SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

shady

Pro Adventurer
Again the issue with the Marlene thing is.. Marlene says Aerith likes Cloud yes, but then Aerith herself confirms to Cloud himself after this that she likes him but isn't sure what kind of like that is. So what Marlene says is correct but how does she know if it's a romantic like if Aerith herself doesn't even know if it's a romantic like?

It's bait for Zerith angst and because the player will obviously read into it romantically

Rin

Pro Adventurer
IMG_8890.jpeg
Here it is in English for anyone curious. Basically, Marlene is nosy lol. She's intelligent for her age, so she can pick up on things and is more perceptive than your average 4 year old, but that doesn't necessarily mean she understands the nuance or complexities of the situations that she's picking up on.

Precocious is a very important word here.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
View attachment 15251
Here it is in English for anyone curious. Basically, Marlene is nosy lol. She's intelligent for her age, so she can pick up on things and is more perceptive than your average 4 year old, but that doesn't necessarily mean she understands the nuance or complexities of the situations that she's picking up on.

I like how Marlene pretty much knows Tifa has an interest in Cloud too.

But yeah, at the end of the day, nobody is really debating that Aerith liked Cloud. The question is whether or not Zerith has sunk because of it. Which I would argue it hasn’t.

Last edited:

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
I like how Marlene pretty much knows Tifa has an interest in Cloud too.
She pretty much is designed to reprensents the two of them.

She's been around Tifa most of her life and is considered "a mini Tifa" when she's 6.
She loves Aerith who saved her life. Has some 6th sense too. She wears a bow in her hair to pay tribute.

She's a combination of the two (By Nomura himself in itw)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rin

c.lupara

Pro Adventurer
View attachment 15251

This could also be read as an attempt by Marlene to protect not Cloud but the friendship relationship that is created between Tifa and Aerith.

Now this would be interesting if it weren't for the fact that CC then came out;
some things from the OG lose their meaning and bite if analyzed in the context of the FF7 compilation and not just taking the OG into consideration.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
when people start to take 4 year olds perspective of romantic love seriously…there is a reason the author choose Marlene, who is 4 year olds, to say this instead of Elmyra
I would say it's a good sign and another confirmation that those people have never played FF7 lol

From a "cute easter egg from OG" to "big 4D chess CA ending confirmed" real quick.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Honestly, I think it’s just there to clue Zack in on what’s been going on since he died back in Crisis Core. Otherwise, how else would he have found out about Cloud and Aerith really?

So yeah, I think it’s there for angst.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
and some group of people take it as a sign that cloud and Aerith will be together…

Yeah. That's why I pointed out that in the end it still is a 4 years old little girl.

She literally is teaching good manners like children reciting their parent's lessons a few chapters earlier.

But hey, if they're happy with that and want to see some kind of prophecy, good for them.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
Yeah. That's why I pointed out that in the end it still is a 4 years old little girl.

She literally is teaching good manners like children reciting their parent's lessons a few chapters earlier.

But hey, if they're happy with that and want to see some kind of prophecy, good for them.
It's true that marlene is a 4 yo girl, but for intellectual honesties sake we should always consider if we're meant to take her words as those of a 3yo girl or as something meaningful.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
It's true that marlene is a 4 yo girl, but for intellectual honesties sake we should always consider if we're meant to take her words as those of a 3yo girl or as something meaningful.
Marlene's words will never and can never be more meaningful than Aeriths own, which is why this is a standard miscommunication trope. If Zack and Aerith were reunited after his last stand, she wouldn't even have feelings for Cloud because he'd still be catatonic without Tifa to wake him up. There would be no SOLDIER persona and no Zack emulation to confuse her. And even if there was for whatever reason, Zack would be right there anyway and Aerith would be more focused on their reunion.

Now, Marlene isn't lying to Zack by any means, but she doesn't know and doesn't understand the complexities of Aerith's heart. Thats why this scene comes before the dream date where Aerith decidedly speaks for herself.

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
Marlene's words will never and can never be more meaningful than Aeriths own, which is why this is a standard miscommunication trope.

or its just like how a child pointing our Aerith 'likes' Cloud its what her eyes can see but never understanding the complexities of 'love' and likes' ( She might feel / see that Aerith likes Cloud but not beyond the surface ) Just like Aerith's attraction to Cloud.. its just then surface ( persona ) because its 'like Zack'

She's trying to look beyond the persona to see if she can like' or love him too but as @eleamaya mentioned her future self (remake) has already already told her " Don't fall in love with me.. and even if you think you have its not true"

frosty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Snowman
This is the same Marlene that tells Barret she'll be be a good kid to Cloud & Tifa - that they'll be her "parents", right? Going by twitter, is that proof she changes her shipping preference sometime 1 year between FFVII and Advent children from Cloud/Aerith to Cloud/Tifa?

I guess I think it's weird Marlene is being used as a prophesy to confirm a mutual relationship Cloud /Aerith though. Yes, she does say Aerith likes Cloud, but Aerith herself says she's not sure of the kind of "like" and we all know the real reason Marlene says this is to eventually have ghost Zack and ghost Aerith come to terms with this in P3.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Of course this has been discussed at great length already but again I never liked that resolution at all. It makes Aerith out to be very arrogant especially at that point in the story.
Not really ? She's the Aerith who knows it all about OG. And she's talking to Cloud, but it's a resolution for herself too.

It was already a forshadowing of her internal struggle with Zack. In my language, she says "it's your imagination"

Kinda fitting with the whole persona thing.

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
It is bad convoluted writing from the devs. There is no reason why these multiple AUs should exist.

This is what happens when you let the writter from KH help write on an already very straight forward story.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
This is what happens when you let the writter from KH help write on an already very straight forward story.
You know that they're one and the same right ?

Not saying it's not convoluted time to time, but you can't really hate the persons you loved before

Reactions: LNK
Top Bottom