Naruto Anime/Manga (Manga Spoilers Not Tagged) [WSJ]

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Chapter 547 up at mangastream. More background on the relationship between Gaara and his father. Apparently Gaara's dad can do the same eye-made-out-sand technique Gaara can do (doujutsu?) and we finally learn what Gaara's mom really thought about him.

We also get a better look at the other Kage's personalities, the Mizukage's in particular. I swear, the more ninja we see from Kiri, the more I want to know the history of the village, because the information is so contradictory. Kabuto should really erase the Kage's personalities before they tell the ninja alliance what their abilities are.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Chapter 547 up at mangastream. More background on the relationship between Gaara and his father. Apparently Gaara's dad can do the same eye-made-out-sand technique Gaara can do (doujutsu?) and we finally learn what Gaara's mom really thought about him.

I like that it finally comes in an explains that Gaara retained his power for the same reason that Naturo and Bee have their strength. It's working very well to bring up the conflict between the Inner & Outer Paths of the sons of the Sage of the Six Paths: Love & Power, and which one will be victorious.

Seeing the complete arc about Gaara's backstory was really touching though. Tiny little Gaara, and the fact that after his burned the word Love into his head, Shukaku actually broke out, and Gaara's Father was constantly watching them.

We also get a better look at the other Kage's personalities, the Mizukage's in particular. I swear, the more ninja we see from Kiri, the more I want to know the history of the village, because the information is so contradictory. Kabuto should really erase the Kage's personalities before they tell the ninja alliance what their abilities are.

Seriously. Kirigakure is the villiage I've been most intrigued by ever since the beginning of the series, but I figure that that will truly come to light when Naruto has to confront the Mizukage Jinchuriki, because that's when it makes the most sense to give the backstory involving Madara, unless they get some information out with the 7 Swordsmen.

This is why I think that Kabuto's alliance with Madara is still ambiguous and his motives aren't entirely evil. His past as the survivor of a massacre has to come into play once we start getting into details with what his real plans are.

X :neo:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Recap of all the info we currently know about Kiri and when we learned it.

Wave Arc
-- Kiri's nickname was "the bloody mist"
-- Kiri had a civil war against people who had bloodline limits. It is assumed that the side with bloodline limits lost
-- the graduation exam was a fight to the death until Zabuza slaughtered everyone
-- Kiri shinobi use weapons that would be more at home in a Final Fantasy game
-- it seems like a lot of Kiri-ninja have left the village
-- Kiri holds that emotions are not necessary

After Sasuke kills Orochimaru
-- Suigutsu was trained in Kirigakure by Kisame. He has a kekkai genkai.

Kage Summit Arc
-- the current Mizukage (Tsurume) has two bloodlines (Lava (earth and fire) and boil (water and fire))
-- her adviser (Ao) has a byakuugen and knows how to use it
-- Kiri is trying to prove it isn't "the bloody mist" anymore
-- Akatsuki originated in Kiri
-- Kiri is the first village to have a jinchuuriki as a Kage (Yondaime) and he had "perfect" control over his biju (Sanbi). Apparently, he was a genius and was also controlled by Madara
-- apparently Kiri has thrown out the "emtions are not necessary" idea

Shinobi Alliance Arc
-- while not much is known about the Nindaime Mizukage, he does have a personality and was strong enough to fight the Nindaime Tsukikage (Dust release) to the death. It becomes even more impressive when Doton jutsu have an advantage over Suiton jutsu. In any case, he isn't a pushover.

I'd like to know how Kishimoto is going to reconcile the stuff we learned in the Wave Arc, with the stuff we learned in the Kage Summit Arc. Should be interesting.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Also don't forget. The Yondaime Mizukage looks like a girl. :monster:

This chapter was pretty damn good. A greater look at the circumstances of Gaara's birth and how much of a bastard his father was, was truly interesting. And then us realizing he had a similar "gift" like Naruto given by his parents (or in this case, his mother) was rather touching. Here I thought the reason he still kept the sand ability was due to him having Shukaku so long, its chakra and abilities merged with his.

Btw, the second Mizukaze is hilarious. He's my favorite.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Another interesting point that this brings up is this explains why Sand allied with Sound agains Konoha during the Chunin exams. Sand is barely making it by, and their only Biju is the One Tail, who is next to uncontrollable. They're lacking a lot in hoping to be a successful villiage, and they need to take risks to get ahead. Allying with Orochimaru, Kimimaro, and the Sound ninja would give them the trump card that they needed to get a big step up, and taking out Konoha would help them gain back some power.

The issue is that Orochimaru was well aware of this situation, likely from Kabuto's connection with Sasori, and took advantage of it by killing the Kazekage. That allower him to take everything under his direct control. Sand actually lucked out due to this because, since the villiage was basically being puppeted, they gained an ally from Konoha, whereas if the Kazekage was in charge, it's possible that their villiage might have collapsed entirely, especially if he was killed in battle, and Konoha was left as their enemy. I think that they made it by with support from Konoha, until Gaara (who turned out better from the encounter with Naruto) was able to take over as the Kazekage.

Just wanted to drop that little bit out there, because the villiages' interconnecting histories and relationships are becoming SUPER interesting with these little insights. Especially when you see how important certain characters and interactions impact the grand scheme of things.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Garaa's father is a dick and a terrible dad.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I think it's because after losing his wife, he became entirely consumed by his duties as Kazekage, in what we now know was a failing villiage. That would explain why he stopped thinking of his children as children and only looked at what they were worth to the villiage as tools. I don't even think you could consider him their 'father' during that time in anything aside from the most strict biological sense.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Another interesting point that this brings up is this explains why Sand allied with Sound agains Konoha during the Chunin exams. Sand is barely making it by, and their only Biju is the One Tail, who is next to uncontrollable. They're lacking a lot in hoping to be a successful villiage, and they need to take risks to get ahead. Allying with Orochimaru, Kimimaro, and the Sound ninja would give them the trump card that they needed to get a big step up, and taking out Konoha would help them gain back some power.

Well, we knew that already. Second databook goes into detail about how the Suna Village was barely making due and their Daimyo cut their budget.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Well, we knew that already. Second databook goes into detail about how the Suna Village was barely making due and their Daimyo cut their budget.

:O

I haven't read any of the databooks. Are the English versions any good, or are there decent scanslations of them up anywhere?

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Well, the beginning of this chapter was a nice conclusion to Gaara's development arc. He got the closure that he would never have received from his dad, and truly understands his past. With that encouragement, I think that we're going to see Gaara being much more technically capable, just like when Naruto gains a better understanding of himself.

The battle of the Tsuchikages is getting really intense. We only see a glimpse of it, but they're fighting on a scale that's WAY more dangerous than anything else that's been seen thus far. I'd forgotten that the previous one can make himself invisible. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out, and why he's trying to lure Gaara there.

I'm glad that the Raikage & Mizukage managed to escape the initial sealing in unique ways. It's interesting that they're giving away their own weaknesses, but I still think that's partially Kabuto's intention. I'm excited to see what sort of use a Giant Clam is going to be. I have to say it's the most unusual Summoned creature so far, finally beating out Tsunade's slug.

Lastly: Nagato & Itachi vs. Nartuo & Bee.

HELL yes. I'm almost certain that this confrontation is to intentionally reference the power that Itachi gave to Naruto, and so that it will set up a little bit of Naruto's state of mind towards Sasuke from their last meeting of fists. It also presents an opportunity for the two people who know the most about Madara to give that information to Naruto. Conversational development aside, this has the potential to be one HELL of an amazing fight.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I really hope Naruto and B can handle both Itachi AND Nagato at the same time. I feel worried for B for some reason.

Anyways, this was pretty emotional. Gaara's seriously come a long way, being able to let go of his past feelings of hate and all. He really has developed past his anger. That was pretty touching.

And the Kazekage realizing just how much of a shitbag he was, was pretty touching too. Glad he didn't try to make up an excuse. He was right. He was a shitty fucking dad. :monster:

I think it's safe to say that once the Kage get sealed up, and Naruto and B defeat Itachi and Nagato, the main force of Kabuto's zombie army will be dead, right?

Well, except for the new stupid "Pains" I suppose.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I really hope Naruto and B can handle both Itachi AND Nagato at the same time. I feel worried for B for some reason.

Seeing a tag-team-type battle like this is going to be interesting, because it usually comes down to 1 on 1's and I'm not sure that will work in this case, or even who would pair against who. There is the fact that they need information on the new Paths of Pain's Sharingan/Rinnegan combined abilities.

Anyways, this was pretty emotional. Gaara's seriously come a long way, being able to let go of his past feelings of hate and all. He really has developed past his anger. That was pretty touching.

And the Kazekage realizing just how much of a shitbag he was, was pretty touching too. Glad he didn't try to make up an excuse. He was right. He was a shitty fucking dad. :monster:

Gaara's got such a great character arc. There's a reason he's a fan favorite. I also really did appreciate the fact that his dad laid out what he did and didn't make excuses. I respect his character a lot more for that, because he knows that he was in the wrong.

I think it's safe to say that once the Kage get sealed up, and Naruto and B defeat Itachi and Nagato, the main force of Kabuto's zombie army will be dead, right?

Well, except for the new stupid "Pains" I suppose.

Well, there's the Kage, Chiyo/Kimimaro, & the 7 Swordsmen, that I can think of that are still going on. That will seal off the majority of Kabuto's Edo Tensei troops, aside from the trump card that he threatened Madara with. I have a feeling that there's going to be a direct conflict with him once his stage of the battle ends.

Even though the new Paths of Pain are Edo Tensei'd, it looks like they're directly under Madara's control now. I'm still curious how their combat abilities are going to play out, since the previous Paths of Pain were each limited to a specific Jutsu/Element type.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Seeing a tag-team-type battle like this is going to be interesting, because it usually comes down to 1 on 1's and I'm not sure that will work in this case, or even who would pair against who. There is the fact that they need information on the new Paths of Pain's Sharingan/Rinnegan combined abilities.

Gaara's got such a great character arc. There's a reason he's a fan favorite. I also really did appreciate the fact that his dad laid out what he did and didn't make excuses. I respect his character a lot more for that, because he knows that he was in the wrong.

I was kinda worried that most of this war arc would just be a cheap rehash of fan favorites, done to extend the manga further into publication but it's been done surprisingly well. Granted I still want it to hurry up but it's...pretty good.

Well, there's the Kage, Chiyo/Kimimaro, & the 7 Swordsmen, that I can think of that are still going on. That will seal off the majority of Kabuto's Edo Tensei troops, aside from the trump card that he threatened Madara with. I have a feeling that there's going to be a direct conflict with him once his stage of the battle ends.

Fuck, I forgot about Chiyo and Kimimaro. Wait, so I'm remembering back to the samurai, what happened to them? After Hanzou seppuku'd himself, we never saw what happened to all the others, did we?

And the 7 Swordsmen... Wait, Kakashi was fighting them. What ever happened to Kakashi after he got Zabuza's sword?

Kishimoto's kinda..abandoned several fights midway, what gives?

Even though the new Paths of Pain are Edo Tensei'd, it looks like they're directly under Madara's control now. I'm still curious how their combat abilities are going to play out, since the previous Paths of Pain were each limited to a specific Jutsu/Element type.

You know, that never even made sense, anyways. How the hell does Madara control them when they're under Kabuto's jutsu?

Furthermore, how do you implant a living eyeball into the socket of a zombie? A zombie made out of the remains and dirt of an entirely different individual?

LOL wtf?

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I was kinda worried that most of this war arc would just be a cheap rehash of fan favorites, done to extend the manga further into publication but it's been done surprisingly well. Granted I still want it to hurry up but it's...pretty good.

Completely agreed here.

Fuck, I forgot about Chiyo and Kimimaro. Wait, so I'm remembering back to the samurai, what happened to them? After Hanzou seppuku'd himself, we never saw what happened to all the others, did we?

And the 7 Swordsmen... Wait, Kakashi was fighting them. What ever happened to Kakashi after he got Zabuza's sword?

Kishimoto's kinda..abandoned several fights midway, what gives?

Like the 7 Swordsmen, it cut away after the initial conflict. Kishimoto's done that a couple times throughout the series when there's multiple conflicts taking place at once, but he usually handles it pretty well. The only instance of a fight that he NEVER cut back to was Suigetsu vs. Kisame while Sasuke & Itachi were fighting. The War has been the most continually battle intense section, as well as the most divided. The "chasing Sasuke" arc at the end of the original series was close, but they were successive rather than simultaneous.

We've seen a glimpse of Kakashi & Co. during nightfall, but nothing since then. I'm assuming that they'll cut back to this battle when there's focus on the Mizukage & the other Kirigakure forces again, because it will fit with the tone of the other events.

You know, that never even made sense, anyways. How the hell does Madara control them when they're under Kabuto's jutsu?

Furthermore, how do you implant a living eyeball into the socket of a zombie? A zombie made out of the remains and dirt of an entirely different individual?

LOL wtf?

Well, this is totally speculation, but Madara did learn how Edo Tensei worked, so him seizing control of those few might be explained that way, but I figure we'll get some explanation later.

As far as the Rinnegan goes, ALL of the Pains that Nagato created had it, and I don't believe that Nagato implanted real eyes into the corpses, because otherwise Madara wouldn't have had to take them from Nagato, because those ones wouldn't be SO rare. If you remember the original Paths of Pain, there appeared to be a jutsu involved that connects their vision at all times, even though it's never directly explained. Essentially, I think it's this ability that causes them to 'have' Rinnegan, only because it was Nagato's own eyes being manifested through 6 different avatars.

If that's true, Madara might be utilizing the same justu to pass and connect his vision through the Edo Tensei Jinchuriki. Thus, rather than two Rinnegan, they would be manifesting the same two eyes that he possesses: a Sharingan & Rinnegan. He's not actually implanting other eyes into them.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Wow, that's...a damn good point regarding the Six Paths of Pain. I always believed Nagato implanted genetically created Rinnegan into the corpses, and Madara did the same thing. But that makes much more sense. :monster:

Hope we can see more soon.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Yes! We finally have a genjutsu Kage. Surprising that he's from Kiri though. I think he's the... third ninja we've seen that actually uses genjutsu offensively (the first two being Kurenai and Itachi). Given that he's a match for the Sand kage, he's got to have some crazy genjutsu. Honestly, a giant clam. What is it with high-level ninja and weird summons? At least Kishimoto is still capable of throwing us curve-balls and being unpredictable.

I don't think the War Arc has been going on for too long. Of course, most of that is because the part of me that writes fanfiction has been drooling at all the non-Konoha jutsu, bloodlines, and country names that have been revealed.

:excited: Itachi and Nagato vs. Naruto and Bee. This is going to be crazy, especially now that Naruto knows why Itachi massacred the clan. This could be a good thing as Naruto can find out how Madara is lying to Sasuke about the Kyuubi attack. Actually, Kishimoto never showed us what Madara told Naruto about the Uchiha situation; all we know is that Naruto knows that Itachi was ordered to kill the entire Uchiha clan. I'm thinking there's going to be some information double-checking with Itachi. If Nagato is an Uzumaki, now would be a great time to reveal it.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
It'll also be interesting if they detail how he obtained his Rinnegan, and possibly some more history about Uzushiogakure. It's clear that he has his Rinnegan early on, and if Madara gave them to him intentionally, that would mean that he's been putting things into motion for a long while.

Also, Itachi doesn't know what's become of his little brother, and if Naruto manages to inform him, there's some VERY valuable information to be had there, because no one worked towards as many failsafes against Madara as Itachi did. I think that meeting with these two means that Naruto is going to learn the last few key elements that will actually allow him to save Sasuke.

I can't believe that I didn't mention this before, but aside from their individual values, there is almost CERTAINLY some foreshadowing about the future of Naruto & Sasuke during the battle with Nagato & Itachi's two-man cell, because they're both Uzumaki/Uchiha pairs. Now we're going to get a taste of how strong they are when they're combined, instead of opposing. That also brings up a little clue that was mentioned LONG ago, that Naruto as a Wind element is there to strengthen Sasuke's fire element. (I think that may actually be the key to their victory against Madara).

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Excellent chapter.

Itachi finds out what's become of Sasuke, and we know for a fact that Naruto understands his motivation towards attacking Konoha. Itachi's still full of plans though, and I think that he's still going to be able to save the Uchiha clan (which was the first part of Sasuke's dream in the beginning of the series).

We also FINALLY figure out what Itachi gave to Naruto - he left a piece of his power inside him that activates in the presence of (his) Mangekyo Sharingan, so that it'll activate when he fights Sasuke. My only curiosity at this point is why the Crow appears to have a four-point Shuriken-Sharingan eye. I know we'll find out next chapter, because Kishi seems to write key points to his arcs in sets around every 50 & 100 chapters, and next week is #550. All the pieces are coming together, and it's SO damn exciting.

Aside from that, Nagato is totally different now, and I love the banter between him & Naruto. Kabuto does have a real motivation towards obtaining the 8/9-Tails, but his objectives are still unclear. Itachi & Bee has also been a very satisfying fight. It's really impressive just thinking about how these four are on a completely different level than most of the other Shinobi aside from the Kages, etc.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
How did I forget to post? I loved Nagato and Naruto's banter. It really drives home how well they understand each other. I think this is the first time we see Itachi panic, which just inforces how bad the situation is. And we finally get to find out about that crow! Itachi and Nagato better give Naruto an idea about what to do with Madara.

Top Bottom