SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

JaeKony

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JaeKony
Marlene says "yeah he likes Cloud.. but only because you're not there.."
Meaning because he's not physically there and main reason why Aerith likes him.
To be fair the actual exchange (at least in English) goes something like this:

Zack: Does Aerith have feelings for Cloud?

Marlene: Yea. She likes him.

Zack (lip quivering): She does, huh? Can’t say I saw that coming.

Marlene: ‘Cause you weren’t there!

So the way it is structured is probably open to interpretation. Although, even Aerith herself later clarifies to Cloud during their church scene that she herself doesn’t know if what she feels for him is genuine. (There’s liking someone and liking someone)

shady

Pro Adventurer
I'm not a therapist but Aerith using Cloud to recreate her date with Zack doesn't scream to me a girl over her ex.
The vibes were way off with the both of them towards the end to be honest..

The S5 date, Zack recreation or not, goes horribly wrong at every turn regardless, Aerith says it's like her dream world so why shouldn't everything go as well as she wants it to with the NPC's? Unless her subconscious is sabotaging it or something?

The Church scene Aerith says well I guess I know where we stand then, she then proceeds to tell Cloud she likes him but there's a difference between liking and liking and Cloud says she's acting weird... it's strange it hardly comes across as one of the greatest love confessions ever, Aerith doesn't even seem to know where she stands herself exactly on how she feels about him, nevermind where they stand exactly.

The end bits specifically are all over the places, sometimes you get a nice moment between the two and then the next they are being really creepy as hell? Like the expressions on their faces, their actions and even their really creepy smiles just seemed... I dunno there was something really off. Wish there was more info to be gleamed, because even outside of the LTD or romance that whole ending sequence was just... yeah

Maidenofwar

They/Them
She was not "using" Cloud.
She was hiding in another world because of danger, she didn't create it"

Anyway I finally watched that cutscene on YouTube, and it actually wasn't as bad,
Cloud actually smiles at Aerith and does poses with her. The NPCs there thank them and say if only we could all have more time, it's a message since the loss of Aerith is coming up

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
The S5 date, Zack recreation or not, goes horribly wrong at every turn regardless, Aerith says it's like her dream world so why shouldn't everything go as well as she wants it to with the NPC's? Unless her subconscious is sabotaging it or something?

My take is same with @eleamaya its her subconscious mind telling her its not true. But since she's kinda aware that it will be the last time she tried to recreate the most happiest moment she have and i guess that's her 'date with Zack'

Zack died and dissapeared she's aware he's gone but didn't get closure she needed. She felt him ( or the attraction? if you call it attraction to be honest I'm still puzzled bec i feel this is JENOVA ) I guess with Cloud ( same gestures... soldier first class) although i guess she's would like to move on to a new love but its one step forward and two steps back.

Don't fall in love with me
Even if you think you have its not true.
- this is a message to herself.

The pink ribbon cannot be replaced she can only have a brooch w/c is different.

JaeKony

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JaeKony
She was not "using" Cloud.
She was hiding in another world because of danger, she didn't create it"

Anyway I finally watched that cutscene on YouTube, and it actually wasn't as bad,
Cloud actually smiles at Aerith and does poses with her. The NPCs there thank them and say if only we could all have more time, it's a message since the loss of Aerith is coming up
Yea, there are definitely moments of Cloud’s caring and soft side interspersed with his “wtf is going on” side, but I do side with the interpretation of @thetriplerhyme in the sense that the dream sequence serves as a farewell.

Regardless of affinity with Aerith, she ends the dream by acknowledging that she likes Cloud in a different way from how she likes Zack (verbally AND symbolically with the pink ribbon and pin).

I think you bring up a good connection with the candy shop NPC making a note about “wanting more time“ and how it reflects Aerith’s inner desires.

She really does want to meet the real Cloud, but that’s she has another responsibility as a Cetra so it’s not meant to be.

Maidenofwar

They/Them
It's literally another world and she says she really really likes him, I think it's more falling in love via already having a love. There is no conflict of ribbon and pin, Cloud was trying to pick a comb.

This is the real sector 5, in another world.

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
On the ending:

Im inclined to believe that Cloud isnt seeing Aerith because he's crazy. Nanaki was able to sense Aerith when she touched him. Rather, that is literally Aerith's ghost. And she's going to pass on to the lifestream or body hop into Zack's timeline now.

As for Cloud, he is going crazy. But like it happens long before the ending sequence. He starts quoting Sephiroth and even fighting like Sephiroth throughout the game. Tifa picks up on all of this. She and Barret notices that he's a bit too chill about Aerith's death. All is probably heading towards Cloud's final breakdown at the Northern Crater. Cloud will probably talk about how Aerith just went home and isnt dead, and the party will call him out on it.
Aerith ask Cloud to not look up the sky. And I think this is because she'll be taken there... just like her farewell monologue.

"I hate the sky, it carries away everyone I Iove."
(This fits Remake ending, the devs update the localization line from "I missed it, the steel sky" to match JP script "The sky, I dont like it" and Nomura explain the reason, 1 of 3, is because Zack and her mom are carried away. Cinematic shot show us Zack just passes her. 2 of 3 is because the sky is covered by Shinra's plate in Midgar, this fits the localization one. And last reason is because Jenova is Calamity from the sky, hinting their unknown journey to stop them.)

"You're so far now. I'm so far from you.
Oh, I'm rising. The sky is carrying me away.
I can see you, you're crying. Don't cry, you'll make it rain."

(This fits Rebitrh ending, everyone is mourning)

So I agree with you that it's really her spirit who talk to Cloud, as Nanaki also feels her presence. While other cannot see, Cloud dont believe it but keep seeing her. That's why he said to Barret that seeing Aerith is just an illusion of his mind, when it's actually real.

Marlene says "yeah he likes Cloud.. but only because you're not there.."
Meaning because he's not physically there and main reason why Aerith likes him.
JP script is this btw:

エアリスは クラウドのことが好きなのか?Aerith… Does she have feelings for Cloud?
うん きっとねYeah. I'm sure of it.
そうか それは ひゅ~ひゅ~だなIs that so… Couple of lovebirds, huh?
ひゅ~ひゅ~!That's right!

But I have question above that you may answer.

Attachments

• 1709194140461.png
    1709194140461.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • 1709194467037.png
    1709194467037.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:

JaeKony

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JaeKony
It's literally another world and she says she really really likes him, I think it's more falling in love via already having a love. There is no conflict of ribbon and pin, Cloud was trying to pick a comb.

This is the real sector 5, in another world.
Oh my bad, dream world…alternate reality…whatever it ends up being when they explain it in Part 3, I think it’s still a pretty firm “Goodbye” from Aerith to Cloud

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
i wanna hear the answer to "Zack's world" but I'm literally confused on that part I get it that there's a huge connection on how because of 'whispers" in remake they survive but none make sense to me.

I'm just enjoying seeing Zack fair and Biggs talk bout cloud in two different timeline.

Maidenofwar

They/Them
Why do you all keep talking about a ribbon? In the cutscene I watched, there was no ribbon. PS there was no rejecting of Cloud over Aerith, he reaches out to her as he falls.

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
JP script is this btw:

エアリスは クラウドのことが好きなのか?Aerith… Does she have feelings for Cloud?
うん きっとねYeah. I'm sure of it.
そうか それは ひゅ~ひゅ~だなIs that so… Couple of lovebirds, huh?
ひゅ~ひゅ~!That's right!

But I have question above that you may answer.

- I see didnt know about JP localization ( but this is marlene.. i mean she's 4 how can she understood Aerith interpretation of 'like'
Question what is the correct translation of Aerith's line after Cloud said "Nakama" ( the different kind of liking part?)

- if its the same point with ENG ( Sena didnt messed up ) it mean just Marlene never understood Aerith's like feelings and hence a child conveying information to Zack.
==============

Eitherway my take to it is Aerith didnt actually fell for Cloud ( the way she loved Zack ) its a different kind of love ~ and I also agree with this one

I think you bring up a good connection with the candy shop NPC making a note about “wanting more time“ and how it reflects Aerith’s inner desires.

She really does want to meet the real Cloud, but that’s she has another responsibility as a Cetra so it’s not meant to be.

She wants more time as giving her more time would probably help her move on and see "real cloud" but fate is not on her favor. When she wakes up on that 'dream" its back to reality --> her job as cetra and feelings for Zack is still there as she still wears PINK RIBBON.

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
btw I'm a die hard cloti but I like Zerith too ( not because to take Aerith off list but Zack is just freakin awesome )

In ENG Localization Cloud "Our Spot" on last dream date with Aerith ( HEEEEEY!! THAT'S NOT 'YOUR SPOT its Zack's) sorry just have to say

Hix

Pro Adventurer
Why do you all keep talking about a ribbon? In the cutscene I watched, there was no ribbon. PS there was no rejecting of Cloud over Aerith, he reaches out to her as he falls.

I'm not sure Cloud reaching out while falling is evidence of anything romantic at all. I can think of at least two more simple explanations that fit better with the context;
1. Reaching out to someone would be a natural natural response when one falls
2. He was falling because Sephiroth was coming to kill Aerith at that moment

In any case, the point is less whether Cloud actually rejects Aerith - Cloud in fact, is exceptionally confused and doesn't fully appear to be aware what's going on, certainly not in the headspace for romance - but what Aerith is feeling about it all. The whole meaning and intent behind this entire sequence seems to be Aerith trying to work out how she feels about Cloud.

It seems to me that the scene gives her some closure, as she says "now I know where we stand". This is punctuated by the sequence being overlayed symbolically on the Crisis Core Sector 5 date and how Cloud could not take the place of Zack, so it ends somewhat melancholic but also with a sense of hope for the future.

All that is to say that, it's obvious Aerith likes Cloud and she says as much, but are the feelings the same as they were with Zack? I think the answer, by the end, is no.

Last edited:

Maidenofwar

They/Them
Well I'm not saying it's necessarily romantic, but the way he did it didn't seem like a response from someone cruelly rejecting someone.

I'd say it'd be a huge assassination of Aerith's character of Aerith genuinely crushing on Cloud, like from OG, to her doing it all just to work out feelings.

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme

in JP localization
When they arrived at the church when

Cloud said " Well, you have to give me a harder one next time"

Oh next time?

I mean, why not? ( in JP he used term "Nakama" / we're friends) [ nakama (仲間) means colleague, compatriot, friend or comrade ]

Hence why Aerith said " At least I know now-where you and I stand, I mean"

------------------
but what I really like after is probably because Cloud is being forward - Aerith said she likes Cloud but likes can mean different things ( which means she likes Cloud but not same as she likes Zack ) w/c explains why her dream date is like that ..

Its not same person.

- but honestly I feel bad for Aerith on that date ( somehow) well she's happy so why not ~ I mean CLOUD CALLED HER WEIRD 2X?
She hated above all things to be called weird...
------------------

SENA just sucks really ~ they should have properly translate them

Last edited:
Reactions: Hix

Maidenofwar

They/Them
I really don't think Nakama is such a huge deal, Cloud calls Tifa Nakama too.

He doesnt call her weird, he's saying things are strange because she's acting differently and it's not her, and they are because
they are in a weird dying world, it's literally an alternate reality that is ending, Cloud senses there is something off with this place and Aerith behaviour

Edit; I shouldn't call the other world weird either Dx, I'm sure the others in that world wouldn't appreciate getting their world called weird either, they're just trying to carry on as normal even though the world is ending.

Edit 2; Aerith says this is "My dream", but part of it is her saying this, because I don't think she wants to disturb Cloud further and potentially freak him out by showing him the full truth of that world and everything really going on, the end of the Temple of the Ancient events in Rebirth also go towards explaining this.

Last edited:

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
I really don't think Nakama is such a huge deal, Cloud calls Tifa Nakama too.

He doesnt call her weird, he's saying things are strange because she's acting differently and it's not her, and they are because
they are in a weird dying world, it's literally an alternate reality that is ending, Cloud senses there is something off with this place and Aerith behaviour

- AHH i heard and seen this argument before --> Tifa is never called a NAKAMA - she's 幼なじみ ( Osananajimi ) - which has romantic inclination

- he literally calls her weird before buying the 'brooch' - and before the last hug ( you've been weird all day )

Maidenofwar

They/Them
No, he doesn't.

If you want to think Cloud is calling Aerith weird as in weird person, that's your perogative though.

Stop being weird, you've been acting weird not "You are weird" It's not her, it's the situation. He points out she's not acting like herself, if anything it's because he doesn't think she is weird.

Last edited:

Rose Alive

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Always hungry
My copy isn't getting delivered until tomorrow. :( I hope everyone is having fun playing!

I've been watching some cutscenes to tide me over. Not the ending though, because I want the full emotional impact. And I haven't seen the dream date yet either, but I did watch all the GS skywheel dates.

They were all so well done! I loved Yuffie acting like a little sister and Cloud playing around with her. She talks about him and Tifa, and her own little crush on Zack. How can we not crush on Zack?? He's awesome!

I always love Barret and Cloud's talks. He gave him really good advice. And seeing Red act like a puppy was adorable! I'm not used to his real voice though. It was quite jarring. Now the date with Vincent, Cait, and Cid? I was literally laughing. Vincent fell asleep and it made me want to hug the devs.

Ok, now the Aerith and Tifa dates. They were both well done. The difference between them was night and day. Aerith's was so bittersweet. When Aerith fell into him and they both moved away, I thought it conveyed things to the audience well. Like it could have been, but it just can't. Aerith is still not over Zack, and also because of Cloud's very obvious feelings for Tifa. But him holding her hand was very sweet and it was kind of him to comfort her that way.

The Tifa date?? I still can't believe it. She was watching the fireworks, but he was watching her. And the hesitancy in her voice and body language, and then Cloud reaching for her. Then  he kissed her!! And their awkwardness afterward!! So cute! I might have to watch it a few more times. :lol:

I couldn't help myself. I had to look at the the comments. And oh wow, the things people tell themselves and others. It only goes to show that the ltd will never end for some because they just don't see the story the way it's being presented to them.

The most common ones I kept seeing were:

1. It was a rebound kiss. Cloud only kissed Tifa after concluding Aerith still has feelings for Zack.

2. Aerith's scene was more romantic because hand-holding is more romantic than a kiss.

3. It was out of character for Cloud to kiss Tifa.

4. None of the dates are canon, and it was all just fanservice.

Ummmm. All the dates are canon. Just like the resolution scenes. They all fit together cohesively and don't contradict one another. The devs want you to see them all.

And come on---if the shoe was on the other foot, and Cloud had kissed Aerith, would their argument still be that hand-holding is more romantic? I think not.

No more cutscenes for me though! No more! Well, I did watch the almost kiss in Gongaga. But now really no more! :P

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
They were all so well done! I loved Yuffie acting like a little sister and Cloud playing around with her. She talks about him and Tifa, and her own little crush on Zack. How can we not crush on Zack?? He's awesome!

- I WAS SURPRISED on Yuffie's little crush on Zack's it was cute!!

1. It was a rebound kiss. Cloud only kissed Tifa after concluding Aerith still has feelings for Zack.

- aww come-on this is a stretch claim by CA its useless to even argue~ #cloti is just happy on our content and our greatest moment is not even on this game ~ hehe

A-to-Z

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Well I'm not saying it's necessarily romantic, but the way he did it didn't seem like a response from someone cruelly rejecting someone.

I'd say it'd be a huge assassination of Aerith's character of Aerith genuinely crushing on Cloud, like from OG, to her doing it all just to work out feelings.
I think labeling the concept of aerith figuring out her feelings as “character assassination” is a huge exaggeration. It’s not like her entire character revolves around her romantic interests, anyway. Would you have preferred it if was even more ambiguous?

faefolk

Pro Adventurer

I mean, you have to admit that date was wack? It was so incredibly uncomfortable and the NPCs were being weird and Cloud was uncomfortable at several points. I'm super curious what the ultimania says about this sequence because it was utterly bizarre to me.

Top Bottom