Last Film You've Seen

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
That would fit very well with the tone of the first film. On the same note, looking at Scream 2 as a lampshade being hung on sequilitis almost makes it seem decent in my memory. Huh...

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
It absolutely was a lampshade hanging on sequel syndrome. Did the nearly 5 minute discussion in the middle of the film about whether or not any sequels managed to be better than their originals not give it away? Hell, all of Randy's dialogue in the film pointed towards this. It was so self aware that its eyes had turned inside out and back to front.

Lelouch

--Tamashi no Rufuran
AKA
Emiya Shirou, Oz Vessalius, LPod, Belldandy, L-Phone
Ponyo

~Another Studio Ghibli Film...
I actually enjoyed it. I thought it's as dull as My Neighbor Totoro (imo) but hey, not really :awesome:
Sasuke's mom, Lisa? is really hawt~! Looks exactly like San from Princess Mononoke, so i thought, WHAT A HAWT MAMA YOU HAVE THERE SASUKE. Anyway, animation is pretty good. Characters look the same with other films tho, but still okay. Storyline's pretty simple TAT kind of disappointing. But it's still fun to watch. . especially if you're curious xD overall 7/10.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Hanna

yeah i really loved it, not much else to say

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Hanna looks fucking ace.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Black Mage said:
@Marcelline: So... it basically sounds like the first movie by your description. Which is good, in a way, cause the original was the only one I enjoyed even remotely. Gotta ask though, am I the only one annoyed by the fact that making a Scream 4 screws up the whole "concluding chapter of a trilogy" plot of the third (even if the third film did suck donkey ass imo)? Or is that acknowledged/lampshaded in some way?

I'd say the first movie was more unintentionally funny. Scream 4 is an intentional comedy.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I thought Scream 1 was supposed to be a comedy-horror. The whole idea of killing off the biggest name actor in the first five minutes was a big "f you!" to the horror genre. At least that's how I remember it.

I just saw (500) Days of Summer and I hated it. Ugh. It managed to be hypocritical AND preachy.

I mean, it had good things about it (Joseph Gordon-Levitt being most of them). I really liked how it jumped around in time to show the symmetry of their story. I think about my life like that. But it was mostly pretentious.

As in: it operated under the pretense of being outside of mainstream romantic culture, all while reinforcing things like gender binaries and the concept of "the one." Everything about that movie was celebrating the consumer culture it was brazenly 'defying.' I can't stand movies that try to do something new, but pussy out because new isn't a safe dollar.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Hanna looks fucking ace.
Agreed. Saw the trailer a few days ago, and thought "ah, that's what everyone's talking about". As long as the local cinemas are showing it at a decent time, I'll be seeing it.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Skyline

IT'S THE WORST FUCKING MOVIE EVER OH MY GOD

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Hanna

Was like an action/character study crossed with a rave party. Excellent movie, sweet soundtrack.

Elisa Maza

Whomst
Since I've seen it too, I'd like to write an extended review about it. So...

Hanna-Movie-2011-Cover.jpg

Hanna is a 16-year-old girl, raised in the frozen isolation of the woods by her father, Erik to hunt, to attack and kill with no mercy. Her surroundings having no trace of modern civilization, Hanna has never been among people, has never listened to music and is constantly educated through encyclopedias about the definitions of the many things she doesn't know.

One day, her father digs out of the ground a way for Hanna to meet civilization: a transmitter, which will inform the secret services of America about their location. Her father gives her the freedom to push the button or not, telling her that if she wants to go to the outside world, she's free to go, but the world will come after her. Hanna, believing in her survival skills, presses the button and a chasing across Europe that will teach Hanna things she never considered and reveal the reason behind her bizarre upbringing begins.

Hanna is definitely a different kind of movie than many people expected. While the trailers and posters advertised it as a film with spinning action and strong lines, what the film itself offers is a little different. While there is action, it is hardly the typical Hollywood action flick type. None of the fights looks too choreographic, the realism is surprising and quite little in comparison to the rest of the film. You see, Hanna is first and foremost a character growth story, where the protagonist's Land of Oz-esque journey is plagued by the action the movie promised. Hanna herself is presented more like a curious doe-eyed creature from another world, excited to discover, to learn and be a part of the world with her father, rather than a merciless, maniac assassin, the latter being something the character wants to avoid at all costs. Hanna is never conveniently sexualized for the sake of the viewers, rather for the sake of the character and her development. Some people may call this movie "the anti-SuckerPunch" and not without reason: whatever SuckerPunch wanted to pass through a ton of teenage fanservice, which was its primary goal and offering, resulting in pretentiousness, Hanna just did it, with no fear and lots of professionalism when it comes to cinematography and writing.

Talking about Hanna, let's talk about the rest of the cast and the acting as well. Eric Bana as Erik, Hanna's father, despite his major role, he is in a few scenes and thus his character has little depth, which takes the film reaching to its end to appear. Kate Blanchett's character, Marissa is a little more interesting than Eric's, a villain that will stop to nothing to get to Hanna, even if it takes hiring a pedophile-slash-pimp-slash-assassin and kill families to do so. The rest of the characters are scarcely in the movie and worth of little attention. Both Eric and Kate shine far above, with solid, enjoying acting in this otherwise difficult movie that has to say much in a little time.

However, most praise goes to Saoirse Ronan as Hanna. After meeting her in The Lovely Bones, the teenage girl has proved her talent to the world. Admittedly, Hanna's amazement of the world is heavily given to Ronan's acting, and while she could have pictured the character as a stoic assassin, she manages to give across the unsettling co-existence of innocence and deadliness Hanna has. This young actress has a bright career ahead of her, promising demanding roles, something so very rare in young actors of Hollywood these days.

On the technical side of things, Hanna is beautiful. Honestly, I don't think there is any other word to describe it. Well-shot and atmospheric, the movie can go from the cold colours of the forest and the prison facilities to the warm ones of Maroco and Spain easily, picturing the contrast that exists in Hanna as a character as well. The soundtrack gives the action scenes another dimension, with the electronic, rave tracks of The Chemical Brothers haunting them as something nightmarish coming from the civilization towards innocent, deadly Hanna.

However, no movie is without flaws and Hanna is no exception. While the reason behind Hanna's lifestyle is explained, very few are known about the motives of the other two major characters. I was left with a blank about where Marissa's mania to catch Hanna at all costs came from. While some scenes betray her psychological issues, a sold reason is never shown. What exactly did she want from Hanna? Eric's character is a little simpler, a tale of someone who had twinges of consciousness and tried to fix what could not be fixed through extreme methods, his own thinking about choosing said methods is left outside as well. Some more elaboration would have made these two characters more solid and real. It looks like the emphasis on Hanna's characters threw the others a little out of balance.

Nonetheless and to close this review, Hanna is a very good film, worthy of your money and worthy to be talked about after it's over, for its characters.

8.5/10

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
However, no movie is without flaws and Hanna is no exception. While the reason behind Hanna's lifestyle is explained, very few are known about the motives of the other two major characters. I was left with a blank about where Marissa's mania to catch Hanna at all costs came from. While some scenes betray her psychological issues, a sold reason is never shown. What exactly did she want from Hanna? Eric's character is a little simpler, a tale of someone who had twinges of consciousness and tried to fix what could not be fixed through extreme methods, his own thinking about choosing said methods is left outside as well. Some more elaboration would have made these two characters more solid and real. It looks like the emphasis on Hanna's characters threw the others a little out of balance.
The general feeling I got from the movie was that all the other children who had been experimented on were killed, with the implication that Hanna was the only one who hadn't been. SO also came up with the theory that Marissa had used her own egg to make Hanna and Hanna's mother had acted as a surrogate, just because of the general pseudo-love-hate relationship she has with Hanna. So I always thought it was a combination of her own neurosis and the fact Hanna may have been her only child. (since she never explicitly says 'I have no children' when the grandmother asks, just the cryptic 'I made certain decisions')

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I went out on Thursday to rent a few movies, but I only watched half of them becaue Wall Street and The Messenger weren't really something I was in the mood to watch =P

I watched Tron: Legacy first, because I'd been planning to see it at quite some time and it actually came out on DVD rental the day before.

The movie is immense. It's not the most scintillating motion picture of its year, but it's a blast from start to finish. It's a visual splendor with a thundering soundtrack and some high-quality acting, and while the plot is labyrinthine and ridiculous it's great to sit back and switch some of the higher brain functions off and just enjoy its creativity.

The creativity, I think, is what makes Legacy such an enjoyable movie. It's encrusted with little stabs at technology and the visualization of digital things, with small jokes thrown in here and there through character banter. It doesn't ever seem like it's trying to be funny when it is, and even the robotic-looking characters have the excuse of being digital creations. :monster:

Jeff Bridges is half of what makes the performances in this film superb. Both as the young and old versions, C.L.U etc. he's top-class when it comes to diving into a character. He does bring a sort of messianic act to Kevin Flynn, but at the same time his little (forgive my ignorance) hippie quirks like "touching the sky" and his turns of phrase with "dude" and "man" mean that he doesn't feel like some omniscient Creator - rather, he has this aura of some child who stumbled across a Lego set he'd never seen before.
Garrett Hedlund doesn't necessarily stand out from the crowd when it comes to his performance, but with the material he's given it seems to come out pretty naturally and it works in his favour.
I was actually fairly skeptical about Olivia Wilde's significance in this movie, but the way the plot works out, she does a a character type I've never really seen her do. Quorra comes off as wide-eyed and excited, curious about everything that isn't The Grid, but at the same time is fairly emotionally grounded rather than the typical sci-fi girl-warrior, and it's something fresh, to say the least.
Michael Sheen (I had to see the credits to realise that it was Michael Sheen) does this hilarious David Bowie-like performance as a club owner, and he steals the majority of the scenes he's in for the pure batshit craziness.

The thing that struck me about Legacy was how... visceral the fighting was. It's an incredibly in-your-face sort of violence while still being relatively bloodless (There's one instance of blood in the entire movie and it's not even half a pint.). People are being sliced up into bits, thrown into huge whirling fan blades, dismembered, decapitated, and run over by bikes into digital giblets.
In one instance some guy flying some jet thing gets shot in the face during the aerial combat sequence, and the camera lingers on the glory of a neat six-inch hole doughnutting his head. If it was blood, rather than pixels, this movie could probably net an R18+ rating. Some of the hand-to-hand combat with the disc wars and the batons didn't feel particularly inspired, but it's largely irrelevant when there are flying planes and lethal light cycles and programs throwing frisbees of death that cut easier than a lightsaber.

Daft Punk, of course, was a huge selling point of this movie, and it's pretty obvious that they made good on their claims. The general sound direction of Tron: Legacy is a great facet and really complements the bim-bam-smash pacing of the film. It's the regular synth-plus-orchestra-on-the-side, but unlike some other soundtracks of similar style, Daft Punk seems to recognise what balances need to be made. Some tracks use heavy synth drums that really bring out a hard rhythm in the action, while there are one or two orchestral string-heavy pieces with titles like "Nocturne" that are surprisingly moody without being overtly melodramatic and vapid.

The plot isn't one to be overtly analysed. That would probably make head explosions, because if anyone were to base Tron: Legacy on scientific validity it'd have legs of sand. It has the typical diving into the digital unknown that is standard sci-fi fare, a benevolent mastermind gone renegade, discussion about idealistic perfection, and assorted things about "evolution" and other mumbo-jumbo that a dozen other movies would probably have covered in far better detail. But because most of it is stuff that we've seen before, it's safe, it's secure, and we can adequately suspend our disbelief while we feast on some of the best visual, sound and character design of this age.

Would I watch it again? Probably only once again. The pacing is break-neck speed, and I'd probably need to take some notes to get a handle on what's happened bit-by-bit. Kevin tucks his son into bed, tells him a story about The Grid, a timeskip happens, Kevin's disappeared and Sam loafs around and sabotages his company's schemes for a living, Sam then discovers the Grid for himself and gets thrown into things way over his head, eventually Sam and Kevin reunite and plot to get the hell out while Kevin's digital doppelganger also plots to get the hell out with his own private digital army so that they can take over the physical world. Yeah, and a whole load of sequences of elaborate characterisation, action and discussion happen in between. Quorra is hot. Mhmm.
By the end of it, I'd gotten the gist of what happened, but not with a solid understanding of the actual events. Still, it's a blast to watch, and well worth more than a rental imo.

My other DVD I watched, on the complete opposite end of the spectrum! The Other Guys. Now, I didn't exactly go into this expecting very much. To me, Will Ferrell is hit-and-miss, with barely more hits than misses. Mark Wahlberg, probably doing his standard tough-guy role. Samuel L. doing his Samuel L. routine, swearing like there's no motherfucking tomorrow, and The Rock doing his The Rock routine except thankfully the last two don't really do it for very long. Because, you get what you pay for, you get to see The Other Guys in action. :monster:

I came out of it really, really, pleasantly surprised by how funny the whole thing turned out to be. I'd probably rank it behind some big-name buddy cop movies (Lethal Weapons, Rush Hours, etc.) and probably behind Hot Fuzz as a parody, but it's still pretty solid. It doesn't change the fact that the lead actors (except for probably Eva Mendes and Marky Mark) have been typecast into a nutshell, but there's enough self-awareness about it that they throw in a few surprises into the mix.

I also have to applaud the way they deal with the two "heroes" that form the seemingly untouchable protagonists. Watching it with my father, he was suckered into believing that they were going to be around for the entire movie, and 10 minutes in he asked "so what is that supposed to mean?" Well, I cracked up at that point. He also cracked up even when I had to explain it to him. It's a great punchline.

The real buddies in the buddy-cop movie are pretty much just plain antagonistic for the majority of the film. Terry Hoitz initally seems to be Mark Wahlberg's tough-guy scheme, but McKay plays it up by using Allen Gamble as a finely honed counterpoint, meeting his chest-beating hostility with roundabout oratory that both confuses and irritates Hoitz. It turns to gold, however, when Allen Gamble reveals a secret past life (and his inexplicable attractiveness to women) that makes Hoitz much more wary and sometimes downright fearful of his innocuous paper-shuffling, pen-pushing partner.
While they still hold a familiar dynamic, the complexities to the relationship by the end of the film make it a hilarious thing to watch unfold. Michael Keaton plays a hilarious character in the station's captain, who is constantly exasperated by the bullshit that happens in his department. Eva Mendes plays a subservient sexed-up housewife to Allen Gamble, a duo that looks hilarious from any angle and they (nearly) play it straight with riotous results. Unfortunately, Steve Coogan probably comes out with the weakest role in the movie, as the flustered billionaire investor who is constantly being kidnapped, and is constantly bribing the cops. It's a role we should probably be appreciating, but compared to a lot of the other parodies in the movie it doesn't seem as significant.

There is some substance to the plot, but it isn't as exciting as it tries to be. There's stuff about TARP and the Fonzi Scheme, but in the end The Other Guys is too focused on maintaining a balance between parody and homage to the buddy-cop genre, to make any meaningful commentary on either subject.

Nonetheless, it's a great comedy and one of the better buddy-cop movies. Definitely worth a rental and probably two sittings.

Last edited:

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Some people may call this movie "the anti-SuckerPunch" and not without reason: whatever SuckerPunch wanted to pass through a ton of teenage fanservice, which was its primary goal and offering, resulting in pretentiousness
tumblr_lagke7UAcA1qzjix8.gif

I was left with a blank about where Marissa's mania to catch Hanna at all costs came from. While some scenes betray her psychological issues, a sold reason is never shown. What exactly did she want from Hanna?
I figured Marissa wanted to catch Hanna because Hanna was the last evidence of the illegal gene-therapy experiments she had been in charge of all those years ago. On top of that, Marissa clearly has some mothering issues of some sort, and while I don't think she was actually Hanna's mother I think she did see herself in that sort of way, as she had no doubt overseen all of Hanna's first few years of childhood and been responsible for Hanna's 'enhancements'. It just made her all the more obsessed about catching her.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Forbidden Planet. It's often considered the first sci-fi film and it shows in some ways; the effects are pretty primitive. However, it shows in other, better ways as well; just about every sci-fi series or film from the 60s and 70s ripped this film off. I won't say too much about the plot, but it's definitely rewarding and still holds up pretty well today. It's also interesting to see Leslie Nielsen in a serious rôle.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
Forbidden Planet. It's often considered the first sci-fi film and it shows in some ways; the effects are pretty primitive. However, it shows in other, better ways as well; just about every sci-fi series or film from the 60s and 70s ripped this film off. I won't say too much about the plot, but it's definitely rewarding and still holds up pretty well today. It's also interesting to see Leslie Nielsen in a serious rôle.

I have Forbidden Planet on DVD, is frickin' brilliant. :awesome:

You say the effects are primitive, yes then are, but they don't look it. The effects blend in well with the rest of the film, you are never thinking "ohh that's a cheap special effect, it really a stands out". It does still hold up well.

AKA
L, Castiel, Scotty Mc Dickerson
The Time Machine.

Depite Guy Pearce looking like he is infact a shaved monkey I really love this film. It's cheesy and a weird spin on the H.G Wells classic but altogether satisfying to watch, I like the subtle tweeks they do when visiting the future for the first time. Showing that clothing styles have changed and technology has indeed advanced but it still feels believable. Even using Orlando Jones as the AI was brilliant, then again I really like the actor.

Elisa Maza

Whomst

Your opinion. Mine is that SP was of the most pretentious story I've seen in a long time. Agree to disagree. :monster:

I figured Marissa wanted to catch Hanna because Hanna was the last evidence of the illegal gene-therapy experiments she had been in charge of all those years ago. On top of that, Marissa clearly has some mothering issues of some sort, and while I don't think she was actually Hanna's mother I think she did see herself in that sort of way, as she had no doubt overseen all of Hanna's first few years of childhood and been responsible for Hanna's 'enhancements'. It just made her all the more obsessed about catching her.

The general feeling I got from the movie was that all the other children who had been experimented on were killed, with the implication that Hanna was the only one who hadn't been. SO also came up with the theory that Marissa had used her own egg to make Hanna and Hanna's mother had acted as a surrogate, just because of the general pseudo-love-hate relationship she has with Hanna. So I always thought it was a combination of her own neurosis and the fact Hanna may have been her only child. (since she never explicitly says 'I have no children' when the grandmother asks, just the cryptic 'I made certain decisions')

Although these theories did enter my mind, I cannot help but realize that they are just assumptions. When Marissa answers to grandma "Hanna looks like her mother" and as a result she has shot the picture of grandma's daughter (name escapes me), I thought that she felt jealousy that she had a kid and not her. Then, in the last scene where she comes out of the wolf's mouth, that thought entered my mind, but there is zero evidence.

A scene that might explain Marissa's mania is the one where she brushes her teeth so much that she bleeds. That scene gave me the impression that Marissa is a perfectionist to the point of madness: she's capable of hurting herself (as she was hurting her whole career) to achieve a goal: white teeth/catching Hanna. And while the scale of importance lowers (white teeth is lower than catching Hanna, of course), the mentality is the same.

I guess there's no real explanation for this.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Your opinion. Mine is that SP was of the most pretentious story

I wouldn't talk about anything being pretentious after that review hun :monster:.

Whatever sucker punch is, it's not pretentious. It just overreaches badly. It's a disjointed conglomeration of ideas and themes that are ultimately handled pretty poorly.

Why anyone would compare an obvious character study like Hanna to a film like Sucker punch is a bit beyond me though.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I have Forbidden Planet on DVD, is frickin' brilliant. :awesome:

You say the effects are primitive, yes then are, but they don't look it. The effects blend in well with the rest of the film, you are never thinking "ohh that's a cheap special effect, it really a stands out". It does still hold up well.

They're certainly not horrible effects, but they're definitely of their time. For their era they're actually quite impressive, but it's still pretty obvious that it's an old film. But yeah, great film.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Your opinion. Mine is that SP was of the most pretentious story I've seen in a long time. Agree to disagree.
I can't help but feel 'pretentious' is entirely the wrong word you've chosen to describe sucker punch. It's a lot of things, but pretentious ain't one of them. It never chooses to get all high and mighty with its fanservice.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Splice

Seriously. This was a pretty good movie that really makes you consider psychology equally as much as science. That is until
HE HAD SEX WITH THE HUMANOID EXPERIMENT. OH AND THEN THE EXPERIMENT CHANGES GENDERS AND RAPES THE GIRL. SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN TO EXPLAIN HOW THIS DISTURBS ME ON SO MANY LEVELS.

This movie was made terrible just by that. And now I'm traumatized.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Splice

Seriously. This was a pretty good movie that really makes you consider psychology equally as much as science. That is until
HE HAD SEX WITH THE HUMANOID EXPERIMENT. OH AND THEN THE EXPERIMENT CHANGES GENDERS AND RAPES THE GIRL. SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN TO EXPLAIN HOW THIS DISTURBS ME ON SO MANY LEVELS.

This movie was made terrible just by that. And now I'm traumatized.
lol splice is like /d/ the movie.
it has monster sex, genderswap, impregnation, guro, and some sort of weird futa things. all it needs left is more giant ladies and it's practically perfect.

Top Bottom