Metal Gear Solid 5 (+ General Series Thread)

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I've still yet to play the game (soooooooon) but it's been pretty hard to take a step online without MGSV and opinions of it being thrown at you. I'm not going to go into whether or not we should have games with this kind of pandering in them, or whether it can be seen as juvenile or not. Instead, the most interesting aspect to me is how people everywhere seem to be completely ignoring the viewpoint of Stefanie Joosten, who essentially portrays Quiet.

Stefanie did the motion capture and voicework for Quiet, not to mention that her body was 3D scanned for the role. She is the person that is/isn't being objectified in this scenario and for all intents and purposes that is her body. For her part she doesn't seem to have a bad word to say about the ordeal and in many interviews states that she's proud to be playing such a strong character. She also seems to have a lot of respect for Kojima, having worked so close to him.

I'm not trying to suggest that objectifying women (or anybody, really) is the way to move forward. In this kind of scenario, though, I find it impossible to be offended by something if the individual in question is delighted with how she is being portrayed. Evidence seems to suggest that's just me though. :monster:

Also if anybody is at all interested, Stefanie has been streaming her playthrough of MGSV. Turns out she's quite a big gamer.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I haven't met Quiet yet, but from the screenshots and shit I just thought it was completely unnecessary :monster:. Is the reason behind her lack of an outfit explained at all in the game?

I liked The Boss better in that respect. Who was counteracted again by that blonde woman whatever her name was (
Solid's mum loloo
)

I haven't met Quiet yet, but from the screenshots and shit I just thought it was completely unnecessary :monster:. Is the reason behind her lack of an outfit explained at all in the game?

I liked The Boss better in that respect. Who was counteracted again by that blonde woman whatever her name was (
Solid's mum loloo
)
She's photosynthetic, doesn't eat, drinks through her skin, etc. At one point, they say she's completely cooperative, except for when one of them tried to dress her and she beat the shit out of him. So there is a reason, but I don't see that as any sort of excuse. The End was also photosynthetic, and he was completely covered up aside from his head, and the series has famously not shied away from fanservice.

For most of those poses she does in the chopper, I don't have a problem with. Aside from some of the blatant, theres-no-reason-for-me-to-do-this-unless-I-wanted-you-to-look-at-my-ass. But even then, I don't know what Quiet wants yet,so I'm still open to them justifying it in some way.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
Also if anybody is at all interested, Stefanie has been streaming her playthrough of MGSV. Turns out she's quite a big gamer. [/I]

She went on stream without Mods.

remember when britney did that (reference no one will get but I'm laughing at it and that's all that matters)

No seriously though, she popped her stream up and got like 50,000 immediate viewers and was like "oh I think I need mods". Yeah you don't say. She's had to mod complete randoms that are probably lewd weirdos like Joe.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I love Kojima and all but yeah this stuff is always pretty juvenile. Even The Boss who was awesome and all had to get her boobies out at some point and it's like, c'mon Kojima you're not 13 anymore stop it.

I think Western games are slowly getting better about it but Japanese games still like to have their cringeworthy fanservice.

Look, I look boobies but if I wanna see them I'll just go on myfreecams or something

Japanese games do have the cringeworthy fan service, but I think they might also tend to have better plots and active roles for their women, and metal gear does that better than a lot. Watched the first few hours but know nothing about Quiet, so in the rest of the series... (spoilers for all games except this one)

We get stupidly dressed women, but no shallow love interests (and if they look like them at first glance, they're usually spies that are doing it on purpose). Naomi, Meryl, Strangelove, The Boss, Amanda, Olga, Fortune, Paramedic, Paz etc. all have independent goals and motivations, and are capable in their own right.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Stefanie did the motion capture and voicework for Quiet, not to mention that her body was 3D scanned for the role. She is the person that is/isn't being objectified in this scenario and for all intents and purposes that is her body. For her part she doesn't seem to have a bad word to say about the ordeal and in many interviews states that she's proud to be playing such a strong character. She also seems to have a lot of respect for Kojima, having worked so close to him.
lots of stuff that you could call objectification involves real people, so someone had to be there to be objectified. and some people are fine with that/don't see it as objectification. and some women don't think that women should vote or even work and leave the house, so yeah :monster: (obviously not saying quiet is on the same level as deny women's suffrage)

there's been other characters in previous games who didn't have real life counterparts and who were sexualised/objectified, but for quiet (and mgs4's beauty and beast unit) it's probably closer to actresses in movies. they agree to take part, but the control is with the director. they're the ones who decides what's going to happen (possibly more so in games because they don't really need to act everything out, you can animate by hand or get someone else to mocap it).

for me personally, the biggest gripe is that it all feels juvenile and tacky. like being able to jiggle rose's titties with the controller in mgs4 (why???) or being able to x-ray vision paz in her underwear in peace walker (why???). and now you have a character who is barely wearing anything (because of reasons that kojima made up himself because it's not a real person, it's a character he wanted to have with her tits hanging out) that you can apparently watch for 10 minutes while she stretches her arse towards you and you sit there like a voyeur looking at some pixel boobs.

that do a few dead or alive moves

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Joosten's a model, I don't think she'd have that job if she didn't accept that kind of objectification to some degree. :wackymonster:

Also, it's her face in the game not her body. They certainly made her arse and boobs a lot larger.

Edit:

Okay so the Ground Zeroes DLC Code is redeemable and I got some Mother Base staff apparently...though I don't see them anywhere...

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
They tweeted a photo a while back of Joosten in a bikini under the Fox Engine scans, so there's a 99% chance it's probably her body model as well

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Doesn't mean they couldn't do a bit of post-processing after that.

Anyway, it is known models know damn well what they look like and what they do. It's not like they're like "Oh noes, I didn't know my boobars were having that effect on people~"

As for fanservice... Snake's arse in the MGS 2 demo/prologue. That is all :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
You can play as any of your recruits, yes. :monster:

I often take one of the female soldiers on Side Ops. So far she is my only S+ rank combat unit member. :monster:

I finally unlocked her XOF outfit and can make her wear proper clothes.

Also...beating the [Extreme] version of her boss battle unlocks a Sniper Wolf outfit. :D

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Always wondered how to get that.

So getting it! :D

I use Amber Fox for all my Side Ops because she's cute and the FOX tattoo on her face is super badass.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
I heard things about it, but I'm still only 34% done so far after a hundred-ish hours :monster:

Lex

Administrator
I started playing MGS on ePSXe. I'm pleasantly surprised with both how well the game plays re: fluidity of controls and the difficulty. Although I need to be honest, I've considered using a guide after getting stuck not quite knowing what to do a couple of times, and the controls are awkward (that sounds like a dichotomy, but the way snake moves is great, it's accessing tools I'm having trouble with. It says to press select to open the radio thingy but it opens the other thingy and I have to like hammer select over and over to open the radio thingy).

I remember when I was young my cousin said to me "aye, it's called Metal Gear Solid for a reason. It really is fucking solid" (solid is a slang word for incredibly difficult in the UK). And I mean... I understand why a ten year old would have trouble with this game for sure.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
It says to press select to open the radio thingy but it opens the other thingy and I have to like hammer select over and over to open the radio thingy

Must be the emulator, that doesn't happen on PS.

On another note, MGSV boob physics:

whatthehell25ep8a.png

A+

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Are people too busy playing this to comment here?

Because I wanna rant to somebody. =(

I'm currently in a love/hate relationship with this. Gameplay is SO GEWD BRO but the story was a colossal disappointment.

Chapter 2 is also clearly an unfinished mess.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I'm waiting for mine, it's expected on Friday. I got the special edition for the bluray to get that 'Kingdom of flies' thing? Didn't know what that was until I looked it up and it's meant to be a supplement or epilogue to the ending? I also saw 'added as an apology from Kojima' which didn't sound good. Also that there's data suggesting a third chapter was meant to be in the game and was cut.

I just want to see how the series ends at this point, tbh

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I heard things about it, but I'm still only 34% done so far after a hundred-ish hours :monster:

The reviews said it was a 25-50 hour game! THEY LIED TO US!

(I'm at 26 hours, 17%)

(I only just rescued
Emmerich, why they even had to chuck him in there (omg daddy?) is beyond me)
). How many chapters are there in total anyway?

Actually, don't tell me :monster:.

I do kinda hope they keep updating this game, adding content and whatnot. The base building and online components are actually kinda reminiscent of mobile 'games', think stuff like Clash of Clans.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Are people too busy playing this to comment here?

Because I wanna rant to somebody. =(

I'm currently in a love/hate relationship with this. Gameplay is SO GEWD BRO but the story was a colossal disappointment.

Chapter 2 is also clearly an unfinished mess.

I haven't completed Chapter 2 yet, but have gotten to the Truth. Rant to me as much as you want concerning that.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA

METAL GEAR ONLIN(SAN) commentary from TGS demo footage! :D

Also apparently in the stream there's promises of new singleplayer content - mostly outfits and other minor dress-up thingies, though apparently female character creation and some other new features might be injected in as well

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

This is how you play the game. :wackymonster:

Also, not directly related but here's Donna Burke with Uematsu :monster:

CPFVmA8UkAAkEzi.jpg

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Apparently, Konami is dropping development of all their AAA titles besides MGS and Pro Evolution, in favor of gambling games/machines; AAA titles cost a lot of money to develop but don't have as much return on investment as gambling machines do, apparently. I read that MGSV cost about 80 million to develop, has sold about 3 million copies atm, but needs 6 million to break even.

TBF I don't really care about anything besides MGS, but I know franchises like Silent Hill are popular as fuck and everyone's bummed out the latest entry got cancelled.

Top Bottom