SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Rose Alive

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Always hungry
If we’re talking about songs that demonstrates how Cloud feels, why does nobody talk about Midgar Blues? I know that song isn’t as popular (read:marketed) as Hollow or NPTK, but it’s definitely about Cloud’s feeling and love for Tifa when he left Midgar. If Cleriths want to talk about how songs are written to be love confessions from each character’s POV, they have to acknowledge the legitimacy of this song too, I mean, it’s clear as day.
"For Midgar, Midgar, I left my one true love behind."

Pretty straightforward if you ask me.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
If we’re talking about songs that demonstrates how Cloud feels, why does nobody talk about Midgar Blues? I know that song isn’t as popular (read:marketed) as Hollow or NPTK, but it’s definitely about Cloud’s feeling and love for Tifa when he left Midgar. If Cleriths want to talk about how songs are written to be love confessions from each character’s POV, they have to acknowledge the legitimacy of this song too, I mean, it’s clear as day.
Not only that but in this opus Akira moves back to Kalm and is still technically a meta comment on Cloud lol.

"For Midgar, Midgar, I left my one true love behind."

Pretty straightforward if you ask me.
The JP version doesn't mention "one true love" but at the same time, I do find it more romantic. It talks to me more lol, it's more poetic.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
TBH I think a lot of people just ignore how Cloud feels bc they're stuck in 1997s version of events where his feelings were (incorrectly) perceived to be player choice.

Also, did anyone choose to stop Aerith at Cosmo Canyon? I saw some tweets about it yesterday and apparently what he does was super awkward and cringe? I chose to encourage her because that just seemed like the most in-character thing for Cloud to do but I couldn't find any videos on what happens if you choose to stop her. Apparently it was so bad that people had to put their game down and walk away for a bit out of embarrassment?! I'm SO curious lmaooo

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
Ok, so the option that gives you the best affection points from Aerith on the water tower in Nibelheim is the one where Cloud straight up admits that being a love struck boy for Tifa who sits on the water tower hoping she'll wave at him, totally sounds like him.....are people still pretending Aerith doesn't ship Cloud with Tifa?

BooSmokeySandy

Lv. 1 Adventurer
TBH I think a lot of people just ignore how Cloud feels bc they're stuck in 1997s version of events where his feelings were (incorrectly) perceived to be player choice.

Also, did anyone choose to stop Aerith at Cosmo Canyon? I saw some tweets about it yesterday and apparently what he does was super awkward and cringe? I chose to encourage her because that just seemed like the most in-character thing for Cloud to do but I couldn't find any videos on what happens if you choose to stop her. Apparently it was so bad that people had to put their game down and walk away for a bit out of embarrassment?! I'm SO curious lmaooo
I did. He just screamed “That’s enough!” and she was like 🤨 and then kept going with her monologue.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
I did that, yeah, it was pretty embarrassing. He just randomly goes "NO, don't do it!" or something to that effect. And everyone including Aerith responds in a general "wtf" manner. And Aerith has to quickly go "no, don't worry, I'll do it, I'll do it" to the people. And after the awkward interruption they get the ceremony back on track.

AncientGrimoire

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Grim
Aerith’s VA recently did an interview where she said that because it’s an RPG you the audience get to choose through Cloud who you want to spend time with. She expressed her personal love for both Cloud and Tifa’s relationship, and Cloud and Aerith’s and really sweetly and diplomatically said that you should play the game you want to play in regards to the relationships and dates because they are all beautiful and meaningful.

I’ll be interested if they keep up this minor element of Cloud choosing things that effect certain scenes, as by part 3 in the original there’s only really one more scene whose outcome is determined by the affinity mechanics (specifically Tifa’s under the Highwind scene)

Also despite having a certain amount of control when it comes to playing as Cloud, there’s no pick your own story when it comes to the Lifestream sequence

BooSmokeySandy

Lv. 1 Adventurer
HAHAHAH omg. Thank you. That's soooo funny, why is that even an option!?!?

@Stiggie LMAOOO I'm actually screaming imagining this. I can't handle this game sometimes, some of the options are so ridiculous.
To be charitable, I think she was talking about how lonely she was as a kid and kept being hunted down as a Cetra, her hardship, etc. and maybe Cloud just doesn’t want her to keep shitting on herself in front of a bunch of people.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Ok, so the option that gives you the best affection points from Aerith on the water tower in Nibelheim is the one where Cloud straight up admits that being a love struck boy for Tifa who sits on the water tower hoping she'll wave at him, totally sounds like him.....are people still pretending Aerith doesn't ship Cloud with Tifa?
Yeah. One of the other options in that dialogue makes it seem like he did do that but he’s denying it out of embarrassment.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
God damnit, just wasted another 10 minutes playing Tifas piece on her piano for her, only to get NOTHING XD annoying part was that I had only 1 good the first try, which was actually perfect, and after that for some reason I could not get past a specific note.

Man though, Tifa actually brought up how Cloud was ALWAYS staring at her, this game is laying it on thick for Tifa in nearly every scene it seems.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
Aerith’s VA recently did an interview where she said that because it’s an RPG you the audience get to choose through Cloud who you want to spend time with. She expressed her personal love for both Cloud and Tifa’s relationship, and Cloud and Aerith’s and really sweetly and diplomatically said that you should play the game you want to play in regards to the relationships and dates because they are all beautiful and meaningful.

I’ll be interested if they keep up this minor element of Cloud choosing things that effect certain scenes, as by part 3 in the original there’s only really one more scene whose outcome is determined by the affinity mechanics (specifically Tifa’s under the Highwind scene)

Also despite having a certain amount of control when it comes to playing as Cloud, there’s no pick your own story when it comes to the Lifestream sequence
Here is the thing though, will part 3 transfer save games from part 2? Because part 2 didn't.

For part 3, if there is no save transfer (and I think SE will probably want people to be able to start with just part 3, since that's what they wanted with part 2) then part 3 will have to proceed in such a way that it makes sense if Cloud and Tifa had their date at the golden Saucer.....and you can't exactly turn that back.

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
Ehhh... One of the things about FF7 that stood out to me all this time was about how it subverted that particular mechanic. The game and Cloud himself would be worse off if player choice determined his feelings (and the story, by extension).

But then again, I'm also someone who screams to anyone who cares enough to listen that Persona, for example, would be better off having a main character who is an actual character and not the blank slate that everyone has different headcanons of.

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
How sincere this is is anyone's guess, but I feel that statement is at least partly PR. It's not like games like BG3 where the protagonist is player-made (far as I know that game), we're playing a predefined character.

Besides, if they applied that approach to their other games, FFX's romance, for one, wouldn't be the same and the thought of that is...not great.

Nal

Pro Adventurer

I think that works for Rebirth but doesn't make sense for Third Game. Though honestly I take that quote as her just wanting to remain as neutral as possible since she's probably and rightfully so doesn't want to deal with the harassment from toxic fans. In that same interview she told a story of her getting messaged to avoid the Tifa date at all costs cause it would disappoint them which is just insanity

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
How sincere this is is anyone's guess, but I feel that statement is at least partly PR. It's not like games like BG3 where the protagonist is player-made (far as I know that game), we're playing a predefined character.

Besides, if they applied that approach to their other games, FFX's romance, for one, wouldn't be the same and the thought of that is...not great.
Agreed, due to PR… I’d expect them to be a lot more neutral in regards to particular things.

JaeKony

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JaeKony
Here is the thing though, will part 3 transfer save games from part 2? Because part 2 didn't.

For part 3, if there is no save transfer (and I think SE will probably want people to be able to start with just part 3, since that's what they wanted with part 2) then part 3 will have to proceed in such a way that it makes sense if Cloud and Tifa had their date at the golden Saucer.....and you can't exactly turn that back.
Yea, that’s why I feel like people who use the “it’s optional“ argument for the GS Dates aren’t really seeing the bigger picture.

Even if some players didn’t get Tifa’s date, the writers for Part 3 need to assume that some players did, so they need to be careful not to contradict anything that occurred during that scene.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Yea, that’s why I feel like people who use the “it’s optional“ argument for the GS Dates aren’t really seeing the bigger picture.

Even if some players didn’t get Tifa’s date, the writers for Part 3 need to assume that some players did, so they need to be careful not to contradict anything that occurred during that scene.
The bigger implication is that Cloud is in-character for all the dates. Which means no matter which date the player got, Part 3 Cloud would thus still be the same character and still react to the characters the same. So even if one didn’t get the Tifa date, Cloud still wouldn’t be any different in regards to his interaction with her. Especially because, the next time they have a quiet moment together it will be during the Lifestream sequence.

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer

Plus, it's still highly likely that like the Resolutions in part 1, they'd just say in the Ultimanias that all the GS dates are canon xD

Top Bottom