SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Rin

Pro Adventurer
I'm pretty sure Zack also does it in Crisis Core. A bit weird.
He does, yeah but I give leeway here bc it was his first time meeting her. It's not Cloud's first time lmao so it's like "K what are we trying to tell the audience by having Cloud refer to a woman whose spiritual energy he knows very well as 'Mother'?"

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
Well it really bothers me Cloud and Aerith get called related because ... they're not, and I don't think the devs have that intention in the slightest unless they are being deliberate with incest vibes with romantic framing.
Aah, I get why that would bother you and I hope you know I don't mean it as a dig at you or the ship. That's why I always say it's just how I saw their dynamic and add that they remind me of "anime siblings", lol. It's not an exact equivalent obviously but they kind of remind me of Taiga Kagami and Alexandra Garcia from Kuroko's Basketball, for example.

Maidenofwar

They/Them
Ah I was referring to the siblings thing, but yeah they get called parent/child, siblings, cousins ... lol.

PS Cloud had stuff on his mind, it didn't bother me, I liked when he "saved" Aerith on the ride, steering to evade from the object. There is also the "Words drowned by Fireworks" by what Cloud says as they entwined hands.

The "Mother" thing could be another parallel, they do like their parallels, I think SE maybe likes to pay respect and homage things a lot.

Reactions: LNK

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
He does, yeah but I give leeway here bc it was his first time meeting her. It's not Cloud's first time lmao so it's like "K what are we trying to tell the audience by having Cloud refer to a woman whose spiritual energy he knows very well as 'Mother'?"
Its interesting because Aerith teases how Cloud is too big to adopt.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
Up until the GS Aerith date, was Aerith aware that Tifa likes Cloud? I recall A and T wanting to talk about "first loves" in Junon. However, I do not know if that conversation ended up happening. I assume so based on T's concern for A after A went to Zack's parent's house. Also, throughout rebirth, it seems A is aware that something could be going on between C and T because she seems to tease it (water tower scene in Nibelheim) and A tells C to not take advantage of T's friendship (at kalm).

With this context, during the Aerith GS date, when A holds onto C's arms and says "she wants to be with C," is that A having a selfish moment to herself? Also, if she is close friends with T and is aware of the CT relationship, why would she pursue C? Do that make A a bad friend or being selfish in the moment? Although A says that C is not Z and she is ok with it, it felt like A was still lingering on Z and was smitten by that, esp when she talks about Z while holding her hand to her chest.

BTW - I have nothing against A, just trying to figure out why she acts that way given her character and the relationship she has with T.
I mean, probably? Yuffie knows that Tifa liked Cloud growing up, so Aerith probably does, too. But Tifa keeps her feelings close to her chest, so I doubt she framed it as "I liked him a lot back then and I like him a lot now, too." Her current feelings are probably the kind of secret she'd rather take to her grave.

Its interesting because Aerith teases how Cloud is too big to adopt.
Yeah, the entire sequence frames them as familial and therefore platonic.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
Up until the GS Aerith date, was Aerith aware that Tifa likes Cloud? I recall A and T wanting to talk about "first loves" in Junon. However, I do not know if that conversation ended up happening. I assume so based on T's concern for A after A went to Zack's parent's house. Also, throughout rebirth, it seems A is aware that something could be going on between C and T because she seems to tease it (water tower scene in Nibelheim) and A tells C to not take advantage of T's friendship (at kalm).
Surely she atleast knows Cloud loves/likes Tifa.

The reason I say this is because, as long as the translations were accurate, and I'm remembering correctly, Aerith told Cloud that lovers gave reunion flowers to each other, and that it would make a good gift for his girlfriend. She then sees the flower she gave Cloud in Seventh heaven and smiles.

Now I know that these are practically two different Aeriths, one knows the future to an extent and the other doesn't, but surely she still remembers these interactions, no?

Another reason it would be odd for her not to know, is that she's an emotionally intelligent person, so if Yuffie was able to pick up on those feelings and start teasing on basically the second day she's travelling with them, then surely Aerith also picked up on it.

EDIT: on second thought I kinda hope she didn't know what was between Cloud and Tifa, atleast during Kalm because if she did, then latching onto Cloud's arm and saying she was on a date with him in front of Tifa would be really, really mean. Now I know this scene has been discussed here before and, if I remember correctly the general conclusion reached was "Aerith doesn't know the weight behind the word 'date'" but it's still a really bad look for Aerith, especially when she clinged to him before saying it.

Last edited:

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer

The reason I say this is because, as long as the translations were accurate, and I'm remembering correctly, Aerith told Cloud that lovers gave reunion flowers to each other, and that it would make a good gift for his girlfriend. She then sees the flower she gave Cloud in Seventh heaven and smiles.

Now I know that these are practically two different Aeriths, one knows the future to an extent and the other doesn't, but surely she still remembers these interactions, no?

Another reason it would be odd for her not to know, is that she's an emotionally intelligent person, so if Yuffie was able to pick up on those feelings and start teasing on basically the second day she's travelling with them, then surely Aerith also picked up on it.
On the basis if Aerith knew, why would Aerith pursue Cloud? Does that paint her character in a bad light seeing how she was close to Tifa?

Also - Aerith said she is ok that Cloud is not Zack. Though on the surface it looks like she moved on from Zack, it doesn't feel so, esp when she puts her hand to her chest when she mentions "him" (Zack). It seems Aerith was infatuated in that moment and wanted to enjoy what she was feeling with Cloud.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶

This honestly is the stranger part of the LTD to me. Tifa and Aerith are best friends but Aerith is always pursuing Cloud and confessing. There’s no conflict of her caring what Tifa thinks or Tifa caring aside from the moment when they are leaving Kalm (the bunker).

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
On the basis if Aerith knew, why would Aerith pursue Cloud? Does that paint her character in a bad light seeing how she was close to Tifa?

Also - Aerith said she is ok that Cloud is not Zack. Though on the surface it looks like she moved on from Zack, it doesn't feel so, esp when she puts her hand to her chest when she mentions "him" (Zack). It seems Aerith was infatuated in that moment and wanted to enjoy what she was feeling with Cloud.
I think this is the nature of the odd spot Aerith finds herself in emotionally.

CC is so crucial for understanding her character because it contextualizes her state of emotional stasis until the plot of FF7 proper starts. 5 years left waiting/hoping beyond your better judgement that your person will come see you again in taxing. Tifa can relate to that to a degree but Shinra’s monitoring of Aerith kinda diverges that relatability.

Then in comes Cloud Strife, close enough to Zack to get her moving again, but not close enough to fill the Zack-shaped hole in her heart. It’s just enough to get her to the doorstep of destiny, to hear it beckon her to fulfill the planet’s memory.

All the while, she’s pushed and pulled by her head that tells her to stop dwelling on Zack and try out Cloud, and her heart that refuses to let go of Zack and be mindful of her new friend Tifa.

All of which would be nice to see hints of from her, but I’m assuming they may be saving it for the perspective change in part 3, where we the player get to see beyond Cloud’s perception more so than before? Hopefully, at least.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
Tifa and Aerith are best friends but Aerith is always pursuing Cloud and confessing
I'll give Aerith the benefit of the doubt and say it's not in bad faith, and that she is just trying to sort her feelings out. A ghost of your ex will do that to someone. Especially when you were already a relatively lonely person before and after he came into your life.

Just a quick thing to mention, on Aerith's GS date, and of course correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they kept the old localization of what is actually said by Aerith. She doesn't say "I want to be with you," she says "I want to meet you." Two very different sentences, especially accompanied by context, so it's very important to know the difference there.

Plus, I always felt that her line "Just until the end of ride," is basically her admitting that she knows how Cloud feels, it's sort of pleading, I guess?

It kind of implies Cloud wouldn't want it normally, and that she has to specify it's just for this short while.

This honestly is the stranger part of the LTD to me. Tifa and Aerith are best friends but Aerith is always pursuing Cloud and confessing. There’s no conflict of her caring what Tifa thinks or Tifa caring aside from the moment when they are leaving Kalm (the bunker).
This is another reason I hope the LTD will be over in part 3. I mean, it's already over, and was like a decade ago, but I mean so undeniably over that no gaslighting will ever be able to sway someone's opinion of it. I want irrefutable proof, the kind of proof that puts people spreading nasty things about the topic or characters in their place as nothing but toxic shippers, with no room for debate.

It does absolutely no favours for all three characters involved (four if we count Zack, he's collateral damage in all this.)

I mean, even if these games were a Clerithfest, would people really prefer to see Aerith as the kind of unkind, mean woman who would do something like that to her best friend? Because I saw on twitter somebody saying Aerith was "cunt" (in a positive way, in the sense that she is being a strong woman, because I'm pretty sure that's a way for people to use the word nowadays) for clinging to Cloud's arm and basically saying "mine!" in the ghost trainyard, right in front of Tifa. And it's important to note that this Aerith 100% does know about Tifa's feelings, since it's an Aerith who has knowledge of the future.

And before you say it, yes, I do know that the "mine!" isn't actually said there, it's only a localisation/translation, and that Aerith isn't actually that kind of person. It still doesn't change the fact that people were encouraging this kind of behaviour from her.

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
All of which would be nice to see hints of from her, but I’m assuming they may be saving it for the perspective change in part 3, where we the player get to see beyond Cloud’s perception more so than before? Hopefully, at least.
What do you mean by this?

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Aerith honestly puts off some people because of that. My husband has harsh words for her, a thing I didn’t think he would. But a lot of players thought ill of her because she kept pursuing Cloud even though she knew there was something between Cloud and Tifa.

I told a moot just yesterday that Aerith does need a lot of thinking over for people who don’t like this side of her to understand her character. But not a lot are willing to think about it. So I get it if they don’t like her because they see her actions and she’s never being called out for what she does. This actually is a problem because no woman was in the writing room to check, because a woman would’ve picked this immediately.

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
What do you mean by this?
Assuming we get a segment where other characters get to be the “main character” for a time, I wonder if we will get more insight into what the others were thinking throughout Rebirth.

There’s obviously conversations happening outside of Cloud’s earshot, so are some about his obviously deteriorating mental state? Do other characters bring up Aerith’s open flirting when Cloud ( and maybe Tifa ) aren’t around?

When Aerith is running around with Zack, is she going to talk through her emotions/thoughts at the time to help him understand where Cloud sits in her heart?

I’d bet money that section will get added time to do just that before we focus the camera back on Cloud. It’s a good chance to show players the slope he will need to climb to earn their trust back, and give Aerith and Zack some screentime before becoming arbiters of the greater plot.

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
Aerith honestly puts off some people because of that. My husband has harsh words for her, a thing I didn’t think he would. But a lot of players thought ill of her because she kept pursuing Cloud even though she knew there was something between Cloud and Tifa.

I told a moot just yesterday that Aerith does need a lot of thinking over for people who don’t like this side of her to understand her character. But not a lot are willing to think about it. So I get it if they don’t like her because they see her actions and she’s never being called out for what she does. This actually is a problem because no woman was in the writing room to check, because a woman would’ve picked this immediately.
Its even more confusing when you consider the remake like she is telling herself: "whatever happens don't fall in love with me, even if you think you have, its not real," -- Why does she warn herself and then still pursue Cloud?

In the GS date, it seems she seems to ask Cloud for a favour when she says: "just until the ride is over" as she holds onto his arm.

Then in the dream date, she says: "just play along" as she goes on a date.

Why is she pursuing him twice? Unless she is not connecting the dots because she is blinded by her infatuation.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
Its even more confusing when you consider the remake like she is telling herself: "whatever happens don't fall in love with me, even if you think you have, its not real," -- Why does she warn herself and then still pursue Cloud?
Simple answer for this is that it's a different Aerith saying not to fall in love w/ her, so this wouldn't apply to Rebirth Aerith either way.

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
Assuming we get a segment where other characters get to be the “main character” for a time, I wonder if we will get more insight into what the others were thinking throughout Rebirth.

There’s obviously conversations happening outside of Cloud’s earshot, so are some about his obviously deteriorating mental state? Do other characters bring up Aerith’s open flirting when Cloud ( and maybe Tifa ) aren’t around?

When Aerith is running around with Zack, is she going to talk through her emotions/thoughts at the time to help him understand where Cloud sits in her heart?

I’d bet money that section will get added time to do just that before we focus the camera back on Cloud. It’s a good chance to show players the slope he will need to climb to earn their trust back, and give Aerith and Zack some screentime before becoming arbiters of the greater plot.
Yea, I don't know how they are going to handle the ZA stuff without it being messy. Before ZA have a reunion, Aerith's feelings towards Cloud and Zack needs to be clarified. Do you see ZA having more than one scene together having a conversation? Or more of an information dump in a single scene?

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
Simple answer for this is that it's a different Aerith saying not to fall in love w/ her, so this wouldn't apply to Rebirth Aerith either way.
Didn't the dev say that she was telling that to herself? What is the point of warning herself if there is no follow-up to it?

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
This is off topic, but if anyone here feels I have an interpretation/opinion that is any type of misogynistic, disrespectful, or politically incorrect, please feel free to call me out on it, because when discussing this topic, at it's core we are talking about relationships between men and women, and since I'm not very experienced with that kind of thing, sometimes I feel a bit out of my depth, and am scared that I might say something that could offend and or hurt someones feelings.

EDIT: Just to add a bit of context for why I felt the need to say this, in my last couple of posts I have been talking about stuff between women, and what might upset another woman, so as I've just said I feel a bit out of my depth, and I'm worried I might have said something incorrect about women.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
Didn't the dev say that she was telling that to herself? What is the point of warning herself if there is no follow-up to it?
Yeah, she is talking to herself but she's not talking to her Remake/Rebirth self lol Confusing, I know.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
It’s because our Aerith doesn’t know that’s the problem. As I said this stuff is just too complicated for players since most don’t follow everything the devs say or the Ultimanias. To me it’s really an error, even though you can guess that dream date Aerith isn’t our Aerith, then which is she?

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
Yea, I don't know how they are going to handle the ZA stuff without it being messy. Before ZA have a reunion, Aerith's feelings towards Cloud and Zack needs to be clarified. Do you see ZA having more than one scene together having a conversation? Or more of an information dump in a single scene?
I think you’ll get about as much of them as you got Zack in Rebirth. Wouldn’t be shocked if it opens with a happy reunion, but the end of their first scene is ominous.

Second scene can quickly hint that he’s been brought up to speed on what players know, and then anymore info dumps will also benefit us as well as Zack.

I don’t think it’ll take much to clear the air, especially when more crucial problems present themselves. Zack’s scenes all served the purpose of his pursuit of Aerith, so with them together the focus moves to whatever Aerith needs to do LS side.

A-to-Z

Lv. 25 Adventurer
This is why I never liked the affinity system, because it muddles the characterizations for the players. The affinity system enables the players to make Cloud pursue the character they prefer, so we have to constantly remind ourselves how the character acts based on those points earned are dependent on Cloud’s actions. Besides the dream date, our Aerith only pursues Cloud if Cloud pursued her first. Aerith GS date only happens because Cloud chose to spend time with her multiple times beforehand, so she addresses the elephant in the room, which to her is the very nature of how Cloud carries himself can’t help but remind her of her first love. The thing a lot of people seem to miss is that even Aerith draws a line in the CA GS date; because the ambiguously romantic actions she initiated there should be contextualized by the line she says “just until the ride’s over.”

Regarding Tifa and Aerith, I always remind myself that there are no established boyfriend-girlfriend dynamics at this point of the story, not even between CT at least before the GS kiss, and this is because Cloud’s conflict regarding his identity and his false memories is the biggest obstacle to their romantic arcs resolving (for both women, CA/CT concerned). I imagine if such a discussion ever occurred between Tifa and Aerith, both of them would say “I like Cloud, but I’m not sure. He’s been acting strange.” Tifa would say he’s not acting like himself, and Aerith would say he acts too much like Zack to the point that it’s suspicious. Both of them should be confused about Cloud— and thus their own feelings for him as well.

The dream date happens in a world where Zack and Tifa both seem to not exist, (Zack might as well be still dead there) and it’s implied it’s not even our Aerith, even if it was a future Aerith, how would she know if Tifa became sure she loves Cloud at that point? Because Cloud is still wearing his Soldier persona. She couldn’t have known that they kissed too. (I believe the GS dates are inconsequential to the larger narrative, but still have accurate and canon characterizations) And let’s say she does know Cloud’s feelings for Tifa because of the flower scene in Remake part1, is it really wrong for her to double check whether or not Cloud has any romantic interest for her?

Don’t forget Cloud also allowed her to hold hands with him and lets her pose with him like a couple. Cloud doesn’t even reject Aerith, and whenever he does draw boundaries, it’s not as harsh as he did with Jessie, because I believe he has a deeper level of trust with Aerith. There’s a reason why Cloud himself doesn’t see Aerith’s actions as desperate or crossing the line (even if the players would).

I get how a lot of people who did the CT route where they kiss became uncomfortable with the dream date, (and I also think that sequence was written to evoke feelings of doubt in the players, “something’s not right”) but I’m just generally against putting Aerith under an unfair level of scrutiny when the characters themselves are depicted to be completely fine with her. If both Tifa and Cloud are fine with her, and every character in the story is too, why should I intentionally nitpick her actions? Don’t get me wrong, everyone is free to have opinions but I think assuming that all the information that is made available to the players is also available to the characters themselves is wrong.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
To me it’s really an error, even though you can guess that dream date Aerith isn’t our Aerith, then which is she?
I realized while replaying last night that dream date Aerith may actually be an Aerith who escaped her fate like Zack did. It would explain why they're in such similar worlds but can't actually meet yet. When the black feather rains down from the sky during the date w/ Cloud in S5, Sephiroth says, "So this is where you've been hiding... In a world that has already accepted it's fate, just as you must." This line tells us a lot:

1. He's been searching for her, it's why we see him cross through Zack's world but she's not there obviously.
2. She's been actively hiding from him in these worlds and hasn't "accepted" her fate yet which means this Aerith hasn't died yet

This is a rather good explanation for why the devs refer to her as "an Aerith who is closest to the future" and not an Aerith who has already died. If she's in a similar predicament to Zack and living in some sort of limbo, this could be why her feelings are so stagnant and she's so confused because she literally cannot move forward at all.

Assuming dream date Aerith and resolution scene Aerith are the same (which seems to be the case), she's ruminating on the fact that she may have escaped death but she's lonelier than she's ever been before. "Everyone dies eventually..." may be her thinking that dying wouldn't have been so bad in the end if this is the only alternative.

Now as @Biscuit brought up a few pages back, the dream date could have actually happened before the resolution scene for this Aerith as in Rebirth, she's pondering on her feelings for Cloud but in Remake she seems rather sure that any romantic feelings between them aren't real at all and is reminding herself of this fact.

Last edited:

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
This is why I never liked the affinity system, because it muddles the characterizations for the players. The affinity system enables the players to make Cloud pursue the character they prefer, so we have to constantly remind ourselves how the character acts based on those points earned are dependent on Cloud’s actions. Besides the dream date, our Aerith only pursues Cloud if Cloud pursued her first. Aerith GS date only happens because Cloud chose to spend time with her multiple times beforehand, so she addresses the elephant in the room, which to her is the very nature of how Cloud carries himself can’t help but remind her of her first love. The thing a lot of people seem to miss is that even Aerith draws a line in the CA GS date; because the ambiguously romantic actions she initiated there should be contextualized by the line she says “just until the ride’s over.”

Regarding Tifa and Aerith, I always remind myself that there are no established boyfriend-girlfriend dynamics at this point of the story, not even between CT at least before the GS kiss, and this is because Cloud’s conflict regarding his identity and his false memories is the biggest obstacle to their romantic arcs resolving (for both women, CA/CT concerned). I imagine if such a discussion ever occurred between Tifa and Aerith, both of them would say “I like Cloud, but I’m not sure. He’s been acting strange.” Tifa would say he’s not acting like himself, and Aerith would say he acts too much like Zack to the point that it’s suspicious. Both of them should be confused about Cloud— and thus their own feelings for him as well.

The dream date happens in a world where Zack and Tifa both seem to not exist, (Zack might as well be still dead there) and it’s implied it’s not even our Aerith, even if it was a future Aerith, how would she know if Tifa became sure she loves Cloud at that point? Because Cloud is still wearing his Soldier persona. She couldn’t have known that they kissed too. (I believe the GS dates are inconsequential to the larger narrative, but still have accurate and canon characterizations) And let’s say she does know Cloud’s feelings for Tifa because of the flower scene in Remake part1, is it really wrong for her to double check whether or not Cloud has any romantic interest for her?

Don’t forget Cloud also allowed her to hold hands with him and lets her pose with him like a couple. Cloud doesn’t even reject Aerith, and whenever he does draw boundaries, it’s not as harsh as he did with Jessie, because I believe he has a deeper level of trust with Aerith. There’s a reason why Cloud himself doesn’t see Aerith’s actions as desperate or crossing the line (even if the players would).

I get how a lot of people who did the CT route where they kiss became uncomfortable with the dream date, (and I also think that sequence was written to evoke feelings of doubt in the players, “something’s not right”) but I’m just generally against putting Aerith under an unfair level of scrutiny when the characters themselves are depicted to be completely fine with her. If both Tifa and Cloud are fine with her, and every character in the story is too, why should I intentionally nitpick her actions? Don’t get me wrong, everyone is free to have opinions but I think assuming that all the information that is made available to the players is also available to the characters themselves is wrong.
How did you interpret the dream date in regards to Aerith's feelings? Or Cloud's feelings? What do you think the purpose was to have the Zack scenes cut back and forth between that sequence?

Also, do you think these are references to Zack or do they mean nothing?
1. The stamp dog having a similar likeness to Zack
2. Then Aerith mentions "place of memories," it cuts to Zack at the church
3. When Aerith takes the clip, she says: "I'll treasure this," (same line she says to Zack in CC)

Last edited:

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer

I believe in the TOTP novel, Tifa realizes admits she loves Cloud. Although Cloud has an identity crisis in remake/rebirth, I don't think that causes Tifa to not know how to feel about him. I think she has always loved him and that has never changed. However, its Cloud's identity crisis that prevents the CT relationship from moving forward, specifically from Cloud's end.

Top Bottom