Metal Gear Solid 5 (+ General Series Thread)

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Does it naturally feel that it should be this short, Tets, or do you find yourself thinking, "Man, they really could have combined these into one title"?

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Does it naturally feel that it should be this short, Tets, or do you find yourself thinking, "Man, they really could have combined these into one title"?

I was under the impression that it was meant to be a part of phantom pain initially but fans begging for it forced Kojima to release it separately o.o

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
fans have to go and ruin everything

i was going to get the ps3 version, and maybe go for the ps4 upgrade later on, except i have to wait for money to go into my account first so i probably will be waiting but hopefully not so long that i miss out on the deja-vu mission. i kind of want to try the xbox exclusive mission as well though but i kind of doubt i ever will.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I was under the impression that it was meant to be a part of phantom pain initially but fans begging for it forced Kojima to release it separately o.o

That's kinda what Kojima says though I call bullshit. I mean, the first reveal was of "MGS Ground Zeroes". The very first announcement already explained it was the prologue to MGSV. So it was obviously always the plan.

Dat Trolljima.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
One of the missions has you extract...Hideo Kojima himself.

He then sits in the helicopter in the title screen and messes with with your mission select. :wacky:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
He showed up in Peace Walker as well :monster:

Troll Kojima best kojima

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

I feel like even with the replay value and the side missions and collectibles, 20 - 30 munnies is still too much. 5 - 15 would've been more acceptable, maybe.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
So I beat it a while ago.

I think it was worth it and I still haven't done any of the side ops. It's a great follow up to Peace Walker and really helped jog my memory through the back story section.
on the events leading up to it since its been years since ive touched PW.
It really did a bang up job setting up Phantom Pain too. I really need a time machine now because Im hungry for more lol.

Im definitely going to give it another run through because apparently I missed a lot of stuff while playing it and I was taking my time!

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Double post but :

I was thinking and I've come to the conclusion that while I loved the crap out of GZ. I never want to pay this much for a game of this caliber again.
I think the excellent gameplay and story almost justify it but unfortunately this also sets a precedent.

I'm pretty sure GZ has sold well and other companies are surely looking at it and considering there own grab at a 30$ prologue, and while I can justify dropping the cash on a top tier series like MGS I cant think of very many other games that can get away with it in my book.

I just really dont want to see any more short games like this released again and I'm afraid GZ might be the gateway to get other developers into this kind of cash grab :<

Hisako

&#28040;&#12360;&#12394;&#12356;&#12402;&#12373;&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
See that's the argument I think a lot of people are taking, but I don't think it's necessarily as cut and dried as that. I think what Kojima did is an exceptional case because unlike a lot of other franchises, main Metal Gear games don't come around very often.
The closest time period between two main Metal Gear releases was arguably between MGS4 and Peace Walker (which was two years) and if Kojima's estimates are right we won't be seeing The Phantom Pain possibly until the end of 2015/early 2016. That's 6 years since Peace Walker was released on the PSP, and I think for a lot of people it's a long, long wait. A lot of other AAA games have faster development times than that, so people would find it easier to justify waiting for a full release.
Is GZ worth $30? At face value, probably very likely not, but in this case I guess the fanbase is passionate enough to give Kojima the benefit of the doubt that they're basically paying a premium for perceived quality.

The other argument that people bring up, of course, is the fact that back when MGS2 was coming out people were so hyped to play it that a large number of people bought Zone of the Enders just for the purposes of playing through the MGS2 demo that bundled with the game. Times are different, of course, but at the end of the day it all comes down to how much goodwill a developer has with its consumer base. The average aggregate for all the main Metal Gear games is huge. Kojima has oodles of goodwill to spare, and plenty others don't.

That said, informed buyers will be smart enough just to wait for a price drop. No big deal. Me, I'm just stupid. Let me have my fun =P

Trust The Guardian to point out MGSV's Guantanamo commentary. I'm glad someone did, though :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Kojima's estimates are right we won't be seeing The Phantom Pain possibly until the end of 2015/early 2016.

Probably early 2015 at the latest is my guess.

They might as well not bother with developing TPP cross-gen if it comes out as late as 2016 and make it true next-gen imo.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
See that's the argument I think a lot of people are taking, but I don't think it's necessarily as cut and dried as that. I think what Kojima did is an exceptional case because unlike a lot of other franchises, main Metal Gear games don't come around very often.
The closest time period between two main Metal Gear releases was arguably between MGS4 and Peace Walker (which was two years) and if Kojima's estimates are right we won't be seeing The Phantom Pain possibly until the end of 2015/early 2016. That's 6 years since Peace Walker was released on the PSP, and I think for a lot of people it's a long, long wait. A lot of other AAA games have faster development times than that, so people would find it easier to justify waiting for a full release.
Is GZ worth $30? At face value, probably very likely not, but in this case I guess the fanbase is passionate enough to give Kojima the benefit of the doubt that they're basically paying a premium for perceived quality.

The other argument that people bring up, of course, is the fact that back when MGS2 was coming out people were so hyped to play it that a large number of people bought Zone of the Enders just for the purposes of playing through the MGS2 demo that bundled with the game. Times are different, of course, but at the end of the day it all comes down to how much goodwill a developer has with its consumer base. The average aggregate for all the main Metal Gear games is huge. Kojima has oodles of goodwill to spare, and plenty others don't.

That said, informed buyers will be smart enough just to wait for a price drop. No big deal. Me, I'm just stupid. Let me have my fun =P

Trust The Guardian to point out MGSV's Guantanamo commentary. I'm glad someone did, though :monster:

I really hope this is the case. MGS is definitely the only game that springs to mind that can be justified in trying this out.

Though I'm afraid that wont stop other publishers from trying to take a crack at it. Here's hoping that gamers voting with there wallets will nip it in the bud should other publishers try it out.

Anywho thought this was cool:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-face-off

Hisako

AKA
Probably early 2015 at the latest is my guess.

They might as well not bother with developing TPP cross-gen if it comes out as late as 2016 and make it true next-gen imo.

Well, as the Digital Foundry article pointed out, Fox Engine was likely born from last-gen development so the more they learn the more I think they'll be able to upscale a lot of things :monster:

Hisako

AKA
I also have to say that even on the Xbox 360, whoever worked on the lighting and materials did an absolutely fucking amazing job, because even through the jaggies and texture resolutions, this shit is goddamn photorealistic as hell

Last edited:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Finally decided to take a crack at the side missions.

And its even more gorgeous scenery. Its the same map how ever they take place during the day and it really brings out how well the Fox Engine performs. Its just really really well done.

Top Bottom