SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
I will say that CA is the only pairing I can think of where I "jumped" ship. I almost always go with the canon pairing---except ATLA. I will always ship Zuko and Katara (I still like Aang and Katara though).
Oh and Boys Over Flowers. Why didn't she pick Ji Hoo? :rage:
I'm probably in the very small minority who thinks very little of ATLA, but I also liked Zutara more than the main pair. Apart from not liking Aang all that much, their dynamic struck me as a little odd.

I heard of Boys over Flowers before but I never heard the entire story. Funny enough, I recall most of my classmates shipping the main pair.

Rose Alive

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Always hungry
I heard of Boys over Flowers before but I never heard the entire story. Funny enough, I recall most of my classmates shipping the main pair.
It was my first kdrama. A lot of exaggerated acting. I actually got mad at it and didn't finish the last few episodes and just read online about what happened in them.

Maidenofwar

They/Them
Not so much here but certain elements will only make fun of CA if it's established that it was as made up or imagined as something like Squall/Selphie, they will crow, try to make those who loved and appreciated them all these years feel small and make fandom unbearable to be, well it's more why I'm here than elsewhere, they will say enjoy your fanon and have canon superiority complex. Well I guess for extremists it will always be this way.

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
I just had a bit of a brainwave, but I think I get where the comparisons are coming from. They're still so off base, don't get me wrong, but it might be idea of it?

Anyway, what I mean is that basically, Tidus is Yuna's guardian (one of, really) just as Cloud is Aerith's bodyguard. Meanwhile, Aerith is the last Cetra in the planet whereas Yuna is one of the summoners (sure, not the last one, but she is the last one among those who did beat Sin and thus, saves the world like Aerith does by praying to the Lifestream during Meteorfall).

...and that's all I got.
Yeah, no I immediately got that. Like at the temple of the ancients I literally said out loud 'oh she's doing a Yuna dance' but yeah that comparison is super weak because their personalities are as far apart as you can get. I would go so far to say Yuna/Aerith and Tidus/Cloud have complete opposite personalities.

So sure, compare Aeriths weird cetra magic to Yuna being a summoner... But stop there. Any further comparison is just so incredibly dumb. Comparing the relationships in those games is ridiculous.

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, no I immediately got that. Like at the temple of the ancients I literally said out loud 'oh she's doing a Yuna dance' but yeah that comparison is super weak because their personalities are as far apart as you can get. I would go so far to say Yuna/Aerith and Tidus/Cloud have complete opposite personalities.

So sure, compare Aeriths weird cetra magic to Yuna being a summoner... But stop there. Any further comparison is just so incredibly dumb. Comparing the relationships in those games is ridiculous.
Oh, yeah, I agree. Any further comparison between the two mix about as well as water and oil. It's just been bugging me why people insist on making the comparison then I realized that xP

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Oh, yeah, I agree. Any further comparison between the two mix about as well as water and oil. It's just been bugging me why people insist on making the comparison then I realized that xP
Comparisons between FF games and also developmental behind the scenes don’t actually count unless it’s the writer’s intention.

Otherwise, I could point to Clive and Jill sharing the same mocap actors as Cloud and Tifa as confirmation the ship.

AncientGrimoire

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Grim
Not so much here but certain elements will only make fun of CA if it's established that it was as made up or imagined as something like Squall/Selphie, they will crow, try to make those who loved and appreciated them all these years feel small and make fandom unbearable to be, well it's more why I'm here than elsewhere, they will say enjoy your fanon and have canon superiority complex. Well I guess for extremists it will always be this way.

Cloud and Aerith = Squall and Selphie?!

Honestly add this to the list of takes worth outright ignoring.

Not to mention if someone is just sharing their joy in a pairing of characters that they love (in this case I’m referring to CA) then no one should come and invalidate that joy for you. Much the same for me not wanting someone to invalidate my joy.

You’re right in that those on either end of the horseshoe are extreme in their beliefs and, actually have a lot more in common than they’d care to admit.

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
And this is exactly why I wouldn't leave.

If I keep shipping the same as I have since age 16 with the same joy and wonder then I'm basically showing these elements, you're not better than me. You don't affect me. You don't ruin things for me.

And have your canon, but you can't take my joy.

And if people stop making content or fanart for a ship I like. I will make my own and appreciate that.

The more they make fun of it the harder I ship it.

I understand how terrible extremists are but they have never met their match in stubbornness and that is me.

Also because I want that message clear. Canon is not the better one. It's not a trophy. It's not superior. It's just the story. And fanon can be just as good as the story. Not like anything's wrong with the story either. It's the authors taste. We have preferences. We have tastes.
Y para los gustos se hicieron los colores. And for our tastes, colors were invented.

That's just my perspective. You know there will never be a press conference the story just shows what it does and we enjoy it.
But please, never feel like you are small for enjoying things. Never feel like you are small for having taste.

Honestly there are so many amazing dynamics to enjoy in media. There is no right one.

And if ppl think there is.

They're wrong.

Last edited:

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Comparisons between FF games and also developmental behind the scenes don’t actually count unless it’s the writer’s intention.

Otherwise, I could point to Clive and Jill sharing the same mocap actors as Cloud and Tifa as confirmation the ship.
Or I can point to Tifa saying Cloud can have her light in Kingdom Hearts as confirmation. But that’s an AU.

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
There's no point to ship CA if it isn't real.
I don't know... I feel like shipping is specifically for couples who aren't canon/real. Like, if a couple is a confirmed couple - you're not really shipping at that point, you're just accepting the story.

Say Naruto for example.. I ship SasuNaru. Love it. It's my favourite ship ever. But l love Temari/Shikamaru... I would never ever say I ship them though - because I just enjoy them as a canon couple. You can't ship a canon couple.. 'Shipping is the act of creating a romantic pairing between two people or characters who are not otherwise romantically linked.' That's the definition of shipping.

It's also why I never identified as a Cloti shipper until like two years ago - because I just assumed they were a canon pairing. In fact after Rebirth in my brain I am not a shipper again because they're pretty fkn solidified by the Devs with the almost kiss and full on make out lol. But I guess in this game people need it spelled out that they're 110% committing to one another as boyfriend and girlfriend before people accept it as a canon pairing.

But yeah my point is Clerith has always been a ship and never once been canon because there has never been a single moment that tells us they like one another romantically. That happens pretty clearly with Cloti in the LS sequence in part three.

But I still see Clerith as "a romantic looking platonic deep undefined spiritual friendship that could have been more in another life". So that's just me.
Oh man this sums up exactly how I feel about them tbh.

Remember the blue babies?
I wish I didn't 🥴

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I remember when slut-shaming Tifa was a major tenet of a lot of C/A arguments I encountered
Sadly I must confirm that those still exist in Twitter, and they're quite a big number at that. A moot has a long shaming list there of people who pretend to care only to bash Tifa. There is also no mistake that Nojima had Tifa call Johnny a friend, telling his girlfriend she misunderstood etc. was also a signal for a certain kind of fans who still insisted he might be her boyfriend in AC/C.

Or I can point to Tifa saying Cloud can have her light in Kingdom Hearts as confirmation. But that’s an AU.
It's an AU but.... I would say this theme is heavily present in the Gongaga scene where she tries to calm Cloud down while Sephiroth manipulates him. Also, white feathers are her symbol that directly go against Sephiroth's black feathers sooooo....

starcape91

Pro Adventurer
AKA
starcape91
I don't know... I feel like shipping is specifically for couples who aren't canon/real. Like, if a couple is a confirmed couple - you're not really shipping at that point, you're just accepting the story.

Say Naruto for example.. I ship SasuNaru. Love it. It's my favourite ship ever. But l love Temari/Shikamaru... I would never ever say I ship them though - because I just enjoy them as a canon couple. You can't ship a canon couple.. 'Shipping is the act of creating a romantic pairing between two people or characters who are not otherwise romantically linked.' That's the definition of shipping.

It's also why I never identified as a Cloti shipper until like two years ago - because I just assumed they were a canon pairing. In fact after Rebirth in my brain I am not a shipper again because they're pretty fkn solidified by the Devs with the almost kiss and full on make out lol. But I guess in this game people need it spelled out that they're 110% committing to one another as boyfriend and girlfriend before people accept it as a canon pairing.

But yeah my point is Clerith has always been a ship and never once been canon because there has never been a single moment that tells us they like one another romantically. That happens pretty clearly with Cloti in the LS sequence in part three.

Oh man this sums up exactly how I feel about them tbh.

I wish I didn't 🥴
I was gonna say, that’s definitely the definition of shipping that I was familiar with. I guess it’s changed over the years. But yeah, I guess I don’t have a lot of ships then. I tend to like the canon couples. I think it also relates to the “will they won’t they” relationship too. Like Zelda and Link. So I guess I ship them.

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
I was gonna say, that’s definitely the definition of shipping that I was familiar with. I guess it’s changed over the years. But yeah, I guess I don’t have a lot of ships then. I tend to like the canon couples. I think it also relates to the “will they won’t they” relationship too. Like Zelda and Link. So I guess I ship them.
The definition is still definitely the same. It is used more casually now for relationships in general. But if you're trying to engage in a serious shipping discussion you need to be aware of the actual definition..

Because like... sighhhh I accept that NaruHina and SasuSaku are the canon pairings in Naruto. I absolutely hate that they are the canon pairings - but I accept it. I'm aware that my ship is a ship. I will argue til I'm blue in the face that SasuNaru is a valid ship... But I'm very aware that it's a ship.

FFVII is actually one of the few stories where I ship the canon pairing haha. I'm more often a non-canon gal (zutara for me too.. also love dramione not because they make any sense in canon but because it's a fun what if scenario)

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
Coming from 2002's LiveJournal and fanfiction.net.

We used it like this in my circles: Shipping just means you support a pairing. Canon or otherwise.
Like you can accept a pair is canon but if you don't like them you don't ship them.

Accepting the story if something is endgame is a thing but if you're like really into the canon couple and making fanfics etc that's still definitely shipping.

There is just distinctions like your ship can be canon, endgame canon, be rarepair, non canon, semi canon, or crackship (which no one in 2024 uses right and it drives me nuts it means they never met, or like a crossover etc)
You can also ship platonic pairs, or BroTps. Etc.

But I always see ships are a thing regardless of canon. The fanon part is participating in fanon, fanart, fanfic etc. Which I think still counts even w canon pairs. And as a "multishipper" that's the way I use it.

SNS is just a noncanon ship. And I tend to think if people just accept the story and don't participate in any fanon stuff like fanfics they're probably not shippers.

I do think over time this has changed. But in 2002 that's how my communities used it.

And yeah non canon is great. I was a NejiTen shipper in the NejiTen community so lol

But I also just ship endgame SS (not so much the canon. I like it in fanon stuff) while at the same time multishipping NS and SNS bc I like different flavors.

Last edited:

liuliuliu

Pro Adventurer
Coming from 2002's LiveJournal and fanfiction.net.

Shipping just means you support a pairing. Canon or otherwise.
Like you can accept a pair is canon but if you don't like them you don't ship them.

Accepting the story if something is endgame is a thing but if you're like really into the canon couple and making fanfics etc that's still definitely shipping.
Talking about ff.net….i came across several fan fictions that claim to be Cloti, but have Tifa holds one side, unrequited love. And Cloud is just there, waiting to die to find Aerith. That is the worst honestly. I mean people can ship whatever they want to ship but don’t step on other people’s ship.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Something about the real Cetras being blue so when CA have babies they'll be blue, idk 😭
Oh… wait what? Cetra look like normal humans, Remake confirms this.

Even if they were, Aerith looks like a normal human so… her baby with Cloud would look human too. Especially since the Ancient blood would be even more diluted at that point. Quarter-Ancient because Aerith is already only half-Ancient.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Talking about ff.net….i came across several fan fictions that claim to be Cloti, but have Tifa holds one side, unrequited love. And Cloud is just there, waiting to die to find Aerith. That is the worst honestly. I mean people can ship whatever they want to ship but don’t step on other people’s ship.
Back then, when I read still fanfics (and more so CT fics), I stumbled on a fic like that (it was worse since Cloud and Aerith had sex after their GS date, although it wasn't described it was clear enough lol). That made me mad, but also... aware of the LTD. I had NO idea. Like, I finished the game, the LS scene was for me the scene where Cloud confessed his feelings, and there was an answer right there, CT was canon. Until internet, I guess. :mon:

Top Bottom