SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

frosty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Snowman
is really the only guy she's interested in, she could do way better.
I beat Crisis Core and I maybe a Zackbro/sis.
I've always said if Tifa was a real life girlfriend of mine at the peak of AC, I'd take her out to a nice restaurant, open a bottle of wine and be "baby girl, I know you and him have so much history, but you're beautiful and hot and strong can do so much better than this guy who clearly has issues, won't see a therapist and just wants to do delivery for a living.

If he still goes missing for too long, hit me up, i might know a lawyer who can advise you on defacto marriage breakup entitlements and you can finally get rid of that gaudy ass bike you bought him"

(Jokes, but half serious lol)

Rin

Pro Adventurer
I've always said if Tifa was a real life girlfriend of mine at the peak of AC, I'd take her out to a nice restaurant, open a bottle of wine and be "baby girl, I know you and him have so much history, but you're beautiful and hot and strong can do so much better than this guy who clearly has issues, won't see a therapist and just wants to do delivery for a living.

If he still goes missing for too long, hit me up, i might know a lawyer who can advise you on defacto marriage breakup entitlements and you can finally get rid of that gaudy ass bike you bought him"

(Jokes, but half serious lol)
Same cause if we were friends irl, I'd be like "Break up with him. You're too hot for this."

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
Same cause if we were friends irl, I'd be like "Break up with him. You're too hot for this."
Which imo is kinda the problem with Cloud if I’m completely honest.

What part of Tifa’s life is improved through being with him? Same question even if you switch Tifa for Aerith.

That’s what I need to see out of all this in the end. Tifa and Cloud are obviously meant for eachother, but by being so wishy washy about their relationship beyond the original story, it just looks like a stilted relationship.

Love how Tifa is characterized, but I need Cloud to make some gains as a desirable domestic partner for the sake of his character.

frosty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Snowman
pxl_pusher said:
Love how Tifa is characterized, but I need Cloud to make some gains as a desirable domestic partner for the sake of his character.
I guess if we want to be charitable to Cloud he does help her rebuild her bar so she has some semblance of normal life.

It is implied that if she's ever in trouble , he'd still rush to her rescue.

If you take the expanded compilation i.e. Dissidia he'd still do stupid things like take on a God to keep her safe.

But domestic dad Cloud is still kinda lacking😂

Eerie

Fire and Blood
We don’t know if women wrote to Nomura to complain, he only mentioned that women did complain to him (I’ve the quote at home). They probably did mind you but in the end we don’t know.

Also CAs are apparently all over an Ultimania FR quote? I’m not sure how that’d happen given it’s not even in the work lol. The lie is so blatant I laughed right away. Edit: found out the truth it’s a JP CA giving their opinion but of course the Ultimania never mentions anything close.

Last edited:

frosty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Snowman
I really need to play Dissidia lol
Dissidia is weird in that the Cloud characterisation is still the AC one where he's all emo and mopey, so don't expect too much there.

And after he takes on Sephiroth to protect Tifa, he's like "I'll go take on Chaos to stop this whole cycle of war from repeating itself, so Tifa can be he spared!"

And he gets his ass handed to him anyway and she dies anyway. Sorry Cloud, I know the intention is pure but you didn't really do much 😂

Dissidia also opened up Nakama-gate because his dying wish /last thought was "save her, my precious comrade(nakama), Tifa" and those pro-Cloud Aerith were having a field day.

Funny now this nakama thing came full circle.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Yeah Dissidia happened during the time Cloud is away from 7th Heaven iirc. And quite frankly I was pissed at the nakama line.

I’m saying but the devs have a lot to do to undo all the shit they’ve done to CT and Cloud’s characterisation.

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
I guess if we want to be charitable to Cloud he does help her rebuild her bar so she has some semblance of normal life.

It is implied that if she's ever in trouble , he'd still rush to her rescue.

If you take the expanded compilation i.e. Dissidia he'd still do stupid things like take on a God to keep her safe.

But domestic dad Cloud is still kinda lacking😂
I just want to be shown what their dynamic is like outside of the lowest pit of depression they’re both going through lol that’d be nice.

Maybe Tifa is great at taking care of others and going full force, but Cloud is the only one who can tell when she’s pushing herself too hard and burning the stick at both ends? I dunno, give me something.

Tifa obviously just wants a normal life, so how does Cloud help give that to her? That’s the question SE needs give to us for this whole thing to finally come to a close, in my mind.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
The Reunion re release.
Ditto on Tifa but Sephi is my second favorite with Zack being third.
That's fair. Zack Fair (I'm sorry).

So what were your thoughts? Favorite part? Favorite character? Did you feel it made Zack an endearing character?

What is your literary perspective on Loveless? sips wine

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Weren’t the phones in AC also based on a specific phone model that came out around the time it released? And it’s also the phone model that could play Before Crisis? I very vaguely remember that being a thing but I could be mistaken.
They were indeed a specific real world phone and yes, they could play before crisis.

Interesting insight though. Can’t say for sure due to lack of knowledge on my part, but I wouldn’t be shocked if a cultural barrier also makes Cloud and Tifa’s relationship seem odd to anyone outside of Japan.
Same here.

You know, one thing that would make Cloud's exile a little better would be if he was still sending money home to the 7th heaven. Wouldn't fully excuse his behavior, but it would show he hadn't given up on providing for them.

Dissidia is weird in that the Cloud characterisation is still the AC one where he's all emo and mopey, so don't expect too much there.

And after he takes on Sephiroth to protect Tifa, he's like "I'll go take on Chaos to stop this whole cycle of war from repeating itself, so Tifa can be he spared!"

And he gets his ass handed to him anyway and she dies anyway. Sorry Cloud, I know the intention is pure but you didn't really do much 😂

Dissidia also opened up Nakama-gate because his dying wish /last thought was "save her, my precious comrade(nakama), Tifa" and those pro-Cloud Aerith were having a field day.

Funny now this nakama thing came full circle.
The thing is though, even with nakama-gate, 012 pissed in the clerith cornflakes because Tifa was Cloud's 'reason for fighting' in the final war depicted in the first game and they had pinned so many hopes on it being Aerith.

That's fair. Zack Fair (I'm sorry).

So what were your thoughts? Favorite part? Favorite character? Did you feel it made Zack an endearing character?

What is your literary perspective on Loveless? sips wine
And most importantly, how many meters up his own ass is Genesis's head?

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
In this case, "tragic" doesn't mean "she died too soon" it means "she had to deal with some shit" but they still want her to win in the end. It's a specific archetype they want. A literally romantic era notion of the tragic heroine who suffers many misfortunes but who endures them all and is rewarded in the end with the love of the man and horrible things happening to her antagonists without her actually causing their downfall.

Thank you for reminding me why I hate romantic era tropes. If I'm getting a tragic heroine who endures much hardship, I'd like very much if her reward is bringing about the antagonist's downfall herself.

But yeah, the next time someone says they want the tragic heroine to come back to life, literally ask them "but how is that actually tragic?" It's not tragic when it happens in Fire Emblem (the Blazing Blade) and Ninian comes back to life. No one thinks of Ninian as a tragic heroine because she gets to marry Eliwood and give birth to Roy. Hell, we wouldn't even call Hector (another character in the same games) a tragic hero because we saw his eventual death in the sequel game set almost 20 years later.

I don't even know who any of these Fire Emblem fuckers are and I don't need to, you're right.

I actually have brought points like this up before to demonstrate how specious many of their arguments are, and adding in Tidus and Yuna into the mix. Likewise bringing up that Cloud and Tifa were Guardian and Summoner in their Ergheiz appearance. I often would finish off these arguments with "Now these are shit arguments, and I would never actually use them in a real debate, but they're STILL better than the bullshit you're trying to feed me" or words to similar effect.

I've seen him do it folks. The best ever, he'd both begin and end with a disclaimer concerning the shit arguments and his obvious unwillingness to actually use said arguments in a debate... And people like BB would ignore the disclaimer! Pretend it was Tifa herself and ignore it so they could "debunk" the shit argument. Friggin' unbelievable is what that was.

Smash Bros seems to have passed them by.

Being a CAltist is no fun. I'm so glad SSBU didn't pass me by.

I think most of them swore off trying to use fighting games after getting burned hard by pinning their hopes on Dissidia before 012 came out.

That's sort of like progress, right? They learned from a mistake, good for them.

I just wanted to bring up a point about the actual mechanics of the AV mechanic. If you want to dive into it there's a FAQ on gamefaqs with a full breakdown of the ways and amounts you can affect the values. The only thing it does not mention is the specific value threshhold the High Affection date triggers at.

I remember having enough free time to deep dive on shit like this. I didn't do it, but I totally had time.

But you see that's different because Zack is in the past. For reasons. The mean Aerith isn't also in the past despite being dead like Zack.

Remember the position they're arguing from. When you[a['re backed into a corner with nowhere to go[/s] start from the position that Cloud loves Aerith, then Zack is in the past because Aerith moved on with Cloud, and despite her slight case of death Aerith isn't the past because Cloud never moved on. If BB we're here she'd say this nearly verbatim. After all, it's just common sense :awesomonster:

Speaking as someone who played the game for the first time when it was still new, I think you qualify. And welcome aboard.

This :monster:

It becomes harder and harder to miss the signs. And yet some do so assiduously.

It's easy with the OG, you just cover your eyes whenever Tifa is on screen/is mentioned in any capacity. I imagine a lot of the cope right now is thanks to voice acting, it's much harder to blind and deafen yourself for a huge chunk of the game.

Or even worse "She said she'd be waiting for us, Tifa. She misses you most of all."

If SE actually did this? Shut up and take my money.

TOTK bullshit and youtube is not a mistake, unless no koroks were sent to space.

I like finding them under rocks. I always drop the rock on their head, then Ashley adorably apologized on my behalf. We've been doing it since BOTW and it's never not cute as fuck.

At this point I don't think I could.

I doubt they could earn it.

It's such a strange place to decide he died at, though. He got stabbed in the shoulder with magical ice and magical healing exists.

You're not wrong, of course. It's still less batshit than a lot of FF related internet postings imo, but also still decidedly crack despite that.

Yeah, still plugging away for CxA and still active on both Gamefaqs and the FFWiki.

JFC, I sometimes wonder why we still do this after all this time, and we're right. I can't imagine being that dedicated to being wrong for so long.

Also I technically owe Drake a Gym Badge, damn it. Still lightly salty about that loss.

I think Angelalex might also be around on GFaqs too.

I... don't remember who that is. I'm assuming that like Drake they were largely inoffensive, at least in comparison to A/BB/C? And never signed up for League membership?

I've seen his posts every so often. Yep.

Good to hear. I really do miss the contrast: you making well researched arguments with receipts in hand for every point made, him yelling like a Heavy Weapons Guy to cry some miae, babies! Good times.

I can handle this shit. I cut my teeth on flat earthers and evolution deniers.

Ahhh, good to remember in in the grand scheme of denying the obvious and proven truth, CAltists are actually small time lightweights.

Protect their source from being not real, because it's basically the only thing they have to prop up the belief that Japan is super Clerith and thus it's the canon ship.

So fucked. I mean, c'mon. Even if we granted them their little fake WacDonald's interview (which we would never do) that's still an appeal to the masses. It's a lie used to defend a logical fallacy. It's dishonesty squared[/] ffs.

How after all these years do they still surprise me?

Yep. Like a poisonous animal letting you know it's better to stay away.

I wanna get one of those tattoo flash coloring books, find a good nasty rattlesnake tat, and borrow the kids pink crayons. Glorious.

I actually got a bit confused about the sub difference as I mistook a cloti post in the general FF7 subreddit for the cloti subreddit, but even then the difference is 640 to 4k.

Still a hell of a ratio.

It's very good. I have wanted to "race" against someone playing LttP vanilla for the first time while I do a rando.

Can't help you there, I've been through vanilla LttP quite a few times. Sounds like a jam to me though.

Their heads would explode from the tension and fear. Of course it's terrifying.

Throw up the classic Scanners gif.

You're thinking of Whelks.

fingersnap of recognition Damn you're right. How did old timey news reporters get into it?

Well it might be time to get the tingly from the electrical socket for the time being.

That's the bad tingle. Makes my beard smoke. Bad times :monster:

Her attempts to cheat did her no good anyways.

That's a helluva thing for a ninja to face up to.

Common ground. ... I miss that coffee shop.

And she even puts on sunglasses for it.

If Vincent is in on this I guess he just has to exist, right? Like, stand in the corner and brood, it's enough.

That is is. But in this case I think it's good dumb fun.

Fair play. I rarely say no to good dumb fun.

Yeah, I'd want to hold onto all the cutlery in the immediate area.

Yow, maybe not at my place. That's a lot of cutlery for one dude to hold at once. You grab the war axe, that was your preference back in the day right?

We're the old soldiers who refuse to fade away.

No degradation here, no sir.

Same here.

:monster:

And that's why the Silver Haired Boys want to make everyone watch "The Spirits Within"

Ahhh it's sad cause I actually like that movie, early CGI dead eyed characters and all.

It's a handy concept.

Extremely so. I learn a lot hanging in the LTD. You know, this is where I learned what a Teal Deer is? Where I had my first No True Scotsman? It's crazy to think, but hey, everything is educational if you wanna learn right?

I like this affirmative. I hope it catches on.

If he stuck the dismount and told them while they were wrong it'd be better, but I can't blame him.

To be fair, I recall him doing just that now and then between BAAAAWs. He was capable. His posts just tended to have a very "mother fucker did you not hear me the first time" vibe.

So, on that front, for a time in Japan you would have an identity tied with a phone, a custom name or email address, and that would go out in correspondence rather than the recipient setting a unique name in their own phone. That was the case in the era of flip phones. It might have been Tifa who set the phone ID as "7th Heaven" rather than Cloud not saving her by name.

JTDC, early 2000's Japan, who's idea was this?

That of course changed with the adoption of smartphones as opposed to flip phones and the Retrilogy has subtly moved phone and TV technology forward by roughly, oh, 27 years. So if we get a new ACR, for example, that seen will be very different as Cloud won't be repping a specific flip phone brand any more.

Product placement is still so fucking weird.

Cloud has his positives for sure, the issue with ACC is that we don't get to see them much and then it's followed up with yet another short story lol like whyyyy just put it all in the movieeee

I think one of the reasons ACC Cloud seems so off is that his positives are twisted all out of shape by his emotional state and mental health crisis. Like you can still see them, they just aren't expressing as actual positives at this point.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
Smash Bros seems to have passed them by. I think most of them swore off trying to use fighting games after getting burned hard by pinning their hopes on Dissidia before 012 came out.
Is that not the one with the "The one I really want to meet is....." and the flower fields? The one they rave about?

Or is that the one where Cloud dies after fighting a god alone for Tifa's sake?
and watched the world shift and change in real time. Just the inclusion of same-sex relationships and queer NPCs is a massive sign of how open minded they've become, so I have hope that they'll rectify ACC Cloti somehow, someway.
You can even see their change in stance when it comes to same-sex relationships from the original.

I swear that in the original, on the Barret date, Cloud and Barret get turned away from being the couple to participate in the play, just because they're both lads. Definitely not a good look.
But you see that's different because Zack is in the past. For reasons. The mean Aerith isn't also in the past despite being dead like Zack.
Exactly. Everyday it gets funnier listen to people say that Zack is "just in the past", yet Aerith isn't, and she's not allowed to be "just in the past", especially given the time frame and circumstances around Cloud and Aerith's time together compared to Zack and Aerith's.

"Because of the flower fields in Hawaii that just happened to be there! He's still looking for her even though that directly contradicts the message Advent Children is trying to teach you! He lived the rest of his as roommates with Tifa forcing her to take care of his and Aerith's spiritual love child, just sticking around and putting on a smile to placate her. No, I'm not crazy!"
If he stuck the dismount and told them while they were wrong it'd be better, but I can't blame him.
Sometimes he does. Although it's more him going "look, point A and point B, connect the dots yourself and what's the natural conclusion you come to?"

He just refuses to connect said dots for them.
Or even worse "She said she'd be waiting for us, Tifa. She misses you most of all."
and then they kiss, oh sorry, interlock fingers (lovers tie and all that), and then we all live happily ever after.

Except for...yknow.
It becomes harder and harder to miss the signs. And yet some do so assiduously.
Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Seriously though, surely after the "for the one I love" page was released they would have just given up, how can you feign ignorance to that and not feel even the slightest bit stupid? A 13 year old boy resolving to send himself to war for the girl next door isn't indicative of any romantic feelings, apparently. Cloud wanting to save Aerith from a highly corrupt corporation who's already his enemy is proof he's fallen in love at first sight with Aerith, though (while he's got brain damage, at that).

But then they can't even get their story straight, they'll turn around and say "he realised his feelings for her too late, and that's why he acts the way he does in Advent Children."

But then also claim his "I think I can meet her there" is him rejecting Tifa in favour of Aerith.

One day it's "love at first sight" and then the next it's "realised too late".

One day it's "star-crossed lovers" and then the next it's "soulmates".

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
Yeah, they really didn't want Cloud out the party, even post game It's Cloud and your three chosen party members running around, they didn't want you to take him out main game or even have switch party members in battle mechanic.
At least you can choose to not use him in your party in chapter select. I basically didn't use Cloud at all besides for his mandatory sections on my second run, couse i just didn't enjoy using him as much as some other characters.

Though yeah it's a bit annoying that he's still the character running around at all times.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
While it annoyed me too, I think the simplest explanation is that this is supposed to be Aerith's game, her time to shine since she (hopefully) won't have nearly as much screen time in part 3, so they want you to experience Aerith's sidequests.

The same way the affection system in the original was biased towards Aerith...because they wanted to get you attached to her before she inevitably kicked the bucket.
I mean, if we're talking biased then Red is the easiest outcome to get. Game gives Red the most quests up till you get to chapter 12 where the date is and unless you as a player go around and do the rest of the quests right away, you'll likely get Red as your companion for "rushing" through chapter 12. I don't like the imbalance of quest distribution there personally alongside the "locked behing other quests" idea.

But yeah, Aerith i think is basically on even grounds with Tifa as far as them getting quests and other affection raising bits goes. Red is the one where the bias seems to be because they chose to frontload his quests versus the rest of the cast, who all have multiple quests to do from chapter 12 onwards still, while Red only has 1 more left at that point.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
and even then, the whispers are preventing her from helping him, take a guess why.
I actually never thought about that. They do surround Tifa, but if Cloud was already unreachable at that point and they didn't need to then why? Or maybe Sephi was just like "okay enough of that pointless stuff Tifa, now go sit in that corner while my puppet does his thing" :mon: .

Real answer is probably just so we can have that 1 on 1 with Aerith like we did in OG. Though without Cloud beating her up this time ofc.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Maybe I'm lucky lol.

Basically, my philosophy in Rebirth was: Screw them. I'm not the one who'll miss out on content because of your crappy affection system, so fate (and your calculation) will decide.

So I did all the available content each time before moving on to the main story trigger.
And... I got Tifa for both dates. When I checked the stats with the new game plus option, Tifa was at 98% and Aerith at 96%. Tifa was my partner because I used all the Team up skills in combat + my answers were better to her dialogues.

Given that Tifa was my date in 1999 and I played the OG without a guide, I think fate has plans for me😎

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
If we are actually going to get a confession from Cloud to Tifa, it better not be some weak shit like "suki" or something, I want full-on commitment.

They should just go straight for the "aishiteru wa" if you ask me, especially because Sephiroth specifically uses "aisuru" when he's talking about who Jenova can become to fool her prey, accompanied by the fact that Cloud suspects it's Tifa.

But I doubt that they will, since Tifa's "Words aren't the only way" wouldn't hold as much significance since...Cloud is able to convey his feelings in words if he told her. I know the line still makes sense and would still imply intimacy, but it wouldn't make as much sense for Cloud to be all "Umm I-I don't know to tell you this" to make her say the line if he literally did tell her using words only a few days beforehand.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Aishiteru is rarely used because it’s really strong though… but Cloud used aishimono in Gongaga to repeat Sephiroth’s words so IDK lol. I’m hoping for it because of Akira’s song but that’s maybe too much since the LS scene is a love confession in itself so maybe it’s referring to that.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
But I doubt that they will, since Tifa's "Words aren't the only way" wouldn't hold as much significance since...Cloud is able to convey his feelings in words if he told her. I know the line still makes sense and would still imply intimacy, but it wouldn't make as much sense for Cloud to be all "Umm I-I don't know to tell you this" to make her say the line if he literally did tell her using words only a few days beforehand.

Remember that LS Cloud is not "really" Real Cloud. It's his subconscious. So even if they confess before, you can still make them shy (like the GS date started to forshadow lol) and use the famous line here when this time it's for real.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
Aishiteru is rarely used because it’s really strong though… but Cloud used aishimono in Gongaga to repeat Sephiroth’s words so IDK lol. I’m hoping for it because of Akira’s song but that’s maybe too much since the LS scene is a love confession in itself so maybe it’s referring to that.
Yes, that's exactly what I mean, it's strong. It's been used regarding them before with all the Jenova talk, so it would be nice if they capitalized off of that.

And anyway, by that point people should be able to pick up on the fact that Cloud and Tifa feel strongly about each other, so using a strong phrase would only reinforce that, it wouldn't be out of the blue, and would also be the actual sledgehammer to end this stupid "debate". No more "in Japan" this and "japanese culture" that.

We see said strong feelings in:

Tifa claiming that he's all she cares about and that she will care for him every hour of the last week of her life, knowing that he'll probably never recover.

Cloud having his entire personality and life goals shaped around Tifa, ever since he was a youngin.

Remember that LS Cloud is not "really" Real Cloud. It's his subconscious. So even if they confess before, you can still make them shy (like the GS date started to forshadow lol) and use the famous line here.
I guess, but I still think it would feel off. Especially for people who don't necessarily know LS Cloud is just his subconcious and that he might be a bit more forward because of that.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Yes, that's exactly what I mean, it's strong. It's been used regarding them before with all the Jenova talk, so it would be nice if they capitalized off of that.

And anyway, by that point people should be able to pick up on the fact that Cloud and Tifa feel strongly about each other, so using a strong phrase would only reinforce that, it wouldn't be out of the blue, and would also be the actual sledgehammer to end this stupid "debate". No more "in Japan" this and "japanese culture" that.

We see said strong feelings in:

Tifa claiming that he's all she cares about and that she will care for him every hour of the last week of her life, knowing that he'll probably never recover.

Cloud having his entire personality and life goals shaped around Tifa, ever since he was a youngin.

For once, localization can be used properly.

Just use the word "Love". Simple.

Japanese will always be a little complicated for Westerners to grasp.

But as far as we're concerned, I think the difference between "Like" and "Love" will be clear to everyone.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
For once, localization can be used properly.

Just use the word "Love". Simple.

Japanese will always be a little complicated for Westerners to grasp.

But as far as we're concerned, I think the difference between "Like" and "Love" will be clear to everyone.
Yes, but I will always firmly hold the stance that what is said in the Japanese version (AKA the original script written by the writers themselves) will always trump any and all other languages because it hasn't gone through a translation/localisation filter. So if they used 'aishiteru' it would get the message across the same way 'suki' or 'daisuki' would, but it would also be the undeniable final nail in the coffin.

Top Bottom