SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Looks like there are people on Twitter accusing Shinra Archeology Department of being the same people who run TLS, who are “toxic Clotis”.

God, this is…. really something.

I'm really wondering how these people will react when Part III drops. Like.... bro what did you expect ?

A part of me thinks they don't play the games to begin with. They just learned about this ship when younger and just went with it without looking too much at the source material.

But for the other... well... I think they're really gonna have a bad time... because if devs are really telling the truth... Part 3 is really gonna be "Toxic Clotis" material.

Last edited:

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I'm really wondering how these people will react when Part III drops. Like.... bro what did you expect ?

A part of me thinks they don't play the games to begin with. They just learn about this ship when younger and just went with it without looking too much at the source material.

But for the other... well... I think they're really gonna have a bad time... because if devs are really telling the truth... Part 3 is really gonna be "Toxic Clotis" material.
I suppose we’ll see. The fandom, for better or worse, is gonna explode with that game.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
A part of me thinks they don't play the games to begin with. They just learned about this ship when younger and just went with it without looking too much at the source material.
I had this thought when I watched the GS date for Red and people were commenting what happened to his voice.

They’ll never have a bad time because there’s always a reason why Cloud loves Aerith more. Hand holding is more romantic than a kiss, Cloud is jealous, Tifa is a prostitute, a screenshot from the 1900s…there will always be something.

It makes me wonder what if this game ends with Aerith and Zack reuniting and still loving each other? What happens then? There will even be an explanation for that somehow, like Aerith doesn’t really love Zack but she knows she can’t be with Cloud.

It doesn’t matter at all, they’ll bend the characters in any way to justify their ship.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
Wanna know a funny thing ? It's actually true characters were not even. Actually it's Tifa who had too many spotligth compared to Aerith and they had to boost her in the beginning of the game to make things a bit more fair. Devs itw from the 10 year Ultimania anniversary.

So yup, another Extreme Clerith argument in the mudd.

I'm not really on board with this "Aerith can be a bit dishonest because of the whispers you know" because she remembers that she gave the flower. So she remembers what she said to Cloud : "Take this flower, you can give it to your girlfriend" It can totally be a seller speech and Cloud did just what she told him to. So it's really strange to be angry at him about it. I still think it was not a good character writing.
Honestly, I dont even care what she remembers, she remembers she sells flowers doesn't she? Any flower seller that gets even slightly upset at her flowers being given to someone's significant other is beyond delusional

Last edited:

Pivi

Rookie Adventurer
Welcome welcome !

It's my "theory" too regarding the LTD. With the Re-trilogy they can deepen the characters we love and they choose a new love path for Cloud and Aerith. It's not a romantic one. It's something of their own. He's her protector first and foremost. I know not everyone would agree but I really think Cloud doesn't have this crush feeling in the Re-trilogy to be honest. Aerith is totally falling for him don't get me wrong. But I really think the game is telling us from start to finsh it's not reciprocal. He doesn't view her like that. He legit is the one putting up boundaries.

But yes, he cares a lot about her. They share the same inner loneliness and can bring the best of them when playing around.
I think SE is very much preparing part 3 for a Zerith ending (Cloti is a given). Taken Zack's "coming together again" comment, Aerith's unsureness of liking or "liking" Cloud all points towards to a Zerith comeback. Crossing my fingers, because they really deserve happiness too in the end.

As for Cloud's crush or non-crush on Aerith, I think it really is dictated by player action, how much of a crush it really is. I played the game with my standard OCD maximalism, so I have done all sidequests, gave mostly favorable and positive answers for the conversation choices, and in the end I got every character to light blue relationship status by the time of the gold saucer date. I got Tifa for my date, but there were times when I interpreted Cloud's interactions with Aerith as that of a little crush. Actually, I think that Cloud's subconscious is deeply in love with Tifa, but his soldier persona has a crush on both Tifa and Aerith. Of course it's just my opinion, but there are scenes which can be optional, and can be interpreted of the romantic nature. For Aerith, one such is in the remake if she gets the best dress for Corneo. She's really a bombshell there, and Cloud behaves like he thinks so too. As for Tifa, the same kind of scene is the Costa Del Sol beachwear scene, where Cloud is totally smitten with her there. There're also sidequests in rebirth which can be on the romantic side a little. Nothing deep though.

But if we play the game without the player dictated scenes that favors Aerith, then there's no crush at all. There was a little in my playthrough, but that's ok, Cloud's a teenager mentally, and both girls are beauties. It's how it should be. :-)

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
I agree that the flower thing in general is strange. It’s strange in the sense that she smiles when she sees it at Tifa’s bar, so that was her first reaction. It’s also strange because he didn’t just give it to “a girl” he gave it to Tifa. Her friend…who she knows has a lot of history with Cloud…which she has to at the least know something is going on there…

It’s why I think the entire relationship web just muddies things when you look at it deeper.

overheat28

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Overheat
I think SE is very much preparing part 3 for a Zerith ending (Cloti is a given). Taken Zack's "coming together again" comment, Aerith's unsureness of liking or "liking" Cloud all points towards to a Zerith comeback. Crossing my fingers, because they really deserve happiness too in the end.

As for Cloud's crush or non-crush on Aerith, I think it really is dictated by player action, how much of a crush it really is. I played the game with my standard OCD maximalism, so I have done all sidequests, gave mostly favorable and positive answers for the conversation choices, and in the end I got every character to light blue relationship status by the time of the gold saucer date. I got Tifa for my date, but there were times when I interpreted Cloud's interactions with Aerith as that of a little crush. Actually, I think that Cloud's subconscious is deeply in love with Tifa, but his soldier persona has a crush on both Tifa and Aerith. Of course it's just my opinion, but there are scenes which can be optional, and can be interpreted of the romantic nature. For Aerith, one such is in the remake if she gets the best dress for Corneo. She's really a bombshell there, and Cloud behaves like he thinks so too. As for Tifa, the same kind of scene is the Costa Del Sol beachwear scene, where Cloud is totally smitten with her there. There're also sidequests in rebirth which can be on the romantic side a little. Nothing deep though.

But if we play the game without the player dictated scenes that favors Aerith, then there's no crush at all. There was a little in my playthrough, but that's ok, Cloud's a teenager mentally, and both girls are beauties. It's how it should be. :-)

I totally agree but personally can't shake off a nasty suspicion Square Enix is addicted to using Zack as a punching bag at this point.

I am not discounting the possibility that they will use him as a sacrificial lamb to appease hardcore Cleriths. I wish they'd make it clearer so I could cut my losses and move on if need be. Aerith's behavior in Rebirth has not helped.

I started with Crisis Core and tried very hard to like Cloud. Ultimately, he never endeared himself to me. So at this point, my only interest in this trilogy is in seeing what happens to Zack. And I'd prefer them to telegraph ahead of time if they're going to shaft him so I can wash my hands of this, to be very honest.

WispyWave

Lv. 1 Adventurer
You have this same argument right now with Zack saying "Cloud save her" which might just be cause Zack doesn't know she's died but people seem to think it's foreshadowing that we can save Aerith
It's a reasonable interpretation if you ignore the rest of the game. It IS weird to include that if saving her is off the table, feels unnecesairy
In Japanese he just says "Cloud! Aerith!" so just a localization thing. 🤷‍♀️

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I totally agree but personally can't shake off a nasty suspicion Square Enix is addicted to using Zack as a punching bag at this point.

I am not discounting the possibility that they will use him as a sacrificial lamb to appease hardcore Cleriths. I wish they'd make it clearer so I could cut my losses and move on if need be. Aerith's behavior in Rebirth has not helped.

I started with Crisis Core and tried very hard to like Cloud. Ultimately, he never endeared himself to me. So at this point, my only interest in this trilogy is in seeing what happens to Zack. And I'd prefer them to telegraph ahead of time if they're going to shaft him so I can wash my hands of this, to be very honest.
But what if they aren’t?

I get your doom and gloom but nothing so far indicates to me that they plan to shaft Zack, aside from angst that may not exist next game. Especially considering Kitase wants everyone to have a happy send-off.

They remastered his entire game in prep for this.

In Japanese he just says "Cloud! Aerith!" so just a localization thing.
🤷‍♀️
Is this true?

Last edited:

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
I relate to you but in a different way. I love Cloud, but AC made me mad with his character for a moment. I know that he is a good character, but he put Tifa through a lot after the game events. I don’t know if it’s me being a woman or what. Tifa also was struggling with guilt and loss, and she was with Cloud from the moment she found him again up to saving his mind. But as soon as it got hard for him he left her alone and with two kids. I understand what was wrong with him, but at the same time…! At least Tifa did get to put him in his place and snap him out of it. So I came to find peace with that.

As far as Zack, I’m really hoping his part in all this is much bigger than fan service. Also, the moment him and Cloud reunite was kind of lackluster. He sees his best friend, who is a significant reason Cloud is the way he is, bad and good, but he just says Zack? Then they fight and he goes away. I guess they are in a crazy battle, but I don’t know, it was weird, I’d expect them to reunite with more time to see what is happening. There’s not even a mention anymore afterwards like, “I saw Zack” it just goes into Cloud looking uncanny with Aerith.

I’m hoping it will show him and Aerith doing their part in the lifestream to beat Sephiroth. That or Sephiroth does come for Aerith in another world, and Zack saves her.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer

I don't really agree. My OCD kicked in too and I have done all the content and quests before doing anything story related each chapter and I find the difference in treatement with the girl from Cloud POV kinda straighforward. He's legit pretty mean with Aerith when she tries a bit too hard. I felt bad for her multiple times.

The only truly wholesome and romantic moment they have is the photo quest in Cosmo Canyon. I don't see it romantic personally, but i agree it can be viewed like it.

Maybe we don't have the same definition of "crush". Reminds me of people in Remake that argue Cloud is falling in love because he's thinking about his mother lesson when he's at Aerith home... but forget that after this scene he's taking his leave never looking back. Good thing for him Aerith followed him in secret lol.

Again ! I'm not trying to reduce Aerith importance ! Bro is not blind. She's gorgeous. Funny. Caring. Maybe his Zack persona kicks in too. I don't really know. But I never really felt Cloud having romantic feelings for her.

And not saying you're wrong of course. It's just my interpretation.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
I used to think Cloud had feelings for both but after Rebirth I don’t see it that way anymore.

But what if they aren’t?

I get your doom and gloom but nothing so far indicates to me that they plan to shaft Zack, aside from angst that may not exist next game. Especially considering Kitase wants everyone to have a happy send-off.

They remastered his entire game in prep for this.

Is this true?
It is true, and sounds more like what he’s going to say is cut off because he falls.

nepheneethedestroyer

Lv. 25 Adventurer

Zack says クラウド、エアリスを-- he gets cut off, basically, but he's basically in the middle of asking Cloud to do [something] for Aerith, though the verb in his sentence gets cut off (that's what the を signifies). It's pretty clear I think that he's asking Cloud to save or take care of Aerith though.

Maybe we don't have the same definition of "crush". Reminds me of people in Remake that argue Cloud is falling in love because he's thinking about his mother lesson when he's at Aerith home... but forget that after this scene he's taking his leave never looking back. Good thing for him Aerith followed him in secret lol.

Cloud is a 22 year old (mentally arguably younger) man and Aerith is a gorgeous woman who is flirty and upfront, it's totally normal that he is at least a little attracted to her. FF7/Re-Trilogy doesn't feel like it's especially great with timelines or accurately charting the passage of time, so I think Cloud falling totally in love with her is a bit extreme (and that goes for Aerith as well, even if she has some Zack-related hangups) but I've never questioned that he was at least attracted to Aerith lol. Who wouldn't be :P

WispyWave

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Zack says クラウド、エアリスを-- he gets cut off, basically, but he's basically in the middle of asking Cloud to do [something] for Aerith, though the verb in his sentence gets cut off (that's what the を signifies). It's pretty clear I think that he's asking Cloud to save or take care of Aerith though.
Oh, thank you !! :D

WispyWave

Lv. 1 Adventurer
It wouldn’t be hard to believe Zack would tell Cloud to save Aerith. Marlene only told him Cloud has to wake up because if he’s not better Sephiroth will hurt her.

When he’s falling and only has three seconds, I can see him wanting to at least say that with the chance he had.
This was my thought when playing as well. I didn't even think twice about it. Zack doesn't know she just died? I only even looked up the Japanese because others seemed to be reading more into then me. 😅

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
I used to think Cloud had feelings for both but after Rebirth I don’t see it that way anymore.

It is true, and sounds more like what he’s going to say is cut off because he falls.
Same, I used to argue that Cloud probably had some romantic affection for Aerith, but that it really shouldn't be held in the same regard as that which he has for the love of his life. But in rebirth he was so dismissive of her it kinda made me change my mind. Its like the game and cloud both went out of their way to contrast their behavior against his behaviour around tifa

Top Bottom