• Dead

Votes: 12 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxetta

Pro Adventurer
tl;dr warning. From like 50 pages ago, postwhores :monster:

A bigger question would be what is it doing in Banora's underground in the first place, if all the WEAPONs including Emerald shoot from the Northern Crater in FF7 after Cloud flips his shit and gives up the Black Materia? Of course, it's possible that maybe the Planet moves them from time to time to keep them from being discovered, or moves them to where they might be needed in the future as a precaution. It could have been absent at the time Shinra was mining in Banora.

As Mako said, I don't think it was supposed to be Emerald. It sure looks like him, but the Ultimania Omega said that the planet placed all the WEAPONs into hibernation in the Northern Crater after JENOVA was taken care of by the Ancients.

I officially change my stance to say that it wasn't a WEAPON at all. It was just some weird looking rocks that look like a WEAPON and Nomura is giggling at fans flipping out over it.

Hojo calls him a failure though, even during the Northern Crater/Black Materia event when he asks to see Cloud's number tattoo. Perhaps it was referring Cloud being a precieved failure? It wasn't until FF7 that Cloud proved to be a successful clone.

Maybe, but during CC, he would have appeared successful anyway. As for Hojo, though he later says that Cloud was actually the only success, he's wrong about that too, since the black cloaked people had gotten to the Northern Crater and been killed without Hojo's knowledge.

Yea, but Cloud didn't appear a success. :monster: Remember in Crisis Core wandering around the mansion after getting out of the tanks and finding notes lying around the place? They state that Cloud and Zack were both considered failures in the copy project. Yea, Hojo was wrong, but for the book to say the same as a game it's about isn't really all that inconsistent.

This feels like a strike against the UO because -- how did Gast discover Jenova wasn't an Ancient if he hadn't met Ifalna, and what reason would Hojo have to seek them out if he didn't know Gast had left with a real Ancient?

Well, even the original game had it that Gast went wandering through Cosmo Canyon, distraught over discovering that JENOVA was not an Ancient. And if he isn't supposed to have met Ifalna until he got to Icicle Inn, he must have figured it out himself somehow.

But, yeah, as far as canon is concerned, I guess one would have to draw the conclusion that the UO has been overwritten on this count.

As for Hojo, I think he would have sought Gast either way. Shin-Ra keeps close tabs on those who retire, after all.

Though the issue itself can still be explained away as Gast and Ifalna splitting up after leaving Shinra and planning to rendevous at Icicle Inn at a later date.

Nah, it specifically called her a local at Icicle Inn and said that Gast met her there while he was conducting new, independent research.

I guess it's possible that Hojo would have, but the whole thing feels like a mess. I don't know what I was thinking trying to defend it :monster: Just trying to rationalize I guess.

I can't find the original FF7 scene of this right now, so I'm going on memory. The scratched messages in the tubes to eachother would indicate that Cloud had still been conscious at the time the feeding time escape was planned, which is not the case when they actually do manage escape. The feeding time may have been a failed attempt from before -- but again, I can't remember fully what the original FF7 scene entailed, so I'm not sure.

The original scene depicted the lab assistant coming to feed them and then getting knocked out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxI1S3sg9es

He even says "Hey! This is your food."

Okay, now I see. That's definately different. Not that different though, the only thing that couldn't be argued about is whether or not the lab assistant opened the tank vs Zack breaking it. A matter of New-overwrites-Old or a matter of flashback-POV.

Where the hell would Zack get a SOLDIER uniform after leaving Nibelheim?

Maybe he found it in the mansion and then took it with them? XD

In any case, Cloud was still in his grunt uniform when they passed the gate at Nibelheim in the original game, but was then in the SOLDIER uniform in the next shot.

Not a major detail, but an inconsistency nonetheless -- and one easily avoided if anyone cared to. I know I'm more anal about these things than all of the rest of you, but to me there's no excuse for the developers of a story not to be able to keep details straight that fans easily can.

You know, now that I think about it, that whole leaving the mansion sequence rubs me the wrong way. Two lab specimens break out of a basement lab, and run through the town, only to be attacked by soldiers at the town gate who are there to capture them for escaping. One of the specimens is unconscious and the other is woozy, so they go back to the mansion they just escaped from and just sort of... camp out for the night. And nobody in the army think to go and, I dunno, look around in there maybe? But then the next day the town is crawling with soldiers and then outside of town there's a Turk looking for them?

I mean... what?

Where does it say that? All that's shown in the CC ending is Zack depositing Cloud by some rocks, and then next we see him he's crawling in the mud to Zack.

It isn't said anywhere, but the point of hiding Cloud behind rocks (Zack specifically requests that the driver stop somewhere behind a rock formation in ACC) is presumably there for that reason. The original game didn't have Zack hide Cloud.

Another matter of New-overwrites-Old or flashback-POV, then I'd think. Now that Square developed Zack's character more, guess they just wanted to alter some things to make them fit him more. With what we know about Zack now it's more in-character for him to want to make sure Cloud's hidden.

Reno: *yells across the sector* YO TSENG! I FOUND THAT GUY WE EVADED ORDERS TO TRY TO SAVE! WANT ME TO INVITE HIM FOR PIZZA?

XD

Still, you'd expect some kind of reaction out of them when they see him again.

I wouldn't, from my perception of Turks. They might have talked about it amongst themselves, and probably did, but I'd think when facing Cloud & Co they just kept their business masks on.

They might have also picked up on Cloud being a little nutso. The guy's running around claiming to be a former SOLDIER First Class, which they'd know to be untrue. And Cloud would have denied it anyway. :monster:

This one is dumb as hell, I entirely agree.

Victory is mine!

:awesome:

*bows at your feet*

[quoteAlso artistic license. Although, Turk!Vincent from DC is wearing a suit that looks kind of a blue-gray instead of black.

True enough. What the hell's up with that?[/quote]

Well it was 30 years earlier :monster: Maybe the uniform standards changed since back then.

Theory: Shortly before the beginning of the original game, Reno accidentaly set fire to the Turk laundry truck. They all had to wear blue suits until new black suits could be ordered, tailored, and sent, which didn't happen until near the end of the game when they had too much bullshit to take care of to worry about it. :awesome:

BC sucks. Full stop.

Yeah, I shouldn't even bother counting its individually wrapped failings. :monster:

Why do you punish yourself so? It pains me to see it. :'(

If Sephiroth's will were so weak during that time, then why didn't Aerith, who is a Cetra, in the area, and able to control the pure lifestream, have to wait until Sephiroth was completely killed to rain down the cure for Geostigma, or dissipate the Negative Lifestream? I don't get how Zack would be able to cut through the Negative Lifestream while IN it, while Aerith who's not being trapped in it, wouldn't be able to punch through. That doesn't fit.

It depends on how much 'room' the act would need to slip past Sephiroth's current control. Zack manifesting for a moment of quick communication with Cloud is a lot easier and quicker to pull off compared to Aerith releasing her Rain or dissapating the entire Negative Lifestream. It's like, say, Sephiroth left the front door to a house cracked a few inches. Now, a kitten could manage to get through, but a Great Dane would still not have enough of an avenue to do so.

He ceased being aligned with Jenova when he shed his mortal coil. His body and cellular matter are gone.

Did you watch the ending of AC/C? Or Crisis Core? Physical bodies are shown dissolving into Lifestream and leaving nothing behind. Kadaj, Loz, Yazoo, Lazard, numerous Genesis Copies and an Angeal Copy did. It's implied that Zack did so as well, because at the end of CC there is a shot of the cliff he died on and there isn't any body. Where did his body and cellular matter go, if not the Lifestream? A pack of Kalm Fangs certainly didn't come along and scavange it, bones and all.

People who die with Geostigma create a Negative Lifestream because of Sephiroth's will corrupting them. That's what's different. He brands the spirits with his stigma and they become his. It's not just about the cells. There's a spiritual mechanism behind it as well.

Yea, okay, but he has to have something that makes him able to have a sway on those people in the first place. Geostigma is a manifestation of the body's rejection of Jenova cells. Sephiroth 'branding them with his will' is just a fancy way of saying he told the Jenova cells to cause a ruckus instead of lying dormant and benign.

He can't because they didn't die with his spiritual will and power within their bodies too. If Sephiroth could control the souls of any person who died with Jenova cells in their body, then he wouldn't have needed the power of Meteor to assimilate the Lifestream.

Perhaps those that had died before he did simply wasn't a large enough number for him to be satisfied. Which makes perfect sense, since he didn't have enough Negative Lifestream at the end of AC/C to choke the Planet effectively either, even though it had been two years of a world-wide epidemic killing people and fueling him.

Until he actually diffused parts of his memory and consciousness into the lifestream, he couldn't just control the free-floating cells within the lifestream. He couldn't create Geostigma.

How couldn't he control the cells? He was able to control them on the living plane from already in the Lifestream well enough.

So its from Hojo's perspective? Fair enough. However, he more than likely just forgot about Cloud and automatically thought he was a failure cause he had no tattoo. By the time he examined him, he more than likely thought he was a success as well, since in FFVII, on his chart, he's labeled as a success with a positive reaction.

See above in my response to Tres. Hojo more than likely didn't think Cloud was a success until meeting him again at the Northern Crater.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Lox, with regards to Geostigma, if Zack had died while Sephiroth was exerting his influence, you might have a point, but he didn't even make the call until about four months after Zack bit the big one. Geostigma didn't even start until Sephiroth had to try for his plan B, so unless he can retroactively 'collect' everyone who ever had Jenova cells, he wouldn't have Zack.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
strifeheart: that is all.

No, a rabid clit is a fun thing. A clito is another matter entirely.

And hey, at least they didn't enforce thoughtcrime. For all their shitheadednedness, being positive towards Clerith wasn't a bannable offense.

And say anything you will about TLS but we let you have your different opinions without infractions or warnings. We might yell and scream at you sometimes, but you're still here to yell and scream back as it were.

Loxetta

Pro Adventurer
Lox, with regards to Geostigma, if Zack had died while Sephiroth was exerting his influence, you might have a point, but he didn't even make the call until about four months after Zack bit the big one. Geostigma didn't even start until Sephiroth had to try for his plan B, so unless he can retroactively 'collect' everyone who ever had Jenova cells, he wouldn't have Zack.

There's nothing to indicate that he would be unable to do so, though. In fact it's more likely than unlikely -- if he is able to keep Geostigma victims corralled (so to speak) after they die and enter the Lifestream, and them having Jenova cells is the reason he is able to, it leads right into the possibility that he could do the same with un-diffused spirits that died at a prior point in time.

Of course, I'm not arguing this as canon or something the creators are going to hop up and say is the case, just that it's a plausible reason to explain why Zack wasn't present in CoLW or anywhere in AC/C prior to Sephiroth-vs-Cloud. It just strikes me as so odd he wouldn't have shown up before if he wasn't diffused yet (which he clearly wasn't, since he was seen in the Church with Aerith at the end.)

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
And hey, at least they didn't enforce thoughtcrime. For all their shitheadednedness, being positive towards Clerith wasn't a bannable offense.
...you would think so, but I remember at least two members who got banned for making Clerith sigs. Though IDK if you were ever actually a member at that shithole or not.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
It was mostly boring except when Tana was on the rag, I s'pose. :monster:

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
There's nothing to indicate that he would be unable to do so, though. In fact it's more likely than unlikely -- if he is able to keep Geostigma victims corralled (so to speak) after they die and enter the Lifestream, and them having Jenova cells is the reason he is able to, it leads right into the possibility that he could do the same with un-diffused spirits that died at a prior point in time.

I don't think he can keep them corralled because they 'have' the cells post mortem, but becase they died in a time of extreme weakness when they were alive. It's certainly not impossible to retroactively suck up Angeal and all the other dead SOLDIER into his power, but we have nothing to really suggest he can.

Of course, I'm not arguing this as canon or something the creators are going to hop up and say is the case, just that it's a plausible reason to explain why Zack wasn't present in CoLW or anywhere in AC/C prior to Sephiroth-vs-Cloud. It just strikes me as so odd he wouldn't have shown up before if he wasn't diffused yet (which he clearly wasn't, since he was seen in the Church with Aerith at the end.)

It's possible, yes, but at the moment, it doesn't really seem to fit, since 'dying of Geostigma' seems to be a requirement to be sucked in.

...you would think so, but I remember at least two members who got banned for making Clerith sigs. Though IDK if you were ever actually a member at that shithole or not.

If they did, then I take that back.

They weren't too fond of Yaoi either... <=/ It was a very 'strict' site.

Most odd.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
:[ Strifeheart is a shitstain on the Cloti fandom and I think that we should best not discuss it.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Ah yes, Strifeheart, home of the clitos. When I fan ran across it I mentioned it in PM to a CxA member (can't recall who). She laughed and said "yeah, there's clotis, and then there's them".

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Ah, rabid Cloti stans. Gotcha.

Is it just me, or does the actual LT not actually interest anyone anymore? I'm more fascinated by how it affects relations within the fandom. If I were a sociology major, that would be part of my thesis :monster:

Isabella

Your Mom
Is it just me, or does the actual LT not actually interest anyone anymore? I'm more fascinated by how it affects relations within the fandom.
I know what you mean. I find it interesting the way people can continue to deny something obvious through sheer willpower. You could equate it to what you see with religion, politics, etc., I suppose. The desire to hold onto a belief can be pretty powerful.

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
I agree with Zee's statement wherever the fuck you put it about Cloud/Aerith being past lovers/desire to be lovers/whatever the fuck you wanna say about that and Tifa and Cloud being current lovers.
christianbaleno.jpg

I don't think it's as clearcut as "C/A were and C/T are". Whether you think there was attraction or not, I don't think the game supports actual love between Cloud and Aeris (at least on Cloud's part) to the point where a relationship was possible.

So, no. Cloud did not love Aeris and has now moved on to loving Tifa. I call bullpoop.

Last edited:

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
I stopped caring when I realized Cloud didn't love Tifa *or* Aerith...

I'm glad you're finally seeing it our way, Drake.

He agrees with us. Cloud didn't love Tifa or Aerith; he only ever loved Zack.

/LTD Closed (as it should've always been)

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Wow... it was a long ass ride getting to the end of this thread. The current end, anyway. I loved it almost all the way through, let's face it it basically started out as a diehard Cloti thread, with fake Clerith arguments thrown up for comedic effect, which frequently went off to the land of random shit. And that was hilarious.

It did not get any serious debate on the subject until shortly after the translation of the High Affection Highwind Scene got full attention finally (props for that btw, better late than never) which is when the thread supposedly became "made-of-win". Only then did the pinkness threaten to engulf the world and suck it into the Shipper-Void. It's like they sensed our (yes our, even though I love Aerith I am quite committed to Cloti and have been for years) coming final victory and had to gather their strength for one last battle, throwing out old tricks that don't hold weight anymore (not that they ever held much, face it) and just giving it one more useless push. It's a lot like that last scripted fight with Sephiroth actually, he can't possibly win, Cloud has his ultimate technique even if you didn't ever get or learn it (DEMAND=Omnislash) but hey, he had to try right?

I feel bad for the Cleriths in a way. Yes, they depend on delusional false logic to support their clearly dead crusade for "eternal CXA lurve!!!" but who among us hasn't clung stubbornly to something we knew rationally to be false? Hell, I used to "ship" for myself and a girl I loved, long after I could rationally see that she was using me and such (extreme example since those are real people... unless I'm someone's dream) but valid, just on a different scale. So really, as each Clerith eventually is forced to confront the truth and admit Cloti (or, possibly Clerra, I suppose, or any other non CXA pairing) is having their poor little pink heart broken. And no ribbon is going to tie it back together this time, not once they finally let it go. I don't blame them, after 12 years of the LTD, for finding it hard to pry themselves loose and "abandon ship" Sweet, pun.

Still, I can forgive you guys (I just joined this thread, totally not my fault you stepped on their pink-shaded glasses, oh fucker no lol) for all the Clerith pain you have caused. But one thing is unforgivable!

I WAS PROMISED JELLO WRESTLING!!!!

Failure to deliver unto the masses, mainly myself because I can be a selfish prick sometimes, Final Fantasy girls in a jello wrestling match after putting it in the title must be punished. And thus...

*Whips out his namesake Tonberry abilities and uses Everybody's Grudge on everyone present, which naturally breaks damage limit all to hell considering just how bloody many monsters we've all obviously killed playing video games*

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
::Is immune to everybody's grudge::

I APOLOGIZE FOR NOTHING!

And take all the credit.
At the same time.

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names
Damn, foiled by as simple a technique as stating "I am immune!" Drat my lack of foresight for that... *quickly hits Ryu with Chef's Knife in the vain hope that he is not deathproof also* Something I forgot to address in my other post, though its largely rhetorical... how the hell did the poll get 6 votes for Clerith anyway? Did we EVER get an answer for that?

Either way, 56-6 = curbstomp.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
::Counter attack activates- grins evilly::

I know who all voted, and I will let them, aside from the joke voters, explain themselves.

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names
*takes one hit from Counter, ignores insignificant damage rating* Wow, little limp-wristed there man. If you like I could show you some exercises to toughen that up?

But back on topic again, didn't those folks get invited to explain their votes several times and never pony up the info? I know its their right to assist in their own defense or something like that, but c'mon, I wanna know and they ain't tellin!

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
You know I meant Terra. And I don't mean the BBS one!!

Sure you did... :awesome:

It did not get any serious debate on the subject until shortly after the translation of the High Affection Highwind Scene got full attention finally (props for that btw, better late than never) which is when the thread supposedly became "made-of-win".

I suck because I missed this, whatever this is. Where is it? :sadpanda:

*Whips out his namesake Tonberry abilities and uses Everybody's Grudge on everyone present, which naturally breaks damage limit all to hell considering just how bloody many monsters we've all obviously killed playing video games*

I'm an NPC, so N/A. :monster:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom