New Dissidia Arcade Game (NT)

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Great analysis there, ultima. One slight correction: Locke isn't required for beating VI. You can beat it with just Celes, Setzer and Edgar. I do agree that he seems like a strong candidate, but less likely than those three if only because of their popularity plus their potential for more diverse movesets.

Locke has the popularity, but he's not terribly unique. Granted, one might argue that Celes could be very similar to Terra, but I imagine she would be geared more toward swordplay, and that combined with her popularity would probably net her a spot. The only thing that might work against her is if Beatrix is included, as the two of them are similar in many ways already -- perhaps more so than Celes and Terra.

Edgar definitely has potential for a unique setup. Setzer -- well, I don't know what you would do with him any more than I know what you would do with Locke, but he's more popular, and Nomura was involved in creating him. It may come down to the flip of a coin (:awesome:) to decide which of the two make it in.

Last edited:

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
^Can't believe you didn't even list potential villains?

Seifer and Beatrix are the only 2 I thought would be likely. Villains are harder to predict since all the major ones are already included.

I guess Reno could make another villain for VII, since he was rather crucial to destroying Sector 7 and taking Aerith to the Shinra Building, setting up the games later events. He was fought many times, and appears in most of the compilation. Not to mention Axel is pretty much his counterpart in KH...

Also a possibility of Edea and Basch being more than just costumes.

Last edited:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I'm still trying to work out who else they'll add in from FFXIV. It makes sense for them to add a villain at the absolute least to represent Chaos, but who to choose?

Splintered

unsavory tart
I'm still trying to work out who else they'll add in from FFXIV. It makes sense for them to add a villain at the absolute least to represent Chaos, but who to choose?
There's the Judge looking characters that appear in Castrum (for as many times I've run and speed run Castrum, I can't remember them, I don't think I actually seen the cutscenes before). I think Gaius is the main villain. If the villains changed with the expansions of the story, I don't know them.

Also, I'm really pulling for Caius from XIII as he's one of my favorites, but at minimum, Cid Raines.

Other than that, for villains, Vayne from XII, Seymore (no thnx), Rufus maybe?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Caius seems like a shoe-in.

I also kind of expect them to try for at least one "Kingdom Hearts" character this time around. I know that will require Disney's involvement, which they may not want to deal with, but you just know Nomura wants to make it happen.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
Just add in the following and I'll consider buying

Locke or Celes
General Beatrix
Seymour
Sazh or Snow
Caius Ballad

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
PoE8SEg.jpg

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
I hope Cloud has an "Advent Children" style of fighting with his split sword. I want to dual wield with him!

As far as villains go:

FF1: Chronodia (who says bosses can't be playable?)
FF2: Leonhart (Dark Knight)
FF3: Xande (He was the character who awoke the Cloud of Darkness)
FF4: Creator (After Years)
FF5: Enuo (Predates Exdeath)
FF6: Atma/Omega (again who says bosses can't be playable/fightable?)
FF7: Kadaj/Genesis
FFT: Wiegraf/Ajora/Altima
FF8: Siefer
FF9: Necron
FF10: Vegnagun/Penance
FF11: Promathia (since he's connected to Shinryuu from previous games)
FF12: Vayne/Cid/Judge of Wings
FF13: Caius obviously, but also Bhunivelze or even The Arbiter
FF14: ???
FF15: ???

Last edited:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
FF14 villains could be Gaius, Lahabrea or even one of the others like Nero tol Scaeva as he plays a pretty regular role.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
if all this talk of ps4s doesn't lead to a console version, i will be mad

from the story trailer it doesn't sound like it will be another cosmos/chaos story (it mentions their fight being over, and another starting under the gods of a new world)

also here's the command lists from the official site for warrior of light, onion knight, terra, cloud, lightning and y'shtola:

Warrior of Light

Brave attacks:
[ground]
circle - Rise Up
towards enemy + circle - Sword Thrust
away from enemy + circle - Shield of Light
[air]
circle - Crossover
up + circle - Strike Buckler
down + circle - Shield of Light
[dashing]
circle - Guard Slash

HP attacks:
[type A]
square - Shining Wave
[type B]
square - Bright Sabre

EX skills:
[type A]
triangle - Holy Chain
up + triangle - Mighty Strike
down + triangle - Brave Share
[type B]
triangle - Holy Chain
up + triangle - Regenga
down + triangle - Bioga

* Brave attacks can be input consecutively to chain attacks together in succession
* At the location tests, you can select from types A or B

Cloud Strife

Brave attacks:
[ground]
circle - Sonic Break
towards enemy + circle - Climhazzard
away from enemy + circle - Blade Beam
[air]
circle - Slash Blow
up + circle - Braver
down + circle - Finishing Touch
[dashing]
circle - Spin Drive

HP attacks:
[type A]
square - Cross-Slash
[type B]
square - Meteorain

EX skills:
[type A]
triangle - Limit Break
up + triangle - Brave Share
down + triangle - Shield Break
[type B]
triangle - Limit Break
up + triangle - Bioga
down + triangle - Vacuum

* Brave attacks can be input consecutively to chain attacks together in succession
* With the exception of Spin Drive, attacks can be 'charged up'

Terra Bradford

Brave attacks:
[ground]
circle - Fira
towards enemy + circle - Blizzara
away from enemy + circle - Tornado
[air]
circle - Holy
up + circle - Thundara
down + circle - Flare
[dashing]
circle - Graviga

HP attacks:
[type A]
square - Meltdown
[type B]
square - Meteor

EX skills:
[type A]
triangle - Trance
down + triangle - Regenga
[type B]
triangle - Trance
down + triangle - Vacuum

* When not attacking for some time, automatically enters a charge state, strengthening Brave attacks

Y'shtola

Brave attacks:
[ground]
circle - Stone
towards enemy + circle - Virus
away from enemy + circle - Blizzara
[air]
circle - Ruin
up + circle - Aero
down + circle - Aqua Aura
[dashing]
circle - Stonera [ground]/Aerora [air]

HP attacks:
[type A]
square - Holy
[type B]
square - Lance of Life

EX skills:
[type A]
triangle - Aetherial Pulse
up + triangle - Sheild Break
down + triangle - Bioga
[type B]
triangle - Aetherial Pulse
up + triangle - Regenga
down + triangle - Vacuum

Onion Knight

Brave attacks [Onion Knight/Ninja/Sage]:
[ground]
circle - Multi-Hit/Ultra Multi-Hit/Blizzaga
towards enemy + circle - --/Shuriken/Aeroga
away from enemy + circle - Blizzard/Wind Shear/Flare
[air]
circle - Turbo-Hit/Ultra Turbo-Hit/Firaga
up + circle - --/Whirlwind Cut/Thundaga
down + circle - Fire/Wheeling Thrust/Holy
[dashing]
circle - Quick Dash

HP attacks:
[type A]
square - Sword & Magic
[type B]
square - Energy Burst

EX skills:
[type A]
triangle - Job Change*
up + triangle - Shield Break
down + triangle - Bioga
[type B]
triangle - Job Change*
down + triangle - Vacuum

* [Job Change]
- as Onion Knight = Random Job Change
- as Ninja = Job Change: Sage
- as Sage = Job Change: Ninja

Lightning

Brave attacks [Commando/Ravager]:
[ground]
circle - Launch/Fire
towards enemy + circle - Blitz/Watera
L1 + R1 - Paradigm Shift
[air]
circle - Smite/Aerira
up + circle - Heavy Slash/Blizzara
L1 + R1 - Paradigm Shift
[dashing]
circle - Beat Down/Thundaga

HP attacks:
[type A]
square - Crushing Blow
[type B]
square - Razor Gale

EX skills:
[type A]
triangle - Army of One
down + triangle - Shield Break
[type B]
triangle - Army of One
down + triangle - Regenga

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
FFIV: Rydia, Rosa, Edge, Rubicante
FFV: Galuf, Faris
FFVI: Locke, Celes, Edgar
FFVII: Aeris, Red XIII, Yuffie, Vincent
FFVIII: Rinoa, Seifer, Quistis
FFIX: Vivi, Beatrix
FFX: Auron, Seymour
FFXII: Balthier, Vayne, Dr. Cid
FFXIII: Sazh, Fang, Barthandalas (a man can dream)
FFXV: Noctis

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I... actually really hate this new vocal work on the Dissidia track. It's shrill, the vocalist audibly struggles with the highs and the Engrish lyrics seem really indecipherable. The acoustics also feel kind of anaemic but that could just be the audio mixing of the video.
I'm a pretty big detractor of Ishimoto's work, but I've always liked Dissidia's main theme since I heard it in the first trailers. But this is like, nopenopenopenope. It just brings out the weaknesses of the original track, which boil down to awkward synthesisers and poor sound mixing.

Here's hoping Tecmo Koei don't run this series into the ground like they did for Dead or Alive. Super pumped that they're putting in Tactics characters, I'd love to see modern takes on more Ivalice-based designs.

Lex

Administrator
Wait why is there a PS4 comparison video if this hasn't been announced for the PS4?

i r confused

Like I have zero interest in this game unless it's being released for the PS4. As will be evidenced by my lack of posting in this thread, even though I loved the Dissidia games :monster:

Splintered

unsavory tart
Aw, I love Ishimoto. I could listen to Crisis Core's ost for days, and The World Ends With You ost was pretty fantastic. Dissidia's got a lot of misses, but it also has some gems. I ignore the travesties like Jenova's remix and skip to Carmen Lucis and Canta Mortis

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Ishimoto's strengths have mostly been his work on electric/acoustic guitars and rock elements. In that, he's very entertaining as a composer - very creative riffs, has a real mastery over rhythm and accompaniment. I enjoyed much of Crisis Core and Last Order for that reason.
His problem is that he puts out a lot of tracks that don't really use it. His synthesised orchestra samples usually sound artificial and weak, something which is honestly starting to feel like his signature sound. His use of electronica is fine but nowhere near that of, say, Hamauzu or many other composers who use it. He seems to enjoy incorporating solo instruments that stand out in a theme (The Price of Freedom is a positive example of this) but again, some tracks get bogged down by the fakest violin you will ever hear from a synthesizer.

Worst of all, his mixing can be a bit mediocre. The Dissidia main theme is superb, but suffers from a muddy orchestra where none of the instruments stand out a whole lot even when they form the main melody.

TL;Dr neat ideas but terrible samples and odd mixing

Top Bottom