Metal Gear Solid 5 (+ General Series Thread)

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Kojima definitely isn't one to outsource his IP unless he's dead certain that it'll be decent.

But then again we got Portable Ops and the Ac!d series lolo

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
FUCK beat me to it.

but holy shit fantastiche

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
It is the original track I think, :monster:

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Yep, it is. I forgot Kojima said he was inspired by it.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Okay so uh. I haven't played MGS 4 yet; whereabouts in the story/timeline does this take place? If this is the same Snake as in the other 'main' MGS games (except 3), I'm guessing it's a while before the 4th.

I like how the first level is somewhat reminiscent of the first level in the original, :monster:.

Ghost X

This is MGS3 Snake. Seems like I'll have to be more familiar with the Peace Walker storyline. I'm like "who the fuck is Paz and Chico?" Okay, I'm a bit more informed than that, but not much :P.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Yeah, this is Big Boss ater he established Outer Heaven in secret. Chico was a kid in Peace Walker but I think he'd be too old by the time Big Boss looked that old to be that kid in the cage. Wonder if it's Liquid, Solidus or Snake. Or even maybe Raiden.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Yeah this looks like a direct sequel to Peace Walker.

I'm under the impression that it is Chico at the very beginning. Funny how there was speculation about Chico being a young Liquid when Peace Walker trailers came out :monster:

The voiceover briefing by Kaz Miller says as much that Chico and Paz are being held in there. The burnt-face villain (srsly wuts up with that) says something about 'her' not suffering for long as per the kid's request, and by the end of Peace Walker it was obvious that Chico had a crush on Paz - so it would be in character for Chico to try and man up for Paz's sake. The kid in the demo looks pretty spot-on compared to the pre-rendered art in PW, too.
And, of course, Chico works for Big Boss.

So at the moment most of the implied evidence points to Chico being that fucked-up kid (seriously a headphone jack jammed into his chest ew), and Paz being dead. Admittedly it's wierd how Big Boss would look way older if that was the case, but I think it's fairly strong implications.

Of course, that'd raise some questions about what happened to Amanda =/

I like how the first level is somewhat reminiscent of the first level in the original, :monster:.

"Kept you waiting, huh?" is a staple introduction line in the MGS series. :monster: also, "Age hasn't slowed you down one bit" was one of the first lines of dialogue in the first MGS (Colonel Campbell to Solid Snake). :cthulhu:

Ghost X

Apparently Ground Zeroes is only a prologue to MGS5. Does that mean its not going to be a big game content-wise?

I've read some batshit / seemingly implausible theories about the footage already (eg: everything not being as it seems etc), which I think would be interesting. I'm not buying any of it though. However, what MGS could certainly do with is another Raiden-as-main-character-in-MGS2-type of surprise.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I'm still kind of having a hard time dealing with Boss nonchalantly suggesting they should off Paz.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Big Boss again meh.

Let's see what comes of this.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
I'm still kind of having a hard time dealing with Boss nonchalantly suggesting they should off Paz.

I was under the impression that anyone who had played Peace Walker to the end would completely understand this line of thought

but no spoilers here no siree bob

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I did play to the end, but I guess I was so uptight about how hard that boss was to really remember the rest of the ending.

I was low level and only had LAWs to work with.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
I'm more interested in the gaps in Big Boss' backstory, tbqh. Out of all the silly in MGS4 I'd have been disappointed if they tried to fish more plot from Solid Snake and whatevers. That's all been done and finished, for better or for worse, and on the other hand there's about 15 years of empty space to work with between Peace Walker and the first Metal Gear games. I'm glad they brought the whole United Nations thing into this, because I don't think as a nuclear-capable state MSF would have gone ignored at all.

Looking forward to this more than Rising, for me.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I'm more interested in the gaps in Big Boss' backstory, tbqh.

What gaps? Sure we haven't experienced every moment of his life, but we've been through/exposed to so much of Big Boss' history that I just dont see there still being anything relevant left to tell in his story in relation to the rest of the series. It just feels like more needless filler, much like Peace Walker, which ultimately did not do much to add to the mythos as far as I'm concerned.

They'll probably introduce some new "revelation" or other bullshit that we somehow got through all of these games without knowing and that nonsense will lead into MGS5.

Big Boss is as done to death as Snake. Literally and figuratively.

They should have introduced a new protagonist entirely, or you know, that game about The Boss Kojima claims to want to make.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
I thought you didn't like the idea of that videogame about The Boss :monster:

Peace Walker was filler, but I didn't find it "needless". It further characterises the transition from Naked Snake to Big Boss (far better than any other MGS in the past) and puts the player through setting up Outer Heaven, both pretty friggin' important events that tie in with the first Metal Gear game. There's a lot of other significant stuff in the MG universe in the 70s and 80s that are only briefly mentioned in the previous games or given one or two lines in endgame pre-credits.
Also, it's important to note that the MSF base in the Carribean isn't the actual Outer Heaven we get in PW; it's off the African continent, unless Kojima decides to retcon it all of a sudden.

In all honesty, the MGS story has been finished ever since MGS4. A new protagonist would be a new story, and probably not one relevant to Metal Gear Solid specifically - unless the new protagonist is somehow a character in the established mythos we've overlooked for the past 20 years of plot.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I thought you didn't like the idea of that videogame about The Boss :monster:

Peace Walker was filler, but I didn't find it "needless". It further characterises the transition from Naked Snake to Big Boss (far better than any other MGS in the past) and puts the player through setting up Outer Heaven, both pretty friggin' important events that tie in with the first Metal Gear game.

Except we already knew Big Boss' motivations and the timeline of the creation of Outer Heaven. We didn't need to go any more into detail in those events.

We KNOW where Big Boss' story is going and where its been. We don't need any more elaboration on that as far as I'm concerned.

When did I say I didnt like the Boss game idea?

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
idk, i could be wrong

could be the whole "world war two" idea that people were throwing around a while back

Top Bottom