SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
I wanna believe that too but since it was never mentioned I'm gonna give this one to @Maidenofwar but I think both girls just know each others hearts and respect each other. I'm gonna believe that since NPTK is her song' for everyone.
Wait what ? People are still doubting about Aerith x Tifa ? If the game made something very clear is that they're BFF, love each other, respect each other and talk about everything that's wrong.

And the NPTK reveal is the last confirmation they love each other and they've never been in conflict for a boy.

Tifa loves Cloud. Aerith loves Cloud. Their first and foremost priority is to keep him safe. Aerith is just lonely, misses Zack, and is sad she can't do anything about the fact that Cloud and Tifa are childhood friend. She's not jealous about the people, she's just jealous about this link, this relation she would never know because she was alone pretty much all her life. And she's disturbed because this blonde guy acts and reminds her of Zack in everything he does. She doesn't know if she's falling for a fantasy or a real person. And the dream seems like to confirm it's something else than just romantic love.

But Aerith is always supporting Tifa (words of encouragements when Tifa and Cloud were alone in that room) and a beautiful song when you've picked Tifa side in the Gold Saucer.

And again, Cloud VA said it perfectly. It's so on point it's disturbing. People can love each other without thinking about sex and so on. Even if it was short, Aerith gained a special place in Cloud's mind and heart. They don't have to be a couple to care about each other or to have the desire to make more memories together. It's just great man. I'll say it again and again but these characters are at their peak with Remake and Rebirth. They've never been depicted so well.

Last edited:

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
I can understand and sort of related to it to be honest. For me, once i put my intense shipping goggle on, I can never take it off… This happens to me for Bleach, where I think Ichigo X Rukia is the main couple, and got slapped in the face at the end…i re-read the manga lately, and still think ichigo x rukia are cute together….anyways, I guess the difference is some people like me are not so fixate on the idea of being canon, and can accept that other ship is the canon ship, which doesn’t stop me from enjoying my ship at all….there are so many fanart honestly. But for some people, being canon is a big deal, and apparently it doesn’t worth the time and money if their ship is not canon.

EDIT: maybe they just got really attached to Cloud X Aerith in the early game, and will ignore all the hint and development for Tifa in the later half of the game…it probably will only get worse if someone hold on to the idea that cloud X Aerith is the canon couple for 27 years. I don’t think anyone will be able to convince them they are not

I shipped Ichiruki too!! and oh boy, the slap we got with that ending was out of this world! We got humbled real hard :tearsofjoy: So, if you ever wonder why I'm so cautious about claiming victory, no matter how safe a ship seems to be... it's because of them, lol.

That said, I reread Bleach recently as well, without that huge weight of caring too much about it as I did in the past, and I still came to the same conclusion e. that IR would make much more sense, imo (only behind an open ending with no ships, tbh). But if there's another thing that Bleach has taught me, it's that the author will do what he wanted/intended regardless of whether it makes sense to the story or the fans. No shade to Kubo btw, but it's more like a realisation that there are people behind these stories. So if they wake up tomorrow and decide to make, idk... Cloud and Cissnei canon, they will do it, and there's nothing we can do about it. That's why, no matter how confident I am about the story being told, for me, the game is over when it's actually over, lol.

CldS7

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Luffy76
I can understand and sort of related to it to be honest. For me, once i put my intense shipping goggle on, I can never take it off… This happens to me for Bleach, where I think Ichigo X Rukia is the main couple, and got slapped in the face at the end…i re-read the manga lately, and still think ichigo x rukia are cute together….anyways, I guess the difference is some people like me are not so fixate on the idea of being canon, and can accept that other ship is the canon ship, which doesn’t stop me from enjoying my ship at all….there are so many fanart honestly. But for some people, being canon is a big deal, and apparently it doesn’t worth the time and money if their ship is not canon.

EDIT: maybe they just got really attached to Cloud X Aerith in the early game, and will ignore all the hint and development for Tifa in the later half of the game…it probably will only get worse if someone hold on to the idea that cloud X Aerith is the canon couple for 27 years. I don’t think anyone will be able to convince them they are not

I get what you're saying but I still think its different

in the case of Bleach you're more arguing about ships then anything else rather then the actual story or narrative

in the case of FF7 its always been an argument about narrative then anything else. Or you just refuse to play disk 2 and 3. Because the romance and ship is critical to the actual narrative.

Its like how most CA's continually push the narrative that Tifa is imprinting this hero identity onto Cloud and loves him as an idealistic version of himself which means you simply have no understood the story at all which is mind boggling to me

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
I shipped Ichiruki too!! and oh boy, the slap we got with that ending was out of this world! We got humbled real hard :tearsofjoy: So, if you ever wonder why I'm so cautious about claiming victory, no matter how safe a ship seems to be... it's because of them, lol.

That said, I reread Bleach recently as well, without that huge weight of caring too much about it as I did in the past, and I still came to the same conclusion e. that IR would make much more sense, imo (only behind an open ending with no ships, tbh). But if there's another thing that Bleach has taught me, it's that the author will do what he wanted/intended regardless of whether it makes sense to the story or the fans. No shade to Kubo btw, but it's more like a realisation that there are people behind these stories. So if they wake up tomorrow and decide to make, idk... Cloud and Cissnei canon, they will do it, and there's nothing we can do about it. That's why, no matter how confident I am about the story being told, for me, the game is over when it's actually over, lol.
I pretty much always lost all my ships in anime/manga lol. That's why I'm never against headcanon stuff and all that. Because you care for characters the author doesn't seem to be interested for.

But that's what it is. A headcanon. A personal preference. And that's my criticism of a certain (limited) branch of the CAs fandom. Their desire to impose something the game (even more with the remakes) doesn't seem to be portraying.

CldS7

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Luffy76
I pretty much always lost all my ships in anime/manga lol. That's why I'm never against headcanon stuff and all that. Because you care for characters the author doesn't seem to be interested for.

But that's what it is. A headcanon. A personal preference. And that's my criticism of a certain (limited) branch of the CAs fandom. Their desire to impose something the game (even more with the remakes) doesn't seem to be portraying.

what I don't get about that branch of the fandom is everything they hate about Tifa's traits, is the traits that Aerith has, but everything they want for Aerith, is the traits and story that Tifa has??

idk what to compare it to cause I dont think I've seen anything like it in any other fandom tbh

frosty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Snowman
Ryeleigh said:
Well, they still go on and on about the choices in OG as if those choices affected anything storywise. Listening to them talk, they make FF7 sound like some amalgamation of CW teen soap opera and choose your own adventure waifu a la BioWare.
Well to be very very fair to a brand new gamer, with no context whatsoever to the OG games - if I'm just beginning by playing Remake it just feels like I've been given 3 options of women who seem to really like me. I get a train roll with one and it looks like they almost kiss, I get a kiss on a cheek from one, and I have one that tells me "not to fall in love with me", I really might just have the impression that the second game allows me a "chose your own adventure option", especially since this whole "multiple branching romances" IS the norm nowadays.

I don't think the newcomers, save for the more astute, comb the context too hard, or realize the Cloud is significantly warmer to Tifa compared to the rest of the team. From what I've seen a good part of the new gamer population just go - oh Cloud is so stoic. Cloud doesn't express anything. He doesn't seem to react positively even when 2 beautiful women show that they really seem to like him.

Gamerskull said:
Yeah… it is strange that that they seem to be more or less “debunking” CA stuff. One would think they’d wait until Part 3 releases in order to ensure the CA fanbase still buys it.
I don't want Part 3's marketing to lean anymore into this options bull shit, or love triangle bullshit, or let's see how "we still need to pander to Cloud and Aerith fans cos we still need their money" bull shit.

I want their Part 3 to lean heavily into a) this is the finale of a marathon, a labour of love that took +10 years to make - lean into the nostalgia of reimagining a most beloved franchise, and it's time to wrap up b) To have the devs talk clearly about their creative vision, how they grew from the original concepts to what it is today, and close off the whole compilation with a homage to the players who have stuck with them for 30 years already.

Make me tear up with nostalgia, not give me a headache from more "who does Cloud love"

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Well to be very very fair to a brand new gamer, with no context whatsoever to the OG games - if I'm just beginning by playing Remake it just feels like I've been given 3 options of women who seem to really like me. I get a train roll with one and it looks like they almost kiss, I get a kiss on a cheek from one, and I have one that tells me "not to fall in love with me", I really might just have the impression that the second game allows me a "chose your own adventure option", especially since this whole "multiple branching romances" IS the norm nowadays.

I don't think the newcomers, save for the more astute, comb the context too hard, or realize the Cloud is significantly warmer to Tifa compared to the rest of the team. From what I've seen a good part of the new gamer population just go - oh Cloud is so stoic. Cloud doesn't express anything. He doesn't seem to react positively even when 2 beautiful women show that they really seem to like him.

I don't want Part 3's marketing to lean anymore into this options bull shit, or love triangle bullshit, or let's see how "we still need to pander to Cloud and Aerith fans cos we still need their money" bull shit.
All will depend of the last part. For now, all they did is really good from a gamedesign point of you. Cloud is not himself. We know that as OG players. So you can give the illusion of choice for now (because let's be honnest, it's just an illusion. Cloud has his own agenda and you can't really do anything about it except gain access to bonus scenes)

I'm just super excited to see if the moment Cloud regains his memories and himself, the game doesn't let you choose any dialogue option and drop this affection system. That would be so sick and fitting.

All we can do is wait..

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer

I've had my fair share of wins and losses, which is why I can sympathise with CA frustration. I suppose we all crave validation from the plot, wanting to know that our assumptions are correct. However, in the end, we must all come to terms with what's canon and continue enjoying what we like, even without the author's approval. Everything is possible in the hands of the fandom, and that's the fun of it. I have read fanfics more well written than the stories that inspired them, lol.

Also, one thing I always try to do (and the reason I enjoy lurking around here) is to keep my own interpretations and assumptions in check. Having your opinions questioned once in a while, rather than just surrounding yourself with people who echo the same thoughts as yours, makes it much easier to accept the message that the author is delivering, even if it's not what you wanted or interpreted.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
I've had my fair share of wins and losses, which is why I can sympathise with CA frustration. I suppose we all crave validation from the plot, wanting to know that our assumptions are correct. However, in the end, we must all come to terms with what's canon and continue enjoying what we like, even without the author's approval. Everything is possible in the hands of the fandom, and that's the fun of it. I have read fanfics more well written than the stories that inspired them, lol.

Also, one thing I always try to do (and the reason I enjoy lurking around here) is to keep my own interpretations and assumptions in check. Having your opinions questioned once in a while, rather than just surrounding yourself with people who echo the same thoughts as yours, makes it much easier to accept the message that the author is delivering, even if it's not what you wanted or interpreted.
Pretty much yeah.

But again, I don't think it's really comparable with FF7. Most of the time, in manga, the ship's resolution comes at the very end, a bit on the author's whim. There's almost never any forshadowing. You pick a side and you pray lol. Even more in romance manga. Their goal is to keep it secret until the end. So they're not giving you too much answers during the story.

In FF7 the ship war can't exist anymore in the first half of the story. And the second half pretty much explains that a war wasn't even possible to begin with because the main love interest had already made his choice a long time ago.

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
Wait what ? People are still doubting about Aerith x Tifa ? If the game made something very clear is that they're BFF, love each other, respect each other and talk about everything that's wrong.

- yeaah some die hard cloti ( I'm a bit die hard too but I can't think of Aerith as horrible person ) but something really in Rebirth she really tested my patience to be honest. I just accepted it and ride along with her..

How can say it? Its like how a man thinks a woman's friendship is most of the conversations we see is them buying clothes, talking bout boys and stuff yet Aerith is going around on dates with the same man Tifa likes.

I'm not sure who is it but someone just said it here Aerith is just naturally Flirty and very forward with her feelings because she wanted to be 'in the moment' and want to treasure everything by doing it now rather than regretting later. Can't say I'm not 100% guilty of not agreeing but I'm soo glad they release video of NPTK ( now I know she treasures everyone [cuz Rebirth sure seems like she's only focus on cloud] but the song is like a redeemer for me. I'm glad Nojima and others cleared it up.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
- yeaah some die hard cloti ( I'm a bit die hard too but I can't think of Aerith as horrible person ) but something really in Rebirth she really tested my patience to be honest. I just accepted it and ride along with her..

How can say it? Its like how a man thinks a woman's friendship is most of the conversations we see is them buying clothes, talking bout boys and stuff yet Aerith is going around on dates with the same man Tifa likes.

I'm not sure who is it but someone just said it here Aerith is just naturally Flirty and very forward with her feelings because she wanted to be 'in the moment' and want to treasure everything by doing it now rather than regretting later. Can't say I'm not 100% guilty of not agreeing but I'm soo glad they release video of NPTK ( now I know she treasures everyone [cuz Rebirth sure seems like she's only focus on cloud] but the song is like a redeemer for me. I'm glad Nojima and others cleared it up.
I think you're too harsh with her lol

She's a bit flirty but pretty much moking Cloud too. So it's not really that cringe to be honest. More like nice banters between two close friends. And she's doing the same with Tifa too. So it just shows it's her personnality.

The only moment in-game where I was kinda disapointed with her, it's the dream date. But when you stop thinking about the TLD and just understand she's asking for a last "Zack date" knowing she'll die very soon, it's bittersweet and in the end i have more pity than anything.

CldS7

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Luffy76

yeh its like this is how a man thinks female friendships are and its so off-putting

Also being dragged around by someone whose personality is extremely annoying wears you downs so quickly

tbh ive never been a fan of how they've written Aerith and how she is written in this game. I feel like every character has evolved in ways from 1997 but her. She's still the same.

Her singing a song about all her bonds and relationships is probably the thing that most resonates with me in the game but its still stupid how she suddenly turned into Whitney Huston

CldS7

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Luffy76
idk the game forces you to be in Aeriths part of the party on multiple occasions but it doesn't enhance their relationship or do any character work, its literally her just being overbearing as fuck and the player not having a say in it

that bit where she starts speaking about romance when you're seeing Jessie is so stupid

Last edited:

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
I think you're too harsh with her lol

yeaah maybe I am sorry~

yeh its like this is how a man thinks female friendships are and its so off-putting

Also being dragged around by someone whose personality is extremely annoying wears you downs so quickly

Zack would have paired that energy Aerith's soo extrovert hehehe I'm an introvert myself sooo I understand Cloud a bit.

I wanted an indept scenes other than those though I'm not saying its a bad thing but I dont think there is much women in that board room when they finalize the story. But eitherway I know AERTI treasures each other and Tifa cries more than anyone on that last scene.

She wrote that song in that moment because she wanted more time with everyone, because of Cloud she's able to find Tifa, Barret, Yuffie and the rest

CldS7

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Luffy76
yeaah maybe I am sorry~

I wanted an indept scenes other than those though I'm not saying its a bad thing but I dont think there is much women in that board room when they finalize the story. But eitherway I know AERTI treasures each other and Tifa cries more than anyone on that last scene..
I never got the sense that Aerith treasured Tifa like Tifa treasured her this game at all which is probably my biggest gripe

Tifa treasured Aerith -> Aerith kept forcing everything to Cloud -> Cloud starting at anything

I dont like it. Especially the last chapter

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
The first "affection" quest tuto it's her telling Cloud to treasure his relation with Tifa. At this moment of the story she's not supposed to know Tifa have feelings for Cloud. She lost her "Ultimate Aerith" memories and they all just fled Midgar. They know each others for 2 days lol.

So yeah her "we were on a date" is nothing much. She's not mean to Tifa. She doesn't know her too well yet.

And after that, there's nothing too disrespectful. She talks about her ex, search for him in Gongaga. Doesn't say much in Cosmo Canyon.

The only moment when she's selfish is the dream date. And it's such a weird moment (in the sense it's not reality if you know what i mean) that you can't really blame her.

CldS7

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Luffy76
The first "affection" quest tuto it's her telling Cloud to treasure his relation with Tifa. At this moment of the story she's not supposed to know Tifa have feelings for Cloud. She lost her "Ultimate Aerith" memories and they all just fled Midgar. They know each others for 2 days lol.

So yeah her "we were on a date" is nothing much. She's not mean to Tifa. She doesn't know her too well yet.

And after that, there's nothing too disrespectful. She talks about her ex, search for him in Gongaga. Doesn't say much in Cosmo Canyon.

The only moment when she's selfish is the dream date. And it's such a weird moment (in the sense it's not reality if you know what i mean) that you can't really blame her.

idk its always Tifa -> towards Aerith other then the 'date' in Kalm

and its the scene at the end I dislike the most tbh. Her just walking past Tifa whilst she's the one most upset just looks and feels ridiculously out of place

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie

Ehh, I never understood why people thought rukia and ichigo were a thing tbh, to me that was exactly the same experience I've had with FFVII, people shipping something that in my eyes clearly wasn't romantic while the real love interrest was right there

Maidenofwar

They/Them
Tifa withdrawing into herself to the extent she can't sense Aerith is not Aerith's fault. Why not direct some of that misplaced ire at the entire living party for not comforting Tifa then. Aerith did not ignore Tifa, she came to stand by her side, but Tifa couldn't sense her because she was withdrawn. There is nothing malicious or ill meaning there.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Maiden, I think they're expressing irritation that Aerith didn't attempt to touch Tifa like she did Nanaki. A hug, a hand gripping her shoulder, etc.

Last edited:

Hix

Pro Adventurer
I haven't read/watched Bleach so can't weigh in, but shipping in and of itself is fine - even if it's with characters in established pairings - as long as one is aware it's something personal and does not reflect the media that is being presented.

Generally speaking active "shipping" is at it's strongest when there's ambiguity, then as relationships become established it starts to die down. This is both an acknowledgement of reality and appreciation of, and respect for, the source material and those who have made it.

The situation we have with FF7 is unique in a way, because despite the answer being given some 27 years ago - and continually reinforced since - it's still a challenge even for a neutral observer to discuss the narrative as presented without being bombarded with nonsensical silliness like koibito tsunagi. The shipping should have ended along with disc 1 but has continued unabated, actively disregarding the will of the creators, and indeed, the reality.

Bleach had time to potentially establish various possible relationships before the canon was set. Final Fantasy VII came and went and left us with an answer in 50 hours of gameplay.

Now, you may say that the Remake trilogy being split up has surely not helped this, but the devs have doubled down on what they want the viewer to take away from the story. I saw someone earlier post here that they could imagine a scenario where Joe Gamer would think perhaps this is a multi-romance route game, but consider;

Using the menu, said player watches Tifa and Aerith's HA GS dates;

One date has Cloud sit next to a girl he almost kissed shortly before. She worries she got ahead of herself then and is perhaps doing so again. He moves to reassure her, "not a bit", before pulling her into a passionate, mutual kiss as fireworks explode in the background.

The other date has Cloud sit away from a girl who, shortly before, told him she still loves her boyfriend who went missing years earlier. She pats the seat next to her for him to come. He openly refuses to do so and not for the first or last time. She shuffles close to him. They talk about her boyfriend who she still loves. She rests her head on his shoulder "just for now" and her hand in his and the date ends.

There's just no ambiguity here. One is implicitly romantic and the other is implicitly platonic, painfully so even. This is also why Cleriths are so devastated over the unsurprising revelation that Aerith didn't sing a love ballad to Cloud, because there's never a moment for them like the kiss, never a moment that can't be seen as two people who like each other but don't like-like each other.

Continue to ship that, and Ichigo/Rukia too, but at least do the devs the courtesy of accepting the story they are trying to tell - even if you personally wish it was another way.

Last edited:

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
I haven't read/watched Bleach so can't weigh in, but shipping in and of itself is fine - even if it's with characters in established pairings - as long as one is aware it's something personal and does not reflect the media that is being presented.

Generally speaking active "shipping" is at it's strongest when there's ambiguity, then as relationships become established starts to die down. This is both an acknowledgement of reality and appreciation of and respect for the source material and those who have made it.

The situation we have with FF7 is unique in a way, because despite the answer being given some 27 years ago - and continually reinforced since - it's still a challenge even for a neutral observer to discuss the obvious narrative as presented without being bombarded with nonsensical, irrelevant claptrap like "koibito tsunagi". The shipping should have ended along with disc 1, but has continued unabated actively disregarding the wills of the creators, and indeed, the reality.

Bleach had time to potentially establish various possible relationships before the canon was set. Final Fantasy VII came and went and left us with an answer in 50 hours of gameplay.

Now, you may say that the Remake trilogy being split up has surely not helped this, but the devs have doubled down on what they want the viewer to take away from the story. I saw someone earlier post here that they could imagine a scenario where Joe Gamer would think perhaps this is a multi-route game, but consider;

Using the menu, the player watches Tifa and Aerith's HA GS dates.
One date has Cloud sit next to a girl he almost kissed shortly before. She worries she got ahead of herself then and is perhaps doing so again. He moves to reassure her, not a bit, before pulling her into a passionate, mutual kiss as fireworks explode in the background.
The other date has Cloud sit away from a girl who, shortly before, told him she still loves her boyfriend who went missing years earlier. She pats the seat next to her for him to come. He openly refuses to do so and not for the first or last time. She shuffles close to him. They talk about her boyfriend who she still loves. She rests her head on his shoulder "just for now" and her hand in his and the date ends.

There's just no ambiguity here. One is implicitly romantic and the other is implicitly platonic, painfully so even. This is also why Cleriths are so devestated over the unsurprising revelation that Aerith didn't sing an unrequited love ballad to Cloud, because there's never a moment for them like the kiss, never a moment that can't be seen as two people who like each other but don't like-like each other.

Continue to ship that, and Ichigo/Rukia too, but at least do the devs the courtesy of accepting the story they are trying to tell - even if you personally wish it was another way.
I'm fine with people shipping rukia and ichigo. The reason I don't argue with them is simple, I e never met an ichigo x rukia shipper who, after the manga was over, didn't accept that inoue was the Canon love interrest. They may not like it, but they're not pretending it isn't true. Same with me and my most sunken ships, even when they're arguably more valid that clerith is.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
didn't accept that inoue was the Canon love interrest.
Dude we all left a long time ago lol, that shipping fanbase was HUGE like way bigger than anything FFVII - that's what big shounens do. Also Ichigo and Rukia have the same tropes as Cloud and Tifa. There I've said it.

CldS7

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Luffy76
why would I talk about the party giving Tifa comfort when the issue im arguing is that the game doesnt do nearly enough in showing Aerith showing care for Tifa compared to the other way around.

the other party have nothing to do with their dynamic. The issue I have is its presented in a one sided manner in my opinion which is a massive detriment

Top Bottom