Let's Play Final Fantasy VII: At the same time!

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Maybe when Midgar was built, before the plate existed, every sector had a name, but with time and the plate being built, people "stopped caring"? I really don't know anyway.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
Finally caught up.

Its funny how the first time I played Wall Market it took me 2-3 hours to figure it all out, but now I just ran through it all in 5 minutes. I only had 30 gil and tried to buy some food at the restraunt. The waiter took my order then sent it to the chef, but said I needed to pay first for the food. Seeing that I was nearly broke he screamed "Cancel that last order!" lol. "Come back when you got some money"

Anyone want to guess what Tifa is trying to say when Don Corneo picks her? "Fu- Fu- Fu- Be nice Done." It can't really be that, can it?

A little off topic but I know the Buster sword gets alot of hate for its size but to me I wouldnt have it any other way. Final Fantasy VII's theme is "over the top" and "anything goes". I personally like it and think it's size makes it one of gaming's iconic weapons.

And we hear the Shinra theme for the first time. Another classic by Uematsu. Perfectly fits the Shinra corporation. Its interesting how President Shinra's plans to use a controlled demolition of Sector 7 and blame it on a terrorist group resembles what many think was the controlled demolition of the World Trade Center Buildings on 9/11.

At the support column how does Wedge survive such a long fall? And its rediculous how Tifa tells everyone to evacuate sector 7 but nobody does.

I know one major argument haters use against VII is they say Sephiroth's plans all failed. Well, what do you call the destruction of Sector 7 resulting in the death of possibly thousands by the Shinra? And skipping a little further the death of Aeris at the hand of Sephiroth? The destruction of Nibelheim and the slaughter of it's citizens including Cloud and Tifa's parents? What about Shinra's burning of Corel? Those were truly evil acts that succeeded.

The plate falling cut scene was always creepy, especially how one person didn't bother to run and just looked at the plate falling, knowing there was nothing he could do.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Yeah, I remember spending ages in wall market on my first couple of playthroughs, and now its a piece of cake. I wasn't that used to RPG's back then, but now its kind of apparent how easy FFVII really is. I'm not complaining though, I probably wouldn't be playing through again if it was a chore.

I know one major argument haters use against VII is they say Sephiroth's plans all failed. Well, what do you call the destruction of Sector 7 resulting in the death of possibly thousands by the Shinra? And skipping a little further the death of Aeris at the hand of Sephiroth? The destruction of Nibelheim and the slaughter of it's citizens including Cloud and Tifa's parents? What about Shinra's burning of Corel? Those were truly evil acts that succeeded.

You mean Shinra right? :monster:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Natural shock-absorbant padding, :monster:.
Ahh yes but the ending of Tremors disproved that. Really Wedge should have exploded like a bag full of....well..lard. God bless him.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Maybe when Midgar was built, before the plate existed, every sector had a name, but with time and the plate being built, people "stopped caring"? I really don't know anyway.

From what I've gathered, the implication seems to be that Midgar as a geographical location has always had people living there. It's only relatively recently that the giant city that we know of as Midgar was built. But before that there were towns there.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
or either make him look "too manly", which would make Corneo's choice quite stupid. Anyway, we'll see it someday, I guess.

Ahem (from 0:15):

See how well it would work in a comic set up? Provided they retcon the Don's preferences :monster:

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
^ I know, I know, and I still love that movie.

I personally wouldn't mind the comic set up, but as someone said somewhere in this forum, FFVII's heading towards "Serious business", so I wonder how will they do it, assuming they tone the humour down in the game. (Hopefully not!)

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Yeah....how can they have Cloud 'craaaawling in his skiiiin' when hes wearing such a pretty frock? Its impossible to be unhappy in a nice purple dress! :monster:

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Apologies again for the long posts, but well you know…

Ahh Wall Market, quite possibly one of the most hilariously fucked up places in the whole of Final Fantasy, seriously I don’t think there’s a dirtier places with such inuenndos, the older FFs had a little bit here and there but FF7 took the biscuit. I notice that this kinda disappeared in later FFs, true there’s a little thing here and there still but nothing to the extent of this section of FF7. It also does give it a more ‘world realistic’ feel though considering stuff like this does exist in the real world.

Now then as a child I had no idea what cross dressing was or how dirty Wall Market was so initially when Cloud dressed up I never realised how funny this situation was, actually I thought it sweet that Cloud wanted to pretend to be a girl to save his friend. I had no idea what went on in the Honey Bee inn or what exactly was going on when I peeked into the locked room. I thought it was some kinda swanky hotel you had to be a member of, in fact I didn’t go into it until my second playthrough some one year later but even then still never understood it. I’ll never forget the time I was on a playthrough where I finally understood what was going on, as did my brother who happened to be watching me at the time and the two of us just laughed the whole way through and also wondered what our parents would have thought if at the time they realised they’d bought their nine year old children a game containing cross dressing, pimps and prostitutes :monster:

My first playthrough, Tifa was chosen so Cloud of course went to get molested by Corneo’s henchmen, of course still didn’t know what was going on and thought they were just acting like weird zombies, really honestly had no idea and now all I can think is, damn Cloud you poor man.

You’ve got to wonder though just how much they could get away with, when putting this in a remake, they can’t not because it is so iconic and they can’t tone it down because it would be an outrage if they did, incidently that would include all the swearing :monster: I for one would love to see this in its full HD remake glory, although there’s something very funny about blocky, chibi style characters acting scandalous.

: Awful, just horrible and made me realise just how evil shinra coulda could be, I think its quite shocking also because of how light hearted and funny everything was with Wall Markey. I actually felt really sad loosing Biggs, Wedge and Jessie, while they were only NPCs they made a big impact during the beginning of the game and had great personalities, me and my brother were both pretty grim about it when we realised they’d died, we knew they were injured on the pillar but we thought, they’d be ok, even Wedge who’d fallen off the pillar, I even thought he’d somehow recover . Reno is definitely much more ruthless in FF7, at the beginning at least, and shows what he’s willing to do if ordered. The little flashbacks again telling us that Sephiroth is somehow connected with Cloud, again I always felt was interesting because it began to show you there was something more to Cloud and something just didn’t seem quite right. The same if you enter the %@#$ room at Honey Bee Inn, I always thought that was a bit of a strange and scary moment where you see another Cloud there asking what the current Cloud was doing there, I didn’t understand what was going on or why Cloud was having a freak attack.

Aerith’s past always made me sad, just watching her mum die and stuff and the fact that you realised that really she’s been hunted all her life by Shinra. I like that with the Ancients and Aerith we aren’t given much information in the beginning about why Shinra needs Aerith, or what the Promised Land is exactly, all we know is that its very important. Then of course this is the first time we hear one of the best and saddest tracks in my opinion in the game Aerith’s them, it just fits into the moment so well, the first time I heard that theme I do remember I felt very sad about it, I also thought young Aerith was adorable.

: I really didn’t spend much time in sector 6, just fought the battles I encountered during the journey. I do love in the beginning that Aerith is standing there with hands on hips and you get the sense she’s rolling her eyes when Cloud’s trying to stop her from coming with her and love her asking “Are you done” when he’s doing this.

Normally in my playthrough’s I tend not to let Cloud be picked as Don’s ‘bride’ because I’d rather fight the battles and pick up the items in the mansion, although I know this can be done later so on this occasion I chose to go for all the best key items and have Cloud chosen.

I also normally go for the room known as the &#%$ room instead of the group room, but again I wanted to be humoured so I chose the group room. I actually feel sorry for Cloud because it’s a little cringey, they pretty much all grab him and strip him, I laughed when I realised there’s an insinuation that they’re commenting on Cloud’s um…assets and well, we’re not 100% sure what’s going on, I’m pretty sure that’s no ordinary bath they all took together at least but Cloud seems to have and please forgive the pun; taken it like a man…sorry couldn’t resist :monster:

Before I head to said mansion I head to the Weapon store and purchase 4 mythril Bangles, Metal Knuckles for Tifa and the Mythril Staff for Aerith, the one thing I do forget to do though is to stock up on potions...which I’m running low on at this point and Tents which I like for levelling during the Train Graveyard. At the mansion I pick up the available items including the Hyper behind Don’s bed and decide to let Cloud nearly give him a little kiss…normally I take it very seriously and have Cloud go back to normal as soon as I can, almost as if to preserve Cloud’s dignity when I do let him get picked but I’m in a funny mood with this time. On a side not, I’m pretty sure that’s Aerith’s white materia visible in her hair during the time she changes her outfit, funny how it’s already green though, you can also see her white materia in battle sometimes too, particularly during her Great Gospel limit, just a nice little trivia piece there…I’m pretty sure most people know that.

Aps is very easy to kill, at this point Cloud is on a Limit Break so it’s a Blade Beam to begin with and then a couple of Fire spells from Aerith. During its tsunami attack Tifa also gets her limit break , so its Beat Rushes all around. Now then, I mentioned I forgot to buy potions and tents so I’ve decide to hunt around and steal a bunch of ethers with my nice shiny, yellow, new materia, again Tifa has the highest luck…only by like 1 point but still. In terms of stealing the Striking Staff from Eligors, I counted the amount of tries it took before I got the damn thing and it was 18 tries, this included my party all being silenced and sleep being cast on them several times….18 DAMMIT but worth it, because now if you put Aerith in the front row, her attack is on par with Cloud’s. During my fights in the Train Graveyard Tifa gains her somersault limit, Aerith her Seal Evil and most shockingly Cloud gains his Climhazzard limit, quite possibly the earliest I’ve ever gained it in a playthrough, but the enemies just seem to keep targeting him so out pops the limits very quickly.

Nothing major to say about the pillar incident, I didn’t manage to steal any speed sources but ah well, I can always get more very later on in the game. I’ve re-equipped and redistributed Aerith, Barret and Tifa’s material, Cloud like I said previously will stay the same for the time being. Reno not hard, that’s all I can say about that encounter, but watching Barret and his grief for his fallen comrades after the pillar collapses is always a sad moment.

When I get to the Slums I’ve just realised one thing, brace yourself……….I never did “This guy are sick”. I’m serious here I never once visited the pipe with Aerith, I think that’s a first for me, I do remember to go get my Turbo Ether though for not stealing the little boy’s 5gil. At Aerith’s house again nothing major to say apart from I chose the ‘Let’s hope so’ option when Marlene asks Cloud about Aerith. I’m saving my game here instead because its just when Cloud, Tifa and Barret decide to storm Shinra HQ and I’ll head to Wall Market in the next checkpoint.

Cloud: Buster Sword + Mythril Bangle
Lightning, Ice, cover.

Tifa: Metal Knuckle + Mythril Bangle
Restore+All, Fire, Steal .

Barret: Assault Gun + Mythril Bangle
Lightning, Ice

Finally, Cloud level 18, Tifa level 17, Barret level 16, 9133 gil remaining, Time Clocked: 6hrs12mins.

Terrafig

AKA
KaleMarsh
So it took me way too long to get here with work and hurricane bullshit, but at least I'm not behind yet.

Wall Market. I always like how active and decked out the weapon shops are in Midgar, and it's no different here. Cages around the front of shit. People working on things that are probably illegal. They're like ghetto gas stations+firing ranges+laboratories.

There are quite a few areas around that you don't need to head to until later, like the wall with "AVALANCHE" written on it and the really bizarre ex-arcade with Tifa's weapon later. That last one peaked my curiosity, and I always had to get back inside Midgar to check it out. I spent a long time running around it, checking for openings in the infrastructure.

Anyway, the stoned guy, it always confuses me that he has to have Aeris leave to talk to Cloud about getting him a tiara. I mean, really, why can't he just be like the other unashamed cross-dressers in this town :monster:?

Mukki is definitely sexing up Cloud in the Insect Inn. "Does it hurt?" Really? He can't be talking about the heat of the hot tub, right?

So I've heard a couple rumors, and I'm thinking maybe someone here can answer them. I heard there's a bug such that the undergarments don't actually count toward Cloud's attractiveness total. I've also heard that, on the Greatest Hits version for the PSX, you can't get Corneo to pick Cloud, no matter what. Just wondering if those are founded.

I had the Don pick Aeris just because I've never done it, and nothing different really happens from picking Tifa. I laughed at Sprites' assumption that they were zombies because I usually think of them as rape zombies.

The first time I played through this, I was just old enough to understand most of what was going on, and I was OUTRAGED that pure Final Fantasy games were besmirched with such filth!

...Fine, I was a perv-y ten year-old, and I kept snorting into my juice. Happy?

Train Graveyard. I can't be asked to get Aeris' staff since I don't plan on using her much at all, and I'm still zipping through. I think Tifabelle mentioned how much of a headache this place can be to navigate. I got stuck my first three times I played, I think (somewhere around there). Now it's a snap, but Vietnam War Flashbacks. Or something less politically offensive.

I found it funny that, if you give Cloud the dialogue option of not trusting Aeris to take care of herself, he's now okay with Tifa sending her off to look through what's sure to be chaos in Sector 7 for a little girl. Complete 180. I mean, sure, she made you cross-dress and does all right in battle, but is he looking for revenge?

On the subject of Reno, I'm with the people who have said that the dichotomy of his character makes him interesting. I don't want to see him defined as the kind of person who would drop the plate on Sector 7, but I would be extremely bored by him if he were just a comedic relief villain. His charm comes from the fact that people think long enough to try to fit together the Reno who teams up with AVALANCHE to save Elena and Yuffie from Don Corneo and the Reno who drops the plate.

The older I get, the more these scenes get to me, and I'm not really sure how that works, but I was trying not to cry when Barret ran back and forth outside the debris pile of Sector 7. Make fun of me all you want.

Octo, is that Joseph Hadyn for realz? I usually write it off as some Loveless riff, but if it's actually Hadyn, that's pretty baller. The President is a mega deuche.

And I don't really have anything left to say on Elmyra's house, except that I don't know why Young Aeris would tell her Elmyra about her husband's death before she got the letter. It seems sort of strange.

I might explore Sector 5 more later. By the way, you can also run into Bandits outside Sector 5 and steal Speed Potions then. So if you missed them on the way (to a smile) up the plate, no worries.

Cloud Level 12: Ice, Fire, Restore, Lightning
Tifa Level 12: Ice, Steal, Sense, Fire
Barret Level 11: Restore+All, Lightning

So I've heard a couple rumors, and I'm thinking maybe someone here can answer them. I heard there's a bug such that the undergarments don't actually count toward Cloud's attractiveness total.

If you trust Absolute Steve's guide, then yes. For the Lingerie, Mystery Panties (unused key item) and the Bikini Briefs each key item net ZERO attraction value points to Cloud.
HOWEVER, after gaining either the Lingerie or the Bikini Briefs (in other words after either scene with Mukki) you can go to the dressing room and have the girls put make-up on Cloud.

THIS will increase the attraction points, either with 1, 3 or 5 points.

The Attraction Bonus from Makeup is only given once, and the chances in the table above summarize which bonus is given. You can never check which bonus you have gotten, but you are given an indication by the sound the game plays when makeup is applied.

A +1 bonus gives a single 'tink' sound effect.
A +3 bonus gives a healing sound effect.
A +5 bonus gives a wind sound effect (may be difficult to hear).

Source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197341-final-fantasy-vii/faqs/45703

I've also heard that, on the Greatest Hits version for the PSX, you can't get Corneo to pick Cloud, no matter what. Just wondering if those are founded.
I have honestly never heard of this before. There *should* be no difference between the first and second English releases, other than the box covers.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Octo, is that Joseph Hadyn for realz? I usually write it off as some Loveless riff, but if it's actually Hadyn, that's pretty baller. The President is a mega deuche.

Yeah, it's from Haydn's "The Creation". Says so somewhere in the credits.

Relevant part starts at about 4:14.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I've also heard that, on the Greatest Hits version for the PSX, you can't get Corneo to pick Cloud, no matter what. Just wondering if those are founded.

I have the Greatest Hits version and I've gotten Cloud to be picked before.

I've never been able to get Aeris picked though.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
I feel this thread is slowing, updated checkpoint please. :monster:

In related news: I climbed the stairs in ShinRa HQ, Tifa calls Barret a retard. :wacky:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I was about to climb the stairs, but then I was like 'Fuck that shit, don't waste my time bitch', yelled out 'THIS IS SPARTAAA!' and went through the front door. Which isn't as SPARTAAA! as one would guess, but I like to think it saves some time slash boredom at the cost of snarky remarks.

Speaking of, I'm liek way ahead of you guys, already in Junon, and I don't even play that often :monster:.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
I have a confession to make, I am up to the Temple of the Ancients. Surprising too as I have been level grinding more than I ever do and actually bothering with the Enemy Skill materia. I had no idea Big Guard and White Wind were so useful, they more or less make Time, Barrier, Cure and Heal redundant :monster:

Going to do the Wutai sidequest first though. I'm making notes as I go along so its all dandy :monster:

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
I've decided to bust in to begin with and then go back and climb the stairs to get the elixir...cause I'm funny about that and yeah I think things are slowing down in here, it'd be great if we could get more feedback from other people, it seems like only a few of us have really been updating this. I've decided to also just start playing and make notes as I go along because I don't like constantly starting and stopping while waiting for the checkpoints to be updated, Shinra building is a pretty big one but its good because it'll take a bit longer, I think now's the best time to start making the checkpoints a little longer, like you could pretty much get to leaving Midgar in a couple of hours if you wanted to :monster:

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
- one of the guys wondering around Wall Market calls Aerith a 'heifer' and another guy at the HBI calls Cloud an unpopular dweeb. lmao
- sometimes Aerith's thought processes scare me. CLOUD, CLEARLY YOU MUST CROSSDRESS.
- BIG BRO
- I kinda forgot how much fun Aerith is as a character.
- Don Corneo's theme is perfect. Except everytime I hear it now I can only think of the rap version. Some would SAY that I'm a sexual DEEEEviant but I would SAY that I am really quite LEEEEnient.
-
And so begins a beautiful friendship between Tifa and Aerith where they bond over their mutual knack for completely ignoring everything Cloud says. :awesome:
- Couldn't remember what dress was needed to get Cloud picked, so Aerith got picked instead. "DON, YOU'VE GOT GREAT TASTE." So modest, Aerith.
- I know someone else mentioned this, but I too used to think the guys in the room were zombies.
- There's a Hyper behind Corneo's bed. This has confirmed my suspicion that Hypers are the FF7 universe's equivalent of cocaine. Alternatively, viagra.
- I love Corneo's little victory dance.
- I can't help but admire to some degree the sheer ruthlessness and intelligence that's President Shinra. Damn. Also, I like how we get the first look at Reeve and his being distraught over the decision to drop the plate before we have any real idea who he is.
- Anxious Heart is one of my most fave tracks from any game ever. unf
- The train conductor who refuses to leave makes me sadfeis.
- Great use of the battle music while not in battle, really highlights the oshtness of the pillar situation.
- Wedge, Biggs, Jessie. T_______T
- Oh Tseng, please stop laughing evilly. You remind me far too much of Hojo when you do that.
- President Shinra listening to opera music as the plate crashes down. CLASSIC VILLIANNESS RIGHT THERE. Arcturus Mengsk anyone?
- I never noticed Biggs and Jessie in Elmyra's flashback before. Nice touch.
- I love how if you're following someone (ie the kids towards the wire) and you run along immediately behind them you spaz the fuck out. Never ceases to amuse me. :3
- Golden shiny wire of hope. IT'S NOT EVEN GOLD, THE FUCK BARRET.
- The climb up to the plate is one of my most favourite parts in the entire game. I'm not really sure why I love it so much, though it may have to do with the epic music.

Also, I didn't go into the Honey Bee Inn this time around because I forgot about it, and now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever actually gone into it.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Kate: Go in at least once, I'm telling ya the things you see in that place are well.........especially if you choose the group room for Cloud that is just some weird shit there.

Kate Beckett said:
- I never noticed Biggs and Jessie in Elmyra's flashback before. Nice touch.

Yeah I noticed that but it makes me wonder how old Jessie and Biggs are exactly because they don't look any different and they'd have to be in their teens at least and why do they look like they're dating or something, you certainly don't get that impression in the game. During that flashback Elmyra is talking about it happened 15 years previous and Aerith was only seven years old then, Biggs and Jessie also seem a similar age to Cloud, so I'm wondering about that.

Top Bottom