SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Ehhh, I think this is just another one of those vague moments that could go either way. The song title from the soundtrack is "Aerith and Marlene - A familiar flower."

Marlene doesn't specifically say that the flower was given to Tifa. She just calls it "our flower." Maybe Aerith thinks it was given to Marlene

Yeah, it's just the way she stops cold with a lot of visual distance, like something's hitting her. And the note that hits sounds sad to me. Just my opinion though.

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
Ehhh, I think this is just another one of those vague moments that could go either way. The song title from the soundtrack is "Aerith and Marlene - A familiar flower."

Marlene doesn't specifically say that the flower was given to Tifa. She just calls it "our flower." Maybe Aerith thinks it was given to Marlene

Ah, I didn't think of it that way. Perhaps, that could be the case. If we are going by the OG, you can give the flower to Marlene. Nonetheless and through Aerith's eyes, Cloud gave the flower to someone here.

However, take this into consideration as well. During the sequence when Aerith gives Cloud the flower, there is a line that Aerith says, "that you can give the flower to your girlfriend, it will make her day."

so yeah there is that too. I think I have played this game way too much!:D

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Yeah, it's just the way she stops cold with a lot of visual distance, like something's hitting her. And the note that hits sounds sad to me. Just my opinion though.
I'm team Tifa, so I agree haha. I just also can see how team Aerith might not think the same

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
just to circle back to some earlier posts about the soundtrack, which track title is meant to be the romantic one for the dance battle? (i think the three parts are 'funk with me' 'sync or swim' and 'vibe valentino') the valentino one?

billy22

Pro Adventurer
Alright, so you are using Aerith's urgency to get out to diminish that scene. If that is the case then why in the world did Aerith stay in the bar for so long.
Bad writing. Which dunkey's video review highlighted.

They wanted a character moment between Aerith and Marlene, and this was the only time to do it. That was all. Cloud isn't mentioned at all in the scene, and Tifa's name is only brought up to break the ice between the two. Since Marlene has no idea who she is.

Seriously, not everything- or even half of the things in this game for that matter- needs to be turned into a 'ship moment.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Ah, I didn't think of it that way. Perhaps, that could be the case. If we are going by the OG, you can give the flower to Marlene. Nonetheless and through Aerith's eyes, Cloud gave the flower to someone here.

However, take this into consideration as well. During the sequence when Aerith gives Cloud the flower, there is a line that Aerith says, "that you can give the flower to your girlfriend, it will make her day."

so yeah there is that too. I think I have played this game way too much!:D

Just realized that's part of the dialogue if you refuse Aerith's flower. Hadn't tried that yet.

I'm loving this honeymoon period where everything's still new. It's nice to be able to discover things again.

billy22 said:
Seriously, not everything- or even half of the things in this game for that matter- needs to be turned into a 'ship' moment.

I felt that way about the original, but I'm seeing the "moments" turned up like crazy this time around. Again, just my opinion.

Enthralled

Pro Adventurer
AKA
a dude
I see your point.
I guess the childhood friend love story you feel is kinda of a cheap plot point that is over used. A true and tried trope that is in most JRPG storytelling in one way of the other. I can agree to that! Absolutely. Like I said above that is one of my favorite types of storytelling.
It's a lot of things which while not inherent to telling that story are commonly associated. It's really a problem when it's a "childhood friend" versus "girl who changes MC's life" deal. Because the latter is what actually moves the story. This is less a problem with ff7 even though the two girls easily fall into each camp because Tifa does do some stuff to change Cloud's life and Aerith is always somehow connected to him in each iteration (Zack, I think kh had them as childhood sweethearts but idc, and now time travel esp) so there's a mix of familiarity/comfort + challenge with either of them.

Edit: thanks for making me tear up again haha
That flower's meaning is very malleable. So get used to this. I tend to argue it's more about Aerith and Cloud just because it is a flower and her thing is yellow flowers. But it having a dual meaning for Tifa is hardly unreasonable. The Buster Sword has meaning for two characters like that.

billy22

Pro Adventurer
just to circle back to some earlier posts about the soundtrack, which track title is meant to be the romantic one for the dance battle? (i think the three parts are 'funk with me' 'sync or swim' and 'vibe valentino') the valentino one?
All three, just at different stages of teh sex

First: 'Let's ease into this, it's your first time.'
Second: 'Let's make this special and romantic.'
Last: 'Let's speed it up and get wild and crazy.'

Eerie

Fire and Blood
To me that flower connects Cloud, Aerith and Tifa. I find that nice. Because Cloud gives the flower to Tifa and they hug in a field of those flowers, it can be used for them. And it can be used for clerith too because Aerith gives it to Cloud. It's all symbolism but then again, the devs took care that you can't argue for one more than the other so to me, it ties the three characters nicely.

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
Just realized that's part of the dialogue if you refuse Aerith's flower. Hadn't tried that yet.

I'm loving this honeymoon period where everything's still new. It's nice to be able to discover things again.

I felt that way about the original, but I'm seeing the "moments" turned up like crazy this time around. Again, just my opinion.

I love that about these types of games. If you go back and play them there is a lot to discover that you could have easily missed during your first play through.

Enthralled

Pro Adventurer
AKA
a dude
To me that flower connects Cloud, Aerith and Tifa. I find that nice. Because Cloud gives the flower to Tifa and they hug in a field of those flowers, it can be used for them. And it can be used for clerith too because Aerith gives it to Cloud. It's all symbolism but then again, the devs took care that you can't argue for one more than the other so to me, it ties the three characters nicely.
and the flower picking, talking, and following-the-yellow-flowers stuff.

As Billy said, all 3. It's about a rise in feeling. Like a rise in her cheers and excitement.

It's like when an author has a guy and woman share a dinner together and they slather it with impressions of an ever-rising engrossment in the evening before they end up tired or finished with it all. Doesn't quite go that far but pretty much the same idea.

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
Bad writing. Which dunkey's video review highlighted.

They wanted a character moment between Aerith and Marlene, and this was the only time to do it. That was all. Cloud isn't mentioned at all in the scene, and Tifa's name is only brought up to break the ice between the two. Since Marlene has no idea who she is.

Seriously, not everything- or even half of the things in this game for that matter- needs to be turned into a 'ship moment.

That is thing, I was not trying to say that is a ship moment, and I can see why someone would see it that way as well. (Believe me. Team Tifa!) All I said is that is when Aerith realized the importance of Tifa in Cloud's life. A special person. That is all I am saying. It is up to the player to decide if it falls into their category.

Someone being special to someone else isn't always about romance. I think this has been beaten over my head on this forum. LoL.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
That's a good point! But, Cloud didn't, and still doesn't have a girlfriend. Unless, she already has pre knowledge of Cloud and Tifa's relationship, she could've just been trying to be funny. Or she was trying to see how Cloud would answer that

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
That's a good point! But, Cloud didn't, and still doesn't have a girlfriend. Unless, she already has pre knowledge of Cloud and Tifa's relationship, she could've just been trying to be funny. Or she was trying to see how Cloud would answer that

Damn it! You took the teeth right out of that one.

You are absolutely correct. ;) Hey whose side are you on anyways. :lol::lol::lol:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
It's a lot of things which while not inherent to telling that story are commonly associated. It's really a problem when it's a "childhood friend" versus "girl who changes MC's life" deal. Because the latter is what actually moves the story. This is less a problem with ff7 even though the two girls easily fall into each camp because Tifa does do some stuff to change Cloud's life and Aerith is always somehow connected to him in each iteration (Zack, I think kh had them as childhood sweethearts but idc, and now time travel esp) so there's a mix of familiarity/comfort + challenge with either of them.

That flower's meaning is very malleable. So get used to this. I tend to argue it's more about Aerith and Cloud just because it is a flower and her thing is yellow flowers. But it having a dual meaning for Tifa is hardly unreasonable. The Buster Sword has meaning for two characters like that.
Oh, I'm not saying it doesn't have two meanings. Which is why I said people can look at it differently from both perspectives.

And I think Aerith's thing is that specific yellow flower. Not all yellow flowers

Enthralled

Pro Adventurer
AKA
a dude
too many notifications but if you wish...hm, a lot of noise and anger at what I think are blaise statements but to answer the relevant: yes when you keep cutting back to something or someone visually it's meant to establish their significance to a scene or event. Persistent cuts back to them also gives a sense of something rising or intensifying too. And an esoteric reading to the contrary of that should be more convincing than what was offerred. Not really worth it. I'd say again the fact this was upvoted is just bizarre. It imposes no real challenge.

You are welcome to tell me why they cut back to Aerith and gave her a prominent role in instigating this dance-off if we are to glean nothing from their relationship from it.

So, wait. I am truly lost and confused. That whole 1 hour conversation with this guy was because of upvotes on this forum? If that is the case that seems rather petty to be honest. I was being accused as a bully and ganging up on another person because I didn't agree about what what he was saying? So in return, This guy decided to really lay it on thick to me as payback. It wasn't a genuine conversation?

Burn the new person, he is the easiest target. I guess it is easiest to put all the blame on me.
You could also just ask me. Upvotes were part of it but simply just that I can tell when arbitrariness is rewarded for one litigant and not the other, particularly when that other is offering uncontroversial takes about how scenes prominently featuring 2 characters can offer insight on them. And I stand by that entirely. I don't particularly care if I got "burned" while I slept so don't worry. I doubt any of it really passes muster. The post I was asked to review did not after all.

Oh, I'm not saying it doesn't have two meanings. Which is why I said people can look at it differently from both perspectives.

And I think Aerith's thing is that specific yellow flower. Not all yellow flowers
Did not say you were, sorry. Just thought it useful to elaborate and give a comparable example that everyone seems to agree on.

Last edited:

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
too many notifications but if you wish...hm, a lot of noise and anger at what I think are blaise statements but you yes when you keep cutting back to something or someone visually it's meant to establish their significance to a scene or event. And an esoteric reading to the contrary of that should be more convincing than what was offerred. Not really worth it. I'd say again the fact this was upvoted is just bizarre. It imposes no real challenge.

You could also just ask me. Upvotes were part of it but simply just that I can tell when arbitrariness is rewarded for one litigant and not the other. And I stand by that entirely. I don't particularly care if I got "burned" while I slept so don't worry. I doubt any of it really passes muster.

Did not say you weren't. Just thought it useful to elaborate and give a comparable example that everyone seems to agree on.

Look, last night wasn't my proudest moment on the forums. I caught on maybe a bit to late, on what you were trying to do. I want you to know that I wasn't ganging up on that person. I was just presenting counterpoints to his points. However, it seemed like he didn't want to hear my points. I took his point on board. I was never hiding that I have a huge bias towards Tifa. However, I do acknowledge that there are points where Aerith shippers point of view as well. I mean just the very fact that this forum exists, is that we all love and cherish this game, and we can all have different point of views but it works both ways. Both parties has to be willing to listen to the others points and not try to diminish each other. WIth that person I didn't feel that was happening on his part.

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
Look, last night wasn't my proudest moment on the forums. I caught on maybe a bit to late, on what you were trying to do. I want you to know that I wasn't ganging up on that person. I was just presenting counterpoints to his points. However, it seemed like he didn't want to hear my points. I took his point on board. I was never hiding that I have a huge bias towards Tifa. However, I do acknowledge that there are points where Aerith shippers point of view as well. I mean just the very fact that this forum exists, is that we all love and cherish this game, and we can all have different point of views but it works both ways. Both parties has to be willing to listen to the others points and not try to diminish each other. WIth that person I didn't feel that was happening on his part.

Enough about all that, lets talk more about the real reason everyone is here Tifa and Cloud!. ;);)

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
*Aerith and Cloud. Fixed it for ya lol

It was already correct. :)

What do you think about how Jessie was presented in the first half. I think Jessie might of beat out Tifa and Aerith if she was still alive. She was aggressive flirtatious toward Cloud the entire time!

Top Bottom