SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
[ I'm focused on the unlockable romantic scenes in Rebirth, according to the leaks. Aerith stumbles into Cloud's arms on the gold saucer date. she says she's trying so hard to find Cloud. she rest her head on his shoulder and they hold hands. On the date with Tifa, she tries to express her feelings for Cloud, who in response pulls her in for a hug and kisses her. That's a night and day difference in my opinion. Which is not like OG FF7 at all. ]
Yeah, the whole thing with *extreme Cleriths is to say that Cloud is completely romantically illiterate and 'he just doesn't express it with Aerith because he's soooo clueless' but that's just not the case and they've gone out of their way to show us that.
[ The scene up on YouTube after the clock tower where they meet up in the tunnel and Barret asks where they've been and Aerith says 'a date' and latches on to Clouds arm - you can see he's aware of Tifas feelings because he looks straight at her and pushes his arm out to distance Aerith and looks very uncomfortable. Like he's not the most savvy at navigating things and is definitely awkward- but Cleriths act like he's mentally a child with zero clue. It's cemented on the GS date when Tifa vaguely alludes to her feelings and he jumps straight to reassure her and makes a move. I keep seeing *extreme Cleriths saying 'oh he's not even acting like him in this scene' because they avoid seeing that he's actually his own person with agency who has romantic feelings and can act on them. ]

Editing to add that I'm specifically referencing really extreme people. You get them on both sides, I'm aware.

Last edited:

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
[ I'm focused on the unlockable romantic scenes in Rebirth, according to the leaks. Aerith stumbles into Cloud's arms on the gold saucer date. she says she's trying so hard to find Cloud. she rest her head on his shoulder and they hold hands. On the date with Tifa, she tries to express her feelings for Cloud, who in response pulls her in for a hug and kisses her. That's a night and day difference in my opinion. Which is not like OG FF7 at all. ]

Yeah, I found it shocking to be honest. After I heard Tifa got a kiss I was positive Aerith had one on the way. We kept hearing about them being treated "equally" and this is Aerith's farewell tour after all. I didn't think SE had the chutzpah to draw the line like that.

Now, Tifa and Cloud already had sparks flying every which way in Remake. They kept ending up in each other's arms, touching, reaching, yelling each other's names, and the body language in Cloud's room... my goodness the body language. So it doesn't surprise me they're heading to first base at this point.

And yeah, OG date was just Cloud being dense with different partners. Glad to see him take the initiative in Rebirth like a manly man.

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, I found it shocking to be honest. After I heard Tifa got a kiss I was positive Aerith had one on the way. We kept hearing about them being treated "equally" and this is Aerith's farewell tour after all. I didn't think SE had the chutzpah to draw the line like that.

Now, Tifa and Cloud already had sparks flying every which way in Remake. They kept ending up in each other's arms, touching, reaching, yelling each other's names, and the body language in Cloud's room... my goodness the body language. So it doesn't surprise me they're heading to first base at this point.

And yeah, OG date was just Cloud being dense with different partners. Glad to see him take the initiative in Rebirth like a manly man.
Chad Strife 😂🙈

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
😅😅😅

I didn't see any full video or context yet so
I thought maybe Tifa tries to kiss Cloud, things start happening, but then they get Interrupted
There was a SS compilation of the lead up to the interruption and
you see them both leaning in. I'm assuming this is where the GS dialogue comes in where Tifa is like 'am I getting ahead of myself again' I assumed it was reference to their near kiss earlier on

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
PS the whole vaguing with "Clotis" and "Cleriths" we don't really do that here. Let's not make generalisations.
I am specifically referencing the people that get into it to an insane degree. The normal ones I just call shippers. But people who do weird mental gymnastics are the ones I was talking about?

Legend45

Pro Adventurer
There was a SS compilation of the lead up to the interruption and
you see them both leaning in. I'm assuming this is where the GS dialogue comes in where Tifa is like 'am I getting ahead of myself again' I assumed it was reference to their near kiss earlier on
Is that scene optional as well or is it non optional?

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I’m reminded of a clip from this streamer I posted a few months ago:

People will inevitably tell themselves whatever they need to, whether it’s “but they went on however many dates”, “but they held hands”, “but such and such was optional”, “but the theme song”, “but the trailer” etc.

For starters, and this is more of a semantic thing that may not necessarily translate as clearly to other languages or cultures, but “going on dates” and “being in a romantic relationship” are not the same thing. By that metric, Cloud and Barrett would be in a relationship if they go on the GS date together. People “go on dates” all the time without necessarily committing to a relationship, meaning Cloud can go on dates with either girl or even both without having officially committed to either just yet.

Regardless of who Cloud goes on a date with, we have yet to see a definitive moment where he officially enters the social contract of a relationship with Aerith or Tifa and commits to a relationship. Hence why I get so annoyed with SE being so cagey about Cloud & Tifa’s official relationship status because they might as well be boyfriend and girlfriend, though SE refuses to clarify this.

There’s this defensiveness that shippers have when they feel people are questioning their ships’ validity, and part of it I feel comes from this wish fulfillment that things go the way that they want.

To what end though? In Aerith’s case, at her core she’s a tragic character. Her and Cloud got all the glitz and glamour of a budding romance, but it all serves to set up the tragedy. So when somebody uses shipteasing to try to validate Cloud and Aerith as a couple, it feels to me like they’re indirectly validating exactly why they don’t end up as a couple.

The devs will never discourage fans from shipping Cloud and Aerith, nor should they. If anything, they really seem to be playing up the bittersweet angle with those two. But I think people really ought to understand that Aerith and Tifa’s roles in the story relationship-wise are not the same, they’re not interchangeable, and they’re certainly not optional.

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
I need to see it in full video but if that's the case and Cloud does not back away, this affirms he feels most at ease with her
How do I hide an image? I have SS at least if you've not seen them. The video of that one hasn't been leaked yet. I have
the handholding between C/T and their GS date videos but I've not seen a video go around of that, just the SS

Legend45

Pro Adventurer
How do I hide an image? I have SS at least if you've not seen them. The video of that one hasn't been leaked yet. I have
the handholding between C/T and their GS date videos but I've not seen a video go around of that, just the SS
Insert Image but keep the spoiler bar around it? I think.

Zach1545

Rookie Adventurer

People will inevitably tell themselves whatever they need to, whether it’s “but they went on however many dates”, “but they held hands”, “but such and such was optional”, “but the theme song”, “but the trailer” etc.

For starters, and this is more of a semantic thing that may not necessarily translate as clearly to other languages or cultures, but “going on dates” and “being in a romantic relationship” are not the same thing. By that metric, Cloud and Barrett would be in a relationship if they go on the GS date together. People “go on dates” all the time without necessarily committing to a relationship, meaning Cloud can go on dates with either girl or even both without having officially committed to either just yet.

Regardless of who Cloud goes on a date with, we have yet to see a definitive moment where he officially enters the social contract of a relationship with Aerith or Tifa and commits to a relationship. Hence why I get so annoyed with SE being so cagey about Cloud & Tifa’s official relationship status because they might as well be boyfriend and girlfriend, though SE refuses to clarify this.

There’s this defensiveness that shippers have when they feel people are questioning their ships’ validity, and part of it I feel comes from this wish fulfillment that things go the way that they want.

To what end though? In Aerith’s case, at her core she’s a tragic character. Her and Cloud got all the glitz and glamour of a budding romance, but it all serves to set up the tragedy. So when somebody uses shipteasing to try to validate Cloud and Aerith as a couple, it feels to me like they’re indirectly validating exactly why they don’t end up as a couple.

The devs will never discourage fans from shipping Cloud and Aerith, nor should they. If anything, they really seem to be playing up the bittersweet angle with those two. But I think people really ought to understand that Aerith and Tifa’s roles in the story relationship-wise are not the same, they’re not interchangeable, and they’re certainly not optional.
Yeah I know her. She's a Clerith which is totally fine but she's just so extreme about it. I had to unsubescribe because I couldn't help but feel like she harbaured a hidden hatred toward Tifa.

Yeah, I know her. She's a Clerith, which is totally fine, but she's just so extreme about it. I had to unsubscribe because I couldn't help but feel like she harbored a hidden hatred toward Tifa.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Yeah I know her. She's a Clerith which is totally fine but she's just so extreme about it. I had to unsubescribe because I couldn't help but feel like she harbaured a hidden hatred toward Tifa.

Yeah, I know her. She's a Clerith, which is totally fine, but she's just so extreme about it. I had to unsubscribe because I couldn't help but feel like she harbored a hidden hatred toward Tifa.
My understanding is that she actually likes Tifa but can’t stand Cloud and Tifa shippers, though she doesn’t seem to have the same energy for her fellow Cloud and Aerith shippers despite them being no better

Rfcloud88

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Ichie
I do not understand how people can deny the obvious. ‘Advent Children’, the absolute canonical movie that takes place two years after the end of the OG, shows that Cloud and Tifa are in a relationship. They live together, they take care of Marlene when Barrett is out scouting for new oil fields, and they have unofficially adopted an orphan son, Denzel. Shoot, Barrett even refers to Tifa as Denzel’s mom when the team winds up in Edge as they prepare to fight the summoned Bahamut. The movie doesn’t leave it up for speculation - Tifa and Cloud are together in a romantic relationship.

So why do people, what y’all refer to as “Shippers”, get so up in arms about Cloud and Tifa being together? Like I’ve stated before in this thread Cloud’s feelings for Aerith are only partially real. Most of his feelings for her and towards her come from his subconscious memories of Zack, who told Cloud a lot about her. While he doesn’t remember Zack and their conversations about Aerith until Tifa is able to help Cloud piece together his fractured psyche in the Lifestream he still has those memories and conversations at the forefront of his subconscious mind. Aerith is similar as well - many of her feelings for Cloud come from the fact that he is so much like Zack. Because he’s basically Zack inside his Cloud shell she is naturally drawn to him.

Had Aerith survived the OG do you think that they would have went on to become man and wife? I don’t, not at all. I don’t think that they would have had a relationship after the end of the OG that would have lasted more than a few months, perhaps even a year or two.

The OG makes it pretty apparent that Cloud has had serious romantic feelings, bordering on infatuation, for Tifa since they were children. Much of his behavior as a child was due to his desire for her to notice him, and the OG definitely hints that she did and had some pre-teen and teenage romantic infatuation with him as well, although she didn’t show it.

Destiny and fate are a big part of the FFVII universe, and I think that Cloud and Tifa were fated to love one another, and that Aerith’s survival wouldn’t change that. I’d be perfectly fine with one of the Aeriths to survive, but I don’t think that she and Cloud would be together for long, if even at all, in a world in which she lives and Zack is dead, and there’s virtually no chance that Aerith would chose to be with Cloud in a world in which Zack survives.

Whether you like it or not Cloud and Aerith are not meant to be together. They are, at best, star-crossed lovers akin to Romeo and Juliet, but Romeo survives while Juliet dies.
Thank you!! This makes total sense! 👏 Why can’t people get this through their thick skull that Aerith can’t stop thinking about Zack🤦🏻 she’s coping bc he’s not around

frosty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Snowman
I've seen the video of Cloud and Tifa in Gongaga, its non optional but what I saw was in German but essentially

Cloud is talking and doing the hand fist thing that he does when he first remembers the water tower, Tifa is seated on the bed, she walks over and holds his hand.

I assume the line she says is that its her turn to save him.

They start staring at each other and are inching closer, until Tifa hears Yuffie disembodied voice through the door saying something, again, the Eng translation is "just kiss already"

They move away, Tifa opens the door and Yuffie and Cait Sith fall through

Basically, they probably reused the assets from this Cliji scene

Last edited:

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
One thing I’ve found, and this is just my reception to this, but on both of the very extreme ends of either ships you tend to find that there is simply no understanding of the characters at all.

I’ve seen some bizarre arguments regarding Cloud and Tifa that completely misrepresents their story and relationship (this sadly isn’t exclusive to just shipping them but their overall childhood and story, and all the Lifestream stuff)

Same with Aerith.

I’d go so far as to argue Aerith is one of the most misrepresented characters by a huge number of those on the extreme end of her ship who consider themselves fans of hers and her relationship with Cloud.

I’d never go so far as to presume what each and or any of the characters think in any given moment with another as at the end of the day only the writers and developers know the intent and thought behind each character’s action. All fans can do is interpret, and that’s fine when it’s for fun and it’s in a lighthearted and amicable discussion.

But when you see it being more a case of someone lecturing others on this being what this means, when it’s just their interpretation of it, seems both foolish and harmful to meaningful discussions regarding these characters and this story.
I get really annoyed when Aerith is described as being 'shy and quiet' and Tifa is described as 'sexy' and 'edgy' haha it's so wild to me how it's such a common interpretation of the characters. Are we just making assumptions based on their clothing? Cause that's what that feels like.

But I agree that so many people misrepresent both dynamics to a ridiculous degree. Same with the relationship between Tifa and Aerith themselves.

Kigan

Rookie Adventurer
Tifa doesn't even know Cloud. He was an outcast, she didn't particularly mind. According to FFVII, their history begins with a promise when they're teenagers and she already lost part of her memories (he fell off a bridge for her when she barely knew he existed), and then seven years later she gets to know the Real Cloud after the lifestream sequence.

Aerith on the other hand has the advantage of being more inquisitive, outspoken and knowing Zack, so she quickly figures out the similarities, and gets kinda attracted to him for that reason, but then learns he's nothing like him but still falls for him for who he is, not what he's trying to be.

You can see the real Cloud emerge from the shadows and bond with Aerith more than he ever did with Tifa for that reason, both in the original and the remake. Aerith gets him to do and say things Tifa couldn't.

By the end of Sector 7, people tolerate Cloud as a competent professional (because Tifa buys into his mercenary facade and doesn't try to appeal to his deside to be accepted, she just gives him jobs). Sector 5 welcomes him, adults and children all like him because Aerith sees right through his prickly facade, that he's not a bad person, and tries to teach him true kindness by appealing to his poorly concealed compassion.

If that means Cloud loves her, that's up to anybody's guess. He did fall for Tifa for absolutely no reason other than her being cute, though. What else? They hardly knew each other.

It boggles my mind how people can say "Aerith never met the real Cloud" when the opposite is true: Aerith did kinda meet him (which is a big reason why Cloud is devastated by her death other then failing to protect people etc.) before Tifa.

Aerith was the first person able to bring out the caring side of the Real Cloud, despite his mental issues. Aerith was able to bring Cloud to the surface and have him shine through during a time when he was a mixed clump of Jenova's cells and Zack’s memories.

The entire thing turning into "Aerith never loved Cloud, she's only using him to cope about Zack" is nonsense.

You don't need anything other than the two songs to know it's nonsense.

We never got Cloud's side of the story, but a man doesn't mourn a woman the way Cloud does mourn Aerith if he doesn't love her to a degree, and certainly not just as a comrade, even for "anime" friendship that's preposterous.

However, what really shocks me after all these years is not how underrated Aerith's relationship with Cloud is, but how overrated Tifa's relationship with Cloud is. I don't know it's because Cloud likes her, or because the fans like her. Either way, halo effect.

--------

You can see it in the GS rebirth date too, the wrong idea people in this thread immediately got: Aerith can't tell him the truth about Zack (and neither can Tifa), he takes it the wrong way and he gets visibly hurt and jealous. He has no problem making a move on Tifa but he gets shy just by holding Aerith's hand.

The writing in this game is all over the place.

loozzer

Pro Adventurer
Tifa doesn't even know Cloud. He was an outcast, she didn't particularly mind. According to FFVII, their history begins with a promise when they're teenagers and she already lost part of her memories (he fell off a bridge for her when she barely knew he existed), and then seven years later she gets to know the Real Cloud after the lifestream sequence.

Aerith on the other hand has the advantage of being more inquisitive, outspoken and knowing Zack, so she quickly figures out the similarities, and gets kinda attracted to him for that reason, but then learns he's nothing like him but still falls for him for who he is, not what he's trying to be.

You can see the real Cloud emerge from the shadows and bond with Aerith more than he ever did with Tifa for that reason, both in the original and the remake. Aerith gets him to do and say things Tifa couldn't.

By the end of Sector 7, people tolerate Cloud as a competent professional (because Tifa buys into his mercenary facade and doesn't try to appeal to his deside to be accepted, she just gives him jobs). Sector 5 welcomes him, adults and children all like him because Aerith sees right through his prickly facade, that he's not a bad person, and tries to teach him true kindness by appealing to his poorly concealed compassion.

If that means Cloud loves her, that's up to anybody's guess. He did fall for Tifa for absolutely no reason other than her being cute, though. What else? They hardly knew each other.

It boggles my mind how people can say "Aerith never met the real Cloud" when the opposite is true: Aerith did kinda meet him (which is a big reason why Cloud is devastated by her death other then failing to protect people etc.) before Tifa.

Aerith was the first person able to bring out the caring side of the Real Cloud, despite his mental issues. Aerith was able to bring Cloud to the surface and have him shine through during a time when he was a mixed clump of Jenova's cells and Zack’s memories.

The entire thing turning into "Aerith never loved Cloud, she's only using him to cope about Zack" is nonsense.

We never got Cloud's side of the story, but a man doesn't mourn a woman the way Cloud does mourn Aerith if he doesn't love her to a degree, and certainly not just as a comrade, even for "anime" friendship that's preposterous.

However, what really shocks me after all these years is not how underrated Aerith's relationship with Cloud is, but how overrated Tifa's relationship with Cloud is. I don't know it's because Cloud likes her, or because the fans like her. Either way, halo effect.

--------

You can see it in the GS rebirth date too, the wrong idea people in this thread immediately got: Aerith can't tell him the truth about Zack (and neither can Tifa), he takes it the wrong way and he gets visibly hurt and jealous. He has no problem making a move on Tifa but he gets shy just by holding Aerith's hand.

im not replying to all that but you clearly have not seen cloud and tifa's full date if you think he's just making moves on her. they are so awkward and shy both before and after the
kiss.

loozzer

Pro Adventurer
Also maybe someone else can check because I don't really feel like going back and finding all the videos for the dates but from what I can remember only tifa's date had her theme song playing at the end of it. could be completely wrong about that though.

Lockhart_201

Lv. 1 Adventurer
I am in agreement. Furthermore, Britt Baron, who voiced Tifa, stated during an interview with Square that a certain scene with Cloud was her favorite scene to record for Rebirth. According to her, Tifa tries to express her feelings for Cloud.
[Cloud assures her that she's not getting ahead of herself by hugging and kissing her during the scene.] Cloud and Tifa being practically "strangers" doesn't mean he couldn't have fallen in love with her in the same amount of time he knew Aerith.

faefolk

Pro Adventurer

--------

You are really misrepresenting their relationship in a big way. They both acknowledge in game that they weren't that close - but both knew of one another and had a pretty good idea of one another without being close.. simply due to proximity. Which is why Tifa understands that he's acting ooc.

She also repeatedly tells him to be nice to people in sector seven. Idk why you're acting like she was trying to give people a negative view of him. She was trying to help him build a reputation for the work he wanted to do. She also repeatedly says nice things about him acting in kind ways. Not sure what game you watched tbh.

No one is denying that Aerith brings out a different side of Cloud. So does Tifa, so does Barrett, so does Jessie etc. It's the friendships he forms in-game that help him open up and start dropping the facade which is awesome.

Also Aerith is most definitely not the person who first sees Clouds caring side... you see a caring side of Cloud before he even interacts with Aerith. Not just with Tifa either but with many members of Avalanche. Cloud is a caring character. That's why things affect him so much.

Re Aerith loving Cloud.. I think she liked him romantically but fr you cannot fall in love with someone over the time span they know each other. That's the part that gets me. They know each other for like a month before she dies. That's not enough time to have a deep and everlasting love - especially when it never eventuated.

Cloud is mourning both Aerith and Zack and the compilation makes that really clear. And yes, I'm 100% certain that anyone would deeply mourn a friend who died in front of them.. especially when they see it as a failure on their part to save them.

I won't even bother replying to your trashing of Tifa. Or your assumption that Cloud is using her because he's hurt over Aerith loving Zack. That's honestly just gross and would make Cloud horrible. The
almost kiss that you can't skip earlier in the game ruins that theory anyways

Top Bottom