the process of getting it to that point might be more fun than the movie.

Mariketsu

I Am the Darkness, I'm the Monster
AKA
Razael
Insidious

Okay so, I saw this movie today and I liked it a lot. Wasn't too scary tho one part did catch me off-guard a bit. The story was pretty sound and the buildup of suspense was done really well, so it was all mostly good.

The only problem I had with it was, the ending.
When it was revealed that the Creepy Old Lady spirit that was haunting Josh (the father) as a young boy, had hijacked his body when they came back, it just kinda killed it for me. Idk why, but I felt it was a cheap twist. It prolly would've been better had it been the demon that wanted Dalton's body, instead of her, but it just felt like they tried too hard to insert the Creepy Old Lady into it right at the very end.
So, other than that, it was a good watch. Btw, the part that creeped me out was
when the demon was shown growling behind Josh at the table.
Man it gave me shivers ><.

~ Raz

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I saw Hanna last night. I agree with io9's spoiler-filled review, for anyone that's seen the film. For those that haven't I'll summarize the main points.

Hanna is not a great film, but it is a very good one. Good acting, beautifully shot, and a grand soundtrack. A decent comparison would be that it's more like Children of Men is to other dystopian films in its content and film style. It doesn't get overly caught up in the elements that it could have made it seem more sci-fi, and instead it's all focused very much on Hanna's character and grounded in reality. It's not really an action flick, it's a character piece. There are some parts where it's a little slow, and some things might nag at you after the fact, but overall it's quite good. The serious parts and tension are managed very well, and the action sections are believable. I'd recommend checking it out.

X :neo:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Summer Wars

The main thing that got me interested in watching this was recognising the art style from Digimon: Our War Game, released in the West as the first (*cough*andbetter*cough*) half of Digimon: the Movie.

Thematically, the two films are fairly similar, at least in terms of the nature of the antagonist of the film.

I can't express how much I enjoyed this film, my only real complaint is
how the members of the family that came down hardest on Kenji when they thought he was responsible were the ones who dismissed taking down LoveMachine - the real threat - as just a game later in the film

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
Sybil 2006 and 1976 (or 1977).

The old one was better, and :sadpanda: poor Sybil.

Watched it cuz my sister was watching it, then I just rewatched the parts I missed. Great movie/s.

Lelouch

--Tamashi no Rufuran
AKA
Emiya Shirou, Oz Vessalius, LPod, Belldandy, L-Phone
Howl's Moving Castle

Fish, it's awesome. Character designs are good, body parts properly drawn. And storyline is awesome, thumbs up, like always, for Miyazaki. But i still prefer watching Spirited Away moar, tho. 9/10

Hisako

&#28040;&#12360;&#12394;&#12356;&#12402;&#12373;&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Howl's Moving Castle was the 2nd time I cried to a Japanese animation.

idk why, it wasn't even really that sad at the end
Maybe they were happy tears or something

Wasn't as sad as Voices of a Distant Star at the very least

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Summer Wars

The main thing that got me interested in watching this was recognising the art style from Digimon: Our War Game, released in the West as the first (*cough*andbetter*cough*) half of Digimon: the Movie.

Thematically, the two films are fairly similar, at least in terms of the nature of the antagonist of the film.

I can't express how much I enjoyed this film, my only real complaint is
how the members of the family that came down hardest on Kenji when they thought he was responsible were the ones who dismissed taking down LoveMachine - the real threat - as just a game later in the film
I was deeply moved in the end when their grandmother's avatar appeared and then Natsuki became SUPER GODDESS NATSUKI and kicked the love machine's ass

Hanna

Really good character driven action movie. My only real fault is the villains dont really stick with you, but then thats fine for what the movie's trying to do.

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
Tangled on DVD. :monster:

It was epic. :reptar: Now I can't wait for Source Code. Gonna be watching it on Tuesday. :awesome:

Citizen Kane

The first half or so of the movie I didn't quite know what I was watching or how I was supposed to feel about Charles Foster Kane's character, but when the story about his second marriage started I felt more firmly seated in the story.

I feel like I'm missing some important brilliance of this movie. The movie's reputation as one of the best movies of all time makes me as the viewer feel ignorant because I don't know enough about the art of filmmaking to understand what makes this movie so great. Is it something about the camera angles or the acting? The way the story is told through the people that knew Kane rather than Kane himself? I don't know. All I know is that I felt for Kane's character and that's why I liked the film.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I feel like I'm missing some important brilliance of this movie. The movie's reputation as one of the best movies of all time makes me as the viewer feel ignorant because I don't know enough about the art of filmmaking to understand what makes this movie so great. Is it something about the camera angles or the acting? The way the story is told through the people that knew Kane rather than Kane himself? I don't know. All I know is that I felt for Kane's character and that's why I liked the film.

The brilliance of Citizen Kane is really about the technical stuff.

I don't find the film itself necessarily enjoyable as I would movies I normally enjoy... but it's the sort of film you start appreciating more after learning more about how to construct a frame.

Elisa Maza

Whomst
Citizen Kane is all about cinematography and cinematic language. The mise-en-scene of this movie is flawless (maybe save for one scene). Its true value is that it established the cinematic language in the Hollywood as we see it today. The twist ending, the pans and fades, kinetics, angles, editing... nothing like these was in the movies much during that time. Keep in mind that other movies of that time were shot like theatre stages (think of Chaplin's work), while the camera eye in Kane moved, blacked and whited.

Up until today, its mise-en-scene continues to impress.

The above and how much Orson Welles and the production of Citizen Kane were hated by critics and co-workers alike. There is a lot of history behind the making of this movie.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Citizen Kane is really one of those films you need to watch multiple times in order to appreciate. There are all sorts of details that you won't notice the first time you watch it, even if you're familiar with the plot beforehand.

Beautiful Noise - 9/10

Indie film shown at the Sarasota Film Festival. Imagine that Bob Dylan, instead of returning to music after his motorcycle accident, simply disappeared from the public spotlight and stopped writing music. And imagine that instead of The Basement Tapes, his most recent work had been an introspective concept album that his record company refused to release. That's the basic summation of the back story to this film, although the obvious musical point of comparison for the character in question (named Bobby Drake in the film) is Neil Diamond, whom the actor playing him sounds exactly like. More than three decades later, a free-spirited young girl from L.A. comes across some of the demos Drake had recorded for his concept album and is struck by the sentiment that these are surefire hits if only someone would record them properly, so she sets out to find Drake and convince him to release them.

The director had actually wanted to use some of Diamond's songs for the film, but was unable to do so. It's probably for the best because the original songs the cast composed are actually superb. The plot is almost entirely predictable, but it doesn't really matter because it's a vehicle for presenting the songs anyway. Plus, most of the tropes used in this film appear so often because they're effective. The cinematography is gorgeous; there are some breathtaking shots of Sarasota in the film.

I'd recommend seeing it if you can do so. I don't know if it's been picked up by any distributors yet or not, but all six showings at the film festival were apparently at least close to being sold out so I wouldn't be surprised if that made it look attractive to movie studio execs. It's been compared to the film Once, which I think is pretty accurate, although this is more rock-oriented than that. Some of the songs are more classic rock-styled and some are more modern rock-styled, but they're all good. I'm ripping the soundtrack, which I considered good enough to drop $10 on, as we speak; at least one song appears on it that was not in the film, namely a cover of Joni Mitchell's "Free Man in Paris." I will probably upload it later; if anyone is interested, let me know.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Citizen Kane bored me to fucking tears. Its like the Beatles, I know how influential and important they are to the development of their particular media. But I just can't bring myself to enjoy either.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Scream 4

This film was actually a very pleasant surprise. I was expecting a "so bad it's good" sorta flick, but I was shocked to see how clever this movie actually is. Mind you, it's not a horror movie. It's a comedy first and foremost with a lot of classic horror elements. Can I just say it was absolutely hilarious? If I were to describe it in any way, Scream 4 is a satire of horror movie trends of the last 15-20 years.

It really played up the nostalgia too. Many of the sequences are taken directly from the first movie (which I haven't seen in more than 10 years). Not to mention growing up int he 90s, there are a lot of inside jokes that I think only that generation could really get.

Even though I consider it more a comedy than a horror, I wouldn't let that deter me from seeing this film. The murder scenes were also deliciously gratuitous in true 90's teen-slasher fashion. I also thought the identity of the killer was a bit of a shocker. Definitely worth a rental at least.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
TMNT: Turtles Forever

The Technodrome's interdimensional transporter goes haywire, bringing the 1980s cartoon Turtles (along with Shredder, Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady) into the world of the 2000s cartoon series.

And that's just the beginning of the story -
80s Shredder revives 00s Shredder - a really warped Krang-esque alien under its armour - who upgrades all the 80s tools to grim and gritty threats. The Footbots now look like robots, and wield katanas along with blasters. The Technodrome is now a hovering Death Star, the mutagen is used to create an army of feral mutants...

Oh yes. And Ch'rell (the 00s Shredder, referred to as "the One True Shredder" by himself and his followers) then learns about the full breadth of the multiverse and goes absolutely cuckoo. He decides to wipe out the original Turtle reality - the first issue of the original comic - which gets animated in full monochrome glory.

Absolute blast for anyone who watched the original Turtles cartoon (which got called Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles over here, as ninja was seen as a bad word that encouraged violence), but unfortunately, the original voice actors don't return, due to some crap at Nickelodeon.

Also, the more "zany" aspects of the original are exaggerated, to the point where 00s Raph says having the 80s counterparts around is "like having five Mikeys".

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
@Marcelline: So... it basically sounds like the first movie by your description. Which is good, in a way, cause the original was the only one I enjoyed even remotely. Gotta ask though, am I the only one annoyed by the fact that making a Scream 4 screws up the whole "concluding chapter of a trilogy" plot of the third (even if the third film did suck donkey ass imo)? Or is that acknowledged/lampshaded in some way?

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
^ It would make sense if it was lampooning the recent trend in Hollywood to start rebooting its popular franchises.

Top Bottom