SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
At the end of the day the Ultimania’s wouldn’t need to exist if the majority of the audience in the fandom were able to put everything together themselves
Man, maybe it's true that people nowadays can't see/read what's in front of them :mon:

No see, Cloud called the drink beautiful /s.

And yeah they did use the shot of the fist bump pre-release iirc as some "proof" of them friendzoning each other.
This is always hilarious to me. I have never heard a normal person call a drink beautiful accompanied with the same gesture as Cloud's.
And as someone whose partner is also my best friend, I find the idea that Cloud and Tifa being friends means they can't be lovers telling. Honestly, I'd wager that none of them have been in a relationship before, or at least a functional one.

"Because the developers felt they had to give Tifa something" -the best cope response to this I've heard thus far.
Mood :awesome:
It would be believable if they didn't then proceed to posit that Aerith takes Tifa's place, essentially.

Out of curiosity, what would you guys say constitutes an extremist for either side? Since I don't think the debate is equal (at all) I don't think that an extremist belief on one side would necessarily count as an extremist belief on the other.
To put it as short as I can, anyone who finds the need to demonize either girl. Preferences aside, they're both good people (or at least meant to be), so anyone portraying their actions as malicious in any way strikes me as an extremist.

Naturally, there are going to be more Aerith extremists rather than Tifa ones. For the simple fact that if Cloud loves both, then Tifa wins the love triangle. There's no Aerith endgame. In order to even headcanon one, you must first assume that Cloud isn't happy with Tifa and is saving himself for Aerith's ghost. The problem is that Tifa has the rest of their adult lives to seduce Cloud again, and Tifa looks like Tifa.
This reminds me of what my partner said when I said FF7 has a waifu war: "Why? One of them's dead. Isn't that case closed?"

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
The going trend is that it's ok for villains and some anti-heroes to smoke, but straight up good guys? That's a no no.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
Showing an abdomen stab would not really hurt the T-rating since it happens to Cloud a lot
A bit of a story spoiler not related to the LTD:
Speaking of stabs, was i the only one a bit disappointed seeing smoke come back when Tseng got stabbed? Dunno why they did it again there.

Rose Alive

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Always hungry
I do not believe Cloud had any romantic feelings for Aerith.
You and I agree. I wasn't sure until Rebirth, but they've made it pretty clear so far in the differences with how he treats Tifa and Aerith. I do believe he thinks she's very pretty though, as shown in the red dress scene. And of course, she is. Which is why when everyone was trolling her about her appearance in Wallmarket, I'm like you all are just jealous because she's pretty.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Preferences aside, they're both good people (or at least meant to be), so anyone portraying their actions as malicious in any way strikes me as an extremist.
My husband isn't a shipper by any mean but after watching a lot of streamers as well as my game, he absolutely sees Aerith as manipulative. And I think given our background of knowing a guy who did go after his friends' girlfriends, that's fair (none of us could stand that guy, for reference, he gave me the creeps). I'm more lenient on Aerith because I know the lore and that the devs don't want to portray her in a bad light but this opus does not paint her in a good light if you don't take the time to analyse her character, which most people just don't do.

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
You and I agree. I wasn't sure until Rebirth, but they've made it pretty clear so far in the differences with how he treats Tifa and Aerith. I do believe he thinks she's very pretty though, as shown in the red dress scene. And of course, she is. Which is why when everyone was trolling her about her appearance in Wallmarket, I'm like you all are just jealous because she's pretty.
I think the issue here is if you say "Cloud and Aerith had a special bond," those people automatically assume it has to be romantic. Nevermind that having a more-than-friends-but-not-romantic relationship with someone is completely possible.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I think the issue here is if you say "Cloud and Aerith had a special bond," those people automatically assume it has to be romantic. Nevermind that having a more-than-friends-but-not-romantic relationship with someone is completely possible.
Yeah, I can definitely see it being a “more than friends, less than lovers” sorta thing.

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
My husband isn't a shipper by any mean but after watching a lot of streamers as well as my game, he absolutely sees Aerith as manipulative. And I think given our background of knowing a guy who did go after his friends' girlfriends, that's fair (none of us could stand that guy, for reference, he gave me the creeps). I'm more lenient on Aerith because I know the lore and that the devs don't want to portray her in a bad light but this opus does not paint her in a good light if you don't take the time to analyse her character, which most people just don't do.
Agreed. I'm still having troubles dealing with the writing for Aerith because....I had a friend before in a similar situation. Her boyfriend was a pretty social person and a lot of gals gave him passes (he did have the looks) even though they know he's spoken for. But at least Aerith never did what they did: trash talk my friend to her boyfriend within earshot.

insanehobbit

Pro Adventurer
I think we'll see the OG death scene/Cloud lowering her body into the lake if only because the latter is a flashback in ACC. My thought is that we'll see it post-Lifestream sequence, during the return to the Forgotten Capital. Similar to how in the OG, if you go back to Nibelheim post-Lifestream, you see how Zack really died, because it's only after Cloud's mind is "fixed" that he can accept his death/recount what actually happen. I imagine Aerith's death will get the same treatment in part 3 to further parallel the impact those two deaths had on Cloud.

Speaking of high fives, the Cloud/Tifa high five in Rebirth has got to be the devs trolling certain CA fans, no? Like it's almost a shot for shot recreation of the Cloud/Aerith high five in the Wall Market in Remake, and while that one got buildup from the whole robot hand thing, there's almost no other high fiving in Rebirth, so I can't see this as anything but a stupid easter egg for people like us. Which, as funny as it is, these people should not be spending that much time on Twitter!! Do your jobs!

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I think we'll see the OG death scene/Cloud lowering her body into the lake if only because the latter is a flashback in ACC. My thought is that we'll see it post-Lifestream sequence, during the return to the Forgotten Capital. Similar to how in the OG, if you go back to Nibelheim post-Lifestream, you see how Zack really died, because it's only after Cloud's mind is "fixed" that he can accept his death/recount what actually happen. I imagine Aerith's death will get the same treatment in part 3 to further parallel the impact those two deaths had on Cloud.

Speaking of high fives, the Cloud/Tifa high five in Rebirth has got to be the devs trolling certain CA fans, no? Like it's almost a shot for shot recreation of the Cloud/Aerith high five in the Wall Market in Remake, and while that one got buildup from the whole robot hand thing, there's almost no other high fiving in Rebirth, so I can't see this as anything but a stupid easter egg for people like us. Which, as funny as it is, these people should not be spending that much time on Twitter!! Do your jobs!
I only remember the fist bump, where did they high five?

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
I think we'll see the OG death scene/Cloud lowering her body into the lake if only because the latter is a flashback in ACC. My thought is that we'll see it post-Lifestream sequence, during the return to the Forgotten Capital. Similar to how in the OG, if you go back to Nibelheim post-Lifestream, you see how Zack really died, because it's only after Cloud's mind is "fixed" that he can accept his death/recount what actually happen. I imagine Aerith's death will get the same treatment in part 3 to further parallel the impact those two deaths had on Cloud
That just gave me flashbacks of the end of...House M.D. Season...5, think?
Brrrr... seeing the hallucinations versus the actual rundown of events was chilling.

starcape91

Pro Adventurer
AKA
starcape91

Returning to the Forgotten Capital and Nibelheim would be great post Lifestream. Maybe the party walks Cloud through these areas so he can relive these memories. The Forgotten Capital for himself, and relay what happened with Zack at Nibelheim to the rest of the party. Also, it would be an opportunity for them to give us the dang upstairs to Shinra Manor and the spiral staircase. I NEED IT!

Edit: About the high five. I was wondering, does that change depending on who your date is? I know that who fights in the Coliseum changes depending on who your date is, but I don't know if that culminates in any changes in the cutscenes.

liuliuliu

Pro Adventurer
I still think rebirth Aerith is doing fine…Maybe a little bit of invading personal space but they are fictional characters and some social rules in real life doesn’t hold for fictional characters. If everyone behaves like a respectful and polite Japanese in real life, the story won’t progress without them bowing and apologizing pretty much after each line.
And not going against English VAs since they are great, but Japanese VAs do bring out more of the character

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
"Because the developers felt they had to give Tifa something" -the best cope response to this I've heard thus far.
Incredible copium.

Why doesn't he try to kill Tifa directly then like he does with Aerith?
I don't think Riftiroth can. He can only act through Cloud. Both the Black and White whispers don't interact directly with living people other than Cloud. They only interact with Tifa through an intermediary and nobody else in Gongaga.

View attachment 14975
I don't remember where this image came from, but basically:
  • Tifa and Aerith were one character. This girl had Tifa's looks and name, but Aerith's backstory and personality. When it was decided they were going to kill off "Tifa," they split the character in two, because they wanted a heroine present for the latter half of the story. Thus, "Aerith" was born, with a new design but the original personality/backstory, while "Tifa" retained her name and appearance but was given a different personality to contrast.
  • Barret was named "Blow."
  • Reno and Rude had their names reversed.
  • Sephiroth looked closer to Vincent and was related to Aerith/Tifa iirc.
I think Tifareth may have also been the childhood friend character as well, but this was also just after the Joe in NYC phase when Jenova was a mental state like Super Saiyan.

Honestly, I don't like how they did the Tifa slash. Should have been MUCH more severe. The way I imagined it when reading Totp was gruesome. Her rehabilitation and the description of the required procedure made it seems like, well, like it would make sense for Cloud to go "she obviously died, there's NO WAY anyone could live that". But the injury in Rebirth was more like "well, that would require some stiches sure but you could probably finish your shift first". I have no idea why Cloud would think that would kill her.
It might have been that the most fatal thing was blood loss. The abdoment under the ribs is chock full of vitals and lots of major blood vessels.

So, I'm on a smartphone and cba to edit a large post into a manageable quote, plus it feels unnecessary since it's mostly just been good thoughts I can just like and move on in here. But as Ryu's Pedantry Protege, I have to ask... Were we being serious 3ish pages back when Tifa was referred to as a "normal girl who knows a bit of martial arts" or was that humorous downplaying? Because Tifa is, according to recent materials, a master of martial arts who has adapted Zangans teachings to her own body and methods so thoroughly it's not really his style anymore. She doesn't even want to finish her training under him, she wants to fight him to test herself/her style against him/his :awesome:
I took it as humorous contrast with last of her kind halfbreed special destiny lady.

They're not dating lol she got married in December :) but they both like Cloti that is true.
Thank you. I must have gotten mixed up somewhere.

I think they did it that specific way for Gongaga, so we could see that this move Cloud did was specifically Sephiroth's. It's even more damning as as she falls in the mako pool is exactly the same as she falls in those stairs.
But she could see it coming and knew how to dodge this time.

Also I'm a pretty extremist CT in that, I do not believe Cloud had any romantic feelings for Aerith. Any attraction was killed on spot by him remembering Zack loved her. The story also does not work if he falls for her. He's a 100% Tifa man and SE has been pretty clear that he's loyal to Tifa too since that promise (personally my take is that CA was not possible as soon as the Mt Nibel fall happened and we're probably going to see that in the Lifestream scene). If you look at the GS play, this is extremely visible in how he handles both girls during the swirl.

However, I do believe they have a deep bond (but not soulmate like sorry: if to communicate with him she uses her powers on him, that does not count... Zerith now, that's another level of connection, as well as cloti because well, she visits Cloud's mind, so sorry but SE will never sell me that platonic soulmate CA, it's just not there).
I hold that Cloud may have been attracted to Aerith, but he never shows any signs of being romantically inclined towards her. He is pretty blatantly laser focused, and that's even more apparent in Retrilogy.

And Aerith in her date and church is definitely not "our" Aerith. "Our" Aerith was found fine and awake by the team, it's Cloud who awakes later on, once he's been pushed back into "our" world.
Much like I call the time rift Sephiroth Riftiroth, I propose we also make a distinction between Aerith and Aerift.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
“Oh my god! He’s gone Jenova!” The idea that Jenova was previously gonna be the name for a Trance-like state is funny to me.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Returning to the Forgotten Capital and Nibelheim would be great post Lifestream. Maybe the party walks Cloud through these areas so he can relive these memories. The Forgotten Capital for himself, and relay what happened with Zack at Nibelheim to the rest of the party. Also, it would be an opportunity for them to give us the dang upstairs to Shinra Manor and the spiral staircase. I NEED IT!

Edit: About the high five. I was wondering, does that change depending on who your date is? I know that who fights in the Coliseum changes depending on who your date is, but I don't know if that culminates in any changes in the cutscenes.
The high five does not change at all; it is always focused on Tifa and Cloud which makes me think its actually on purpose against the high five romantic stuff claim. I guess some of them are watching these bad takes, Which also explains why so many of Tifas takes were specifically debunked in this game

Axiom

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Axiom
Why doesn't he try to kill Tifa directly then like he does with Aerith?

He tried. But can't. That's what the whole thing with the weapon swallowing Tifa was about. Sephiroth had Cloud push Tifa into the mako tank, but the weapon swallowed her to protect her. So Sephiroth was like "Fine, I'll do it myself". But the planet was like "Nu-uh...We playing for keeps" and the weapon managed to throw Tifa back out.

liuliuliu

Pro Adventurer
The high five does not change at all; it is always focused on Tifa and Cloud which makes me think its actually on purpose against the high five romantic stuff claim. I guess some of them are watching these bad takes, Which also explains why so many of Tifas takes were specifically debunked in this game
There are people who’s job is reading twitter and Reddit and gather all the “feedbacks” to be addressed.

Top Bottom