Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Mwynn

Tenderness
The focus of the XIII series has always been on familial love so I doubt we'll see any romantic stuff around Lightning. Well, as a Hoperai fan, the most I can hope is for there to be at least subtle implications of intimacy between them, and I'll be fine with that because I can leave the rest to my imagination. :monster:

Splintered

unsavory tart
I want Lightning to interact with everybody, I really miss the team/family dynamic from the first game, and some characters (Sazh) weren't given the screentime they deserved.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I don't understand the Lightning/Hope portmanteau. Rai?

Of course, I don't understand the pairing in the first place, so maybe that's appropriate.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Clearly Lightning is the woman on top in any situation pairing :monster:

I've put off posting in here for propers for a while now until I actually played a decent amount of XIII-2; I've been following the thread though. It's funny because I don't feel like I've spoilered anything for myself in particular yet since half of the time I have no fucking idea what goes on in the game. :awesome:

I'm quite interested in the sudden departure from traditional party formats - although XIII-2 was already by no means a 'traditional' Final Fantasy game and in hindsight it seems like this was just a transitional means to depart from gameplay formula even further.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
i dislike hope/light not just because of the age difference (although meeting someone of a legal, mature age who just happens to be a few years younger is very different from meeting someone when they were prepubescent and suddenly seeing them romantically/sexually and for the most part first impressions stick)

(i mean have you ever seen like a young family member or someone's kid years later and you still just see them as a child and you have no idea who the young adult in front of you is?? like hey man weren't you drooling in your diapers just last week what the hell is going on)

but lighting was very clearly defined as a maternal figure in hope's life regardless. suddenly turning that relationship into something romantic/sexual is just way too weird imo

anyway hope seems more likely to take it up the butt

mature serious opinion from tls user zee

I want Lightning to interact with everybody, I really miss the team/family dynamic from the first game, and some characters (Sazh) weren't given the screentime they deserved.

oh god this.

it's been a while since i felt so strongly about a cast dynamic

Splintered

unsavory tart
I just like teasing Hope/Lightning fans. I can see why people like it, but I'm with Zee that I can't see Lightning shifting to a maternal figure to a love interest without some major discomfort.

I'm quite interested in the sudden departure from traditional party formats - although XIII-2 was already by no means a 'traditional' Final Fantasy game and in hindsight it seems like this was just a transitional means to depart from gameplay formula even further.
Yeah, actually they seem to really like experimenting with this franchise, XIII being pretty one note, then with XIII-2 trying to play with player choice (which was fun, but not very relevant in the game) and non linearity (which imo, was a bigger success especially with the time traveling dynamic). I guess they wanted to do a world driven game.

I still think having the last game in a saga with less characters that you start off with is always a bad move imo. Because if it's the end of a story I want to work with everyone who's been there from the beginning.

That said I actually think the gameplay in this is going to be fun. I'm a little more wary on the decision to finally give us a fairly open world game we are meant to explore, and then decide to make it a time management game. Thinking back to the games I played, it worked for Dead Rising 2 and Majora's Mask but there was very little penalty for wasting time and resetting everything. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with it.

Also, graphics don't make a game, but I don't know many people denying the game looks choppy. Toriyama did say that it was early in production so it makes sense, but you can see a whole bunch of back and forth about how downgraded it looks (one of my favorite comments being "Oh I didn't know they were still making games on the Dreamcast). I want to see how it all ends up.

oh god this.

it's been a while since i felt so strongly about a cast dynamic
Me too. I started the game not really liking anybody, then towards the middle I felt like they were family. One of my favorite things about this game was the comradery. Serah and Noel's friendship was effortlessly likeable as well but I dunno, I just missed the large cast?

Thank goodness they said every character was going to have a satisfiable arc. Hopefully they'll keep their word.

Last edited:

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
What if the girl is Lindzei taking the form of a younger Serah, or even a younger Lightning?

Haha, I'm sure the explanation is a complete mindf*ck.

By the way, it's not that rare knowing someone from your childhood/younger years and realize, once that person hits adulthood, that you might have the hots for her/him. I've seen that happen.

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
So Lightning might be getting DLC costumes...of Cloud's FF7 and AC outfits.

If you're a fan of Cloud - and who isn't? - you might just want to see Lightning dress up as the Final Fantasy VII protagonist.

According to a recent FFDream interview with Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII producers Yoshinori Kitase and Motomu Toriyama, the developer is considering various DLC costumes for Lightning.

As you can see through the link, they provided two pictures of Light dressed as a 1st Class SOLDIER, which was of course Cloud's rank. Here's the portion of the interview that leads us to believe that Square Enix is aware of the most popular fan characters:

Yoshinori Kitase: "As you know, Final Fantasy has already offered a lot of alternative costumes, such as the black mage or white mage that have been successful. First you need to consider whether other elements of Final Fantasy are also popular with the public, we still thinking what kind of offer DLC for Lightning Returns. But if there is a strong demand for fans, we will consider the question."

Motomu Toriyama: "You said that Cloud and Zack are the most popular is it?"

FFDream: "Yes, these are the two boys who had the most votes. Girls on Yuna, Lightning and Tifa are in mind."

Despite the wonky translation, you get the gist. But costumes really won't help the die-hard fans much, will they? It's tough to forget what Lightning Returns has become in comparison to past entries in the series...

From psxtreme (can't post links yet)

...That's just plain weird.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
If you guys want to see the image...
file.php

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
And yet, with him being described as "female cloud" by the designer, I am not surprised :monster:.

(I bet it'd look pretty hot too, :monster: )

Edit: didn't see the poasts made in between. Left works, right, meh :monster:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I hate Cloud's AC outfit, but it looks good on her. Weird.

If I can have her dressed like that or in Cloud's SOLDIER outfit, all my concerns about crap outfits have been resolved. I'm excited about this game again.

Top Bottom