SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I don't see it because what we need for Barret's story is:

• Cloud and Tifa in Mideel
  • a full party member of Barret +2 for the main quest (so that means either Yuffie, Vincent, Cait Sith)
  • Cid to pilot the HW (and the whole crew) or at least the Tiny Bronco

You have the space for one party member leaving, literally. That you have to pick amongst Yuffie, Vincent and Cait Sith.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
I think both of you don't really understand but we're likely to cut corners rather than add too much in the main story in p3. Do you realise how gigantic the story from 2 discs that is left remains to be told? We have so much shit to do and that with a completely redone Wutai plot.

What they are going to do is streamline this to the ground so it makes sense to follow a main storyquest and not be like in the OG and have plenty of threads to follow or not. We're going to have nods to the Compilation, but things like splitting the party after Tifa leaves etc. creates too much confusion when we have the huge materia quest brewing since p2 already, the Weapons awoken, Meteor summoned etc. And with probably new parts for Aerith and Zack too!

I mean really look at what we have to do and what you ask for: that's several hours of gameplay for something that is truly not necessary, especially if you consider that Kitase was ready to cut off Barret's back story in Corel. I'm just saying, but honestly when I make predictions I try to remain reasonable considering that they have to cram the two heavy story discs into one game.
We also need to remember one crucial difference between p2 and p3.
Rebirth was the introduction to the worldmap segment of the game. This was the fun adventure segment of the story
And the vast majority of the 100+ hour gametime is in world exploration and discovery, in that adventure.
P3 will most likely have way less time devoted to that, since the majority of the regions of the story have already been discovered.
Not only that but the party itself is now in a more focused part of the arc.

In Lord of the rings terms you start in the shire, then you spread out your story, Frodo goes to mordor, the rest to Rohan, then Rohan AND Gondor, And the paths of the dead, more characters, more story-arc, more time required to flesh them all out, things slow down. In the end though you get the counteroffensive and everything focusses back in on one point, Mordor, and everyone is reunited after completing their arcs.

FFVII, like most stories, started at a very focused point, Midgar and the bombings of the reactors and the fight against Shinra. Then the plot opened up and the possibilities became broader with Sephiroth, Aerith, (and now fate), as we fled Midgar in pursuit of Sephiroth we had a very broad vision of what the future held, stuff had to be handled and figured out. Things had to be explored. We then get the world map, or Rebirths open world in remake. Here we can do all kinds of things tangentially, it all runs parallel as we slowly move towards climax. We're exploring, we're bonding, we're setting up parallel character arcs, all kinds of stuff.

Through all that we get insight into the final objective concerning Sephiroth and the black materia and as certain concepts start popping up in different parts the story slowly starts to converge again and pick up pace. Aeriths death is essentially the end of the part of the story that I call "the halcyon days", where the characters build up the bonds that will then in turn give them the strength to together overcome what they would otherwise not have been able to handle. Think of how Zidane helps everyone throughout FFIX and how that then returns in "you're not alone". Cloud has essentially done that build up in Rebirth, and P3 will be the pay-off.

But the point is that once the story conglomerates it refocuses, with Aeriths death the party is now firmly pointed towards Sephiroth in North crater, the first encounter with the great evil that will result in the heroes failure because he has not yet overcome his inner trial.
After this we'll get a period of re-adjustment, the party goes away, it broadens a bit again so that people can finalize their personal arcs and achieve the narrative state needed to overcome the final trial. Then the story will refocus and move towards the final showdown.

This mean that P3 will have a very similar structure to p1/2 together, it will have way less time to spend on exploration, because the broad part of the story mostly consists of wrapping things up, and by stint of it being story wrap-ups these will be very story focused. All this points towards the same thing imo, WAY less time spent on mini-games and exploration, way more time on 'non-filler" scenes.
This also has implications on things like Affection mechanics btw, great for the broad team building part of "halcyon days", not that fitting for the arrow focused part coming up next.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
You know.... there's a lot about the original that some people seem to have missed.

And I'm really curious to see if the developers will dare to keep it that way (=Aerith really not present for most of the story).
hope she shows up in dreams to talk with tifa at a certain moment. There bond is
the one that needs the most closure now and if with the story going full cloti
showing more of their friendship would be smart

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I'm a fan of the Classy Burn, so don't mistake my surprise for disapproval :awesomonster:
I shant.

Don't mind her, she's just back in the trenches.
SHellshocked because of Shipping.

I mean, if you have the option of being the Carlin and you don't take it, you know you've fucked up.
I always take the option to be the Carlin.

For the edification of all, let's just say this. If you assume a conclusion and seek evidence to prove it/ignore evidence that would disprove it, you are wrong. Even if your assumption is genuinely proven by the narrative, you are wrong. The end.
Yes. Build a hypothesis from observation, and then test it test it test it, discarding whatever does not work.

So... Brutally Cunning then?
Decidedly.

That is good. I need to check the DMG now, are explosions a possible effect from the ol' Bag of Beans?
Not near mine to check.

Let's see, "garbage in garbage out" is well known and broadly accepted. Does it then follow that "same garbage in, even worse garbage out" holds true?
There's definitely something to be said of the garbage growing more fetid over time.

After all these years I'm still mad at The Sci-fi Channel.
Everyone is.

Pfft, you can always find new purpose, and should when your original purpose is wrong.
I know, but they are definitely attached to their current one.

In the context of the LTD respectively, right? Cause in general this just always be happening.
It has been, but on the internet it seems to be happening at an ever increasing pace.

Someone has to clean the pool.
Yeah, it's unhygienic to leave it like that.

That axe-kick she used would turn a trooper's head and torso to jelly, so yeah it's pretty Spiderish.
Now I'm trying to figure which Marvel Heroes best fit the gang.

On the subject of party splitups, If we get it, it might be in a "we need to go after two Magnus Material at once" deal while Cloud and Tifa are both at Mideel. Barret and Cid and Cait Sith go to Corel, while Yuffie, Vincent and Cid go to fight off a Shinra Assault on Ft Condor or the like.

I personally think the Wutai Arc should at least be started while Tifa is the party leader. We need more time for her to lead and for Cloud to be missing so we can miss him mechanically.

Last edited:

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
If I had to guess how they're going to structure part 3, this would be my guess:

We start with showing Zack or Aerith, just like in Rebirth. Whether this be their reunion or not, who knows. I think it would be best to make us wait a little bit more, since I don't know if players would feel the impact of a Zerith reunion if it was the first thing shown to them after a 3-4 year break. Then, just like in Rebirth with Kalm, we get transported to our party in Icicle Inn. From here on out, things progress as usual, with the added depictions of the party grieving and Cloud further losing himself. I'd also like to guess that Cloud might falter during this time, going unconcious, and having to be carried (by Barret, probably) to the cabin at the foot of Gaia's Cliffs. This could be a nice nod to the OG, and it's also a good time to have another Zack/Aerith interlude.

Then, upon reaching the Northern Crater, Sephiroth will most likely use Aerith's death as gaslighting material along with Cloud's false recollection of the Nibelheim incident. Sephiroth will first show Aerith's death, and Cloud will deny it: "it's just an illusion". He realizes here that Tifa's trust in him is wavering, and he gets worried, but he is still confident it's an illusion. Then Sephiroth busts out the Nibelheim incident gaslighting material, and yet again, Cloud will deny it. This is where we can have Cloud realize Tifa has lost faith in him, just like in the OG, and the confidence that it's all just an illusion fades and his mind breaks.

The reason I say this is because, I think it would be odd if Sephiroth didn't use Aerith's death to some extent to break Cloud's mind. Aerith's death has put Cloud into an incredibly delusional, fragile state of mind, so I feel like it would be really fitting for Sephiroth to take advantage of that.

Everything proceeds as usual, Shinra 'saves' the party from the madness that ensues at the Northern Crater, but has plans to publicly execute them in an attempt to save face. Tifa is out for a week, and I think this would be a good time to have the Zerith reunion, for reasons I will explain later. For now, Tifa wakes up and everything proceeds like in the original, minus the slap fight, I always feel so embarrased watching that scene. Here's hoping it gets replaced with either a swift uppercut to the jaw, or I could even see a bossfight slotted in here, maybe something similar to the fight with Scarlet in Gongaga.

Anyway, this is when the search for Cloud commences, and also when things are escalating between Wutai and Shinra again, since Shinra does fire the canon again to defeat the weapon that attacks them. Like others have mentioned, it would be nice to have Tifa be the party leader for a little longer this time, so I think she should be the leader during the Wutai arc. How exactly the party are going to get wrapped up in it, I couldn't really tell you.

If I had to guess, I'd say this is also a chance to slot in Rocket Town, as the town is very western, and closest to Wutai out of any location in ff7. I feel like it would make sense to visit there to:

1) Ask around for Cloud. Has anyone seen him, places where he could be etc.
2) Justify two visits to Rocket town. Others here have proposed that Rocket Town could be done in one visit, I disagree. Having Cid have his grumpy arc start and be resolved within like 20-40 minutes of gameplay would feel silly and might give me whiplash.
3) Wutai advances are seen, which convinces Yuffie to take action/investigate the situation a bit. She convinces the party to come back to Wutai with her. It would make sense, since they are searching for Cloud at that time, it would be easy to convince the party that he could possibly be there (only god knows where he is at this point in time).

This is also a chance for Yuffie to take advantage of the fact that Cloud, their original leader, is gone, and so she takes the chance to steal their materia and run off to fight in the war. What happens from here to the end of the Wutai arc? Who knows. As others have mentioned, Cloud being gone for this would make us miss him mechanically, so it would be effective in making the player also miss Cloud.

After Yuffie is recruited back to the party, (whether or not the conflict with Wutai is resolved at this point, I can't really say) we yet again begin searching for Cloud. We visit multiple different locations, and somebody, probably Dr. Sheiran, tells us that he has treated many a mako poisoned victim, and that they most frequently come from Mideel, sometimes also washing up there. This could be a hint for our party to visit there, and lo and behold, they discover Cloud, mako poisoned and catatonic. This is where Tifa leaves the party to care for Cloud. As others have mentioned, Dr.Sheiran could follow along, him wanting to get a blood sample from Cloud feels like it's hinting at something.

Then, we catch wind from Cait Sith that Shinra are planning to use the huge materia (either against Wutai, or against Meteor. Probably Meteor). Others have suggested a party split here, but I don't really think that would work. Cloud not being present for two whole huge materia and we are now severely cutting down Cloud's screentime. He's already been gone for a long time at this point, so having him miss even more would feel like a shame, we wouldn't get to see enough of 'real Cloud' as I would like. And also, ft. Condor doesn't really exist as a location anymore, atleast not in the same way it used to, I wonder how they'll slot in a fourth huge materia or if they'll just cut it down to three. Our first stop is Corel, this is also Barret's chance to redeem himself in the eyes of the Corel residents, just like in the OG.

After this, Cait Sith notifies us that a weapon has been spotted around Mideel. The party take the warning and return to Mideel, where a weapon is aggravated and aggressive, and there is a risk that it could attack Mideel. In the end, the weapon does attack Mideel, and the party are there to fight it, and then Cloud and Tifa fall into the Lifestream, same as the OG.

Whether or not those two baby weapons will be involved here, I don't really know. It feels very likely that there are specifically two of them for a reason, and judging by the fact that Tifa's mini-lifestream sequence happened while inside one also makes me think that the two babies will be involved in the same way.

This is also where I think Zack/Aerith will be involved in the LS, and why I think it was important for them to reunite at an earlier point in the story. Last time Tifa went through memories in the LS, Sephiroth attacked her. In the OG, the LS is where Sephiroth really lost, it was then and there that Cloud regained the courage to face Sephiroth again, and therefore defeat him. Sephiroth has been trying his hardest to drive a wedge between Cloud and Tifa for this exact reason, he is going to do everything in his power to prevent Tifa from saving Cloud. This is where Zack/Aerith come into play, since we are in the lifestream already, having Zack and Aerith fight off Sephiroth so Tifa can save Cloud without interruption just makes a ton of sense to me.

What exactly happens during the LS? Who knows, something really worth the build up, hopefully. I doubt we will get a kiss here, it would be much appreciated, and would hammer home that the LS is supposed to be romantic. Maybe we could even get a spoken confession since Cloud's subconcious is more confident in speaking his mind (pardon the pun). But I am doubtful of either of those things happening during the LS.

Post LS, we have Cloud back, and so we start up the huge materia quest again, Rocket Town, underwater facility etc. After that, the party needs to find a way to stop meteor, and so we revisit Cosmo Canyon and the Forgotten Capital, and just like in the OG, Aerith's death is replayed to the party, and this is a chance to give Cloud and co. a chance to see what actually happened, and a proper chance to grieve.

Then we have the return to Midgar, I doubt this part will change that much. Maybe Wutai will be involved, if the conflict with them wasn't resolved earlier, it might be resolved here if so, who knows.

I think UTH will remain relatively faithful. It will start with Cloud telling the party to find what they are fighting for, that he doesn't blame them if they don't return etc. same as usual. I think the scene will have a kiss, it just has to. There has been SO much build up to it. If the UTH doesn't have a kiss atleast, I would be shocked. Whether or not they want to keep the implied sex, who knows, probably not, though.

Then, we return to the Northern Crater, and the final battle will probably be something similar to the one in Rebirth, with the party and Zack/Aerith(/Cloud) fighting Sephiroth across the different worlds.

After writing this, I realize that I forgot to include the purpose of the Clear Materia, but at this point I've already spent ages writing it so, yknow.

Of course, if I forgot anything, please feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
I wonder if they'll keep the Cloud separation and meeting as such. Because in OG it's a bit weird. Cloud ends up on the ceiling (??) gives the black materia and that's when the planet triggers its giant weapon plan. The crater "explodes" and the wave is so violent that Tifa is knocked unconscious for a week. And when they're in a position to act again, I never really understood how they can be so sure that Cloud has survived/is no longer there/can be found on the way. I think the script needs to be tweaked a bit to give the team a totally different reason to go to Mideel. And I think that's why we need to control Tifa for longer. To experience a Tifa who maybe thinks Cloud is dead. A Tifa who last saw him as perhaps a puppet.

Leaving Junon with the idea that Cloud is no more is, I think, a good way of making the discovery of his "inert" body even more powerful. Showing that Tifa, who had decided to take things in hand for the team, decides at the mere sight of Cloud to abandon everything and let herself die with him (while the player who doesn't know OG isn't even sure he's a real person) will be a really strong moment. The "yeah she's really in love" moment.

I'm really curious to see how they'll handle all of it.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
How exactly it happens should probably be tweaked a bit, yeah. But Tifa searching for Cloud is important. That even though she lost faith in him the Northern Crater, she's not ready to give up on him. It's kind of supposed to showcase the ups and downs of their bond, and it would even more so in part 3 after Rebirth, so not having her search for Cloud cheapens that just a little bit, I think.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
How exactly it happens should probably be tweaked a bit, yeah. But Tifa searching for Cloud is important. That even though she lost faith in him the Northern Crater, she's not ready to give up on him. It's kind of supposed to showcase the ups and downs of their bond, and it would even more so in part 3 after Rebirth, so not having her search for Cloud cheapens that just a little bit, I think.

It can be a lil' source of conflict. Her saying "I'm sure he's somewhere" and the other being "we have better things to do"

In OG Cid and Barret are kinda assholes in regards of Cloud missing lmao.

Cloud's last known location is a crater that no one can access any more because a light shield blocks the entrance.

And Nanaki's explanation of Lifestream's currents is a bit sketchy, to be honest. I find it too hypothetical and unreliable to launch a big rescue mission when the world is burning with war, meteor and weapons. I don't know.

Last edited:

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
It can be a lil' source of conflict. Her saying "I'm sure he's somewhere" and the other being "we have better things to do"

In OG Cid and Barret are kinda assholes in regards of Cloud missing lmao.
I don't know if Barret would be insensitive to Tifa like that, I can see Cid doing it though.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
Cloud ends up on the ceiling (??)
I’m sorry this made me laugh because when I watched this part in OG I was like “what is happening?” since he floated to the top and was upside down.

I think I need to hunker down and watch the full OG from where Rebirth stops. Everyone’s speculation has me wondering where I think they’ll continue from.

Reactions: Rin

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
I’m sorry this made me laugh because when I watched this part in OG I was like “what is happening?” since he floated to the top and was upside down.

I think I need to hunker down and watch the full OG from where Rebirth stops. Everyone’s speculation has me wondering where I think they’ll continue from.
Wouldn’t be shocked if it’s a weird space in general so this makes more sense. Full of paradox spaces etc to make it more of a “planet prison”.

Ugh, this wait is going to be excruciating. Post Remake didn’t feel like this lol

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Just today, I saw a few bad takes reeking of copium:

• The LS scene is what we had in Gongaga (no)
  • The sales were lackluster because of Tifa and CT kiss (no, she isn't the one who got promoted to death, literally)
  • Tifa is going to help Cloud and Aerith reunite (lol)
  • some people didn't like FFVII Music doing an analysis of the music in the bedroom in Gongaga between Cloud and Tifa (seriously?)
  • a CA argued with a Japanese of the translation of "take that hand" which they said was "take my hand"
  • Tifa is the delulu one, not Cloud; her memories are fake and she's the unreliable narrator

Also from the last days, Tifa is not a mother (when people celebrated her for Mother's Day). Also dissed her for her birthday.

Part 3 can't come soon enough, seriously.

It's actually a scene that the devs really liked (I think Nojima or Nomura commented on it, I don't remember whom exactly), so I think we're likely to see Cloud upside down again. I feel this is how he creates his own world with the dome in the Lifestream, probably? Fighting with his multiple personas because he's lot and doesn't know who he is.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
Tifa is the delulu one, not Cloud; her memories are fake and she's the unreliable narrator
This is from Margot, if I remember correctly, isn't it?

The sales were lackluster because of Tifa and CT kiss (no, she isn't the one who got promoted to death, literally)
As if Tifa wasn't trending on twitter for like a week straight before Rebirth released.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names

Very good.

SHellshocked because of Shipping.

PTSSD for post traumatic shipping stress disorder?

I always take the option to be the Carlin.

Then you've not fucked up, on this topic at least.

Yes. Build a hypothesis from observation, and then test it test it test it, discarding whatever does not work.

Test like there's cake waiting at the end.

Decidedly.

:monster:

Not near mine to check.

Luckily mine is right here :awesomonster: An explosion worth 5d4 is what you get when you dump one out or throw it rather than carefully plant it so I did remember this right.

There's definitely something to be said of the garbage growing more fetid over time.

I like it.

Everyone is.

Too true.

I know, but they are definitely attached to their current one.

Well then, I recommend amputations.

It has been, but on the internet it seems to be happening at an ever increasing pace.

It does feel like the internet accelerates the tribe breakdown a bit. More than a bit, really.

Yeah, it's unhygienic to leave it like that.

Gross indeed.

Now I'm trying to figure which Marvel Heroes best fit the gang.

Deja vu? :awesomonster:

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶

• The sales were lackluster because of Tifa and CT kiss (no, she isn't the one who got promoted to death, literally)
  • some people didn't like FFVII Music doing an analysis of the music in the bedroom in Gongaga between Cloud and Tifa (seriously?)
  • a CA argued with a Japanese of the translation of "take that hand" which they said was "take my hand"
  • Tifa is the delulu one, not Cloud; her memories are fake and she's the unreliable narrator

Also from the last days, Tifa is not a mother (when people celebrated her for Mother's Day). Also dissed her for her birthday.

It's actually a scene that the devs really liked (I think Nojima or Nomura commented on it, I don't remember whom exactly), so I think we're likely to see Cloud upside down again. I feel this is how he creates his own world with the dome in the Lifestream, probably? Fighting with his multiple personas because he's lot and doesn't know who he is.
I’ve seen all these takes too. It’s really sad honestly. Some people will do anything to just completely destroy Tifa’s character.

It’s hard for me to believe these people are actually fans of the game. I like Cloud and Tifa together, it has nothing to do with my feelings towards Aerith. It doesn’t make me dislike her or feel the need to shit on her. So it’s hard for me to wrap my head around people shitting on Tifa when it’s regarding the LTD. This would go for any character, Tifa, Zack, Cloud, etc.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie

Cant be worse than me just having to explain to a CA who believed that "if Aerith loved Zack she wouldn't have chosen Cloud as her final date" that "final date" has nuance in it, in that it's her goodbye to Cloud because she's going to die, and therefore her "final date". But that that doesn't mean it's her final date in regards to Zack, since it's not a goodbye for them as they're both dead.
The replies I got were so braindead that their sheer stupidity made it hard to argue, it's like responding to someone saying "Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?" How do you explain to someone that they're being totally logically incoherent? So wrong as to be incorrectible?

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu

So, Denzel doesn't count? I don't know if formal adoption is a thing in the chaos of the world post Meteor, but the boy considers her and Cloud his new mom and dad.

PTSSD for post traumatic shipping stress disorder?
I mean, given that she's still as far as I'm aware still obsessing over my old article (and claiming it's been retracted which, fuck, no I did not) I think we may have a solid diagnosis.

Then you've not fucked up, on this topic at least.
now then, I have a great idea on how to deal with crazy shippers who insist Canon ships are incorrect, and I think it might also be able to balance the budget.

Test like there's cake waiting at the end.
Until there's fire. Then escape and rage like you were denied cake.

Luckily mine is right here :awesomonster: An explosion worth 5d4 is what you get when you dump one out or throw it rather than carefully plant it so I did remember this right.
Here's to good memories all around.
And WOTC either getting their head out their ass or Tabletop moving away from their bullshit. Maybe both.

I like it.
Some arguments age like fine wine. Some age like Milk on a hot stove under a heat lamp.

Well then, I recommend amputations.
I'll Rev up the chainsaws.

It does feel like the internet accelerates the tribe breakdown a bit. More than a bit, really.
The purity spirals are also getting more extreme, it seems.

I mean, it's all free association theater up in here. You get used to it after awhile.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
I’ve seen all these takes too. It’s really sad honestly. Some people will do anything to just completely destroy Tifa’s character.

It’s hard for me to believe these people are actually fans of the game. I like Cloud and Tifa together, it has nothing to do with my feelings towards Aerith. It doesn’t make me dislike her or feel the need to shit on her. So it’s hard for me to wrap my head around people shitting on Tifa when it’s regarding the LTD. This would go for any character, Tifa, Zack, Cloud, etc.

Because Cloti can exist with Aerith around. Clerith can't exist with Tifa around. Simple as that.

That's why they hate her so much. Because they can be loud and full of copium. But they know very well deep down that she is a problem for their ship to exist. She has to go. For years Tifa was just an NPC if you listen to them but suddenly the LS scene is a problem. What a coincidence.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
Something else in regard to Denzel:

Cleriths love to say that Denzel is supposed to be Cloud and Aerith's child because of how he looks. The funniest part is though, using that criteria, Denzel could just as easily be Zack and Aerith's (brown haired mother and blue eyed father)

Nevermind that Denzel's parents kind of resemble Cloud and Tifa, they just look more normal/side character-y.

The mental gymnastics are fucking crazy I'm sorry 💀☠️
I swear Marlene's hair being styled like Aerith's isn't a coincidence, right? And that it's actually Tifa who does her hair like that, not Cloud?

Aerti rise up!

Top Bottom