SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

While there's no evidence of this, I think you're on to something here. The proto-Aerith/Tifa hybrid character had Tifa's design, after all. In this stage Aerith and Sephiroth were related, so when they drafted a new look for her they designed them to be similar. That's why Aerith and Sephiroth have the same bangs. At this time Sephiroth also looked more like vincent, who arguably resembles Tifa streeeeetch so maybe that's part of the reason that design got repurposed in favor of Sephiroth's final look. This way the siblings look like each other and the Tifa design gets to have another role. I dunno, that kinda makes sense.
Actually there's a story that Nomura subbed Tifa's design for Aerith when the subject of a character death came up. Tifa got put on the back burner because there was only one heroine at that point. Then they moved into the next stage of development and brought up the fact they were killing their only love interest. At this point Tifa was brought back in as the idea of the love triangle was suggested and she was given the internal plot with Cloud, while Aerith remained the external plot and character death.

And I've seen a quote where Nomura jokes that he saved Tifa by giving them Aerith.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Actually there's a story that Nomura subbed Tifa's design for Aerith when the subject of a character death came up. Tifa got put on the back burner because there was only one heroine at that point. Then they moved into the next stage of development and brought up the fact they were killing their only love interest. At this point Tifa was brought back in as the idea of the love triangle was suggested and she was given the internal plot with Cloud, while Aerith remained the external plot and character death.

And I've seen a quote where Nomura jokes that he saved Tifa by giving them Aerith.
Would you have any idea where he made those comments? If we could confirm them it would be amazing.

Top Bottom