SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
anyone wana check the japanese on this XD
I wouldn't bother, Sacky. I took that person up on that exact thing a couple of days ago.

Basically, they're just omitting any and all context in favour of construing a quote that says a man and woman belong together in a platonic way. There is absolutely NOTHING platonic about this quote.

That's something else that annoys me about the LTD, people love to ask Japanese people what a quote "means" (the wording and what it implies), but they're:

1: Omitting context from an extremely context heavy language
2: Isolating words from the sentence.

What really annoys me is 2, because you can do the exact same thing in English. Let's take this quote for example:
"Inside, I felt one thing was sure, Cloud and Tifa would be together, everybody would be back home where they belonged"
If you isolate every word in this sentence, and then ask an english speaker what they mean isolated like that, yeah of course they mean nothing and aren't inherently romantic. There's no "love" mentioned, but if we add context and treat the sentence as a whole and not a bunch of parts then the meaning is very obvious and clear.

And that's why this annoys me so much!

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
I finished reading it today, lol.

To be fair, the manga started with an environmental message, had some of it in the middle, and at the end while being a pretty basic battle manga with some horror and gore. Maybe the battles were better animated, I don't know.

But I thought the similarities with FF7 were interesting, especially since Parasyte is apparently pretty popular and it was published before FF7.
Yeah, I also ever mentioned two mangas released before 1997 that is similar a bit with FF7.
One is X by CLAMP, though it'd be extremely similar only if FF7's character chart was still the same as the early stage (Cetra named Tifa who is also the hero's childhood friends and the villain's sibling). One is a soccer manga titled SHOOT! by Tsukasa Oshima, I write a long article about it on my blog

Funny that I forget about Parasyte, but I blame the live action movies since Kana's character doesn't exist there and the essence of the story still work, different from Aerith's role.

ViolaaFox

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Viola A. Fox
I wouldn't bother, Sacky. I took that person up on that exact thing a couple of days ago.

Basically, they're just omitting any and all context in favour of construing a quote that says a man and woman belong together in a platonic way. There is absolutely NOTHING platonic about this quote.

That's something else that annoys me about the LTD, people love to ask Japanese people what a quote "means" (the wording and what it implies), but they're:

What really annoys me is 2, because you can do the exact same thing in English. Let's take this quote for example:

If you isolate every word in this sentence, and then ask an english speaker what they mean isolated like that, yeah of course they mean nothing and aren't inherently romantic. There's no "love" mentioned, but if we add context and treat the sentence as a whole and not a bunch of parts then the meaning is very obvious and clear.

Then there are also the people who go and take an action like holding hands and then search like all the different cultures where it might have a romantic meaning. And even if they have found a culture where it can possibly be interpreted in this way, it is often still very much out of context, because most of them are still 0 concerned with the general culture.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Then there are also the people who go and take an action like holding hands and then search like all the different cultures where it might have a romantic meaning. And even if they have found a culture where it can possibly be interpreted in this way, it is often still very much out of context, because most of them are still 0 concerned with the general culture.

It's still stupid

The Japanese don't make babies telepathically. They make love. They kiss. To claim that holding hands is more powerful than a kiss is pure copium and a very strong case of escaping reality.

You may find it cuter. 100%. But more meaningful? Not in this galaxy, baby.

ViolaaFox

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Viola A. Fox
It's still stupid

The Japanese don't make babies telepathically. They make love. They kiss. To claim that holding hands is more powerful than a kiss is pure copium and a very strong case of escaping reality.

You may find it cuter. 100%. But more meaningful? Not in this galaxy, baby.
Yeah and as far as I remember it's pretty much the same people who were so sure that their ship gets a kiss. But since it didn't happen they either say Cloud kissing Tifa was just cope or that holding hands is more powerful than a kiss.

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
Japanese dont kiss or show intimate affection in public, I think, 'cause it's similar to my culture.
It's different in the media, but they still don't present the characters doing intimate affection in the public place, except shoujo maybe? For dramatic effect?
I'm sure Zack even dont want to do that, he'd be embarrassed.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy

Yeah I said and we know the context confirmed feelings and lived together as a family wait for part 3. They couldn't really respond to that XD
The orphanage person though please

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Japanese dont kiss or show intimate affection in public, I think, 'cause it's similar to my culture.
It's different in the media, but they still don't present the characters doing intimate affection in the public place, except shoujo maybe? For dramatic effect?
I'm sure Zack even dont want to do that, he'd be embarrassed.

Yes, it's true. And that's the point. They're not in public.

When it comes to GS's date or Gongaga's bedroom, they're on their own. That's Tifa's whole point. This is the first time in their lives that they've been so close and so alone. That's why, like Gongaga, she's afraid to take the lead or get the wrong ideas. To which Cloud replies that no, it's mutual. And the rest is history.

All this to say that romantic kisses exist in Asian culture. And that's precisely the point. It's something special because it's reserved exclusively for lovers. So in trying to act in bad faith, they're only fooling themselves even more.

Because yes, this kiss is a big deal.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
Yeah I said and we know the context confirmed feelings and lived together as a family wait for part 3. They couldn't really respond to that XD
The orphanage person though please
It's funny, I said not to bother and yet I did anyway.

But yeah, I stopped getting responses from them a while ago as well.

Last edited:

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
It's funny, I said not to bother and yet I did anyway.

But yeah, I stopped getting responses from them a while ago as well.
they have continued and i have never heard this one before
Tifa imagining the smile that he gave her in case of Tifa means 100 percent the smile wasn't real XD
Want to see the greatest media literacy take about AC i have ever seen in my life?
1717418172193.png

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
Yeah, I also ever mentioned two mangas released before 1997 that is similar a bit with FF7.
One is X by CLAMP, though it'd be extremely similar only if FF7's character chart was still the same as the early stage (Cetra named Tifa who is also the hero's childhood friends and the villain's sibling). One is a soccer manga titled SHOOT! by Tsukasa Oshima, I write a long article about it on my blog

Funny that I forget about Parasyte, but I blame the live action movies since Kana's character doesn't exist there and the essence of the story still work, different from Aerith's role.
Yeah, I think Kana's character was in Parasyte just to generate angst. But the similarities with FF7 were still interesting.

Yeah and as far as I remember it's pretty much the same people who were so sure that their ship gets a kiss. But since it didn't happen they either say Cloud kissing Tifa was just cope or that holding hands is more powerful than a kiss.
It's also notable that after the kiss CT can barely look at each other after they get off the gondola (which has gotten people to joke and speculate that they were kissing for the entire ride, lmao). They are so shy and still so bold, lol. Whereas after the hand-holding with Aerith, Cloud's all "You're welcome... but I didn't do anything". Like, well, it sounds kind of bad if you ship them but he was just so unbothered about it? Like, he didn't think anything of it?

As I said, I've seen and read my fair share of harems. And yeah, most of the girls in them get sexual/romantic framings but the MC's attitude towards each is still really obvious and different. So it's like, yeah, it's a nice moment, enjoy it for what it is type of thing?

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
It's something special because it's reserved exclusively for lovers.

Because yes, this kiss is a big deal.
Ok its IMPOSSIBLE for me to not say “no, it’s actually reserved for prostitutes.”

But on a serious note. The main reason why I can’t take the LTD serious is because of the kiss. When I saw how strongly one side was so sure Aerith and Cloud would kiss, and it would show the canon couple…only for that not to happen. But as soon as it’s Tifa, now suddenly a kiss isn’t romantic, Aerith’s date is canon, and it still doesn’t matter when the devs explain no date is above another or prioritized over another.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
At the least they all write their playbooks via the same outline. Isolate members from dissenting viewpoints, etc, etc.
Love bomb people to draw them further in, tell them to sever from friends and family who do not support the cult 100%, anyone who leaves or doubts the cult never believed and is in fact worse than a non believer, etc. etc. etc.
This also applies to online movements like conspiracy theories. If you see any group using this sort of methodology, you have found a cult of some sort and do your best to extricate yourself.

That did finally happen last night. Git a solid eight hours and everything, in case anyone was worried. Which is great, I didn't make it to literal fucking hallucinations this time.
Good. I'm going to insist you get more of those.

There is none, as the journey is clearly open to interpretation :monster: But really its a road trip to Aerith.
For those paying attention, this joke is an excellent parody of an introduction to the motte and bailey strategy, which while not a fallacy in and of itself is disingenuous argumentation.
Much like a motte and bailey fortification, you have your larger, desirable land or the argument the person actually believes but which isn't actually defensible, and then you have the much smaller, more robust structure or argument to fall back on when pressed.

Agreed. It'll be a lovely little yin/yang thing.
Taosist philosophy was about Australia and New Zealand all along.

You're right, just Junior is a tad too white trash feeling. Eustace Jr. has a nice ring to it though.
No one is sure if it's a cute name or if she thinks it's actually her son.

Can't convince Matt shut is his own damn fault without a fight, can't convince Peter anything isn't his fault period.
There was a great spider-man / wolverine crossover one shot that was making fun of this. He was convinced people in his life turned evil and he had to be the source of it somehow, and also that a random jobber villain who existed for that one fight sounded a lot like his dentist for some reason.

RYV was so good every time a villain learned Peter wasn't gonna hold back and play friendly neighbor anymore. Just the look on everyone's face as he tears off Ock's arms is chef's kiss and a half.
For as much as the recent arc has been piling BS on pete, the sequence where he stops playing around and just casually incaps Captain America and others because he was in a fucking hurry to save MJ was well done.

Now if only editorial would stop using it to hand wave dumb shit.
That will never happen.

Legna and Michael/Mikhail are great, but Angelus is the OG of Drakengard.
I always gave that honor to the golem that did the splat, but Angelus is definitely up there.

No doubt. A full course covering all pertinent and examples would run away in terms of page count.
There are so many fallacies and so many examples.

Let us be untied, not just by our many typos but also our plea for this nonsense to just stop already.
In a way the nonsense is an indicator of their desperation. They're backed into a corner.

It takes a special kind of commitment to hang onto and reiterate a point while seeing it debunked before your very eyes. CAltists have that kind of commitment.
Like Cloud, they just see and hear static at the parts that would disrupt the worldview.

It definitely deserves its own section of such an essay at least. I mean, it's an AU or party game, we could do whatever and not affect canon at all... still swerving hard into Tifa.
Yeah, none of them have any bearing on the narrative of FF7, but even then S-E wants to make sure these two are thought of as a unit, always.

Yeah but people will still turn an blind eye on it until SE themselves make a offical statement. And even then some will say that evil Cloti's forced them to deny Maiden being canon.
Maiden doesn't help the CA cause at all, really. S-E just never considered it worth mentioning in the first place.

i accidentally got into a twitter war, by explaining, "have we lost to our memories"
and it spiralled into every clerith take possible from every major clerith now its on to important woman vs koibito
these arguments from 2007 popping up now is mad XD
x.com if you want to read this long thread of pain here you go XD
Tifa is referred to as both important woman and as a koibito, so what's the hangup? Other than Aerith... not?

How many damn bedrooms does that bar have cause more than Marlene and Denzel are sharing a room.
We only see the kid's bedroom. Cloud's office has a cot but is always referred to as just his office. Logically there has to be one more.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Love bomb people to draw them further in, tell them to sever from friends and family who do not support the cult 100%, anyone who leaves or doubts the cult never believed and is in fact worse than a non believer, etc. etc. etc.
This also applies to online movements like conspiracy theories. If you see any group using this sort of methodology, you have found a cult of some sort and do your best to extricate yourself.

Good. I'm going to insist you get more of those.

For those paying attention, this joke is an excellent parody of an introduction to the motte and bailey strategy, which while not a fallacy in and of itself is disingenuous argumentation.
Much like a motte and bailey fortification, you have your larger, desirable land or the argument the person actually believes but which isn't actually defensible, and then you have the much smaller, more robust structure or argument to fall back on when pressed.

Taosist philosophy was about Australia and New Zealand all along.

No one is sure if it's a cute name or if she thinks it's actually her son.

There was a great spider-man / wolverine crossover one shot that was making fun of this. He was convinced people in his life turned evil and he had to be the source of it somehow, and also that a random jobber villain who existed for that one fight sounded a lot like his dentist for some reason.

For as much as the recent arc has been piling BS on pete, the sequence where he stops playing around and just casually incaps Captain America and others because he was in a fucking hurry to save MJ was well done.

That will never happen.

I always gave that honor to the golem that did the splat, but Angelus is definitely up there.

There are so many fallacies and so many examples.

In a way the nonsense is an indicator of their desperation. They're backed into a corner.

Like Cloud, they just see and hear static at the parts that would disrupt the worldview.

Yeah, none of them have any bearing on the narrative of FF7, but even then S-E wants to make sure these two are thought of as a unit, always.

Maiden doesn't help the CA cause at all, really. S-E just never considered it worth mentioning in the first place.

Tifa is referred to as both important woman and as a koibito, so what's the hangup? Other than Aerith... not?

We only see the kid's bedroom. Cloud's office has a cot but is always referred to as just his office. Logically there has to be one more.
they brought in many japanese expert to explain important woman and how while it can be romantic it can also not be removing the context of the whole game. Same with Cloud and Tifa would be together.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
they brought in many japanese expert to explain important woman and how while it can be romantic it can also not be removing the context of the whole game. Same with Cloud and Tifa would be together.
I'd say the assumption is romantic unless otherwise specified or it's your mother. It's also still never been used to describe Aerith.

"but CoLW!"
Describes Aerith's feelings about Cloud.

anyone wana check the japanese on this XD
The Japanese is basically "Inside, first of all, Cloud and Tifa, that's the first step, I thought." Again, the man's very first thought was Cloud and Tifa. That's the important part here. "Together" is something of a smokescreen. The next sentence is basically as translated "Everyone would return home, treturn to where they belonged"
The important idea here is that Nojima's immediate first though, that everyone would flow from, was Cloud AND Tifa.

BTW, the kanji used in the sentence that is "first step" is 緒 - Jisho.org
For some reason it's the third one on this page but the translation is beginning or inception

Oh, and for the record, the DoC guide they are referencing says Tifa runs an orphanage. She does not and has never run an orphanage. Especially not a rival one to Cloud.
Oh those were the days.

Last edited:

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
I am so glad I knew nothing about the LTD through playing Remake and Rebirth. I could just quietly enjoy it and not have to deal with ultimania translations, lingustics, kanji, the difference between a kiss and handhold, etc.

Lol, I don’t know how people part of the LTD have stayed sane! I feel like I lose it and I’m so late to the game.

Top Bottom