SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

youffie

Pro Adventurer
Does anyone else think Tifa is at least part Wutainese? She looks nothing like her father and we don’t know what her mother looks like, but I’m inclined to think she takes after her.

I'm not sure they would go there but it'd be fun! Actually, I'm curious about all these people's dead parents, but this comment reminded me of how some people speculated that Vincent might have had some ties to Wutai because of a comment he made on Yuffie's weapon that never went anywhere. And then there's Tseng who gives off strong Wutainese vibes, obviously. I wonder if they're going to do something about that, since Wutai's probably getting expanded.

Final_Heaven

Pro Adventurer
Does anyone else think Tifa is at least part Wutainese? She looks nothing like her father and we don’t know what her mother looks like, but I’m inclined to think she takes after her.

Well in the original, Tifa looked a bit different. She didn't look any different ethnically than any of the other characters but then again, neither did Yuffie.

Now though, yeah, it makes sense for Tifa to be part Wutainese.

I'm not sure they would go there but it'd be fun! Actually, I'm curious about all these people's dead parents, but this comment reminded me of how some people speculated that Vincent might have had some ties to Wutai because of a comment he made on Yuffie's weapon that never went anywhere. And then there's Tseng who gives off strong Wutainese vibes, obviously. I wonder if they're going to do something about that, since Wutai's probably getting expanded.

I like the idea of Vincent, Tifa and Tseng having Wutai ancestry.

Final_Heaven

Pro Adventurer
EYdlOAyWAAMSSoc

EYdlQGOXkAAiTQx

EYdlRZZX0AAh6en

EYdlSmpXsAEZfsD

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
But is it really "Wutainese" and not "Wutainian"? How about Nibelheim? Is it "Nibelheimer" or "Nibelheimian"? Like Nibelheimian Rhapsody? Or are they just Nibels or Nibelungs?

Fort Condor has got to be Fort Condorian... like that filler character in One Piece dubbed "Condoriano" on a whim. Are those who live in Mideel called "Midelese", which sounds like Middle East? How about those in Midgar?

Are those in Kalm naturally "Kalmer"? Are there a lot of "Juniors" in Junon? And what of Gongaga? "Gongagas"? "Gungans"?

And why am I asking this? Why does this matter to me? :sadpanda:

EDIT: I think I'll just call those from Wutai "Wut", so I can make sentences like "Does Tifa look like Wut?" "Yuffie is Wut?"

Last edited:
Even supposing that people in Wutai must look Asian since their architecture looks Asian, what about Tifa's appearance is Asian aside from her black hair? Are we meant to assume that every character with straight black hair is automatically from Wutai?

I dunno, it's a fantasy world. Assigning Earth races to them seems kind of racist to me.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I always guessed "Wutaian."

Even supposing that people in Wutai must look Asian since their architecture looks Asian, what about Tifa's appearance is Asian aside from her black hair? Are we meant to assume that every character with straight black hair is automatically from Wutai?

I dunno, we're apparently supposed to assume every blond is a Shinra...
But no I don't think Tifa looks particularly Asian. She did moreso in Advent Children, and it was more about the eyes than the hair.

minami758

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Miiwoo
I guess it could be Wutaian or Wutainese or Wutai-something or other. I just typed the first thing that popped into my head.

Obviously we don't know everyone's actual origins, but it's just fun to speculate. Wutai is the only other nation we learn about at length in the story and its inspiration is very clearly East Asian. Not saying everyone with black hair has to be from Wutai, but without any other information I think it's pretty harmless to wonder. I'm Asian myself, so I think it's cool that there's Asian influences in the story.

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
Awn, I can't believe I missed all the shiposting!! :'(

_______

On the 'touch' subject btw Cloud and Tifa I'd like to add something:

I think some people may be taking it way too literal as like Cloud never touch any other girl but Tifa during the whole the game, which isn't the case? He literally 'bridal style' catches Aerith and carried Jessie not once but twice like that, too. Those are very 'touchy' moments and there are others for sure ( and Jessie still the only one that got to kiss Cloud on screen you go, girl!!!!)

But there's a mountain of difference about how Cloud and Tifa interactions when it comes to this subject compared to the other characters:
  • Their touches are more intimate;
  • There's sexual tension in there,
  • It keeps happening during the game, even when there's not a imminent danger, necessity, or a reason for it to happen;
  • Their touches linger longer than needed;
  • They're most initiate by Cloud even tho he's the most distant/emotionally constipated of them both;
  • On that matter, they both actually very closed-off people, which makes the the 'touch' part stands out;
  • Goes in line with the very own motif of their relationship "actions speaks louder than words";
Plus, this is a Japanese game, where it isn't culturally normal to be touching someone all the time like that, so we know it was put there for a reason.

So really, I don't think the point is who Cloud touches or not ( that would be stupid.. if you don't live in a bubble you gonna end up touching ppl sometimes....only in games for now, folks! we're social distancing for the moment :shifty:), but if there's an actually meaning behind these actions, and for this matter in particular, I think Cloti does that the lead.

odekopeko

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Peko
As the resident Asian here, I think Remake Tifa looks mixed. My older brothers all think she straight up looks hot Asian.

Also I read some tweets commenting on how Cloud and Tifa seemed like siblings (???) while Aerith is pushed as the love interest because she's always flirting with Cloud (???) and I'm like... wow, what kind of interactions do you have with your siblings, and also, eww, no, don't tell me! I also disagree with Aerith always flirting with him, but hey, what do I know, I find that Aerith put the brakes down comparing to her OG self, so yeah, maybe I'm not the best person to ask.

I'm mostly active on kpop stan twitter, but I do hang out on there a lot, and tbf most of the people I've talked to there, who are invested in FF7R pairings, clearly haven't played the game themselves. They've just been watching clips uploaded on twitter and on YT. Was just talking to oomfs about this yesterday after she saw my tweet, and she mentioned that that's what she did too.

And not to bring back the jealousy thing yet again, but I kept noticing some of you guys mentioning that it didn't come off as jealousy in Japanese, or that the English did them dirty, BUT I can assure you that even some Japanese people thought they saw a tinge of jealousy and they found her cute, or else I wouldn't find dudes on FF boards asking this question: ティファがエアリスに嫉妬してるような描写って原作にもあったっけ?
Are there any scenes of Tifa being jealous of Aerith in the original too?

There is an actual clip on YT where they show that exact same scene under the title: エアリスへの嫉妬から大胆になるティファ

Basically, she gets bolder after feeling jealous of Aerith [being able to easily close that physical distance with Cloud]. The guy who uploaded it is pro-CxT. He, and others on another uploader's video, found her so cute. I know it seems like a negative, and I saw some people being stupid and trying to twist that to make Tifa look bad, but it's a positive! Why? Because there was a scene earlier where she comes and sits with him at the bar, but sits far away from him, as if he has covid-19. People mentioned it took all her courage/精一杯 just to sit that close to him. And, now that I have my Ultimania, it seems she really wanted to make Cloud stay, but couldn't bring up the promise, so she hints at it, hoping deep down that he would remember the promise. She's freaking cute! And based on that knowledge, I take back my words before that Tifa didn't have feelings for Cloud from the beginning.

>>General Consensus seems to be:
原作はもっとそんな描写多かったよ
今回は最初からクラウドとティファが接近してるから言うほどじゃなくね?

The original showed a lot of that. [Made more apparent by the fact that Cloud and Tifa weren't all that close in the beginning.] However, in the remake, Cloud and Tifa are getting closer/more intimate from the start.

So I guess they realize it got toned down/removed. Also mentioned was the scene where Jessie got injured and Cloud lifted her up and carried her in his arms. Tifa was more concerned about Jessie's well-being than the fact that Cloud was concerned about another girl. She's freaking sweet!

Just saying that they're all talking and discussing about the same stuff we do here, except now that I've been around YT enough, I believe most people agree High Affection HW scene is the real one, and are disappointed that there won't be more than a kiss between them due to ratings/censorship.

Last edited:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Re: jealousy, I don't think it's used negatively here? Like, they get jealous, but it pushes them forward, and they don't really leave a bad impression? I mean Cloud's the most affected, probably, because he's still 16 in his head so he reacts like a young boy. As long as it's a feeling they can learn to live with and shut down, it's all good in my books. In a lot of relationships, especially at the beginning, I think there are tinges of jealousy/envy, because you see your SO interacting with other girls/boys you don't know so it makes you insecure. It's a feeling that passes as the relationship grows steadier, but it's not a good one if it gets worse (red flag! red flag!).

TL;DR: it's portrayed in a harmless fashion and is supposed to show the feelings they have. It's a rather usual trope in writing, so I don't really mind.

odekopeko

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Peko
@Maidenofwar Personally, none of the CxA touches, high fives, or wrist-grabs felt romantic at all. Seriously. But the moment when he tries to grab her wrist but his hand passes through in Aerith's resolution scene IS. With Cloud and Aerith, their non-physical moments seem like heightened moments of budding romance to me. Like when they tried to say good bye at Evergreen Park, but couldn't, and speak up at the same time. Their shy glances do seem very sweet.

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
Hmm … I disagree some touches between CxA aren't intimate … some of them are very soft … and the non verbal stuff is there too like when Cloud and Aerith share a look after the Domino and Wedge stuff near the end :)

'Intimate' may not have been the right word to use there, so I guess I worded that wrong! sorry! ( bear in mind English isn't my first language :P), but the meaning I wanted to convey is pretty similar to what you commented here: Aerith and Cloud had their fair share of meaningful "touching".

But in the bigger picture, Cloud and Tifa takes the lead imo( on this very specific subject I'd like to be very clear here) for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post o/

Final_Heaven

Pro Adventurer
As the resident Asian here, I think Remake Tifa looks mixed. My older brothers all think she straight up looks hot Asian.

I'm mostly active on kpop stan twitter, but I do hang out on there a lot, and tbf most of the people I've talked to there, who are invested in FF7R pairings, clearly haven't played the game themselves. They've just been watching clips uploaded on twitter and on YT. Was just talking to oomfs about this yesterday after she saw my tweet, and she mentioned that that's what she did too.

And not to bring back the jealousy thing yet again, but I kept noticing some of you guys mentioning that it didn't come off as jealousy in Japanese, or that the English did them dirty, BUT I can assure you that even some Japanese people thought they saw a tinge of jealousy and they found her cute, or else I wouldn't find dudes on FF boards asking this question: ティファがエアリスに嫉妬してるような描写って原作にもあったっけ?
Are there any scenes of Tifa being jealous of Aerith in the original too?

There is an actual clip on YT where they show that exact same scene under the title: エアリスへの嫉妬から大胆になるティファ

Basically, she gets bolder after feeling jealous of Aerith [being able to easily close that physical distance with Cloud]. The guy who uploaded it is pro-CxT. He, and others on another uploader's video, found her so cute. I know it seems like a negative, and I saw some people being stupid and trying to twist that to make Tifa look bad, but it's a positive! Why? Because there was a scene earlier where she comes and sits with him at the bar, but sits far away from him, as if he has covid-19. People mentioned it took all her courage/精一杯 just to sit that close to him. And, now that I have my Ultimania, it seems she really wanted to make Cloud stay, but couldn't bring up the promise, so she hints at it, hoping deep down that he would remember the promise. She's freaking cute! And based on that knowledge, I take back my words before that Tifa didn't have feelings for Cloud from the beginning.

>>General Consensus seems to be:
原作はもっとそんな描写多かったよ
今回は最初からクラウドとティファが接近してるから言うほどじゃなくね?

The original showed a lot of that. [Made more apparent by the fact that Cloud and Tifa weren't all that close in the beginning.] However, in the remake, Cloud and Tifa are getting closer/more intimate from the start.

So I guess they realize it got toned down/removed. Also mentioned was the scene where Jessie got injured and Cloud lifted her up and carried her in his arms. Tifa was more concerned about Jessie's well-being than the fact that Cloud was concerned about another girl. She's freaking sweet!

Just saying that they're all talking and discussing about the same stuff we do here, except now that I've been around YT enough, I believe most people agree High Affection HW scene is the real one, and are disappointed that there won't be more than a kiss between them due to ratings/censorship.

You know enough Japanese to go through Japanese social media?...nice.

But I mean making the sex obvious was always a little unlikely. They were only able to get so far with the previous Highwind scene because they made it so it would go over children's heads.

So if they throw in a kiss, fade to black and keep the same implications then they'd have already improved on the Highwind scene from the OG.

There's so many ways to do it too in order to keep those same implications.

Hmm … I disagree some touches between CxA aren't intimate … some of them are very soft … and the non verbal stuff is there too like when Cloud and Aerith share a look after the Domino and Wedge stuff near the end :)

To a much lesser degree and it doesn't dominate the romance aspect like it does with Tifa and Cloud. It's delivered differently.

With Aerith, it's a bit more.....verbal?

Final_Heaven

Pro Adventurer
Re: jealousy, I don't think it's used negatively here? Like, they get jealous, but it pushes them forward, and they don't really leave a bad impression? I mean Cloud's the most affected, probably, because he's still 16 in his head so he reacts like a young boy. As long as it's a feeling they can learn to live with and shut down, it's all good in my books. In a lot of relationships, especially at the beginning, I think there are tinges of jealousy/envy, because you see your SO interacting with other girls/boys you don't know so it makes you insecure. It's a feeling that passes as the relationship grows steadier, but it's not a good one if it gets worse (red flag! red flag!).

TL;DR: it's portrayed in a harmless fashion and is supposed to show the feelings they have. It's a rather usual trope in writing, so I don't really mind.

I mean....in my headcanon, Cloud couldn't get along with the other boys as a child because they were all into Tifa and that made him jealous and automatically dislike them.

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
I mean....in my headcanon, Cloud couldn't get along with the other boys as a child because they were all into Tifa and that made him jealous and automatically dislike them.

I hadn't thought about that before, honestly. I think it was mentioned in the OG that Cloud thought the other boys were stupid. So, that point could be true.

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
The chapter 14 resolutions are really something else. Briana White nailed that scene. I did find it interesting that Aerith "uses" the dream sequence to (whatever the language) dissuade Cloud from falling for her. It was a clever way to upend the anime confessional trope and the fact that she hesitates for just a second before telling him they shouldn't waste time was great. You can only imagine what Aerith is feeling here, what's in her heart versus what she feels obligated to do. I really dig the way they write her expressions of grace.

People were always going to complain about the ending, but if it means we get more new scenes like that going forward there's nothing to worry about.

odekopeko

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Peko
Am I allowed to post screenshots of the FF7R Ultimania from my own personal copy here? Not sure if it's allowed.

Regarding Chapter 14 resolutions, I saw some people saying that only Aerith's is canon because they showed it in the credits. I think hers being in the credits makes a lot of sense in the broader scheme of things, but I believe all three are meant to be canon, not just one. They suggest that we go back to unlock all of them. They also highlighted key dialog from Tifa and Barret in Chapter 13 that lead up to their resolution scenes in Chapter 14. So is it safe to assume these all happened in one night like you guys said, right?

The "Hidden Scenes" section of Chapter 14 shows all three, and here's the sequence:

1. Tifa's Resolution, screen cap of Cloud and Tifa embracing.
2. Aerith's Resolution, screen cap of Aerith's face telling Cloud not to fall in love with her.
3. Barret's Resolution, screen cap of him talking

I'd like to think that this is the order in which the events happened.

You know enough Japanese to go through Japanese social media?...nice.

But I mean making the sex obvious was always a little unlikely. They were only able to get so far with the previous Highwind scene because they made it so it would go over children's heads.

So if they throw in a kiss, fade to black and keep the same implications then they'd have already improved on the Highwind scene from the OG.

There's so many ways to do it too in order to keep those same implications.

I can read and speak Japanese pretty fluently, so yeah. But yeah, about the Highwind scene, if we get at least get a kiss and fade to black most people (me) will be satisfied. I don't need to see them セフィロス in HD................or do I...?

Final_Heaven

Pro Adventurer
Am I allowed to post screenshots of the FF7R Ultimania from my own personal copy here? Not sure if it's allowed.

Regarding Chapter 14 resolutions, I saw some people saying that only Aerith's is canon because they showed it in the credits. I think hers being in the credits makes a lot of sense in the broader scheme of things, but I believe all three are meant to be canon, not just one. They suggest that we go back to unlock all of them. They also highlighted key dialog from Tifa and Barret in Chapter 13 that lead up to their resolution scenes in Chapter 14. So is it safe to assume these all happened in one night like you guys said, right?

The "Hidden Scenes" section of Chapter 14 shows all three, and here's the sequence:

1. Tifa's Resolution, screen cap of Cloud and Tifa embracing.
2. Aerith's Resolution, screen cap of Aerith's face telling Cloud not to fall in love with her.
3. Barret's Resolution, screen cap of him talking

I'd like to think that this is the order in which the events happened.

I can read and speak Japanese pretty fluently, so yeah. But yeah, about the Highwind scene, if we get at least get a kiss and fade to black most people (me) will be satisfied. I don't need to see them セフィロス in HD................or do I...?

Of course we need to see Tifa ride Cloud's Buster Sword like a pogo stick or else their will always be an element of denial. Make it a God of War sex minigame if we have to. Cloud has to moan that he loves her while it's happening too or people will say it's a pity fuck (which I've actually seen from people). lol

But if we can't have that then I'll settle for this.

I wouldn't mind getting your translation of the important parts of the Ultimania like how Cloud talks to the girls since it's relevant for this page..

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer

What does Sephiroth have anything to with this? :lol:

Nah, I think most people with a kiss and a fade to black would be enough. This isn't a AV video or anything you know. :kiss:

Top Bottom