Last Film You've Seen

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Definitely Maybe was a movie I willfully watched by myself and thoroughly enjoyed. If that makes me a ho-mo-sexual, then I'll see you in hell.

Ite

AKA
Ite
The Butterfly Effect

...plotholes abound! :reptar:

Nothing infuriates me more than when people use Time Travel but don't get it right. I mean, I know Butterfly Effect was an exploration on sanity and repressed issues, but so was Twelve Monkeys and that movie was at least coherent. Don't they know that the time travel demographic is made of nerds?

Being said, I didn't mind Butterfly Effect overall but I had to turn my brain off to forgive time travel goofiness.

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
Nothing infuriates me more than when people use Time Travel but don't get it right. I mean, I know Butterfly Effect was an exploration on sanity and repressed issues, but so was Twelve Monkeys and that movie was at least coherent. Don't they know that the time travel demographic is made of nerds?

Being said, I didn't mind Butterfly Effect overall but I had to turn my brain off to forgive time travel goofiness.

Thank you, for the second time. :monster:

I mean, seriously. I was hoping that it'd be something hugely epic, that I'd be thinking about it for days and just gushing with amazement every time I recall it (Inception)... but all I can think of is how silly it was. Some parts were cool like... the cool parts that I can't recall at the moment. I wish Ashton Kutcher acted a bit a better. Or something.

The biggest plothole I've seen in this movie was when
whatshisfacemaincharacter was in prison, and needed the help of his prisonmate--he travels back in time when he was drawing, and stabs his hands at those pointy paper stabby thingies. And then he goes back to the same place, to the same instance, and the only difference are his scars which apparently just suddenly appears out of nowhere.

The premise of the movie was that any small change he does in the past will affect the future. Piercing his hands is not just a small change, but a big change. He shouldn't have been able to write on his journal for a while, or do anything at all in the coming days. Coupled with the drawing he did, he would have to be interviewed by the psychiatrist, had tests ran on him, which could ultimately lead to him not being in the stupid Robin Hood film of Kayleigh's dad or somesuch. Which... should really actually end in him not even being the prison. So... wat.

Also, why are there such dangerous things just lying around in a nursery/kindergarten/school-whatever? It's dangerous for kids! Jeez. ._.

/rant

I like the song at the end though. "Stop Crying Your Heart Out" by Oasis :monster:

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
Sorry for the double post but...

I just saw Shutter Island. :monster: And wow. It was awesome. I've figured out the twist around the middle of the film, but it was more like a skeptic guess... something like "Oh I think I know how this ends... but maybe I'm wrong" ...I like it when films do mind-games with me.

The thing I noticed most is the similarity of DiCaprio's acting in this film and Inception. Also the circumstances... can't get over his wife, visions of children. But whatevs. It was pretty epic.

I RECOMMEND. :reptar:

Ite

AKA
Ite
I thought the same thing when I was watching Inception. Loved Shutter Island!

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Speaking of Inception, just watched it.

Fuck damn that movie's good.

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
Finally watched 127 Hours.

And it was underwhelming.
Franco was good, but I felt there was no real insight into his character. To successfully pull off a film liek this you need a real connection with the audience, and I don't think I got that.

Intellectually, I understand Franco's character is a man who has been alone for most of his life, not only presently, trapped as he is under a rock, but the flashbacks and dreams were too underdeveloped to really have the effect they were going for. They lacked emotional impact and it felt more like I was simply supplied with information. They were a series of distractions added in between in order to break the visual monotony of rock/man/earth's buttcrack.

Sure the distractions were stunning, but in the end they didn't amount to much. Meh.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
White Noise: The Light

Rewatched with my mum. Nathan Fillion is awesome, need I say more? :awesome:

However, we both agreed that
the ambulance driver at the end oughtta lose his job, cos he was paying ZERO attention to the road

==​

Legion

"I asked my mother, 'why was God so angry with His children?' She said, 'I dunno, honey. I guess he got tired of all the bullshit'."

As you may have guessed from the above quote, this is currently the closest thing to a Shin Megami Tensei film the world's seen. If you like the aforementioned game series, check this out. It's not as philosophical about things as the MegaTen games, though, so it's probably better to watch it without your brain fully engaged. XD

Although, rewatching it after reading a WMG on TVTropes that
"Michael" is actually Lucifer, and the baby is the Anti-Christ
does make the whole thing a bit "holy shit" (no pun intended).

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Brotherhood of the Wolf

I'm not sure whether or not its a tragedy that the second best werewolf movie I've ever seen doesn't have a werewolf in it. Does that stop it from being awesome? No, I can't say that it does. Does it stop it from very definitely being a werewolf movie? Not one bit. The intrigue, suspicion, huge monster rampage scenes and tense atmosphere are all lifted straight out of any classic from the genre (except American Werewolf in Paris, because fuck that noise).

I'm actually pretty gobsmacked by this movie's sheer balls. It crams so much into its considerable running time that it actually makes me want to go back and look more critically at some of the more bland and thinly plotted movies sitting on my shelf. Here is a film that manages to mix pre-Revolutionary French aristocratic intrigue, romance and politics alongside absolutely ludicrous kung fu action scenes and a big silly werewolf and still have the skill to make these radical shifts in genre seem natural.

It revels in excess of every kind (very French), from the elaborate period costumes to the breadth of issues that it manages to comment on. Everything from religion to racism is addressed in this movie, and whilst this kind of scatterbrained focus does get grating sometimes you have to admire the sheer balls of the idea.

If I had one complaint it would be the length and density of the subject matter and all the topics it wants to comment on. Sometimes a narrower focus can be a good thing, afterall. Instead it can feel overblown and definitely overlong. This isn't a short movie, and although it never feels boring, it does drag its feet a bit towards the end and I personally never got a sense that it was an epic in the way that the film was trying to present itself as. But is it worth a watch? Oh hell yes it is. There is literally something for everyone to like here. The period intrigue is well acted, the characters are relatively interesting, the kung fu is as fucking cool as hell, the werewolf is pretty damn crazy and Monica Bellucci is cast as an Italian prostitute. Something for everyone, indeed.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
No, Legion was an overused idea that's been done better elsewhere.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Brotherhood of the Wolf was awesome. Saw it when it first came out. I was thirteen at the time and after seeing it I thought Monica was the most beautiful creature walking the earth. Good times.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Jackass 3D

All I can say is, there are bits where it was mindless entertainment filled with brutal and near painful punches. What's the kicker is that these guys actually enjoy every moment of it as expected of the crew. Nothing to say much here other than the various random and over the top disgusting events they plotted and executed perfectly. Some bits were funny and some were outright disgusting, but all in all it was entertaining and ages well.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Thor. This film was kind of weak. Had a few good moments but ultimately fails as a thor film for me.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
I too felt that the thor film was lacking. Maybe I needed to watch it more, but ultimately, it needed a second viewing for everything to stick compared to one hitters like Incredible Hulk and the Iron Man series. I'm having higher hopes for Captain america for a Marvel movie clincher. Let's hope Thor does well for Avengers and his sequels.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
The first Hulk movie was much better than the Incredible Hulk. imho

OOoooOoOoOoOoOoOoO CONTROVERSIAL

I'm going to go see Thor later this week probably. Will give you my opinions then.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
I liked both Hulks and Fantastic Four for Dr. Doom. shame they couldn't continue ; v ;

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
You liked the Fantastic Four movies?

We aren't friends anymore.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Like I said, I don't get the fucking pointless race changes. Hogun( AND BEARDLESS) is suddenly asian and Heimdall is black in a army of white gods. It's like they just HAD to fill a minority quota.

Also, where the fuck was Balder? Thor completely lacks the nobility and honor the character has in the comics, and his origin story of going from arrogant selfish just to noble caring selfless hero is completely unbelievable and not fleshed out at all. The story they based this film off of, was clearly gimped in the transition.

Did anyone else feel like it was 2 different movies mashed together? The Asgard stuff was so foreign to Earth stuff in both plot and feel it just didnt work.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Did anyone else feel like it was 2 different movies mashed together? The Asgard stuff was so foreign to Earth stuff in both plot and feel it just didnt work.

There's supposed to be a huge disconnect between Earth and Asgard, they just did it very poorly.

They never really establish a proper link between worlds until late in the film.

I know theres supposed to be a disconnect, but it didnt feel grander, or more important, or anything. It felt like I was watching 2 movies and it was weird when Thor and his buds were in their Asgard garb on earth.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I know theres supposed to be a disconnect, but it didnt feel grander, or more important, or anything. It felt like I was watching 2 movies and it was weird when Thor and his buds were in their Asgard garb on earth.

Did I not just state that it was badly done?

Top Bottom