Metal Gear Solid 5 (+ General Series Thread)

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Didn't read the spoilery bits obviously but that sounds like a shame. Especially since it's only on the collector's bonus disc...

Yeah, it seems like a huge bit of story and such, but given that I know next to nothing about the series' story itself, I can't say how much, but it's one hell of a thing nonetheless.

X :neo:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I've been meaning to get into MGS for years but this song:

Has absofuckinglutely sealed the deal. Should I just fire through them chronologically? I've got the first few from way back anyway, I just never really got around to giving them a proper bash. I'm pretty sure I've got the HD collection from PS Plus a while back too.

I will warn you though, the series is complete batshit and I have absolutely no qualms saying that it's perfectly understandable if it is Not Your Thing :monster:

That said, awesome main themes are par for the course! Metal Gear Solid 3 remains to this day one of the finest videogames of all time, in no small part to its main theme

I hope you brought a cheese knife. :monster:

Ghost X

*bookmarks important deleted story thing and hopes the article still exists when he eventually plays the game, along with all other "don't forget to do this" articles he has about the game.* I didn't play MGS4 until a year after release. I suspect the same will happen for me for this game :(.

Lex

Administrator
Well Satsu I was gonna say that the MGSV theme could be a bond song, and after watching that opening from III I understand that that's absolutely the intention :monster:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Honestly, I was going to post the Snake Eater theme as well, but I thought that there was no way you hadn't already heard it. :huh:

Lex

Administrator
There are three things I know about MGS, two of which I remember from my limited time with it as a child.

1. The "you've been discovered" noise
2. Someone called Snake
3. Now, these songs.

That's literally the entire extent of my knowledge on the whole series. I'm pretty much going in as fresh as a person can be in this day and age :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
There are three things I know about MGS, two of which I remember from my limited time with it as a child.

1. The "you've been discovered" noise
2. Someone called Snake
3. Now, these songs.

That's literally the entire extent of my knowledge on the whole series. I'm pretty much going in as fresh as a person can be in this day and age :monster:

I'm excited to hear about your impressions when you start playing the games. :monster:

Unless they're negative in which case you're dead to me

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Well yeah, last time they used the theme was in the trailers for Portable Ops. Then between that and the release someone played Kojima Sviridov's Winter Road and he noticed it was a tad bit too similar so they stopped using it. :monster:

A goddamn shame.

Ghost X

I forgot the technical term, if there is one, for the cascading sequence of notes that seem copied (arpeggio?), but I don't think that's enough evidence to suggest copying has taken place.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon

The Ground Zeroes official tracks are spruced up in the album release and the alert theme is even more fucking awesome

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
do you get anything for having ground zero saves when you start phantom pain? i have the ps3 version of gz which had some motherbase staff code, and the ps4 download version which was on the ps+ freeplay a bit back that i haven't played yet. i don't know if that code will work now since i plan on getting the ps4 version now

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I'm not sure if the code still works or if they just replaced it with the save upload entirely. Tried it a few times when the game came out but the code didn't work.

The save upload gives you some of the people you extracted in Ground Zeroes as MB staff - they come back in batches after certain missions. Unique people like the Eye and the Finger or that agent and bald marine from the Intel Acquisition side op, as well as all the prisoners from each mission. Hideo is also among them though you can get him in TPP again in a side op even without a GZ save file (you'll get him earlier like this though and he is like S++ in Intel =p)

Also, you'll be able to develop the PW/GZ sneaking suit and the PS1 Solid Snake skin.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
does the save upload work across platforms?

if not at least i have something to do while i wait to get pp :sadpanda:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
In other news, I went and bought TPP and finished the prologue (yay crawling) and the first mission. It says I've completed 2% of the game now, go me :monster:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
My MGS-loving friend alerted me to Quiet's idle animations in the helicopter. What do you guys think of them?

I know criticising Kojima isn't the done thing on the internet these days, but I really wish he wouldn't put stuff like this in his games. We could debate whether it's objectifying (I think it is), but at the very least, it's totally cringeworthy.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i would think there are better and easier ways to find something to masturbate to nowaday than the idling animations of game characters

idk i find the fact that it's the likeness of a real person adds awkward to it

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I love Kojima and all but yeah this stuff is always pretty juvenile. Even The Boss who was awesome and all had to get her boobies out at some point and it's like, c'mon Kojima you're not 13 anymore stop it.

I think Western games are slowly getting better about it but Japanese games still like to have their cringeworthy fanservice.

Look, I look boobies but if I wanna see them I'll just go on myfreecams or something

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
The only difference is that with The Boss it's a genuine, emotional moment and not done for the sake of titillation (heh).

I know criticising Kojima isn't the done thing on the internet these days, but I really wish he wouldn't put stuff like this in his games. We could debate whether it's objectifying (I think it is), but at the very least, it's totally cringeworthy.

lol it's not the done thing these days because it already started all the way back when Metal Gear Solid 4 came out and you could go into a creepy photobooth type blank stage against the bodysuit-clad bosses :monster:

It's super dumb and juvenile but at this point on the scale of one to Metal Gear it's par for the course

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
So now everyone is falling ill on my base and is put into quarantine and quite a few dudes are dying.

I was looking through the profiles of those in quarantine to see if there's anything these guys have in common. I think I may have found it, they all speak Kikongo without exception. Coupled with the random audio bits in different languages that played for those infected guys in that creepy Devil's House, I'm guessing this parasite is language activated or some shit?

I'm just gonna preemptively put all Kikongo speakers into quarantine for now...

It seems the game is gonna play it somewhat fair so far because I noticed those dying are also mostly low ranks so I guess I won't have to worry about all my elite guys dropping like flies...yet. =P

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
"Words can kill."

Top Bottom