SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

CldS7

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Luffy76
Right. So why do Aerith and Tifa need equal screentime?

So both of their fans will buy the games

It doesn’t change anything the story is saying

Tifas story and plot is still the same as the OGs

Aeriths story and plot is the same as the OGs

They’re literally just adding more scenes. Not making new plotlines for them

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Right. So why do Aerith and Tifa need equal screentime?
I think the issue is that screentime isn’t referring to romance. The devs said both girls will get equal screentime in Rebirth, which for the most part seems to be true.

It’s not true of the OG since Tifa is mostly in the background during this part. But by technicality it is true for Rebirth.

But yes, at the end of the day… just seems to be PR so I agree there.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
By the way, I actually don’t have what they actually said.

Did they both girls will get equal screentime? Or did they say all the characters will? Or some permutation of that?

What was it that they actually said?

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
They ALL have screen time. Stop this nonsense.

Yuffie got a dungeon. Barret got a dungeon. Red got a dungeon. Tifa got a dungeon. Aerith got a dungeon. FREAKING Cait Sith got a dungeon.

They just wanna make you care for this team. Everyone will shine.
Tbh I think @null understands this. I think they just don’t like the PR metric that the devs provided. Or the need to placate the fans with statements like this.

At least I think that’s what they’re saying.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Tbh I think @null understands this. I think they just don’t like the PR metric that the devs provided. Or the need to placate the fans with statements like this.

At least I think that’s what they’re saying.
And all i'm saying is this is not a PR move.

That's just balance. They developped unique gameplay for each character and want you to use them all. And how you do this ? By making you care about them with equal side quest and screen time.

Don't forget you have an affection system. OF COURSE all the characters need the exact same quantity of stuff for it to be balanced. It's just simple as that guys.

Reminder : Zack has a huge fanbase. What did we see ? Bro has 10 min screentime in the entire game.

PR stuff is for PR. So marketing, trailer yadi yada. I think they don't care for the game and look only to people concerns about gameplay stuff (too linear, bad subquest etc etc..)

Last edited:

CldS7

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Luffy76
And all i'm saying is this is not a PR move.

That's just balance. They developped unique gameplay for each character and want you to use them all. And how you do this ? By making you care about them with equal side quest and screen time.

Don't forget you have an affection system. OF COURSE all the characters need the exact same quantity of stuff for it to be balanced. It's just simple as that guys.

Reminder : Zack has a huge fanbase. What did we see ? Bro has 10 min screentime in the entire game.

PR stuff is for PR. So marketing, trailer yadi yada. I think they don't care for the game except the gameplay stuff people didn't like (too linear, bad subquest etc etc..)

lol exactly they baited Zack and Aerith in about every single trailer

but 10 minutes of Zack gameplay and no reunion at all lol

Hix

Pro Adventurer
So previously we've talked about how fans of CA need to ignore swathes of the lore to avoid uncomfortable questions about the ship. Indeed, it's not unusual to find many Cleriths haven't played Crisis Core at all, some even electing to drop OG after Aerith dies and yet others electing to sit out Advent Children Complete in favor of selected Youtube videos of the cut content. It's a ship that the longer you look into it, the less it makes sense. A very skin deep attraction, anchored on the principal that Cloud and Aerith look good together therefore they should be together. That in and of itself isn't a bad thing, but it isn't enough to contest the narrative as presented on it's own.

In any case, with ZA and CT we've discussed before how one can enjoy the entirety of the franchise unfettered, feeling like the Compilation comes to tie everything together rather than raise questions and appreciate the story the devs gave us - rather than the one we wish they did. The perfect example of this is the Gold Saucer dates in Rebirth.

Everyone, regardless of shipping preferences, should take the time to watch them all as they are all important in some way and aren't in the slightest contradictory. The devs actively encourage viewing them all via chapter select and the way Cloud relates to his friends, all of whom he loves, is important development for him and them. The fact that only one of the dates is unquestionably romantic for both Cloud and the date is not a problem because this scenario does not exist in any of the others. They all have a special place in Cloud's heart, even if only one of them is in an extremely non-platonic way.

However I want to take a step further. I saw some suggesting that this theory would balk at the Aerith as Rosa scenes. I find this quite an extraordinary claim as, nevertheless, Cloud still expresses the hope Tifa will take center stage next time. Nevertheless I feel the idea comes from a mistaken way of looking at the situation.

By this I mean, rather than focus on who is Rosa (be it Aerith, Tifa or Yuffie) the real question we should be asking is, who is Alphreid?

When Aerith plays Rosa, her poetic and moving delivery contrasts wildly with Cloud's awkwardness and inability to deliver the lines in a way that matches her energy. I feel this to be intentional insomuch as it's yet another piece of the Zerith puzzle. For you see, ignoring for a fact that Zack almost certainly would be a more enthusiastic Alphreid, the role was made for him just as in many ways the role of Rosa could be seen to be made for Aerith.

In LOVELESS Zack is established as the hero. The entire poem is coded about his journey through Crisis Core, his role in the poem is central to Genesis's reenactment thereof and even the lyrics - for instance, the oft mis-quoted "Even if the Morrow be devoid of promises, nothing shall forstall my return" appears on Zack's ability Apocalypse - attest to it being a song about him.

Zack is a big ass hero, Aerith is the last cetra and essentially a goddess of her own by the end. Two remarkable superheroes. Yet Final Fantasy VII is not, necessarily, their story. The story is about the dude who failed to become the super soldier and the girl who loves him. Cloud and Tifa are relatively normal, in comparison, yet they are the ones who live on and triumph in the end. They may not be Alphreid and Rosa, but it's even more relatable, more beautiful and inspiring that they aren't.

So then, it follows. Cloud is Alphreid even for Aerith - though it should be Zack - and this falls completely in line with her character arc because it's yet another attempt to force him into Zack's shoes, to try and recreate the magic of the relationship she once had and treasures to this day. Yet, just like in the Sector 5 date - and so many other times to boot - it all doesn't live up to the hype. Cloud can't match her energy, Cloud can't be Zack and that's fine, but it's Zack she wants. It's Alphreid, the hero, that Rosa, the princess, requires.

And so she sings her song, for everyone, and cries a bit. It's understandable, LOVELESS is a sad story in which the heroine is left, as the title suggests, loveless. But Cloud's right there? Why should she be crying? For many reasons I suspect, mourning those she's loved and lost, her loneliness, the fact she'll soon have to say goodbye to her friends and, perhaps, because Cloud isn't her Alphreid.

Cloud and Tifa match energy a lot better as Rosa/Alphreid respectively, which tracks with their own connection. But one can still learn a lot about Aerith's character arc the devs have developed by watching her perform as Rosa also. The same can be said for all the enactments of the play and, indeed, every route in the game. This isn't a choose your own adventure story, but a carefully woven tale that takes many twists and turns but always ends up with the same, beautiful tapestry.

liuliuliu

Pro Adventurer
I kinda disagree.

When Remake released, it was a VERY huge risk to go with this meta ending. With Rebirth, they made some decisions nobody could have predicted (CT kiss)

No, definitely I think they don't care that much about what people are saying. They made this big deal with Sony. Now they're telling what they want.
No, I don’t think the exclusive deal was high on money to pay off the entire game development. Sony will support the development and marketing though, which are actually big deals.

They are still under the pressure that this game needs to sell.

EDIT:in the end part 2 need to be really successful for people to buy part3, where they might be able to just do whatever they want since Nomura and Nojima probably will retire soon anyway. I don’t know what about hamaguchi though.
To be successful doesn’t only mean financially. They have to retain the existing fans of every character, which probably why everyone need to have at least 1 chapter focusing on them. And Zack got a big teaser that he will be around and find a way in pt3

Last edited:

CldS7

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Luffy76
So previously we've talked about how fans of CA need to ignore swathes of the lore to avoid uncomfortable questions about the ship. Indeed, it's not unusual to find many Cleriths haven't played Crisis Core at all, some even electing to drop OG after Aerith dies and yet others electing to sit out Advent Children Complete in favor of selected Youtube videos of the cut content. It's a ship that the longer you look into it, the less it makes sense. A very skin deep attraction, anchored on the principal that Cloud and Aerith look good together therefore they should be together. That in and of itself isn't a bad thing, but it isn't enough to contest the narrative as presented on it's own.

In any case, with ZA and CT we've discussed before how one can enjoy the entirety of the franchise unfettered, feeling like the Compilation comes to tie everything together rather than raise questions and appreciate the story the devs gave us - rather than the one we wish they did. The perfect example of this is the Gold Saucer dates in Rebirth.

Everyone, regardless of shipping preferences, should take the time to watch them all as they are all important in some way and aren't in the slightest contradictory. The devs actively encourage viewing them all via chapter select and the way Cloud relates to his friends, all of whom he loves, is important development for him and them. The fact that only one of the dates is unquestionably romantic for both Cloud and the date is not a problem because this scenario does not exist in any of the others. They all have a special place in Cloud's heart, even if only one of them is in an extremely non-platonic way.

However I want to take a step further. I saw some suggesting that this theory would balk at the Aerith as Rosa scenes. I find this quite an extraordinary claim as, nevertheless, Cloud still expresses the hope Tifa will take center stage next time. Nevertheless I feel the idea comes from a mistaken way of looking at the situation.

By this I mean, rather than focus on who is Rosa (be it Aerith, Tifa or Yuffie) the real question we should be asking is, who is Alphreid?

When Aerith plays Rosa, her poetic and moving delivery contrasts wildly with Cloud's awkwardness and inability to deliver the lines in a way that matches her energy. I feel this to be intentional insomuch as it's yet another piece of the Zerith puzzle. For you see, ignoring for a fact that Zack almost certainly would be a more enthusiastic Alphreid, the role was made for him just as in many ways the role of Rosa could be seen to be made for Aerith.

In LOVELESS Zack is established as the hero. The entire poem is coded about his journey through Crisis Core, his role in the poem is central to Genesis's reenactment thereof and even the lyrics - for instance, the oft mis-quoted "Even if the Morrow be devoid of promises, nothing shall forstall my return" appears on Zack's ability Apocalypse - attest to it being a song about him.

Zack is a big ass hero, Aerith is the last cetra and essentially a goddess of her own by the end. Two remarkable superheroes. Yet Final Fantasy VII is not, necessarily, their story. The story is about the dude who failed to become the super soldier and the girl who loves him. Cloud and Tifa are relatively normal, in comparison, yet they are the ones who live on and triumph in the end. They may not be Alphreid and Rosa, but it's even more relatable, more beautiful and inspiring that they aren't.

So then, it follows. Cloud is Alphreid even for Aerith - though it should be Zack - and this falls completely in line with her character arc because it's yet another attempt to force him into Zack's shoes, to try and recreate the magic of the relationship she once had and treasures to this day. Yet, just like in the Sector 5 date - and so many other times to boot - it all doesn't live up to the hype. Cloud can't match her energy, Cloud can't be Zack and that's fine, but it's Zack she wants. It's Alphreid, the hero, that Rosa, the princess, requires.

And so she sings her song, for everyone, and cries a bit. It's understandable, LOVELESS is a sad story in which the heroine is left, as the title suggests, loveless. But Cloud's right there? Why should she be crying? For many reasons I suspect, mourning those she's loved and lost, her loneliness, the fact she'll soon have to say goodbye to her friends and, perhaps, because Cloud isn't her Alphreid.

Cloud and Tifa match energy a lot better as Rosa/Alphreid respectively, which tracks with their own connection. But one can still learn a lot about Aerith's character arc the devs have developed by watching her perform as Rosa also. The same can be said for all the enactments of the play and, indeed, every route in the game. This isn't a choose your own adventure story, but a carefully woven tale that takes many twists and turns but always ends up with the same, beautiful tapestry.

tbh its funny you say all that when Tifa's line as Rosa to Alphreid is 'you're my hero"

and each girl has a different line to say... very poetic

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie

But we did get a fully fledged ability system for him, which we didn't even get for Vincent and Cid.
They ALL have screen time. Stop this nonsense.
I think it's a fair thing to be worried about.
I never needed everyone to have equal screentime, I don't even want them to have it. Part 2 of the game should be about Aerith, that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when stuff is forced to be equal when that perhaps isn't the best way to tell the story.
You said Aerith has a dungeon, but unless I'm forgetting something the dungeon you're talking about is TotA, which happens post date, so saying stuff has to be equal for affection points has zero relevance there.
The reason I care is not so much this game, but this is two games in a row where they've mentioned Tifa and Aerith having equal screentime which makes me think they'll make up some nonsense to be able to do the same thing in part 3.
Hell, it makes me think that a lot of the dumb things they've already done were PRECISELY to lay the groundwork for that to happen. And I think it's obvious that Aerith having equal screentime to Tifa in part 3 would be SOOOOOO detrimental to any story about "someone being absent" that it's a very reasonable thing to complain about.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Whatever the statement was that the devs made, I think they just meant all the characters would get similar amounts of screentime. I think affinity or whatever is separate from that.

Plus, every character did get a dungeon but I don’t think you could ever change affinity in any of those. Affinity came from synergy, side quests, and dialogue which are all done by Cloud.

So Aerith’s dungeon being after the date doesn’t really matter since none of the party member dungeons affected the date either.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu

Adding to this, if memory serves, there is some speculation that Loveless was initially a prophecy of sort, but muddled and twisted with time and lost portions. Alphreid with that spelling that does not exist outside of Rebirth as far as I can tell, not with that spelling. That would indicate it's meant to be meaningful (though given some other western-sounding names in JP fiction you never know) which for me at least immediately made me think that it's a stand in for a name at the opposite end of the alphabet. And Rosa is a flower name, duh. Hero with name at the edge of the alphabet and a flower themed heroine. That does sound a lot like ZA.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
But we did get a fully fledged ability system for him, which we didn't even get for Vincent and Cid.

I think it's a fair thing to be worried about.
I never needed everyone to have equal screentime, I don't even want them to have it. Part 2 of the game should be about Aerith, that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when stuff is forced to be equal when that perhaps isn't the best way to tell the story.
You said Aerith has a dungeon, but unless I'm forgetting something the dungeon you're talking about is TotA, which happens post date, so saying stuff has to be equal for affection points has zero relevance there.
The reason I care is not so much this game, but this is two games in a row where they've mentioned Tifa and Aerith having equal screentime which makes me think they'll make up some nonsense to be able to do the same thing in part 3.
Hell, it makes me think that a lot of the dumb things they've already done were PRECISELY to lay the groundwork for that to happen. And I think it's obvious that Aerith having equal screentime to Tifa in part 3 would be SOOOOOO detrimental to any story about "someone being absent" that it's a very reasonable thing to complain about.
My TedTalk was actually for Part 2. The most "fun" part of FF7 where the party is basically on holliday running after hooded weirdos. So the part where it's easy to implement all this party synergy and you can make the time to develop all the characters. Of course we'll have to see where they're going with Part 3. I hope this sad "Goodbye" from Aerith was a sign we won't see her that much for most of the game (but yeah 0 chance she won't be there for the final assault)

Concerning Aerith and her dungeon, don't forget she got her private moment with Cloud when we climb mont Corel. We're controlling her in the final dungeon (when it's not Cloud side) and of course the dream date. I think she still had her fair side of content. And as we said, she'll be present for the 3rd one, so you don't have to make the entire Rebirth journey about her.

In the end I just think you're all too pessimistic with their way of doing things. Yes, it's not 1997 anymore. We don't make games like we used to do it. But I don't think they're just looking at powerpoints and metric to decide what they wanna tell us. Of course it's my opinion and yours are totally fine too.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
My TedTalk was actually for Part 2. The most "fun" part of FF7 where the party is basically on holliday running after hooded weirdos. So the part where it's easy to implement all this party synergy and you can make the time to develop all the characters. Of course we'll have to see where they're going with Part 3. I hope this sad "Goodbye" from Aerith was a sign we won't see her that much for most of the game (but yeah 0 chance she won't be there for the final assault)

Concerning Aerith and her dungeon, don't forget she got her private moment with Cloud when we climb mont Corel. We're controlling her in the final dungeon (when it's not Cloud side) and of course the dream date. I think she still had her fair side of content. And as we said, she'll be present for the 3rd one, so you don't have to make the entire Rebirth journey about her.

In the end I just think you're all too pessimistic with their way of doing things. Yes, it's not 1997 anymore. We don't make games like we used to do it. But I don't think they're just looking at powerpoints and metric to decide what they wanna tell us. Of course it's my opinion and yours are totally fine too.
Weirdly in that mount Corel party lock bit they barely speak to each other apart from Reds joking. While other party lock sections have lots of dialogue. Actually a lot of Aeriths party locks she doesn't say much even to other characters it's strange

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Weirdly in that mount Corel party lock bit they barely speak to each other apart from Reds joking. While other party lock sections have lots of dialogue. Actually a lot of Aeriths party locks she doesn't say much even to other characters it's strange
That's literally my first message on this forum lol

I don't really understand what they did with her. Should be her game for the most part and she's kinda absent of it (physically present, but don't participate much) it's really strange. And all of a sudden, they remembered she was here and the 2 last chapter are about her. But it felt wrong (at least to me) and I was kinda disconnected from her.

I'm still shocked about our Cosmo Canyon journey where Tifa is the one speaking of the planet and stuff and Aerith is just there speaking about friendship. It was cute and touching. But idk, it felt wrong for "the last cetra" of the planet.

CldS7

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Luffy76
That's literally my first message on this forum lol

I don't really understand what they did with her. Should be her game for the most part and she's kinda absent of it (physically present, but don't participate much) it's really strange. And all of a sudden, they remembered she was here and the 2 last chapter are about her. But it felt wrong (at least to me) and I was kinda disconnected from her.

I'm still shocked about our Cosmo Canyon journey where Tifa is the one speaking of the planet and stuff and Aerith is just there speaking about friendship. It was cute and touching. But idk, it felt wrong for "the last cetra" of the planet.

honestly wonder where they're going with this planet is saving Tifa on purpose cause she will save Cloud. Will they actually acknowledge it in the story???

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
honestly wonder where they're going with this planet is saving Tifa on purpose cause she will save Cloud. Will they actually acknowledge it in the story???
Well, I think those specific Weapons will show up again. I said it in the Club thread but I see that there are two of them and so they’ll both swallow up Cloud and Tifa for the Lifestream Sequence, this will also explain how Tifa doesn’t get mako poisoning too.

But I definitely think Sephiroth knows that Tifa is an obstacle. That’s for sure. I think there was an image posted in the Club thread that you see Sephiroth try to corrupt that area of the Lifestream toward the end. Plus, he’s obviously spent most of the game trying to turn Cloud against Tifa, which I expect will continue once they reach the Northern Cave.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
I think yes. And we'll maybe discover it was by the will of Ultimate Aerith that the proto weapons saved Tifa. To emphasize her love for Tifa. They talk about Cloud condition during the entire game too. They care for his mental illness. They have not the full picture yet but they both know they have to protect him from Sephiroth. So Ultimate Aerith must know Sephiroth is gonna go after Tifa.

Man I really need my Aerith x Tifa alliance. I'm devasted by the fact Ghost Aerith is kinda ignoring her in the ending. Even if she can't see you, embrace her pleeeeease. So sad.

CldS7

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Luffy76
Also wonder if the Soldier Degredation plotline will go anywhere as well. I know in CC it’s mentioned that Cloud doesn’t have those cells in him… pls Square let him have a happy life with Tifa post AC….

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Ok, then the all the world knows Tifa and Cloud will get together and we don't need to hyper focus on them in Part 3. Equal screen time for Tifa and Aerith makes total sense.
Didn't they have about equal time in Rebirth? For me, it seemed to tip more towards Aerith. Which does make sense from a narrative standpoint though. At this stage in the story, there was more Aerith centered story beats

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Also wonder if the Soldier Degredation plotline will go anywhere as well. I know in CC it’s mentioned that Cloud doesn’t have those cells in him… pls Square let him have a happy life with Tifa post AC….
Actually, I think it’s an intentional misdirect. I think fans that have somehow not played OG or anything else, will think all of his inaccuracies are the degradation. This preserves the plot twist even though Tifa is questioning it earlier.

But it exists also for the party to think something is wrong with Cloud but also… without the twist that he was never in SOLDIER.

This way, the party can later find out he never actually made it in… but they also have something to blame for his acting out for right now. Does that make sense?

And yeah, Cloud is the only Sephiroth “clone” that was a success so I don’t think it will affect his later life once his identity returns.

Sephiroth’s cells do not degrade, per Genesis.

I actually don’t think it’s degradation at all. The people in the game only think it is… what they believe to be degradation is really just Sephiroth/Jenova’s siren call.

In fact that will be a plot twist at the Cave. It’s not degradation, it’s just Sephiroth’s manipulation of the Jenova cells. But doctors like Sherian have no reason to think that so they are falsely attributing it.

Last edited:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate

C'mon, why are you still saying this? We went over the exact scenes shown in the game awards trailer that you claimed was 90 percent baity for CA fans. You know that is false

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
To add to what I said earlier, it helps for the players who played the re-release of Crisis Core as well.

They’ll falsely assume that it’s the same degradation that Angeal and Genesis went through and that is why Cloud’s story isn’t lining up with Zack’s in that game.

CldS7

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Luffy76
C'mon, why are you still saying this? We went over the exact scenes shown in the game awards trailer that you claimed was 90 percent baity for CA fans. You know that is false

you cant tell me you thought Zack was only going to be in the game for 10-12 minutes from the amount of appearances he was making in promotion.

fairs if you could but that totally baited me

Top Bottom