SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, that's something else I've alyways thought about him going to the Church.

Like, I know it's narratively significant that he chooses there, but where else would he have gone?

If Cloud was a true romantic, he'd sleep in the alley off Loveless Street... He doesn't deserve Aerith 😎

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
Yeah, 'cause I'd be pissed about this too. Why are you making my friends murder about you? No offense to Cloud lol
And that’s one of Cloud’s biggest weaknesses: he takes sole ownership of things that, by all reasonable account, aren’t his fault at all or alone.

It’s a selfish mentality at the end of the day, but it’s a flaw he has to overcome. That’s why, out of every dead character who’s dead, I’d argue Zack would be the most beneficial to Cloud, because he’d absolutely knock him over the head to snap him out of it.

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
Getting back to my son... can we talk about the moment when we see him sleeping with nothing on because he used his own blanket to make Aerith a pillow? I can't...

View attachment 17035View attachment 17036

How can you hate him ?! 😭
Because he has the wrong head model, sry

For real though, I feel like they’re trying to scream at you that Zack is beyond committed to Aerith. Dude is a champion

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
Speaking of Zack, lol. After sneaking out of Aerith's house, you can talk to the housemother who, for some reason, is hanging around the Leaf House yard in the middle of the night. She says: "The kids are talking about you like they've found themselves a new hero."

So if Cloud is the "new hero", was Zack the old hero? To be honest, I wish they hadn't tried to keep Zack a secret so hard because I wanted Chapter 8 to be bold and obvious about him.

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
Speaking of Zack, lol. After sneaking out of Aerith's house, you can talk to the housemother who, for some reason, is hanging around the Leaf House yard in the middle of the night. She says: "The kids are talking about you like they've found themselves a new hero."

So if Cloud is the "new hero", was Zack the old hero? To be honest, I wish they hadn't tried to keep Zack a secret so hard because I wanted Chapter 8 to be bold and obvious about him.
I think they had to be careful doing it because the mere mention of Zack’s name gets quite the response from Cloud. I think they were hoping that upon replaying it ( either seeing that Zack somehow “lives” or after playing Crisis Core Reunion ) you’d pick up on more subtle hints.

They have to go under the impression that not everyone knows the plot of FF7. Those who know, will pick up on more the first time through, those who don’t will be pleasantly greeted by details that they didn’t notice before. Makes all feel more like a complete story

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
I think they had to be careful doing it because the mere mention of Zack’s name gets quite the response from Cloud. I think they were hoping that upon replaying it ( either seeing that Zack somehow “lives” or after playing Crisis Core Reunion ) you’d pick up on more subtle hints.

They have to go under the impression that not everyone knows the plot of FF7. Those who know, will pick up on more the first time through, those who don’t will be pleasantly greeted by details that they didn’t notice before. Makes all feel more like a complete story
That's a good point. But it still feels a bit odd that no one even peripherally mentions him. Even something like "that other SOLDIER" would've been enough for me, lol. But I guess it's possible that the present kids weren't at the orphanage or were too young to remember Zack coming around? As for Ms Folia, it's implied that she started around the time Biggs left for Avalanche? So she might not have seen Zack either.

Poor Zack. He has it tough.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
In Rebirth I liked the symbolism of ZA like when they were metaphysically touching with their hands, things like that, Aerith looking at the sky when there was Zack interlude, etc, Aerith's magic protecting Zack during the fight with Sephiroth, all the stuff with the ribbon, I just need a bit more, like a proper reunion, maybe some hand holding, etc. Basically since everything is supposed to link up to Advent Children showing how ZA came to be reunited would be cool I think.
I do agree with you in a way; personally I feel that what they did for ZA was nice in Rebirth (and even Remake) but the shadow of Cloud has always been looming over them because we've never seen them reunite.

And I firmly believe we will see them reunite in the church, and maybeeeeeeeeee even kiss. That Cloud shadow will be dispelled because the target for ZA is "her first love Zack is always by her side".
Weighing in on this, The same Ultimania segment that describes Tifa's complicated feelings also makes sure to note that cherishing Aerith is how Tifa really feels.
Along this line it can also be understood that Tifa is upset because Cloud is associating the memory of her good friend, of someone she cherished, with failure and guilt and doubt. She hates that her friend's memory is causing her man this pain, especially knowing it's not Aerith's fault.

Don't worry GLD, the chain shall continue later.
Wait for it I think there's a Nomura quote telling it plainly that she feels guilty towards Aerith because she believes they could've saved her. So she shares the same guilt towards Aerith than Cloud - which is why she can understand him still so well in CoT when he feels depressed after going to Aerith's burial place - but she had her depression "earlier" than Cloud - still the guilt remains.

Edit: found the quote, it's from Nojima (translation by Peko):
Dengeki PS2 magazine vol 326_02_Peko.jpg
There are a lot of NPCs actually commenting on Cloud and making comparisons in sector 8. And the theme song is playing in instrumental version because they both (Cloud and Aerith) miss Zack, and it's the reason why they're connecting so well - a kind of loneliness only they can understand.

Last edited:

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
Because he has the wrong head model, sry

For real though, I feel like they’re trying to scream at you that Zack is beyond committed to Aerith. Dude is a champion
Its even apparent in Zack's interactions and body language towards Aerith. When he talks to her or touches her, he is very gentle and tender. (There is more nuance in the JP VA I find). It really shows how deeply in love he is with her.

Last edited:

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Its even apparent in Zack's interactions and body language towards Aerith. When he talks to her or touches her, he is very gentle and tender. (There is more nuance in the JP VA I find). It really shows how deeply in love he is with her.

Elmyra yells at him for not bothering to clean her face, but I think he doesn't dare touch her out of respect. Gentleman Zack.

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
Elmyra yells at him for not even bothering to clean her face, but I think he actually dares not touch her out of respect. Gentleman Zack.
I found that line funny because her face looked relatively clean compared to how it was when Zack first found her.

In JP, Elmyra says something along the lines of "Look at Aerith's skin, its dry and there is dirt" (paraphrase) So maybe he missed a spot or it wasn't to Elmyra's standards. Lol

Rin

Pro Adventurer

They dialed their original intentions back a TON because initially the chapter was going to be called Crisis Core and be full of Zack references.
This is why I laugh about ppl saying 'Hollow' isn't about Zack bc it's one of the references to him that was left in the chapter, as well as the kids carrying around buster swords, and Elmyra regarding him w/ suspicion.

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
They dialed their original intentions back a TON because initially the chapter was going to be called Crisis Core and be full of Zack references.
This is why I laugh about ppl saying 'Hollow' isn't about Zack bc it's one of the references to him that was left in the chapter, as well as the kids carrying around buster swords, and Elmyra regarding him w/ suspicion.
Always took Hollow as basically how Cloud deals with major loss, hence why it’s not a happy song. If you consider it from the pov of Cloud as he stumbles into Midgar, then he’s lost his hometown, his mom, Tifa, and just recently Zack. Take from a broader pov and you can put Aerith on the list too, but it’s not just about her either way from the way I see it.

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer

I believe there was quest that was supposed to be called "Crisis Core" where you build a wagon or deliver flowers in a wagon.

A rendition of Hollow also plays in one of areas close to where Zack died in Rebirth.

I think some people don't realize the significance of Zack. He not only plays a key role in both Cloud and Aerith's character arcs, but he is also a connecting piece in Cloud and Aerith's relationship.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I mean, they're married irl. That's just serendipity.

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
Speaking of Zack references --

There is a NPC couple in Zack's world that talks about not being able to go on enough dates because the guy was always away for work. But now that they can, the girl wants to go to as many places with the guy so that they can make new memories together.

I am not sure if this is a coincidence or not but its interesting how it kinda parallels Zack and Aerith in CC. As Zack was usually away because of work and Aerith wanted to spend more time with him.

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
Speaking of Zack references --

There is a NPC couple in Zack's world that talks about not being able to go on enough dates because the guy was always away for work. But now that they can, the girl wants to go to as many places with the guy so that they can make new memories together.

I am not sure if this is a coincidence or not but it’s interesting how it kinda parallels Zack and Aerith in CC. As Zack was usually away because of work and Aerith wanted to spend more time with him.
I’m gonna need to take a week vacation just to play Remake, Rebirth, and then part 3 because I swear nuggets like this are the types of things people find that tickles me to no end.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Getting back to my son... can we talk about the moment when we see him sleeping with nothing on because he used his own blanket to make Aerith a pillow? I can't...

ah the famous womanizer, in all his glory, was also a war criminal. Yep thats Zack, thats what the devs clearly want us to think XD
Aerith is just any other girl to him absolutely

Rin

Pro Adventurer
I believe there was quest that was supposed to be called "Crisis Core" where you build a wagon or deliver flowers in a wagon.

A rendition of Hollow also plays in one of areas close to where Zack died in Rebirth.

I think some people don't realize the significance of Zack. He not only plays a key role in both Cloud and Aerith's character arcs, but he is also a connecting piece in Cloud and Aerith's relationship.
Ah yes, you're right. It was a quest, not the chapter! Ty

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
I’m gonna need to take a week vacation just to play Remake, Rebirth, and then part 3 because I swear nuggets like this are the types of things people find that tickles me to no end.
I’ll definitely be replaying both right before Part 3 releases. There is so much I couldn’t appreciate in Remake because I knew nothing about FF7. 😭

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
There are a lot of NPCs actually commenting on Cloud and making comparisons in sector 8. And the theme song is playing in instrumental version because they both (Cloud and Aerith) miss Zack, and it's the reason why they're connecting so well - a kind of loneliness only they can understand.
Considering that Aerith and Cloud are both mimicking Zack's mannerisms and gestures, I wonder if they feel a sort of wistful nostalgia around each other? Cloud more subconsciously than Aerith, I would guess.

Lol, I've seen extreme CAs who were absolutely adamant that the kids were carrying buster swords because of Cloud, not Zack. Granted, they hadn't even played Remake and they have a vested interest in not playing Remake. But considering that it doesn't make sense for them to make those homemade swords for patrol before Cloud's even made it back to the Leaf House from saving the other kids, I can just imagine Zack visiting the Leaf House with Aerith and sitting around crafting them for the kids. I just really wanted to see it too. 😭 (Is greedy, lol.)

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
Considering that Aerith and Cloud are both mimicking Zack's mannerisms and gestures, I wonder if they feel a sort of wistful nostalgia around each other? Cloud more subconsciously than Aerith, I would guess.

Lol, I've seen extreme CAs who were absolutely adamant that the kids were carrying buster swords because of Cloud, not Zack. Granted, they hadn't even played Remake and they have a vested interest in not playing Remake. But considering that it doesn't make sense for them to make those homemade swords for patrol before Cloud's even made it back to the Leaf House from saving the other kids, I can just imagine Zack visiting the Leaf House with Aerith and sitting around crafting them for the kids. I just really wanted to see it too. 😭 (Is greedy, lol.)
Zack is the hero the setting needs, Cloud is the hero the setting deserves

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
Oh I see, she's not jealous of Aerith specifically, but the circumstances around Aerith, i.e. Cloud deciding to run away and confide in her church instead of talking to Tifa and working things out with her.

Makes complete sense. Sorry it's early here, so I jumped the gun a little bit forgive me 😂

I wish they didn't say it so cryptically though? Sometimes it feels like I need a PhD to fully comprehend what the devs are trying to insinuate lol.
There's a quote out there that says "Tifa has complex feelings towards Aerith as a woman", and people say that she's jealous because Cloud hides in Aerith's church instead of talking to her.
Isn't there also some quote from Case of Tifa or an interview or something about Tifa suspecting that something else was going on with Cloud? Arguably implying that Tifa was insecure a reason for Clouds depression during AC might be romantic feelings?
(not talking about the sewer scene in remake)

I didn't realize that that is adorable 😭

Top Bottom