Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
So someone just pointed out something really interesting regarding the white chocobo.

tumblr_inline_ms2zcmuHlS1qgk6c4.png

That pretty much confirms it, I think?

aw odin ;-;

Looks like his head details too:

http://www.figures.com/forums/attac...-enix-ffxiii-play-arts-kai-odin-1odinkai4.jpg

Last edited:

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
So someone just pointed out something really interesting regarding the white chocobo.

tumblr_inline_ms2zcmuHlS1qgk6c4.png

That pretty much confirms it, I think?

aw odin ;-;

IT'S SO FLUFFY I'M GONNA DIE!

:awesome:

The dragoon outfit it's Kain's, complete with victory pose *swoons*

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
The only one who's life (soul and/or physical) was in danger was Etro.

She was the one who, undefeated, held the power to stop those who would do something that would disrupt the balance between the worlds. While she was imperfect in it, it was her duty - a focus placed on her by Mwynn, who held the same duty and power before her.

I don't think that Lightning would have been a target, if she didn't get in his way; thing is, she would have been killed, as would be everyone, if she didn't at least try to stop him.

PS: Where did you get that screenshot of the chocobo?

Bear with the shaky camera and LQ. Short demo of the Wildlands showed at Gamescom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CisnhyX5OGo#t=73

Forgive me Germans, but... Dunkle?! :P lol

Okay, please, go forth with your mocking of English. I deserve it.

Fangu

Great Old One
Forgive me Germans, but... Dunkle?! :P lol

Okay, please, go forth with your mocking of English. I deserve it.
I didn't watch through the video to see where you saw this, but do you mean Dunkel? (Dunk-ell.) That basically means "black". ("Dunkeln" is "dark" iirc.)

Shakarian

dem titans
AKA
Palumpolum, Jack the Ripper, Colonel AI, laurash65, Re-L Mayer
Some updates:

1. Yuji Abe confirms that Fang is not the only character managed by AI to fight occasionally alongside Lightning in LR. Meaning there will be more guests we can expect. :joy:

2. Changing the game’s system during development, it now takes 50 hours to finish LR, as opposed to 20-something that was calculated earlier on.

3. A new character for Lightning Returns will be shown at the Tokyo Game Show next month.

Source: https://twitter.com/ffworldcom (in french)

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
Some updates:

1. Yuji Abe confirms that Fang is not the only character managed by AI to fight occasionally alongside Lightning in LR. Meaning there will be more guests we can expect. :joy:

2. Changing the game’s system during development, it now takes 50 hours to finish LR, as opposed to 20-something that was calculated earlier on.

3. A new character for Lightning Returns will be shown at the Tokyo Game Show next month.

Source: https://twitter.com/ffworldcom (in french)

I'm hit with good news and bad news today :aah::aah::D:D

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
//enjoys Caius rambling

As a Caius fanboy I'm gonna have to stop you there and say that what he represents is more than just Dysley or even Ragnarok!Fang.

Caius is closer to Garland or even Chaos itself simply because he instigated much of everything that is currently going on.

Much of the "fight" between Lightning and Caius was "implied" throughout Serah's journey. It was like an endless loop of battles for Lightning with little to no rest in between. (If you understood the Norse concept of Valhalla, this makes even more sense).

In Valhalla, battles never end, life never ends, and there is always conflict. This was Garland's curse that he spoke about with the Warriors of Light in the first FF and in Dissidia.

Likewise, though Caius was immortal unless a Guardian killed him, Yeul couldn't truly die either. She was cursed by the Goddess for having a piece of the Goddess inside her.

In Requiem for the Goddess, the battle is deliberately difficult at first, forcing the player to feel the despair that Lightning felt against such odds. Fighting the same battle over and over again. Losing, trying to get stronger, yet losing again.

If you consider that, and then remember that Lightning was only able to speak to Serah ONCE in a distant ruined future for a brief amount of moments before Serah set off to sacrifice herself, and then when Serah actually dies and her spirit goes to Valhalla to speak with Lightning once last time.

I'm gonna say there's no doubt in my mind that this isn't over. It is FAR from over!

Last edited:

Splintered

unsavory tart
As a Caius fanboy I'm gonna have to stop you there and say that what he represents is more than just Dysley or even Ragnarok!Fang.
I'm also a big Caius fan, so I don't mean to imply he is only Dysley and Fang, but thematically he takes a lot of the same points.

Caius is like Fang because of the relationship with Yuel/Vanille, and the lengths they would go to prevent suffering. And the sad part is, they aren't even ensuring a happy life, just them not being fucked over for the rest of eternity. Their entire lives are spent to ensure that they could do something for Yuel/Vanille, and it never mattered what Yuel/Vanille wants. Caius outrights says it and Fang even raises her hand to Vanille in the last minutes of the game, not out of hatred or frustration but because there was nothing left for them to do.

What ends up being different is not that Caius is fundamentally more "evil" and Fang more benevolent, it's just that Caius turns out to be broken and Fang never crossed the line of no return. Caius and Fang are both good people, willing to get their hands dirty because the one person they loved more than anything would suffer, and they went against the world because hey- Yuel/Vanille was their world.

Caius persona isn't like Bart but as far as they do their business, they both wait for hundreds of years, playing multiple hands. Caius and Bart differ in one way that Caius has multiple plans running simultaneously (get Noel to kill him, kill Etros in Valhalla, or get Cocoon to fall)- it's even more interesting once you note that the only reason that Noel was able to destroy the heart was BECAUSE he started on his journey, while Bart has one plan where he manipulates all the players (he is the government, he is the power that checks the government, and he is rebellion against the government, he leads Lightning and co, and he knows how to play the people).

The other issue is that Caius and Bart, despite pretending to be the wise, almost logical person with all the knowledge, they are both more emotionally affected than they let on. Bart tries to explain that this is the only way to save people, and he is doing it for all life, and that this is the way things should be. But when he dies before he gets to his third form, he's actually shouting in both happiness and relief about how he finally has sweet release, which says to me that he's really wanted this above all else.

Caius is more emotional throughout the story, he is openly hostile to Noel and sheds tears over Yuel, but he spends a decent amount of time calmly and coldly explaining to Noel why and what he is doing- like he's trying to make you see the truth. He does the same thing to Serah in the Void Beyond. During the fight on the airships, he starts out to talk about Yuel's fate, and the more he talks the more visible agitated he gets himself. Then in Valhalla, the dude finally just rages at Noel, and it's my absolute favorite part because it's a compelling villain!breakdown and it shows that calm resolve is just hiding hundreds of years of frustration, bitterness, and desperation.

Also, like Dysley, despite being the puppet master, he's also a bit of a experiment by a cosmic power above him. While Dysley wants to be with it and Caius wants to destroy it- they still are working with the issues handed down on them. Neither Dysley or Caius want power, wealth, or to rule anything. And all things considered Dysley and Caius are both immortal and can transform into huge asskicking robots/dragons that shoot fuckoff lasers, but yet as players we understand they get the crap end of the deal. Because in the end, they aren't in control of the situation they were put in, they had to struggle with their places too.

Actually that point could extend to Fang too, as the only character that fully embraces her focus, she doesn't do it for herself. And I think the game might have implied that she didn't even have to worry too much about it considering her brand is all messed up, but she still pushes to get it complete. For Vanille.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade

Your argument smacks of FangxVanille but in Fang's case, she ultimately made a decision to sacrifice herself as Ragnarok even if that meant Vanille would have to go with her. Then Vanille finally developed enough backbone to support her, ultimately preventing Cocoon from falling which goes against what Barthandeleus desired.

My take on Barthandeleus is that unlike Caius, he had no respect for humanity.

Caius tends to hide in the shadows from most of the world. Even in Academia, little kids said they saw him just 'standing there waiting outside of town'. And in other sightings of him, he just keeps to himself and no one really pays attention to either him or Yeul. It's only in the distant future that he interacts with humanity much at all (and in Noel's story, he's still very much isolated from their village).

The fact is, although he is a threat, Caius had no desire to harm people...he just wanted to destroy the Goddess and prevent suffering.

Barthandeleus on the other hand had no such considerations and turns all his men in to C'ieth at the drop of a hat just to slow Lightning & Co. down.

His desires are selfish, unlike those of Caius.

Most encounters with Caius are relatively justified (with exception to the Duplicate) as Noel truly was violating the laws of causality by changing the future, and by doing so effecting the Yeul lineage (and by extention, Serah).

If Noel hadn't've done what he did, Serah would've been alone for the rest of her life, helpless to do anything, and Lightning would've continued to fight Caius in Valhalla until she struck him down (perhaps by accident) and killed the Goddess inadvertently or unleashed the Chaos.

So long as Caius opposed the Goddess, there was no way around her death. Regardless if Noel or Lighting had done the deed.

And as far as comparing Fang to Caius goes... Fang knew she was a threat to Coccoon (and perhaps even Pulse), all the more reason to avoid becoming Ragnarok, but at the chance to save it through that power, she never balked. Likewise it was her and Vanille that were able to pull Serah out of her dream that Caius put her in.

Caius hesitates at the idea that Yeul was reviving herself for HIS sake... Which indicates to me that he was in denial of the idea she had feelings for him and was willing to do all that despite his intentions.

While selfless, Caius was naive. Reckless enough to sacrifice everything for Yeul, but unable to realize it would only ruin the future she worked so hard to create for HIS sake.

Fang on the other hand chose to turn the consequences of her powers (even putting Vanille at risk) in to something that could save people.

Likely that's why she hasn't given up hope in this new world.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
The fact is, although he is a threat, Caius had no desire to harm people...he just wanted to destroy the Goddess and prevent suffering.

Barthandeleus on the other hand had no such considerations and turns all his men in to C'ieth at the drop of a hat just to slow Lightning & Co. down.

His desires are selfish, unlike those of Caius.

I disagree. I am sorry but I'll have to leave my reasons for later, 'cause I'm just too tired. I will sum it up thus: Barthandelus was doing so for multiple reasons, I believe. Caius would have destroyed the entire cosmos to free himself and Yeul from their fates. Barthandelus never asked for his destiny (though chose his fate, suicide - the only way he could be free from his inescapable life). Caius, we do not know if he agreed to hold the heart of Etro, as we're only told Etro gave it to him. In this, he may very well have asked for his own fate - not understanding what he was truly asking for. He did know that chaos would destroy the world. He knew that innocent lives would be murdered. Yes, Barthandelus did as well, but he was told that a better life would come for the world. He found the door. That was his, and is all fal'Cie, ultimate duty.

Last edited:

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Caius, we do not know if he agreed to hold the heart of Etro, as we're only told Etro gave it to him.

I believe it was because Caius opted to perform a forbidden summoning ritual (i.e. merging with Bahamut, which is similar to the Final Aeon Rite in FFX) in order to save Etro's chosen (Yeul) that Etro gave him her heart.

From what I remember, of the notes, Caius' duty was towards the Goddess at first as he knew full well Yeul's purpose and where she got her powers.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Double Post 'cause of interesting news...

Follow the link

Mmm... could it be that, since it's silverly/metallic, it either reflects the light ot takes in the color of what surrounds it, depending on the camera angle? That would be the "boring" explanation, of course. That Lumina is actually a two-sided being that is either good or evil depending on the situation is quite cool.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
If it actually DOES bear significance, it could be just that Lumina is a "clue giver" as to what routes to take in the game, for example:

White Lumina > Helpful Items / Side Quests

Black Lumina > Saving "Condemning" Souls / Indicators of bad routes to take

Shakarian

dem titans
AKA
Palumpolum, Jack the Ripper, Colonel AI, laurash65, Re-L Mayer
New Making Of video. :awesome:

That part at 5:03...shipping much? (not that i'm complaining :P)

Lex

Administrator
Wow, I loved that!

Vanille confirmed, huzzah. Also yes, shipping :D

What I'm even more excited about though, is this "next edition of Inside the Square", because I really enjoyed that and it's this kind of shit Square-Enix have been lacking in for the last few years.

Mwynn

Tenderness
ggguuuuuuuhhhhh I don't like how they're obviously hyping Vanille. I'm getting excited at what they might have done to her and I've been keeping my hopes down.

gguuhh

Fangu

Great Old One
I didn't see it as shipping. "Relationship" doesn't have to mean romantic - anyway I'd love to see a different translate. I read it more like "it's cute and I'd like to see more of it". Kinda like I feel about them, especially after recently replaying some XIII. Hope is the kid that makes Lightning feel she can actually influence - and protect someone. "Lightning. It flashes bright, but it can not protect" (or what that was). He puts the hope (ha!) back in her she can patch things up with Serah.

Ugh no wait I don't want to start another Hoperai discussion :P

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
Mmm... could it be that, since it's silverly/metallic, it either reflects the light ot takes in the color of what surrounds it, depending on the camera angle? That would be the "boring" explanation, of course. That Lumina is actually a two-sided being that is either good or evil depending on the situation is quite cool.

If it actually DOES bear significance, it could be just that Lumina is a "clue giver" as to what routes to take in the game, for example:

White Lumina > Helpful Items / Side Quests

Black Lumina > Saving "Condemning" Souls / Indicators of bad routes to take

I was thinking along the lines of

White: Helpful, Advising

Black: Harmful, Misleading

She seems to be of a similar spirit to Barthandelus; helpful and harmful, very much manipulating and leading.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I didn't see it as shipping... if it wasn't for the girls' giggling. Honest here. Those tiny "muffled" laughs made me think there's something there. Either that, or it's just their own headcanon / fantasy.

Lex

Administrator
Well the way they laughed certainly made it seem quite shippy yeah, but they were either laughing because they're aware of hoperai in the fandom and enjoyed making it sound a little cryptic, or because something shippy happens. Who knows.

Top Bottom