SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
I could see getting to play as her for a short stretch in the opening to prepare for her stint as party leader.
I'm curious when and where Pt 3 is going to start from. I could see Icicle inn, or perhaps Modeoheim, as that's also in the area and would give us another Zack Flash to bring that up immediately.
Yeah wasn't Modeoheim the snow area with the factory looking place where Zack met Cloud for the first time? I can see them making the party walk through the same area and Cloud could get a flash to his first meeting with Zack there or something and we could rejoice about another take on Me? Gongaga while were at it :mon: .

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
R
I totally get it LunarTarotGirl, I personally find such a story unsatisfying as well, to find she didn't even have a crush just makes the whole thing seem so pointless especially if we don't get to see Aerith the woman fall in love with Zack the man, afterall the quote that said they didn't have time to show them properly so they made it like a sudden young love or something, we're not going to get to see them fully explore or fall in love as adults, which is why I guess I might end up ... shipless xD
Well we'll at least likely get moments showing they love eachother. It's something. They do have at least things to resolve and talk about it will be interesting. But I just don't know if that's like a finale thing or will we see them throughout. I actually really like Zerith so I am very curious how they handle this.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
I didn't see it in podcasts because I don't follow gaming podcasts, but there were a slew of at least 5-10 articles from various media reviewing "best dates of FFVII rebirth" and I'm pretty sure Tifa came up tops in most of them.

Even if the reviewers don't see her as "best" or that Aerith's date more organically flowed into the ending, almost all undeniably say Tifa is being shoehorned as the canon love interest and it's tragic that a Cloud/Aerith romance never quite takes off.

I can't say if journos are "neutral", I'm sure they work for gaming companies because they love games but it was interesting that they chose specifically to write about it

I'll see if I can link them later
Because everyone wants to talk about the LTD and nothing else about the game ofc :awesome: .

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
R
Well we'll at least likely get moments showing they love eachother. It's something. They do have at least things to resolve and talk about it will be interesting. But I just don't know if that's like a finale thing or will we see them throughout. I actually really like Zerith so I am very curious how they handle this.
It's so tricky they need the impact of Aerith's death, but they also need to build up Zerith for newcomers. I think best thing to do is have them get the reunion right after crater in the church. then have an Aerith Zack playable chapter during the time Tifa is unconscious, and then don't show them until the end parts again.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Always huh? I guess as a Clerith I have to hate Tifa by default then. No choice.

In fact I hated Tifa so much I had a blog post on how Cloud's answer to Do you love Marlene is supposed to be his answer to Tifa's "Do you love me?" And the answer being yes but I just don't know how to act around her sometimes. Which was what kicked off my series of essays on ACC. I was kinda facinated by the writing style in COT.

What can I say. Nothing is stopping my fated rage towards her.

Hm. Though I have to say. I really like listening to people who have no idea about LTD stuff try to puzzle it out. My husband does like romance he just doesn't care for any debates about it. While I'm all for debates because I like arguing I guess.

It's funny how different outside perspectives can be. Also very insightful. And I really think the main people you need to convince are those outsiders and more casual fans to end the LTD not the people entrenched in the war for years. And I think ReTrilogy is on the way to do just that.

I'm half joking. Don't worry about it. But also it's frustating that this is definitely a common sentiment because of how Loud the vocal ones are. They drown everyone else out.

But in seriousness even my mutuals who still think CA is canon also don't hate Tifa. In fact some like her more than you would think. It's just we get labled as Not CAs when that happens so I can see how the impression came about. The most vocal are the ones that are associated the most with the fandom while the rest are just kind of in the corner. Some are just waiting and seeing how ReTrilogy turns out.

And as I mentioned I do definitely think the LTD from the inside looks much worse than it is, but from the outside the general audience just goes with whatever they see on screen. And CT and ZA have been a lot more pushed recently so more people do accept it. You also just have these outside audience go with whatever they see of the character so they generally like them and are not mischaractizing them.

And I think in general these people will eventually just outnumber the more stubborn vocal and extreme fans.
I mean, if you don't hate her enough, you become a lying Cloti who just pretends to like Aerith.
I'm only sort of joking. It's happened before.

@Ryushikaze It could have been I guess. From what I remember their sources were very very old. Like they weren't even linking to tumblr posts but websites type of old. And surprisingly it wasn't anything I had seen before.
Was there anything about monkeys on it, perhaps?

Does anyone here think it could be both girls in the romantic sense?
No, because that's not really how narratives work. Like, there could be attraction during the period where she's still alive, but then the narrative swings super hard into telling us it's Tifa and has always been Tifa- and Retrilogy is seeding this in much heavier beforehand - that it's actually kind of less mean to Aerith if he doesn't catch feelings at all.

If I ever say “they” as in the other side I am only talking about the more toxic people. I know there’s toxicity on both sides, and I don’t know why the Cloti folks feel the need to be toxic when the remake is painting a good picture for them.

(I feel too new to all of this to call myself a Cloti, and feel like I’m just arguing the narrative…)
Yeah that's how you get labeled biased and a brainwasher and all sorts of other things. Stating you think Cloud winds up with Tifa at the end is enough for the battle lines to be drawn sometimes. Ask me how I know.

I used to before Rebirth. I’ve said a few times that Remake I was pretty indifferent about the romance. Rebirth is what made me see what is going on with Tifa and Cloud. Then you read the novels and it’s like oh, it’s not really a debate…

I can understand people coming to the Cloud and Aerith conclusion. It’s just that as far as I see, it is not in the narrative as far as the remake goes and the novels. I understand there may be a screenshot somewhere in some ultimania that puts a fire under the LTD, but there is just too much on the Cloud and Tifa side to make me think it was both girls.

Even now in the game I’m still seeing things that point me to the Cloud and Tifa direction. Things that they didn’t need to put in, but chose to in order to show where Cloud stands in both relationships.
Ultimanias as a whole have been strongly anti C/A and pro C/T in their statements, really.

Out of topic but a new cute Tifa & Cloud moment just dropped with the gacha event in WOTV

View attachment 16021
Is that the artist who designed for Case of Denzel animated?

Gotta also love that everyone who disagrees with anything is Cloti by default, as if there only existed Clotis and Cleriths and nothing else.
It's called a purity spiral and it's actually sort of fascinating.

You reminded me of a certain Jessie enjoyer who blames anyone who disagrees with their view that Jessie should be more than a side character and that they should get as important of a role as Tifa and Aerith does a rabid Cloti.
You can say his name. He has forfeited his right to obscurity and should be mocked for his actions.

That’s tribalism for you.

“You’re either with me or against me.”
As mentioned above, this is the purity spiral. It happens to all sorts of movements. Members of a group or movement start chopping out members of what would normally be their own ingroup for the crime of failing to live up to the extremely exact standards. Often paired with no true scotsman style arguments and retroactive disavowal of now objectionable elements of a group.

Other notable examples include but are not limited to.

“Everyone has their own interpretation…” but then they’ll be adamant that Aerith is still the real love interest.

“The player gets to decide” but then the kiss is not canon.

Etc Etc.
These however are more akin to special pleading, or the motte and bailey strategy. The motte being the more approachable "reasonable" position that "it's all optional" and the bailey being their actual beliefs that it's always been Aerith.

I wanna make a timeline showing the period where Cleriths talked about the GS date like it was the most important thing ever, then the moment Tifa was kissed, and then the following period where SUDDENLY the golden saucer is a meaningless optional thing made for fan-service XD
They're still trying to use the GS date as evidence, but now it's stuff like "It didn't show a kiss in Tifa's section on the date" and "Aerith's date was shown in Cloud's section talking about all the dates so that means it's the one that happened."

The Cleriths actually think (or pretend to think) that rebirth is pushing Clerith more, I just don't get how anyone could look at the game and come away with that opinion.
Legit I think it's desperate denial.

Oh I just came across this yesterday. I saw someone mention that certain Cleriths would basically taunt people about the upcoming GS date in which Aerith and Cloud would kiss. They’d also say “the Aerith date is coming” or something?

I just found that wild. Suddenly the GS is meaningless when the other girl got the kiss.

I never want to be a person who speaks too soon lol. I do like the meaningful discussions about the LTD, but I can’t deny the actual Cloti vs Clerith war makes me chuckle sometimes. People are so passionate and ruthless.
Ruthless, but rather dumb.

Yeah, it’s the backpedaling that gets me. They were so smug and so confident, then the other girl got the kiss and suddenly… “it’s optional”, “interlocked fingers is actually more romantic in Japan” etc.

We’re probably in for a repeat of this when Part 3 begins marketing.
It's going to be a complete and utter shit show. The strategic popcorn reserve may need to be mobilized.

Yeah wasn't Modeoheim the snow area with the factory looking place where Zack met Cloud for the first time? I can see them making the party walk through the same area and Cloud could get a flash to his first meeting with Zack there or something and we could rejoice about another take on Me? Gongaga while were at it :mon: .
It was indeed, and it's in the area.

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
I don't get this. "I don't care" isn't an answer to "what do you think". I didn't ask you if you cared. I can still take a position even on things I don't care about. Anyway, WHICH ANIME!?

Well he answered me... it just happened to be like pulling teeth lol. Same with when I brought it up to my guy friends they just groan lol. End of conversation. My female friends non LTD give opinions but it's very short.

My husband didn't groan but I had to basically lead the conversation by asking him what he thought besides "LTD is so weird" or "LTD is so stupid".

He finds the topic uninteresting basically he thinks it gets in the way of looking at other cool things in the story. He likes fights, he likes the weapons he likes the fighting Sephiroth thing. But to him it's obvious Cloud loves Tifa so it isn't any big reveal to him he would dwell on so when I told him about the Lifestream scene and showed him he was just kind of yeah... That is what we know all along....and didn't find it that exciting. Remember he didn't start with OG. He sees Tifa as obvious canon love interest.

Besides that he doesn't think who Cloud loves it is that important in the grand scheme of things. And he does like romance he thinks the scenes with CT are "nice" and he has shipped with me before what he is uninterested in is debate. I told him about fandom debates and Ultimanias and stuff in he is like "sounds like SE wanted money, not saying it straight out for years keeps everyone happy." Then I asked him about Remake and Rebirth. He said it's pretty clear to him it's CT and ZA.

Also he still doesn't understand why I involve myself but he knows he can't judge because he watches videos on like shonen anime powerscaling for fun sometimes so figures it's something like that.

Oh his favorite anime of all time. One Piece. I asked him about shipping in One Piece he doesn't ship anyone himself and he is not a fandom person but he gave me an entire rundown of character relationships in One Piece and suggested both OTPs and BROTPs I would probably be into. Lol. So yeah very different tone of conversation there.

It was very clear the One Piece conversation was more interesting to him as I didn't have to play 100 questions to get answers.

So yeah it's not that he said he didn't care it was just clear he didn't lol.

Last edited:

A-to-Z

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Does anyone here think it could be both girls in the romantic sense?
In the romantic sense no,

Trying to explain from a structural perspective: Tifa’s character arc involves her being the solution to the MC’s internal conflict, and while Aerith is equally important to the plot, (and even though I personally prefer her over Tifa) her character arc doesn’t necessitate her to distinguish between Cloud’s soldier persona and his real self/identity (which is the focal point and story objective of his character arc; him accepting this distinction is what leads to a satisfying ending; coming to terms with his insecurities, weaknesses and his losses which eventually makes him stronger) So in this sense, it’s clear to me that one girl is the intended endgame love interest.

But I can see why many argue it’s left to interpretation, (or that CA is romantically ambiguous) because with the entire comp in mind Cloud and Aerith still obviously have a precious and unique bond, and from a character POV standpoint, even though you can argue cloud didn’t develop feelings for her in any point of the story, the devs still made the conscious choice to portray their scenes in a way that can be interpreted in a romantic light; they certainly don’t want people to stop shipping them (in which case it’s still unfair and I believe intellectually dishonest if anyone tries to argue Cloud only loves Aerith and not Tifa, because even if you think he has romantic feelings for Aerith, then you can’t just deny his behavior and intentions towards Tifa; that’s ignoring a significant point of his character).

And also, I find it strange that many don’t share this sentiment: but as an Aerith fan, I have no problem with fanon multishipping and headcanons, but I still don’t get why people would want Cloud to be her canon and endgame love interest especially after seeing the lifestream sequence in OG, and especially after Rebirth, where he kissed Tifa. He manages to swoon Tifa off her feet and after that he gets Aerith too? Maybe that’s just me, but I don’t like that interpretation of his character, and I never liked the idea of Aerith still being in love with someone who inevitably won’t return her feelings because one of the big reveals of ff7 is from the start this guy’s devotion was already reserved for someone else.
I saw a shift in how they were developing him and Aerith's story and it's basically with Her not being sure she likes Him in that sense. And him completely oblivious to her feelings in the first place. Then him finding out about Zack being Aerith's boyfriend who in his eyes she still is head over heels for he needs to tell her what happened to him. This way the devs don't have to say anything about Cloud's feelings. He remains oblivious because he now has no reason to entertain Aerith having feelings for him.
I personally don’t agree with the interpretation that Cloud remains oblivious to Aerith’s feelings in the entirety of Rebirth, we saw him initiate undoubtedly romantic acts towards Tifa at GS, and we’ve seen him push away Jessie’s advances in Remake; he may be awkward and mentally stunted but I think he knows his social cues and is able to distinguish the lines between platonic and romantic. His dynamic with Aerith (at least since Remake) had always been indulging her wishes. If I were to put myself in Cloud’s shoes, I think I’d eventually understand that this girl is into me (at first cause I reminded her of her first love), she’s become dear to me, and I have fun spending time with her, but also when she tries to confess to me the first time at GS I’m like “You really need to know what happened to that other guy you still like after not seeing for a long time who you keep comparing me to” and at the end of it after holding her hand I feel like I didn’t even do anything. The dream date was confusing for Cloud because it was clear Aerith knew more than she let on but I don’t think he was unaware of the implications of that experience, he saw that yellow flower pin and remembered it’s Leslie’s gift to his girlfriend, the GS date was Aerith’s optional confession, while the dream date was the confession/resolution between the two characters that the plot demanded.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I can't really help you. The credit just say "Illustrator : Square Enix" lmao

FFBE : WOTV main artist is Ryoji Ohara. Hope it can help !
I saw it said "Square Enix" did the design, so I figured it was an in house artists, it just looks so much like the animation style of Episode Denzel.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
As the years go by, I find it a lot harder to take Final Fantasy fans seriously (for the general franchise). Perhaps it’s because I feel like I’m jaded now.

Its strange; it feels like they wanted to have their cake and eat it too, with that scene. It was either a confession or i like you but not romantically. but it feels out of character for Aerith with her last chance to not be able to say her feelings when all the time she's been a very upfront character.
Also highlights that the Aerith we see afterwards isn't really her, or at least a different version. it makes no sense for the scene that is very obviously directed as a goodbye, to be followed up again by the same Aerith just being there. So if we accept that that was actually the last time Cloud and Aerith spend significant time "together", then it makes no sense for the story to show that as anything but clearly romantic IF it were romantic. However, if it was something being "cut-off", in this case the concept of them as a romantic pair, then the entire atmosphere of the scene fits, because that makes it a "I can let go" type scenario.

I think it would be better to still start as Cloud, otherwise, we won’t control him until after the LS sequence which is a long way into Part 3 probably.
I 100% think we will, there is no shot that we won't see Cloud slowly break. The opening will be something with him holding the black Materia like Bilbo holds the ring, while smiling at a creepy ghost Aerith or something.
I genuinely think it's for the best if part 3 spends more time on Aerith and Zack than it does on Aerith and Cloud. To build that ship up again. When it comes to Cloud I think Aerith should probably be limited more to a mother who is relieved and almost gleeful to see Tifa step up as Clouds pillar. I would love to see Aerith reach an understanding of what actually was wrong with Cloud and to see her get some closure for that though.
I think some of the things that were reveals at first will now be told more through characters slowly exploring their thoughts, which we are already seeing in rebirth with Cloud trying to work through what happened with Zack, and I can even imagine that hypothetical feelings Cloud had for Aerith will be explored as well, perhaps even in scenes with Tifa rather than Aerith, but I do think the fact that Cloud was mimicking Zack in particular will then also be used as a more important "oh so thats why" type twist.
You can say his name. He has forfeited his right to obscurity and should be mocked for his actions.
Be careful though, I hear that if you say his name 3 times in a mirror he shows up.

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
I personally don’t agree with the interpretation that Cloud remains oblivious to Aerith’s feelings in the entirety of Rebirth, we saw him initiate undoubtedly romantic acts towards Tifa at GS, and we’ve seen him push away Jessie’s advances in Remake; he may be awkward and mentally stunted but I think he knows his social cues and is able to distinguish the lines between platonic and romantic.

Simple the Ultimania for OG said he is oblivious to both girls. If this is following OG that part would stay the same. What is different with Tifa is she basically opens the lines of communication early. Also he has zero reason to think Aerith is interested in Him because from his perspective she loves Zack. And every time she talks about feelings it's in relation to Zack not him. If he does figure it out it's not till she outright tells him he is the one she wants to be with now in the GS date definitely not before that. In Costa Del Sol only Aerith is aware of the implications of the job he took on he is like yeah sure whatever because he doesn't think of it romantically.

And based on how the conversation in GC goes I think he is thinking more "I think Aerith is missing this Zack guy" not "I think Aerith has feelings for me Cloud. And it's always framed like that.

Also how would Cloud figure Aerith is into him when he thinks she is head over heals* for Zack and when Aerith herself doesn't know if she is into him? Where would he get that impression? I think his conclusion was "I think Aerith is confused." And still not "Aerith has feelings for me."

This is what I'm saying. They don't actually have to address these feelings of hers for Cloud because everything is basically centered on her feelings for Zack.

So it's not that he is stupid to romance. It's that they literally gave him no reason to think she would like him and not Zack. Because Zack is who keeps getting brought up and when asks her she admits she has hasn't been given reason to dislike him.

Edit: *I'm keeping this typo lol

Last edited:

A-to-Z

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I am just not impressed with how wishy washy it comes across versus what they had already established as I said as Aerith is not round about she is very forthright. And nothing wrong with a person having unrequited romantic love that they are aware of and accepting that. I would have been all for it. But they as I said gave themselves an out with even her having doubts to the nature of her feelings.
To me Aerith is still bold, maybe not forthright exactly but she still confessed twice, it’s just her way of expressing herself is pure and innocent but I get why you didn’t like it especially with CoLW in mind; but if this dream date is after CoLW then I think it’s still fair for Aerith to reach that conclusion (or rather having reached a lack of conclusive certainty of the nature of her feelings for Cloud); ngl I think this ambiguity is part of the appeal of CA, while I don’t ship them, they’re just special to each other no matter if romantic/platonic boundaries are even drawn, that’s why their goodbye in that scene still made my heart ache.

Edit: I saw other people in the fandom consider the dialogue “liking and liking” or just “types of liking” in general as a callback to Tifa’s TOTP chapter; where she concludes she likes Cloud in the sure type of way. Some people think it’s meant to contrast with Aerith’s version in Rebirth.

Last edited:

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
I genuinely think it's for the best if part 3 spends more time on Aerith and Zack than it does on Aerith and Cloud. To build that ship up again. When it comes to Cloud I think Aerith should probably be limited more to a mother who is relieved and almost gleeful to see Tifa step up as Clouds pillar. I would love to see Aerith reach an understanding of what actually was wrong with Cloud and to see her get some closure for that though.
I agree with the mother part. Especially since it was kind of a thing in AC with Kadaj and Cloud calling Aerith mother when they felt her presence.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I 100% think we will, there is no shot that we won't see Cloud slowly break. The opening will be something with him holding the black Materia like Bilbo holds the ring, while smiling at a creepy ghost Aerith or something.
I think a cool thing they can do is just have Aerith present normally. She’s with the group and is accompanying them, but nobody but Cloud ever directly talks to her and she seldom chimes in when the group is talking, and then eventually that builds up into Cloud realizing she’s not actually there.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
I agree with the mother part. Especially since it was kind of a thing in AC with Kadaj and Cloud calling Aerith mother when they felt her presence.

Aerith has always been a goddess to me, ever since OG. The moment she dies, she becomes more than just a part of the planet. She is its will. That's always been my personal interpretation.

That's why all that "mother" stuff in AC never shocked me. I thought it was entirely appropriate.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
I can kind of see the game opening with Tifa finding Cloud at the train station. It’d be a restructure but I think it would set a good stage for his mental decline.

It also would be kind of similar to the beginning parts of Rebirth, with Cloud telling the story of the Nibelheim accident.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
To be honest, I've always found it very unhealthy to romanticize this relationship when we're talking about a character with complex mental problems. And I think that's not an interpretation. Cloud before Mideel is in pieces. He hears voices, has visions, has forgotten 5 years of his life. He speaks and behaves physically like a completely different person. I think the game easily shows that something is wrong with him.

Everyone is free to feel differently, and I'm not saying you are weirdos or anything. Not at all. But as far as I'm concerned, it's always been a drag to get used to the idea that Aerith and Cloud are something concrete from a romantic standpoint. He was incapable of showing any feeling at that point in his life anyway.

The Final Fantasy Remake project is supposed to be the "ultimate" vision of the universe. And I think they're pretty clear when they talk about the characters' feelings. And I think I prefer it that way. Aerith has managed to earn a special place in Cloud's heart. Someone he cares about and is willing to risk his own life for. You don't have to be in love to love someone.

FF7 was first and foremost a game for teenagers. Now they can afford to go much deeper into things and the characters' relationships. And for me, that's the best thing they've done with this project. I've never loved these characters as much as I do now. They no longer just have functions, but real motivations, internal conflicts and so on.
The characters is the bread and butter for me in the retrilogy easily and even if i don't like some story directions they've taken like with the endings so far, the characters alone carry the games for me hard. I've never been so attached to a group of characters in a game honestly as i am with these guys.

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
Aerith has always been a goddess to me, ever since OG. The moment she dies, she becomes more than just a part of the planet. She is its will. That's always been my personal interpretation.

That's why all that "mother" stuff in AC never shocked me. I thought it was entirely appropriate.
Is this not also a CC easter egg? Doesn't Zack also say "Mom?" Before he wakes up? Then an "angel?" when he opens his eyes? I can't remember. (Anyone remember?)

But yeah I think by ACC Aerith has transcended to like Lifestream Guardian so the "mother" is very appropriate and sweet there.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
The characters is the bread and butter for me in the retrilogy easily and even if i don't like some story directions they've taken like with the endings so far, the characters alone carry the games for me hard. I've never been so attached to a group of characters in a game honestly as i am with these guys.
I’m a sucker for romance, what hooked me is Cloud and Tifa. If you put a good romance in a game it will become my favorite game.

HOWEVER…yes all of the characters are amazing. I love their stories and background. Nanaki got me teary eyed…Aerith’s final goodbye got me teary eyed- ugh when she said it’s been fun!!! Hurt so bad.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I think I’m in the same boat. I don’t particularly like some of the directions they’ve taken with the story either. But the character work is great to me.

A-to-Z

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Simple the Ultimania for OG said he is oblivious to both girls. If this is following OG that part would stay the same. What is different with Tifa is she basically opens the lines of communication early. Also he has zero reason to think Aerith is interested in Him because from his perspective she loves Zack. And every time she talks about feelings it's in relation to Zack not him. If he does figure it out it's not till she outright tells him he is the one she wants to be with now in the GS date definitely not before that. In Costa Del Sol only Aerith is aware of the implications of the job he took on he is like yeah sure whatever because he doesn't think of it romantically.

And based on how the conversation in GC goes I think he is thinking more "I think Aerith is missing this Zack guy" not "I think Aerith has feelings for me Cloud. And it's always framed like that.

Also how would Cloud figure Aerith is into him when he thinks she is head over heals* for Zack and when Aerith herself doesn't know if she is into him? Where would he get that impression? I think his conclusion was "I think Aerith is confused." And still not "Aerith has feelings for me."

This is what I'm saying. They don't actually have to address these feelings of hers for Cloud because everything is basically centered on her feelings for Zack.

So it's not that he is stupid to romance. It's that they literally gave him no reason to think she would like him and not Zack. Because Zack is who keeps getting brought up.

Edit: *I'm keeping this typo lol
Oh I never knew/realized Cloud was supposed to be oblivious to both girls in OG. It’s just my opinion that his portrayal is a bit different in the Retrilogy though, because I surmised that if he’s capable of initiating romantic acts himself, it just makes sense to think that he’s gotta have awareness to some extent.

Also maybe it’s just my attachment to Zerith but I’ve never considered Aerith’s feelings for Zack and Cloud to be equivalent it’s hard to see CA romantically when the romantic aspect of their relationship can’t exist in a vacuum since it was always provoked by Aerith’s lingering fondness of her first love (and this was true in OG too, maybe until the GS date), but even afterwards in ACC they treat Cloud as a big kid, and that big kid made a joint monument for them so to me it’s consistent with Retrilogy’s portrayal how Cloud remembers Zack to be “Aerith’s man” the one she misses and yearns for because he understands her loss.

Which is why I think whether or not ACC will still be the direct sequel of the Retrilogy, it’s still going to be a main reference on how the devs approach the story and characters moving forward.

A-to-Z

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Is this not also a CC easter egg? Doesn't Zack also say "Mom?" Before he wakes up? Then an "angel?" when he opens his eyes? I can't remember. (Anyone remember?)

But yeah I think by ACC Aerith has transcended to like Lifestream Guardian so
Zack hears his real mother’s voice in his dream while he’s asleep, saying “Tell me what happened” that’s what makes him respond “Mom?”

Top Bottom