SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
Aerith still does the bulk of the softening. Saying "everyone" when we have scenes which only exist to show how Cloud stops being a dope proper around her is ducking the issue by trying not to commit. But the fact that you choose to highlight a minor crone to relate it back to Tifa... that's so insubstantial. Marle mostly is there to say "this Cloud is no good" early on so we get the picture.

Tifa is not jealous of Cloud's rapport with Aerith like your fiance is with your friend. Your fiance just wishes she could be as fun for you. Tifa is actually worried Cloud likes Aerith more than as a friend or comrade. Why do they include this if it's trivial? Why does it continue into AC?

If it's just Tifa misunderstanding, which we know it or at least agree it isn't, why do they drag it out for that long? Why doesn't Cloud just shoot it down there and that be the end of it? Usually when one character mistakenly thinks another character likes someone else that is used to create tension among the characters, but here Aerith and Tifa are very friendly so that can't be it. The drama around these relationships has always been Aerith tragically dying by Sephiroth's hand and Tifa struggling to admit her feelings or feeling she's losing Cloud, not misdirected suspicion and animosity.

This is pretty transparent to me. Once the subject becomes about Cloud and Aerith's dynamic we can no longer assume scenes and character dynamics deliberately put in the game mean anything and that's it's all just too ambiguous (when it isn't at all). But once we have an opaque idea that Aerith wants Cloud to go after Tifa instead of her, and the Ultimania strongly suggests this is because Aerith suspects she is not long for this world, that becomes the final word and that no dramatic developments will happen later.

half my posts are about how you guys treat things as obvious givens except when it comes to Cloud and Aerith. Just pointing that out.

I agree with what you said. I find it kinda strange the difference in how the Devs are telling the story this time around. I honestly want to know, do you think this is how the story should have been told in OG, but they just didn't have the technology to convey the story line as it is today? Or do you think that the Devs are finally filling in the missing pieces.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Sad, and true. I wouldn't think Tifa would do that to Cloud, especially in his state of mind at the moment. I mean the entire reason she (pushed/forced) Cloud into Avalanche was to keep an eye on him because she knows that some things are not right with him.

Mako, is some serious drugs man! Especially for Cloud who has been swimming in it for 5 plus years!

Lets be honest here, Cloud's state of mind is really messed up and is very easily influenced. He is a tragic character. Luckly for him he has Tifa, Aerith, and Barrett and later the entire gang to help keep him grounded.

I think if Shinra really played their cards right and captured Cloud, and have him work for Shinra again. Avalanche, would not have a chance against Cloud at all. Shinra would easily won the day. I wonder why the Devs never did that angle....
I don't think she would ever bail on him totally. Just romantically. Her love from him is much deeper.

I can't wait to see more emotional scenes between them. Even ones between C & A are going to be tough

Shinra capturing Cloud could've been a good twist. I brought it up in another post, but I hope we get more manipulation from Sephiroth, besides just giving him the black materia. Maybe we'll even fight Cloud

billy22

Pro Adventurer
half my posts are about how you guys treat things as obvious givens except when it comes to Cloud and Aerith. Just pointing that out.
'You guys'?

That was directed at bb. I don't even know what your edit about Zack (which came after my post) means in your post.

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
I don't think she would ever bail on him totally. Just romantically. Her love from him is much deeper.

I can't wait to see more emotional scenes between them. Even ones between C & A are going to be tough

Shinra capturing Cloud could've been a good twist. I brought it up in another post, but I hope we get more manipulation from Sephiroth, besides just giving him the black materia. Maybe we'll even fight Cloud

I agree. Again, there are a lot of Cloud and Aerith scenes that are missing in the remake. It is strange that they omitted them. Some are very iconic. Especially the one where they are locked up with Tifa getting really jealous about the date that Aerith promised him. I love that part! Tifa was like EXCUSE ME!

Although later Tifa did say that she "gets it" but their interactions was great. I would have loved to see that in the remake.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I think Tifa mimics the Tifa in AC/C, where she has "complicated" feelings towards Aerith: a little jealousy, but also, it's the beginning of their friendship, and they hit it off immediately. I've thought about it and to me, that's the answer, especially since the Compilation is at the heart of the Remake.

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
I think Tifa mimics the Tifa in AC/C, where she has "complicated" feelings towards Aerith: a little jealousy, but also, it's the beginning of their friendship, and they hit it off immediately. I've thought about it and to me, that's the answer, especially since the Compilation is at the heart of the Remake.

That is so true. I was really glad how we saw Tifa in the remake break out of her shell but yet still remain reserved. Especially towards Cloud. I mean, wasn't she the one who asked Cloud out on a date this time? Of course this is an optional scene but nonetheless the character development was there. There are other scenes that are not optional that displays this behavior as well.

I will admit that just like a lot of other people are saying that he Tifa and Cloud relationship is a real slow burner. Too slow in my personal opinion. ;) It will get there though. The world depends on it.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I agree. Again, there are a lot of Cloud and Aerith scenes that are missing in the remake. It is strange that they omitted them. Some are very iconic. Especially the one where they are locked up with Tifa getting really jealous about the date that Aerith promised him. I love that part! Tifa was like EXCUSE ME!

Although later Tifa did say that she "gets it" but their interactions was great. I would have loved to see that in the remake.
Yeah, only time will tell why they omitted those scenes from the remake. A few people have said maybe its cause SE is pushing us towards T & C. I guess we'll see. Either way, it doesn't matter to me. I just want to see a good story being told:)

Eerie

Fire and Blood
They said so in one of the books covering the movie. Yeah, it was only seen at the church I believe. But then again, AC and even the better AC/C are pretty poo :mon:

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
They said so in one of the books covering the movie. Yeah, it was only seen at the church I believe. But then again, AC and even the better AC/C are pretty poo :mon:

Yeah, do you guys get the feeling that SE is trying to combine CC, FF7, and AC into one cohesive story! OMG! Is that even possible. Can SE tell a cohesive story? :P I am so ready for this! Honestly. It took the 23 damn years.

billy22

Pro Adventurer
The scary part is I have a sneaking suspicion after looking over the ultimania and reading developer statements that this series is going to take longer than 3-4 games.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
...did Tifa have complicated feelings towards Aerith in AC/C? The only time she references or addresses her is to thank her near the end.

Yeah, there's the moment in the church as well. Her 10th Anniversary Ultimania profile keys in on it, and then mentions the bit near the end to say that Tifa's primary feelings for Aerith are of cherishing her.

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
so, lets go back to the CH14 scene with Tifa and Cloud. After, new information that was released through the Ultimania do you think that changes the scene from your point of view?

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Yeah, do you guys get the feeling that SE is trying to combine CC, FF7, and AC into one cohesive story! OMG! Is that even possible. Can SE tell a cohesive story? :P I am so ready for this! Honestly. It took the 23 damn years.
Yes! SE said the compilation is the basis for the remake:)

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
so, lets go back to the CH14 scene with Tifa and Cloud. After, new information that was released through the Ultimania do you think that changes the scene from your point of view?
Doesn't change anything for me. It is still one of my favorites

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
Doesn't change anything for me. It is still one of my favorites

I agree it is one of mine as well. However, the way they said that Cloud wanted to be like an adult and comfort Tifa like Barrett, right after the Sector 7 plate falling down onto the slums, I felt it kinda took a bit of the romance out of it. Don't get me wrong it is definitely a sweet moment shared between them.

Looking at the scene at face value at first I did see a lot of romance in that scene, but I kinda feel that after more information was released it kind diminished the scene slightly. I will admit that it did show Tifa and Cloud making forward progress

YuMiHim

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
the white life
According to the new Ultimania, Noruma won't tell us a 2nd reason for why the title "Remake" exists.

I've also felt that Nomija was being annoyed with the team for trying to change the original story.

If they let Aerith live through player choice in this game, I'll be fine with that.

Enthralled

Pro Adventurer
AKA
a dude
Not really. I thought it made sense that it was about comfort first, and one can easily read romance into just by knowing those two already. And I like the idea of them growing closer rather than it just being assumed they're close. Some call their romance in the original a slowburn and I disagree but now it looks like it is. Assuming they don't recommit to equal scenes, or if it's just nominally equal scenes, I'd imagine next Episode will be about them growing apart due to the Kalm Flashback. With Tifa feeling gaslighted like crazy. Then Aerith dies and Tifa grows into helping Cloud when he needs it. A good, strong arc for them both. "Yes we may be damaged but... deal with it."

According to the new Ultimania, Noruma won't tell us a 2nd reason for why the title "Remake" exists.

I've also felt that Nomija was being annoyed with the team for trying to change the original story.

If they let Aerith live through player choice in this game, I'll be fine with that.
Or a hidden ending, or obscure questline reminiscent of the old hoax Aerith Revival guides

I think they cut that because Tifa and Aerith are friendlier and they had a lot more exposition to do. And also at this point Aerith is trying to not lead Cloud on. I heard someone theorize that because Aerith knows the future she's not behaving the same ways so her interactions with Cloud are now "different" from before.

Maidenofwar

They/Them
I think someone mentioned it before (Ody?) that they would have been peeved if they had gone with the original version of Cloud not following through with the hug, I can understand that, if someone had been specifically going out of their way to get Cloud and Tifa for c14 only to be teased with a hug and not have it happen that could be frustrating, I'm glad Nojima was like noooo have a hug and noooo we're keeping the L word in Aerith scene!

Enthralled

Pro Adventurer
AKA
a dude
I agree with what you said. I find it kinda strange the difference in how the Devs are telling the story this time around. I honestly want to know, do you think this is how the story should have been told in OG, but they just didn't have the technology to convey the story line as it is today? Or do you think that the Devs are finally filling in the missing pieces.
Honestly I think the idea that they're doing their true vision of the original game is foolhardy now that we know temporal foresight is part of the plot. Honestly I applaud them for not even bothering to recreate the original after 23 years and wildly varying fan expectations to placate and instead doing something like this. It would just turn out "wrong" for too many people. Especially with Episodic storytelling. Because that means you MUST expand on things and are liable to change the overall product beyond just making it bigger.

Reactions: LNK

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
Not really. I thought it made sense that it was about comfort first, and one can easily read romance into just by knowing those two already. And I like the idea of them growing closer rather than it just being assumed they're close. Some call their romance in the original a slowburn and I disagree but now it looks like it is. Assuming they don't recommit to equal scenes, or if it's just nominally equal scenes, I'd imagine next Episode will be about them growing apart due to the Kalm Flashback. With Tifa feeling gaslighted like crazy. Then Aerith dies and Tifa grows into helping Cloud when he needs it. A good, strong arc for them both. "Yes we may be damaged but... deal with it."

Or a hidden ending, or obscure questline reminiscent of the old hoax Aerith Revival guides

The Nibelheim incident will be interesting character development for the both of them. I am not so sure that Cloud would gaslight Tifa but I do recognize that very well could happen. In previous chapters in the Remake, Tifa has been slowly asking Cloud about after leaving the village, and a couple of scenes were shown in or around that time. So, I think that Cloud is already aware.

It is just that Tifa is going to force Cloud to tell his side of the story and he will have to confront that part of his psyche. It could either like you said tear them apart or bring them even closer together. Depending on how well SE does the story.

Edited to add, I wonder if Tifa will tell Cloud the truth here and there........

Top Bottom