• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

lyingbanana

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
A banana
Yeah, that one. I gotta say that "That's very one-sided" and "Do I get a say in all this" sound basically identical to my ears, haha.

English isn't my first language, but wouldn't "That's really one sided" be more direct than the translation? Since one is a question and the other is a statement, and leaves less room to misinterpret. How would you spin "That's really one sided"? Lol

And everyone is right, "Its not real" is more powerful and ties directly to Cloud's core issue but "That's really one sided" is said by Cloud himself. Like even in a resolution following the players preferences Cloud still tells us about where his own feelings lie. Anyways, thats what i meant by LTD killer phrase.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Sort of, but both renderings are him remarking on the fact that she's telling him what he feels, when something like the nature of a relationship would tend to involve at least two people. I've given up on guessing the gymnastics shippers are currently working on, so I don't know if you're hearing it as evidence as for or against C/A, but "Do I get a say in [how I think I feel about you]?" and "[You telling me whatever I feel's not real] is really one-sided" come off about the same to me.

Maidenofwar

They/Them
It doesn't need to be spun, because he's telling Aerith what she is saying is really one sided.

"Don't fall in love with me, even if you think you have it's not real"

"That’s really one sided"

(Edit: Ninjad by Force)

Last edited:

lyingbanana

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
A banana
That's how I took it, just tought the japanese was more direct.

I like everyone is more level headed here, because in other places if I try to engage in conversation, it quickly devolves into a bunch of crazy or out of context misinterpretations.

Thank you guys

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I've given up on guessing the gymnastics shippers are currently working on, so I don't know if you're hearing it as evidence as for or against C/A

I remember when I first came to this forum, there was a Clerith who would just not stop. "Cloud doesn't love Tifa. He just uses her since Aerith isn't around." "Clerith is the real love because Cloud and Aerith reunited in WoF" blah blah blah

Phantasia

Pro Adventurer
Does the meaning of Clouds answer really matter when she already said "it not real"?

When I saw Aerith's resolution, I took everything she said at face value. A character that was shown throughout the game to know more that what she'd let on, when she said "it's not real", I took it as a confirmation, that she knows exactly "why" those feelings are not real.

Didn't they said in an Ultimania (from the OG) that her powers allow her to sense someones essence or something like that? I feel like I have no business caring about Clouds opinion at this point (regarding the nature of his feelings at least).

Leafonthebreeze

Any/All
AKA
Leaf
That is... a really good article actually, which sums up the whole thing really well!

...and I had a vague hunch and went on a hunt and it turns out I used to follow the author on twitter, back when I had a twitter, because she's friends with someone I know from uni!

The internet is very small actually.

Also yeah she is VERY aware of the hell she's wading into because she already lives there lol, I remember half of the crazy LTD shenanigans I used to hear about about were through her tweets.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I appreciate the calling attention to Pattinson getting his descriptions of the characters wrong. Because that drove me nuts every time people shared that clip, lol. Not that I blame him, I'm sure he played it once 25 years ago and moved on like a normal person :monster: But I'm cursed with the knowledge that he was way off base :lol: And worse, misrepresenting it to his costar!

ChOcOboO

Game-changer

Ah, once a place to experience all of the love triangle wank, TLS carries with it a small vestige of shipper toxicity. I'm no angel; I certainly contributed to it back in my day. With that I say, not a bad article! I don't think that they are pushing the "Aerith loves Cloud" possibility so hard in Remake, but I can see where she is coming from here..

Maidenofwar

They/Them
I wanted to bring up a theory I saw in another thread because it's been bothering me some, as in got the brain think going. The Remake Cloud is not the real Cloud but actually a clone we were travelling along with the whole time or something. I know it's just a theory but I don't know what would happen or how I'd feel if something like that turned out to be true. I think in the end something like this would resolve after everything more positively for Cloti, but I also do not think CA needs to be lessened in that way? as in none of it was real, not any of it. Now for me Cloud and Aerith relationship, it was never just about the romance potential, but becoming close friends, spiritual connections (yeah yeah I know but lifestreaams~) and great love and care since love isn't always about strict romance and I've always believed CA have their own kind of special feelings/relationship (that does not take away from CT) Aerith starting to develop feelings for Cloud, but he literally wasn't Cloud the whole time? He wasn't even in there?, I don't know.

Maybe it is to disconnect people from CA and invest them more in ZA? but I think this might emotionally back fire.

Unless they add a lot of ZA content in remake, and also if the theory turned out to be true CT content with the not remake!clone Cloud, I just yeah, I really don't know.

Perhaps I was just too invested in the Cloud is still biologically Cloud and he's in there somewhere, he's not literally not Cloud at all, all this time. I feel like a rug has been pulled from under me xD

Last edited:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Listen, I will just repeat myself; the devs threaded carefully all the characters and their relationships with each other, and that is why to me, it sounds very unplausible. There is just no way that Aerith wouldn't have met "Cloud", or at least the one that's fucked up in his head. He's not a clone. But people are definitely going to doubt up until the Lifestream scene where everything is revealed.

And people make those theories while the game *shows* the real Cloud beneath, as well as his real memories. So it shouldn't even be on the table; we're not going to play with a clone for 2 full games before miraculously the real one shows up. That Cloud is able to make his own connections with people, and, to be very frank, living his dream thanks to Jenova (because he believes he was closer to Tifa than what he truly was, allowing him to act in ways his shy arse would never had before) is completely part of the game. We are supposed to see Cloud grow and to worry and to cheer up for him. If we are robbed of the Cloud we knew for 2 whole games, this makes no freaking sense, it would be bad development.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I saw the drama in Twitter lol ? it was incredible to watch, as in morbid fascination if you get what I mean!

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Aw, I don't have a twitter so I have no idea what everyone is talking about :sigh:
In the material ultimania plus, there are several scripts for various cutscenes with scene directions. In the one that describes Cloud and Aerith's first meeting, it is noted that after he sees her face, he has a mental reaction (which is when Sephiroth appears).

The specific Japanese word used to describe Cloud seeing Aerith's face is "認識", which has commonly been translated as "recognize". Some extreme Cleriths decided this meant Cloud recognized Aerith because he's traveling back in time to save her from dying, and as such already knows who she is. However, that's not the sort of "recognize" being used here. The Japanese term doesn't carry the implication of past familiarity, just that he's able to understand what he's looking at. If you'll recall, she's flailing around in a panic when he first sees her, so he doesn't get a good look until she stops and looks at him, which is when he's able to "recognize" her face.

To avoid the ambiguity the English word "recognize" would bring, Turquoise instead used the word "register", which more clearly communicates the intended meaning. "Cloud registers her face and has a mental reaction". The afformentioned Cleriths started harassing him about the word change, and even after he provided several outside opinions from native Japanese speakers it wasn't enough. He was called a liar and manipulator, which I simply couldn't abide by, so I started arguing back against them. Now I'm Punished Odysseus.

Last edited:

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
In the material ultimania plus, there are several scripts for various cutscenes with scene directions. In the one that describes Cloud and Aerith's first meeting, it is noted that after he sees her face, he has a mental reaction (which is when Sephiroth appears).

The specific Japanese word used to describe Cloud seeing Aerith's face is "認識", which has commonly been translated as "recognize". Some extreme Cleriths decided this meant Cloud recognized Aerith because he's traveling back in time to save her from dying, and as such already knows who she is. However, that's not the sort of "recognize" being used here. The Japanese term doesn't carry the implication of past familiarity, just that he's able to understand what he's looking at. If you'll recall, she's flailing around in a panic when he first sees her, so he doesn't get a good look until she stops and looks at him, which is when he's able to "recognize" her face.

To avoid the ambiguity the English word "recognize" would bring, Turquoise instead used the word "register", which more clearly communicates the intended meaning. "Cloud registers her face and has a mental reaction". The afformentioned Cleriths started harassing him about the word change, and even after he provided several outside opinions from native Japanese speakers it wasn't enough. He was called a liar and manipulator, which I simply couldn't abide by, so I started arguing back against them. Now I'm Punished Odysseus.

Thank you for the reply! I thought it'd be something more serious, lol! I hope you and Turquoise are going to be okay.

Reactions: LNK

Final_Heaven

Pro Adventurer

Juicy. You got a link to that twitter drama by any chance?

Top Bottom