Last Film You've Seen

Shakarian

dem titans
AKA
Palumpolum, Jack the Ripper, Colonel AI, laurash65, Re-L Mayer
Amazing Spider-Man.

This is the only other movie in the Spider-Man franchise I've watched apart from SM3; I enjoyed it a lot, had some pretty neat effects. If you're looking for a popcorn movie, I'd recommend this one. :monster:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Melancholia

Well, given my state of mind lately this was an unbelievably shitty idea.

Great score and undoubtedly the best performance of Kirsten Dunst's career. So there's that. Much more clever and much less distressing than Von Trier's previous work. :(

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter, and about half of Crash and Burn before getting distracted.

First one is an over the top spectacle of Abe killing vampires, involving a final climactic fight on the train ride to Gettysburg. Stupidly awesome. Go see it in the dollar theater when it hits, or grab it on DVD.

Crash and Burn is low budget 'pick em off one at a time' flick set in the future where the killer definitely has to be someone in the viscinity, but also, they're a robot. Cheesy and clunky at times, but fun.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Blues Brothers

Why have I not watched this movie before?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Avatar...the James Cameron Smurfs/Fern Gully/Pocahantas crossover.

God that film was too damn long. And although it was very pretty I just felt like 'ok when do I press start to skip this cutscene?' And I didn't really give much of a shit about what happened or any of the characters which is pretty bad in any storytelling medium innit?

There was some interesting ideas though.

Charles Xavier

Pro Adventurer
A quick rundown of a few movies I've watched recently:

The Dark Knight Rises (4/5)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (3.5/5)
The Devil Inside (2.5/5)
Ice Age: Continental Drift (3.5/5)

Now for the last movie I saw:

The_Flowers_of_War_english_poster.jpg

After dealing with Two-Face and the Joker, Batman is sent back in time to war torn Nanjing to protect Chinese catholic school girls and prostitutes from the threatening Japanese. There, he kicks ass against perverted rapist soldiers, thwarts the entire invasion and sends the troops sailing back home in fear, telling them all: "I'm Batmaaaaan!"

The End.

Okay, just kidding, Bale doesn't suit up as Batman here. His performance is top notch in his role an American mortician who ends up having to protect survivors of the Nanjing invasion from the Japanese. Zhang Yimou draws inspiration from 'Saving Private Ryan' and 'The Pianist' in this shocking and tragic war drama film. It's definitely not the faint hearted, but one hell of a great movie.

Rating 4.5/5

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Dark Knight Does Something. Okay to spend time, but it's not very good imho; lots of outstretched sentimental BS, underwhelming action scenes, underwhelming and kinda bland bad guy, etc. But then, I guess they'll never be able to get to the insanity of the Joker again.

Charles Xavier

Pro Adventurer
%C5%8Ckami_Kodomo_no_Ame_to_Yuki_poster.jpg

From the man who brought you 'Summer Wars' and 'The Girl Who Leapt Through Time', here comes 'Okami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki', translated as 'The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki'.

Simplistic story about young girl Hana who falls in love with a guy in college who turns out to be a wolf man. The two bear children together (don't ask about the sex scene), who seem fine at first, but have apparently inherited their father's ability to transform into wolves. When the father dies, Hana moves out into the countryside from her stressful urban life and tries to find trust and acceptance amongst the townsfolk (including a Japanese Clint Eastwood-esque old crank who seems 'kind' enough to help the family grow some crops). Meanwhile, the kids adapt to their new home but struggle to keep their secrets from the rest of the world.

Quite possibly Hosoda's best movie to date. Rich mix of humor and family drama (which Hosoda's damn good doing), and despite the fantasy premise, the story's rich in emotion and the characters are more than believable. However, like a lot of anime movies, it seems to suffer a little from overlength-iness.

I didn't like the subplot about Yuki and the new student she meets in her high school class. Also, I didn't think Ame's decision to live the rest of his life as a wolf and leave the family during the film's climax was very well justified.

Wonderful movie that's definitely one of a kind. Go see it.

Rating: 4.5/5.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Just saw the new Total Recall.

Loved it. The film is solid and really well put together. It's got some excellent nods to the original one, and I have no complaints about it. It's definitely worth seeing.

X :neo:

Rapunzel

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jibrille
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days

I don't know why, but I really like these movies. xD I thought it was hilarious, and really fun and light hearted. I really needed to see a movie like that last night. :3

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Bourne Legacy Interesting tie in to the previous film trilogy. Some good action, (although not quite as much of Aaron Cross just being a flat-out badass like Jason Bourne), a good score, and overall I'm curious to see how they plan on connecting the dots if they continue on with this arc.

Carlos

I care not
AKA
That brown guy
Total Recall. I was impressed. Obviously being much newer it was much flashier than the original.

My only complaint, the lady with 3 tits could have been abit bustier.

Lex

Administrator
"In Time". The piece of shit with Justin Timberlake in it. OK it didn't make me want to kill myself but it was completely forgettable and I'm massively disappointed.

I mean, what a cool concept gone to absolute waste. It was meh from start to finish, and Dakota Fanning Amanda Seyfried's character was absolutely paper thin which is another disappointment because SHE'S BETTER THAN THAT. /rant

Last edited:

AvecAloes

Donator
"Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows". I enjoyed it. Witty, the action sequences are just cool (can I just say how much I loved the side of face cam view they had running through the woods?), maybe kinda predictable at times, but fun. I thought the pacing was good, the story was good, the action was good, the eye candy was good...yup.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Prince Lex said:
Dakota Fanning's character was absolutely paper thin which is another disappointment because SHE'S BETTER THAN THAT. /rant

Dakota wasn't in that movie. Are you thinking of Amanda Seyfried? Also yes that movie is absolute shit.

Lex

Administrator
Oops I so totally am. Colour me shocked at that huge mistake. I should really have checked it or something :desu:

And yeah it was a waste of time. The irony!

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Very good movie, very slow and thoughtful compared to my usual fare but was very engaging and really made you pay attention. Also, Gary Oldman, who was fantastic as always. Mark Strong was also particularly good.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I liked In Time boo you guys ;-;

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
You're not the only one Satsu. ;)
It's shot VERY much like an older concept scifi film (I was on an old scifi film kick when I saw it, which probably added to why I enjoyed it). Also- it's clearly by the same director who did GATTACA, which I also quite like.

Lex

Administrator
I found the following things wrong with it:

Underuse of Olivia Wilde, who I fucking love.
Not enough building of suspense.
Amanda Seyfried's character isn't outraged enough by the actions of JT's character.
Not enough backstory about how they all got timers on their arms. Whose decision it was. How it works. Where it came from.

These things on their own aren't enough to make a movie crap IMO but when you couple that with a predictable "villain" and badly written characters with almost no personality it becomes a poor movie.

Like I said before, it didn't make me want to kill myself. It wasn't SOOOOOO AWFUL or anything but on the graph of movie awesomeness rating (on a scale of 1 to 100) against time the highest peak was around 10 for me (
when they become fugitives and start robbing banks and stuff
) and I quite often stayed at a neutral 0. I felt nothing.

Which annoys me more than it normally would because like I said before, what an amazing concept and an excellent idea for a movie. The scale just wasn't really big enough for me, I kind of just felt like nothing really happened. Why didn't they try to end it altogether? Grrr.

/rant

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, :monster:. Still don't like 3D, but the movie was both enjoyable and WTF this makes no sense.

Top Bottom