SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
I am so glad I knew nothing about the LTD through playing Remake and Rebirth. I could just quietly enjoy it and not have to deal with ultimania translations, lingustics, kanji, the difference between a kiss and handhold, etc.

Lol, I don’t know how people part of the LTD have stayed sane! I feel like I lose it and I’m so late to the game.
I think I'm starting to lose it aswell and I've only been here for about 4 months now, at this point it's getting harder to be nice to certain people over it.

Admittedly, I get rude with people on twitter over it, especially today. Shady's thread poked the hive and Cleriths are very mad over it, and seeing them harassed over it annoyed me, on top of the fact that I already had the displeasure of going back and forth with two at the same time before that.

Generally speaking I try my best to distance myself from Cleriths, sometimes I'll begin typing before taking a deep breath and ignoring it, because I realise I have little patience when it comes to them and it's only going to muddy my day/mood. Probably the only reason I still have a semblance of sanity.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
The official translation speaks of Cloud's feelings. The more accurate one doesn't.

But which one do they refer to?
What's the exact phrasing used in the published version, out of curiosity.

I am so glad I knew nothing about the LTD through playing Remake and Rebirth. I could just quietly enjoy it and not have to deal with ultimania translations, lingustics, kanji, the difference between a kiss and handhold, etc.

Lol, I don’t know how people part of the LTD have stayed sane! I feel like I lose it and I’m so late to the game.
Eventually you go mad, and then you pass through the other side to ultra-sanity.

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
I think I'm starting to lose it aswell and I've only been here for about 4 months now, at this point it's getting harder to be nice to certain people over it.

Admittedly, I get rude with people on twitter over it, especially today. Shady's thread poked the hive and Cleriths are very mad over it, and seeing them harassed over it annoyed me, on top of the fact that I already had the displeasure of going back and forth with two at the same time before that.

Generally speaking I try my best to distance myself from Cleriths, sometimes I'll begin typing before taking a deep breath and ignoring it, because I realise I have little patience when it comes to them and it's only going to muddy my day/mood. Probably the only reason I still have a semblance of sanity.
You battle and battle and battle until finally, you realize: I have no enemies

And then you watch Cloud kiss Tifa again.

I’m staying far away from Twitter because I know it can get wild on there. I’m finding myself less interested in theory/analysis vids because unlike Remake, LT talk is hard to eat around and I feel people pulling punches and rewriting original sequences to avoid the mob showing up in their comments.

It’s just less fun this time around, and that’s gonna make the wait for part 3 feel longer lol

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
I’m staying far away from Twitter because I know it can get wild on there. I’m finding myself less interested in theory/analysis vids because unlike Remake, LT talk is hard to eat around and I feel people pulling punches and rewriting original sequences to avoid the mob showing up in their comments.
Queue people "theorising" that the Lifestream Sequence will be a group effort this time around. That it will include the other members of AVALANCHE.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Queue people "theorising" that the Lifestream Sequence will be a group effort this time around. That it will include the other members of AVALANCHE.

1717430388392.png

In fact, it starts with a feeling of protecting the story. You just don't want their nonsense to pollute the internet and uninformed people to fall for it without contradiction.

But like any conspiracy movement, it takes much longer to dismantle nonsense with arguments than to post even more crap to debunk.

Honestly, I'm a bit glad to see some new blood taking over. I really don't have the strength anymore.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer

Sure, the guy who's created a whole personality out of fear of showing his true nature to people is going to agree to let the whole gang into his most buried and shameful subsconscious secrets. Secrets he didn't even dare show his own mother.

I can't wait to see Rufus Shinra help Cloud understand the meaning of his feelings.

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
It’s annoying because it’s not JUST Cloud’s moment, it’s Tifa’s too. They’ve protected other character’s moments so far ( Aerith’s Death is debatable I guess, but it still hasn’t totally panned out so the jury’s out imo ) so why would they muddy up an important one for the main character and the other heroine of the story? To shove Aerith everywhere?

I dunno, just bugs me how the LS sequence is everyone’s dumping ground for nonsense for some odd reason.

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
From what I've seen I think it's "Cloud was Aerith's friend, her lover"
You know, it's so silly to cling to that translation of "lover" anyway because you can directly see in front of your eyeballs what happens in FF7 OG or Remake and at no point do CA confess their mutual feelings for each other and become lovers, lol. (General you, just in case.)

I dunno, just bugs me how the LS sequence is everyone’s dumping ground for nonsense for some odd reason.
And it seems to be suggested by the "both girls" crowd, lol. "In real life people can have feelings for multiple people" and I'm like, dude, the kid can slice through buildings with a giant meat cleaver. He has ancient alien cells in him either faciliating or giving him a psychotic breakdown. He has an obsessed half-man ghost stalking him mentally. Why is him maybe being singularly in love with a girl he's been in love with since his early teens the implied unrealistic part of that sequence?

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
From what I've seen I think it's "Cloud was Aerith's friend, her lover"

... by blocking everyone. It works!

That's the old version, in the revised version it's "Cloud was her beloved".
Wait, so they released a second version of the OTWAS book in English just to fix that? If so, damn. They really don't want people getting the wrong idea.

Anyways, in terms of the narrative, Cloud and Aerith were never lovers- he was ignorant of her feelings the entire time. Even in Rebirth he's clueless about her liking him until ch14. Beloved makes sense here, though I still personally think you need to take that sentence as a whole- that Cloud is a symbol of those things, that he represents all Aerith's friends and her beloved, natch.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Wait, so they released a second version of the OTWAS book in English just to fix that? If so, damn. They really don't want people getting the wrong idea.
I thought you knew lol but no it's the revised version of the OTWAS as a whole, where more was added to the stories in JP. I think that happened around 2009 or maybe a bit later?

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
I thought you knew lol but no it's the revised version of the OTWAS as a whole, where more was added to the stories in JP. I think that happened around 2009 or maybe a bit later?
I'm familiar with the full collected version that added the additional chapters, I have just always been exposed to the unofficial translations and never read the physical english release of it.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
I think anyone who theorizes a big change to the LS sequence doesn’t understand the story. Aside from the romance, Sephiroth plants that Cloud is a puppet, he’s not real. There’s only one person left who can assure Cloud he is real.

Like, sure, ignore the romance if you dislike the idea of Tifa and Cloud, but it’s just the way it is. There is only one person who has these formative, special memories with Cloud to help him find himself.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I'm plenty sure people will not be able to dismiss the CT romance in the Lifestream this time around. Because too many missed it in the OG, they're going all for it. The Tifa Gongaga scene absolutely convinced me of this; and some of her dialogues in the main quest + sidequests are very important too, as it show Cloud and Tifa actually talking about their past. The way it is incredibly important but most people miss this big, in your face hint is really something lol. I think their chats look too intimate so many think it's just flirting but no, there's much more to it as Tifa is the heroine of the intimate plot and Rebirth showed exactly that.

In Rebirth they talked about memories. In p3 I'm awaiting the LS scene with dreams, hopes and feelings. And this is not a big scene, because Tifa is the heroine of the intimate plot, so this is very CT specific.

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
Oh, I had a random thought just now: recently I saw uncharitable takes on Aerith as she sits on the water tower and laments that she didn't have a childhood friend she could've shared memories with. I thought this was rather sad, considering the importance placed on memories in Retrilogy. But then I realised that Tifa is that to Cloud, that it's important, that it's their shared childhood, their shared memories that prove that he exists, he's the Cloud of Nibelheim. I mean, it's silly and obvious but I still wanted to share, lol.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
The LS is already a confession in the OG, honestly.

Telling a girl that you based your life goal on becoming special specifically to be noticed by her is not platonic, let's be honest.

Also, I swear there's a quote that straight up says it. I'm not talking about the "their love is brought into light" one since I know it's not entirely accurate, there's another one I think.

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
I have long tried to make people understand this, here even. Tifa is the sole proof to Cloud that he exists. I can't stress how much she is important to him, because it's when he looks at her that he can see a reflection of his true self.
It reminds me of what Yoshida Kenko wrote in Essays in Idleness. The gist of it was that people's memories of you are the proof that you existed.

And if I may add to your thoughts, which you worded beautifully, in a way when Aerith looks (or looked) at Cloud, she saw a reflection of Zack, the proof that Zack had existed.

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
It reminds me of what Yoshida Kenko wrote in Essays in Idleness. The gist of it was that people's memories of you are the proof that you existed.

And if I may add to your thoughts, which you worded beautifully, in a way when Aerith looks (or looked) at Cloud, she saw a reflection of Zack, the proof that Zack had existed.
Which is why it’s a deliberate choice that Zack's final words to Cloud have yet to be said. I’m thinking it’s the missing piece to that side of things, Cloud taking on his hopes, dreams, and being his living legacy.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Which is why it’s a deliberate choice that Zack's final words to Cloud have yet to be said. I’m thinking it’s the missing piece to that side of things, Cloud taking on his hopes, dreams, and being his living legacy.

The fact that the Lifestream is described literally with Zack's dying words... IT'S SO SUS !!!!

Top Bottom