SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Didn’t Nomura say that basically what they wanted to show in this scene is denial in loss? If she didn’t die then what is Cloud in denial about…

Yeah pretty much.

But people are saying that while our Aerith is dead, another suvived elsewhere. So technically what Nomura is saying is not wrong. But I still think there is no other Aerith or new world created at this very moment. She just died and Cloud refuse to see it. I really think in the end the Re-trilogy will not be so covulated as we think right now. People are talking about Splinter Aerith with dying words and so on, and I really think it's too complicated for nothing.

She's dead and part of the lifestream. She will be our POV to understand what the LS really is.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
She's dead and part of the lifestream. She will be our POV to understand what the LS really is.
This is what I think as well. She will just be how Zack has been in Rebirth. Which I think is perfectly fine as I said before, it’s a nice way to flesh out what she does before saving everyone. I remember she had said she doesn’t know how to pray or something, and I was like oh maybe they’ll be an arc of how she was able to summon Holy.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I'm not really buying this "splinter Aerith" thing. The splinter is supposed to be happening during the rainbow effect. But when we look closer, her blood is present during this "new reality", so Sephiroth did stab her. I really think people read too deep on all of it and it's just Cloud being delulu.

View attachment 15906
That's the thing. I think he did both stab and not stab her. She's is 100% dead. But we did also change fate and created a world where he didn't strike true. So we have in essence created a second un-stabbed Aerith being kept in the pocket of the white whispers. That's not our timeline though. In our timeline she's d-e-d dead.

But like how we have a dead Zack and delusional cloud and a live Zack and a comatose Cloud, the rainbow effects spawned at the moment of the sword clash. That's our splinter point.

I recall a few occasions where the drama capacitors overloaded and exploded drama over other threads like pink confetti, but on the overall im inclined to agree.
It's part of why we made the sub-forum, actually.

I wonder if event designers ever trawl forums for ideas. There's gold in them thar' threads.
I doubt, but you never know.

See? Gold.
Yuffie is just great for comic relief.

Story of my life.
How many lives you have left?

We see a culture that's perfectly suited to this galaxy and write them off as brutishly insane for not answering questions an ork would never even think to ask.

I know I fucked up the phrasing on that but fuck it, you already know what I mean.
Yeah, I gotcha.

I gave up when it started to hurt :awesomonster: If it ever comes to me I'll let ya know. Until then, suffice to say that yes the Cetra Laser Rifle is there to see.
It's almost a shame she doesn't learn the laser move from it.

Meh, hero antagonist at worst. Though this touches on an important facet of the old debate threads, namely that Cleriths like BB and Cali would treat it as a genuine epic struggle of good vs evil. If you reminded them it was just a debate about a fictional guy's love life they could go off hard.
I suppose that thinking was why they thought anything was fair play so long as "the side of good" won.

Oh yeah I think I was here for that, or went back and experienced it after the fact. Particularly shameless that was, since I know BB was a champ at editing her posts after folks had already responded.
I remember she flounced at one point while I was asleep and I just said "Okay, no reason to ever answer those, then."

Shiny skull hat band and artistic tearing on the brim and crown are fancy right?
The fanciest.

Well now I wanna do an Archmage with dementia plot, wherein he doesn't even realize everyone turns against him because he's exclusively preparing provoking spells every day and was really trying to cast something useful. Though the Wild Magic surge issue probably fits the tone of that game better.
I mean both can be true.

It has always bothered me not knowing how much autonomy Cait Sith has. But yes, I'm throwing Stark in. Reeve is a much more sober Tony, Cait gets movie!Friday for accent based reasons, the Moogle is the armor itself.
Alright, but we do still get a little cat robot and that robot gets moogle armor too at some point. Deal?

Ah yes, you'd said. Forgive me, Jean is not allowed to be sassy/firey much since the incident(s) and all.
I mean that technically wasn't her but a cosmic entity believing itself to be her. And the other one was her clone.

Yuffie feels like a Wolverine teen girl sidekick on her way to a solo series. But which one? Kitty? Jubilee? Too many options?
Jubilee, I'd say. Also it is a bit odd that they don't team up his sidekick squad more often. They've teamed up Jubilee and Laura, but not AFAIK Kitty with them?

It wouldn't surprise me at this point. On the other hand folks have actually sent money to "Nigerian princes" so maybe he just thought peeps were gullible.
Could easily go either way, though did he ever try and get money from people from his sob stories? I may need to ask a friend whose discord server he shat up with his nonsense.

Well maybe if the jarred heads would stay on their high shelves, huh?
You saying they ought to know their place?

He'll be here all week folks.
And longer.

I think you're the only guy I know who would acknowledge the potential good to be had there without a fight, aside from myself. Some things should be hated folks, so long as we're using that hate to make them stop.
Spite can rage can make people move mountains. Making the world better is a grand revenge.

Yeah, until you mentioned this mess I just stuck to the LPs and never went looking for anything else he'd posted. Which makes it come straight out of left field cause there is no sign of this crazy in any LP I ever read.
It goes from 0 to Batshit crazy fast.

I'm interested in the Fallout tv series, but at the same time... Can we just get a big budget version of Nuka Break?
The show is quite good. Also, it's being held to being canon once the next game comes out so it's not just a throwaway big of fluff.

Confirmation bias is a helluva drug. A helluva gateway drug, no less.
So often it leads to copium addiction. Sad times.

On this note I think we should stress that Aerith is a good example for this. Her inability to move on isn't viewed as unhealthy, or something that has to change. No one's pushing her to get over it already, it's been five years. Had she lived, Aerith would move on when she's actually ready. There's nothing wrong with staying loyal that long in and of itself.
Yeah, the motivation is internal there. She wants to be over him, because it hurts, but she wants him back even more.

Training sequence of her learning to bop bitches with a stick?
Garden management sim?

I want Xoloitzcuintleverse Aerith to be a thing. Someone make that happen.
In this universe, Zack tripped and fell and has a bump on his forehead. That's the only change.

Last edited:

ChaosandConfusion

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Hi. I would recommend if you're wanting to learn about Lore without being completely spoiled, to start with Crisis Core Reunion. It helps set up a lot of backstory and explains a lot of things the game might just throw at you. Otherwise feel free to ask questions.

Also what is going on now that the LTD thread is where newbies come for lore. I mean, welcome and shit, but it's like the world's topsy turvy.
Considering the fact that everywhere I have tried to get information from has always turned into an argument about who Cloud romantically loves (I had no idea this was thing btw) I figured it comes with the territory.

Thanks for the warm welcome by the way.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Considering the fact that everywhere I have tried to get information from has always turned into an argument about who Cloud romantically loves (I had no idea this was thing btw) I figured it comes with the territory.

Welcome.

I’d say play the OG if you can. If not, you can do remake and then Crisis Core right after.

Don’t worry too much about who Cloud loves, you’ll form your own conclusion as you play. I certainly think the game presents a clear case but different strokes for different folks.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Okay, just to spice things up a little, I've caught up with the skywheel dates (Tifa's was the one I got first in my main playthrough), and now I have refined my standing on how I see Cloud's feelings towards the girls. I know some of you won't share my mindset, but that's the beauty of it. :)

I have watched the intimate dates, so my interpretation is based on those, and I've taken into account that every date is canon in the sense that it shows Cloud's feelings.

So, I really think that Cloud has romantic feelings for both Tifa and Aerith, but the nature of these feelings are very different. Cloud is in love with Tifa (even more as he thinks), that's very clear, but it's unresolved yet (since the date doesn't considered to be canon in the sense that it really happened). On the other hand, he likes Aerith. Not in a deep love sense, much more as some budding, starting feeling. Here comes the twist: Cloud do not want to like Aerith romantically, because he is in love with Tifa. It's like his mind dictates that he can't fall in love with Aerith, because he loves Tifa. That's why he always acts colder when Aerith makes moves on him. Not because he doesn't feel anything for her, but because he actually does, but do not want to. In reality, he do not want to betray his feelings for Tifa.

So there you have it. This won't change anything in the sense that Cloud and Tifa is a given. Nor these suggest that Cloud and Aerith should be a thing, because I think that even if Cloud started to like Aerith, it can't measure up to his feelings for Tifa, which will resurface in part 3.

EDIT: Just some typos, but my grammar sucks, my english is really rusty nowdays.
Actually most people here also agree with this opinion to put it simply He loves Aerith But Cloud is IN Love with Tifa

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶

I still wish I could go back to just a month or so ago to when I had no idea about the LTD. Now look at me, pure brain rot.

I blame it all on Gongaga.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Well yes, I agree completely. Zerith is endgame. But it can be tainted as well. They were skirting the line in Rebirth.

OmniAerith is just baffling to me in general. She can bring in Cloud to her dream world, physically hand him the white materia to take back, go on a date, and then push him back into his world. But can't talk to Zack despite sending him across worlds on a whim. It's weird and off-putting.

I feel that entire sector 5 date was a hamfisted attempt to toss Clerith a bone and simultaneously give both Aerith and Cleriths closure on why it could never work (it obviously never worked because Cleriths never got the message). It did nothing to endear Aerith to me, I will fully admit. If she knew Zack was around...it only gets worse from there.
It's because the dialogue for the actual confession non confession is so confusing on what Aerith is actually trying to say is it I like you but I don't know what kind of like? Or is it I like you and want you to know I'm saying it in a romantic way? Either way Cloud says your being weird and that's it? I also can't see Rebirth Aerith saying this or acting this way after what we've played in the main story and her obvious knowledge of Tifa and Cloud considering she speaks about Tifa in almost every situation. I really don't get what the Devs were going for here knowing that it's not even the same Aerith we have been playing with makes me not care as much

nepheneethedestroyer

Lv. 25 Adventurer
As for OmniAerith, I am not sure that she exists the way the fandom paints her. To me the one we see in the dream date is akin to COLW Aerith, more turned towards Cloud but she discovers that this may be a false assumption. I am not sure that it is her and not some meta plot of hers (Zack is not in the same universe, so I think there's some shenanigan with the multi-universe; that Aerith can only be awake in this particular universe but Zack isn't part of it, making her "lost" in some way and seeking him through Cloud). We see golden petals guide Zack, but the thing is.... Aerith never had control of these flowers, she merely follows them, just like Zack is doing. So I am not sure it's a meta/Omni Aerith trying to guide Zack there rather than the will of the Planet.

When I say Omni!Aerith, what I mean is "an Aerith who has the full White Materia, which contains her memories, or knowledge, of the events that transpired in the original game and potentially ACC, as well as confers upon her some degree of Lifestream manipulation/Cetra powers/whatever." This is the Aerith that is present in all of Remake (until the very very end), the one that alludes to futures events ("You can't fall in love with me"), and also has the ability to project herself to Cloud in Ch 14 despite being held captive by Shinra. I'm not really a believer in the multiple Aeriths/multiple copies of people existing from alternate worlds/timelines/Lifestream pockets/whatever theories. I believe that there's something to the idea that you can only be conscious in one "world" at a time--see Cloud getting knocked out in Ch 14 while the dream date is happening, Cloud and Aerith being unconscious in the Zack interludes, etc--but either way, it wouldn't change the fact that White-Materia-possessing Aerith has knowledge of the future--she knows that she was never able to meet "real" Cloud, she presumably knows Zack's real fate and how loyal/faithful he was to her, etc...even if she's somehow unable to communicate with Zack due to Lifestream rules or whatever, the fact that she goes on the dream date at all while knowing all of this is what strikes me as weird.

As for the fight against Sephiroth, it's not OmniAerith but definitely our Aerith who fights alongside Cloud. The fact that she holds his hand before disappearing claims that. Which makes me think that when I played, I thought this was her saying goodbye to Cloud, which made the whole scenes coming after even more bizarre to me like, why does she keep coming back to say goodbye? I had that odd feeling during the Tiny Bronco scene especially (because the one before was clearly Cloud hallucinating so I discarded it) but this scene was supposed to feel warm and the only reasoning I had for it to be the real Aerith was that no way SE would make Cloud hallucinate there? Although yeah, what she says is odd (being happy of him going after Sephiroth instead of telling him to take care of him? When she's exactly said that prior? We know Cloud doesn't really know Aerith uh...). But yes there are things in this scene I find odd, discarded until people noticed the credits (which I didn't even watched lmao) and yeah. Fishy things going on there.

Yeah, I do think that "our Aerith" is the one that is fighting with Cloud against Sephiroth at the end, I think there's really only "our Aerith," it's just whether or not she has her memories of the future or not. I would assume that in this pocket world or whatever, that she does, maybe because she gave the WM to Cloud and she's clearly in close proximity to it? Regardless, she's able to access whatever pocket that Cloud and Sephiroth are in...maybe just because she was in the Forgotten Capital?

So the Aerith in the final battle being 'our' Aerith is part of why I think there's a splinter Aerith from the moment of death. I think during the events of the fight the wave-form hasn't collapsed and the two universes haven't fully separated yet, and Cloud is experiencing both. I think the her in the battle is the Aerith we see wake up, and the Aerith we see after that is the ghost of the actual dead Aerith. I have no clue how long splinter Aerith's world can sustain itself, mind.

IDK if there's a splinter Aerith, but I guess if the idea is that all fragments converge eventually it's not that consequential?

Yeah pretty much.

But people are saying that while our Aerith is dead, another suvived elsewhere. So technically what Nomura is saying is not wrong. But I still think there is no other Aerith or new world created at this very moment. She just died and Cloud refuse to see it. I really think in the end the Re-trilogy will not be so covulated as we think right now. People are talking about Splinter Aerith with dying words and so on, and I really think it's too complicated for nothing.

I don't really think the theme of acceptance of loss/moving through denial is going to work if the denial stance was actually correct because Aerith was technically alive somewhere else and we'll get to pull that Aerith into Beagleverse or w/e. That really just transgressive to the themes we're working with here.

It's because the dialogue for the actual confession non confession is so confusing on what Aerith is actually trying to say is it I like you but I don't know what kind of like? Or is it I like you and want you to know I'm saying it in a romantic way? Either way Cloud says your being weird and that's it? I also can't see Rebirth Aerith saying this or acting this way after what we've played in the main story and her obvious knowledge of Tifa and Cloud considering she speaks about Tifa in almost every situation. I really don't get what the Devs were going for here knowing that it's not even the same Aerith we have been playing with makes me not care as much

Ultimately, yeah, I think the main crux of the issue for me is that dream date!Aerith acts, in a lot of ways, like an Aerith that doesn't know what the future holds for her (though in some ways she clearly is aware). Like the whole sequence almost makes more sense if she wasn't in a dream.

Though in regards to the confession, I think introducing any amount of doubt is sort of self-explanatory. Especially if you contrast what Aerith says here with what Tifa says in ToTP, Nomura is generally intentional with the way he draws parallels.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
I read it as realizing she likes but doesn't LIKE Cloud and that he's the same way. Though I think this might be OG Aerith talking during the date sequence, getting her closure before doing the good deed.

At least we're already discussing things of the nature here so it's not a surprise, yeah, I getcha. Ask away here or in DMs. I'll do my best to loredump you in digestible chunks.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy

Yeah basically I describe the fandom like this you have a big city the main street is the game and the fans of the game story. This is the safe part of the city then you have the alleyways this is the dangerous part where people argue about ships and the canon actual events in the story- think stuff like the FF7 twitter community. This forum is sorta like the shops beside the alleyways we witness the stuff in the alley talking about it but don't get involved in it, we also discuss about the ships here but also the lore. The LTD is a love triangle debate basically the OG game came out 27 years ago and who Cloud loves was thought to be player choice though if we are being honest the game makes it clear who actually it is in the story but people straight up deny the story. The reason people may deny the story is because they prefer a character over another or they never finished the OG FF7 game. Since people are very dedicated to their ship for 27 years yes actually that long people have been in debates discussing mistranslation of Japanese words and information gleamed from books. Over time as more stuff got added to the lore it became in my opinion very clear Who Cloud loves it's actually important because of story reasons not just shipping reasons. Obviously when people have dedicated time to something that turns out to be wrong they get angered and refuse to accept it and instead argue about it. So they then start changing the story and spreading misinformation about characters downplaying character moments and basically changing the entire plot so their ship works. This confuses new players people try correcting them and then they start arguing and send random book quotes from Japanese books at each other. It's hard to talk about lore especially around characters because of the LTD with so many people saying the story is different and saying the other person is lying. It's best to form your own opinion then if you want to come back here listen and see if you agree with what people say. Or you might not care who Cloud loves in which case stay far away from the LTD XD for your own sanity. I've only known about the LTD for a few months now I think but it will make you question humanity and reading comprehension especially about a movie called advent children. Speaking of after playing Rebirth which character do you think Cloud likes romantically from just that game alone it's rare to have someone only play the one game XD

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
I still wish I could go back to just a month or so ago to when I had no idea about the LTD. Now look at me, pure brain rot.

I blame it all on Gongaga.
Sorry man, it happens, just be happy it happened to you now, hopefully three years before the final death throes, rather than 27 years ago as it was for some of us.

Run away, run away now, do not get caught up in this discussion. Just make up your own mind and then never talk to anyone about it again XD
You will hear someone say something that you think is factually incorrect, or just so alien that it motivates you to put in your two cents and that's it, you're stuck here now questioning your sanity.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
Though in regards to the confession, I think introducing any amount of doubt is sort of self-explanatory. Especially if you contrast what Aerith says here with what Tifa says in ToTP, Nomura is generally intentional with the way he draws parallels.
Didn't he also say specifically to experience ToTP ( and Crisis Core reunion) before Rebirth? If he did that also adds weight to it possibly being a parallel.

Also, can someone explain to me the specifics (or what you think) of the new timeline stuff? it still kind of confuses me. You can DM me or something since it's off topic. That would be appreciated, thanks.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
GUYS ! I think I've deciphered FF7R's new ending !! The whole whale thing was an eye-opener. After long hours of research and comparing information, I think I've got it all figured out. After our visit to Cosmo Canyon, we know how the cycle of life works. A person dies, returns to the LS and, after a random period, their energy gives life to a new person.

Clerith close your eyes. For the rest of you:

Once Sephiroth has been defeated, Aerith will have completed her mission and will dissolve in the LS. The post-credit scene will show Tifa giving birth. Cloud is holding the baby in his arms, when suddenly the notes of Aerith's theme ring out in our ears! Bravo Clerith, you've got your reunion wish !!!!

:yass: (:awesome:)

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
GUYS ! I think I've deciphered FF7R's new ending !! The whole whale thing was an eye-opener. After long hours of research and comparing information, I think I've got it all figured out. After our visit to Cosmo Canyon, we know how the cycle of life works. A person dies, returns to the LS and, after a random period, their energy gives life to a new person.

Once Sephiroth has been defeated, Aerith will have completed her mission and will dissolve in the LS. The post-credit scene will show Tifa giving birth. Cloud is holding the baby in his arms, when suddenly the notes of Aerith's theme ring out in our ears! Bravo Clerith, you've got your reunion wish !!!!

This would be symbolic but wow I fear for some of the takes if this happened

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie

And then a second baby is revealed, TWINS, ominous music starts playing, trumpets ring in the background. tadatadatada SEPHIROTH!!!!!

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶

That would be an Usagi Drop level twist lmao

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
I read it as realizing she likes but doesn't LIKE Cloud and that he's the same way. Though I think this might be OG Aerith talking during the date sequence, getting her closure before doing the good deed.
I also read it this way and thought most people would aswell but a lot think it's just a straight up confession. Though one take that's so funny I can't not say it is that Aerith saying arigatu in Japanese is actually meaning I love you somehow

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
I also read it this way and thought most people would aswell but a lot think it's just a straight up confession. Though one take that's so funny I can't not say it is that Aerith saying arigatu in Japanese is actually meaning I love you somehow
You know what the biggest hint is that it's not a confession? The fact that it's so god damn depressing. The whole scene doesn't exactly scream "we just discovered we love each other". You'd expect that after 27 years a scene where Cloud and Aerith confirm they love each other would have some gravitas, some unleashed desire, maybe fireworks in the background.....oh wait

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu

Legit I saw a doujin once where the plot was Ghost Zack and Aerith hovering around Cloud and Tifa and the finisher was Aerith telling Tfia - who could not hear this - that she planned on being reborn as Cloud and Tifa's daughter as soon as she could. The punchline was that Zack better hurry up and be reborn too because she wasn't gonna miss him the second time around, too.

That would be an Usagi Drop level twist lmao
Only not as cursed.

Do they think she said Aishiteru? Because.... No. That's not how that works.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
Sorry man, it happens, just be happy it happened to you now, hopefully three years before the final death throes, rather than 27 years ago as it was for some of us.
You are extremely correct.

However, I think after there were no games or anything for long periods of time I wouldn’t think about it anymore. Especially if it continued to be ambiguous I would have washed my hands of it.

With Remake and Rebirth it’s had this steady incline, and I’m excited for the climax. Like I’m hooked into an ongoing story that has an end. If that makes sense, hard to articulate.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer

CA fans would burn their entire collection if that happened.

Also, imagine Tifa giving birth and they just name it Aerith after her. Another “burn the collection” moment.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Legit I saw a doujin once where the plot was Ghost Zack and Aerith hovering around Cloud and Tifa and the finisher was Aerith telling Tfia - who could not hear this - that she planned on being reborn as Cloud and Tifa's daughter as soon as she could. The punchline was that Zack better hurry up and be reborn too because she wasn't gonna miss him the second time around, too.

Only not as cursed.

Do they think she said Aishiteru? Because.... No. That's not how that works.
Maybe it’s cuz of FFX? They localized “Thank you” to “I love you.”

Top Bottom